Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

MLB 2022 Season: It's Your Pitch, Jay Kirk

6 hours ago, Myles said:

The Brewers beat the Cardinals last night to pull within 7.   They have an outside shot of catching the Cardinals.  They face each other 3 more times.  The Cardinals also play 3 at San Diego and 3 at LA.   

Cardinals

Brewers - 7 back

Cubs - 23 back

Reds - 26.5 back

Pirates - 29 back

Wainwright and Molina will set the record for most starts as a battery in MLB history.  They already have most wins.  

https://fox2now.com/sports/st-louis-cardinals/adam-wainwright-yadier-molina-the-journey-to-mlbs-battery-record/

Don't worry, the Cards get the Reds for the next 3 games. That at least 2 guaranteed wins right there. 

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Update: Judge hit 2 HRs Sunday to put him at 59!!!

Just 1 away from Babe Ruth and 2 from Roger Maris. 3 HRs will give him sole possession of the single season Home Run record, the most prestigious record in sports. 

Go Judge.

Aaron Judge is insane. If we remove all of the home run pursuit stuff, his season would still be among some of the greatest ever. Go Aaron! Heck, go Albert too!

Go Reds, who are inching closer to 100 losses! Only 15 more games to go and all of Reds fans can finally put this miserable season to rest. 

On 9/20/2022 at 10:50 AM, Myles said:

Cardinals start the west coast trip with 3 against the padres and then 3 against the Dodgers.   I would be thrilled if they split those 6 games.  

Didn't start well losing the 1st two to the Padres.  

NL Central standings through September 23rd

1. Cards 88-63

2. Brewers 80-70 (7.5 back)

3. Cubs 65-85 (22.5 back)

4. Reds 59-91 (28.5 back)

5. Pirates 55-95 (32.5 back) - the Pirates stink every year lmao .

Cubs will at least finish 3rd in a rebuild season. Congrats to Cards fans on winning the division. Dodgers are currently 104-46 so I am not sure anyone in the NL can beat them. Then again they have had the best record on a few occasions and have choked. Mets and Braves are really good. In the AL, it is a 2 team race IMO to see who goes to the WS = Yankees, Astros. 

Pujols sits at 698, hope he gets 700. Judge sits at 60, hope he gets 62. Only reason now why I am watching baseball is because of those 2 players. 

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

NL Central standings through September 23rd

1. Cards 88-63

2. Brewers 80-70 (7.5 back)

3. Cubs 65-85 (22.5 back)

4. Reds 59-91 (28.5 back)

5. Pirates 55-95 (32.5 back) - the Pirates stink every year lmao .

Cubs will at least finish 3rd in a rebuild season. Congrats to Cards fans on winning the division. Dodgers are currently 104-46 so I am not sure anyone in the NL can beat them. Then again they have had the best record on a few occasions and have choked. Mets and Braves are really good. In the AL, it is a 2 team race IMO to see who goes to the WS = Yankees, Astros. 

Pujols sits at 698, hope he gets 700. Judge sits at 60, hope he gets 62. Only reason now why I am watching baseball is because of those 2 players. 

Pujols hit 699 and 700 in a win at the Dodgers.  I was happy for him but maybe more happy for the Cards win after losing 2/3 at the Padres.  

Judge stuck on 60, getting fewer pitches to hit and the pressure is increasing. Hope he gets to 62 soon so he can begin to relax. Hope he gets the Triple Crown too. 

It's obvious that Pujols has found what Ponce De  Leon was looking for.  700HRs, that's a lot!!!

Props to him. Maybe him and judge meet in world.series???

Judge did it. 

Finally, 62 in the books.....and Left.field stands!

WOW 62 !!!

He fell a bit in batting average so the Triple Crown looks bleak but still a Historical. Season.

My props to him. He is now my favorite current player and one of my all-time favorites which is a very short list. 

Of.course Bert Jones is my #1 :heart:

The Mets were first in the division all year. But this past weekend was brutal and they lost the division. They win 100 games and still lose the division. Thankfully I did not follow closely but I hope to follow the playoffs  Congrats to the Braves and all other teams that are playoff-bound.

I have not followed baseball much. What is this 3-game series? Is that new?

@Lancer1 It seems you are a baseball fan. What are your thoughts on your team being in the postseason?

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The Mets were first in the division all year. But this past weekend was brutal and they lost the division. They win 100 games and still lose the division. Thankfully I did not follow closely but I hope to follow the playoffs  Congrats to the Braves and all other teams that are playoff-bound.

@Lancer1 It seems you are a baseball fan. What are your thoughts on your team being in the postseason?

I'm pretty pleased, they're playing with house money because with the Dodgers, Braves & Mets all winning 100 or more games, my Padres aren't expected to do much but they've got a few really good pitchers and some exceptional hitters so in a short series, they could surprise some teams. By capturing the #2 NL Wild Card and #5 berth, we'll play the Mets starting Friday in the Wild Card round.

In the 6 games the Padres have played against the Mets this season, they've won 4 of them to include beating Max Scherzer in 1 of those wins.

The 3 game series is new this year, the Wild Card used to be a 1 game playoff against the division winner with the worst record, but this year they expanded the postseason field by adding 2 additional Wild Card berths to each League, now the 2 Divisional winners in each League with the best records get a bye, the Wild Card round is the best of 3 now, and whomever advances out of that plays in a best of 5 Divisional series, followed by a best of 7 League Championship series  that decides who plays in the World Series.

9 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Judge did it. 

Finally, 62 in the books.....and Left.field stands!

WOW 62 !!!

He fell a bit in batting average so the Triple Crown looks bleak but still a Historical. Season.

My props to him. He is now my favorite current player and one of my all-time favorites which is a very short list. 

Of.course Bert Jones is my #1 :heart:

Yeah he got it! great stuff. Here comes the Judge All Rise Sport GIF by YES Network

50 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Mets could still win the World Series. The Dodgers choke a lot and the Mets and Braves are pretty even. Yankees have been inconsistent since early August. My Cubs will finish 3rd in the NL Central, bad year but it is rebuild year. After we won it all in 2016, everything else is gravy anyway. Nobody can ever take 2016 away from me and that team was voted/rated the 7th best team of all-time by MLB experts at 103-58. We had to go through the Giants when they had MadBum and the Dodgers with Kershaw in his prime just to get to the WS. Good luck to your Mets, I like the Mets.

4 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I am glad your Padres got in, I can't stand the Brewers. Baseball is weird sometimes, WildCard teams get on a roll because they can play pressure free. I remember in 2016, the Cubs had an enormous pressure on them because they were favored. When the Indians had us down 3-1 I thought it was over, it is rare for any team to come back from 3-1 in the WS. Once it got to 3-3 I knew we had it though :thmup:

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I had the Cubs winning 75 before the season, they are 73-88 so I was close. Being a Cubs fan since 1984, I am used to more bad seasons than good. I knew this would be a MEH season. 

I remember you said something along the lines that even though the Cubs would beat the Reds in the standings, having 70 wins wasn't much better than having 60 wins in the grand scheme of things. And, you're right. Remarkably nonremarkable season. 

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am glad your Padres got in, I can't stand the Brewers. Baseball is weird sometimes, WildCard teams get on a roll because they can play pressure free. I remember in 2016, the Cubs had an enormous pressure on them because they were favored. When the Indians had us down 3-1 I thought it was over, it is rare for any team to come back from 3-1 in the WS. Once it got to 3-3 I knew we had it though :thmup:

I recall the 1989 film "Back To the Future II" predicting that the Cubs would win the 2015 World Series, they were only off by a year!

The Padres kinda wrecked the Brewers right before the trade deadline, giving them our struggling & recently demoted closer Taylor Rogers for theirs, Josh Hader. The latter righted the ship and is currently our closer, while the Brew Crew failed down the stretch, losing 3 of 4 at home to the Marlins, and blowing small leads in the 8th inning or later in all 3 losses - they could've really used their former All Star closer then, but he was pitching for us and will be this weekend as well.

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I remember you said something along the lines that even though the Cubs would beat the Reds in the standings, having 70 wins wasn't much better than having 60 wins in the grand scheme of things. And, you're right. Remarkably nonremarkable season. 

Yeah when the Cubs got off to a real bad start I was thinking more like 70 so they at least passed that.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Astros are quietly 105-56 without cheating lmao , they may win the AL?

I still think the 2017 WS title should be vacated, the cheating led to the suspensions of their then GM & Manager, and the firings of others who participated by their new teams, but the Astros still have the big trophy and title of World Champions.

1 hour ago, Lancer1 said:

I'm pretty pleased, they're playing with house money because with the Dodgers, Braves & Mets all winning 100 or more games, my Padres aren't expected to do much but they've got a few really good pitchers and some exceptional hitters so in a short series, they could surprise some teams. By capturing the #2 NL Wild Card and #5 berth, we'll play the Mets starting Friday in the Wild Card round.

In the 6 games the Padres have played against the Mets this season, they've won 4 of them to include beating Max Scherzer in 1 of those wins.

The 3 game series is new this year, the Wild Card used to be a 1 game playoff against the division winner with the worst record, but this year they expanded the postseason field by adding 2 additional Wild Card berths to each League, now the 2 Divisional winners in each League with the best records get a bye, the Wild Card round is the best of 3 now, and whomever advances out of that plays in a best of 5 Divisional series, followed by a best of 7 League Championship series  that decides who plays in the World Series.

Thank you for explaining that.

I recall a couple of years ago, some of us here were saying that the Padres would be great soon. The Padres had about 10, maybe more, prospects among the top 100 in the minor leagues, more than any other team by far.

I have not checked the top 100 in a year or so. Have most of those top prospects been promoted to the majors?

I recall when the Padres had Fred McGriff. Am I thinking correctly? The Padres used to play at Jack Murphy stadium. Jack Murphy was the brother of Mets long-time broadcaster and Hall of Famer Bob Murphy who would end the radio broadcasts of Mets wins with "we'll be back with the happy recap." :D

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

We have a great group of fans here. This is one of the best threads. :)

It is the best thread in here IMO. Because of the Cubs playing lousy I just haven't posted in here as much but I love the playoffs regardless and will watch and comment on those games. I hope Jay is doing ok, his Cards won the NL Central.

12 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I still think the 2017 WS title should be vacated, the cheating led to the suspensions of their then GM & Manager, and the firings of others who participated by their new teams, but the Astros still have the big trophy and title of World Champions.

Yeah there should be = * next to that 2017 WS win, now if they win it this year it will be legit. @Jared Cisnerosis a huge Braves fan, they might repeat? No team has done it since the Yankees in 2000, they 3-peated from 1998-2000.

I'm not counting out the Cards for a playoff run. They've got some magic in the air around this season. 

Final day of baseball for most teams including my Reds. Odd feeling that it's over. I'm anxious to see what the ownership does in the following weeks. It will be very telling if we'll be going through another losing season in '23 or if we'll be bridging towards competitive baseball again. 

11 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I'm not counting out the Cards for a playoff run. They've got some magic in the air around this season. 

Final day of baseball for most teams including my Reds. Odd feeling that it's over. I'm anxious to see what the ownership does in the following weeks. It will be very telling if we'll be going through another losing season in '23 or if we'll be bridging towards competitive baseball again. 

Yeah it is over for my Cubs but the playoffs are always entertaining. I am a history guy anyway. I always like comparing Championship teams:

Like, could the 2016 Cubs beat the 2011 Cards in a NLCS situation? Could the 1986 Mets beat the 1998 Yankees = best of the Subway series? Your Big Red Machine team was just before my time, they won in 1975 and 1976, I was born in 1971 and wasn't watching baseball as a 5 year old. One of my unlcle's in KY is a huge Reds fan. He is 8 years older than me, he brings that team up all the time. Dodgers won in 2020 but it was a shortened season = only 60 games, it is legit but nothing like 160 games.

20 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thank you for explaining that.

I recall a couple of years ago, some of us here were saying that the Padres would be great soon. The Padres had about 10, maybe more, prospects among the top 100 in the minor leagues, more than any other team by far.

I have not checked the top 100 in a year or so. Have most of those top prospects been promoted to the majors?

I recall when the Padres had Fred McGriff. Am I thinking correctly? The Padres used to play at Jack Murphy stadium. Jack Murphy was the brother of Mets long-time broadcaster and Hall of Famer Bob Murphy who would end the radio broadcasts of Mets wins with "we'll be back with the happy recap." :D

You’re welcome! 

We did have a pretty good farm system, a lot of those prospects were either promoted or dealt to other teams in trades, but we completely cleaned it out this year before the trading deadline. We gave 1 prospect to the Reds for Brandon Drury, 2 to the Brewers in the deal for Hader and 5 to the Nationals (and a veteran 1st baseman to boot) in the trade for Juan Soto & Josh Bell.

Fred McGriff was part of our lineup in the 1990’s that we called “The Four Tops”, basically 4 leadoff hitters in a row and they were Tony Fernandez, Tony Gwynn, Gary Sheffield & McGriff. Whenever one of them would get a hit at home, a song by the Motown band would play over the loud speakers. The Padres & Chargers played their home games at Jack Murphy Stadium, affectionately known as “The Murph” before Qualcomm bought the naming rights in 1997.

1 hour ago, Lancer1 said:

Fred McGriff was part of our lineup in the 1990’s that we called “The Four Tops”, basically 4 leadoff hitters in a row and they were Tony Fernandez, Tony Gwynn, Gary Sheffield & McGriff. Whenever one of them would get a hit at home, a song by the Motown band would play over the loud speakers. The Padres & Chargers played their home games at Jack Murphy Stadium, affectionately known as “The Murph” before Qualcomm bought the naming rights in 1997.

The Four Tops? I never heard of that. I heard McGriff called the "Crime Dog" but never understood the meaning. He seemed so shy. Those four players were really good. Fernandez died recently, no? And Gwynn died way too young. He loved San Diego and refused to leave when he was a free agent. I remember the union, which was very strong at the time, putting lots of pressure on him to take more money and leave. He said his family was happy there and re-signed.

I always thought McGriff was shortchanged by his being somewhat of an introvert. He may have made the HoF -- maybe not. There was a time when he was the only player with 30+ HRs in six consecutive years. That was before the steroids era. He fell shy of 500 career HRs. Did you know? He started in the Yankees organization. Back in those days, the Yankees traded a lot of their rising prospects for veterans. The two names I remember fans always mentioning in NY radio shows were Fred McGriff and Jay Buhner. There were many others. 

One of my other favorite non-Mets players also played out West but in the AL: Darin Erstad. I don't know what it was but he seemed to play with a lot of heart, hustling. He would have been a great player in the non-DH National League.

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The Four Tops? I never heard of that. I heard McGriff called the "Crime Dog" but never understood the meaning. He seemed so shy. Those four players were really good. Fernandez died recently, no? And Gwynn died way too young. He loved San Diego and refused to leave when he was a free agent. I remember the union, which was very strong at the time, putting lots of pressure on him to take more money and leave. He said his family was happy there and re-signed.

I always thought McGriff was shortchanged by his being somewhat of an introvert. He may have made the HoF -- maybe not. There was a time when he was the only player with 30+ HRs in six consecutive years. That was before the steroids era. He fell shy of 500 career HRs. Did you know? He started in the Yankees organization. Back in those days, the Yankees traded a lot of their rising prospects for veterans. The two names I remember fans always mentioning in NY radio shows were Fred McGriff and Jay Buhner. There were many others. 

One of my other favorite non-Mets players also played out West but in the AL: Darin Erstad. I don't know what it was but he seemed to play with a lot of heart, hustling. He would have been a great player in the non-DH National League.

McGriff is a Hall of Famer IMO, nearly 2500 hits, led the league twice in HR's = 1989 and 1992. He hit 493 HR's being clean/no Roids. He was on a WS Champion in 1995 = Braves. His resume was great. He was called 'crime dog' because they used to have commercials with a dog named McGriff fighting crime.

11 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

McGriff is a Hall of Famer IMO, nearly 2500 hits, led the league twice in HR's = 1989 and 1992. He hit 493 HR's being clean/no Roids. He was on a WS Champion in 1995 = Braves. His resume was great. He was called 'crime dog' because they used to have commercials with a dog named McGriff fighting crime.

It was similar sounding in name to the cartoon crime dog named McGruff, who always wanted to “Take a bite out of crime”.

Tony Fernandez died in 2020, Gwynn sadly 6 years before. He was a local kid who also played basketball in college, in fact I believe he's still holds the record for assists at his alma-mater SDSU. It was fitting that he entered Cooperstown with Cal Ripken, another great who played his entire career with 1 franchise. 

best_815f43a48bd0ad75a043_mcgruff.jpg

1 minute ago, Lancer1 said:

It was similar sounding in name to the cartoon crime dog named McGruff, who always wanted to “Take a bite out of crime”.

Tony Fernandez died in 2020, Gwynn sadly 6 years before. He was a local kid who also played basketball in college, in fact I believe he's still holds the record for assists at his alma-mater SDSU. It was fitting that he entered Cooperstown with Cal Ripken, another great who played his entire career with 1 franchise. 

best_815f43a48bd0ad75a043_mcgruff.jpg

Was it McGruff lmao , well I was close. Tony Gwynn is the best hitter I have ever seen. 

Archived