Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Strong or Corral

Corral and Ridder can run when they want

Strong is your typical pocket passer only

Corral we'd have to trade back into the first round for.....

Ridder and Strong could probably be had if we stay put in the 2nd Round.....

So in reality IF this goes down Wentz is likely gone because you saw how well he handled that type of situation in Philly. That means the rookie starts and learns on the fly on an otherwise playoff run ready roster......

Not sure Ballard and Company would put the team in that kind of pickle? Especially with the "All In" battle cry....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I'll have to do more research on them 

There is a group of like... 5-6 players that all can go anywhere between mid-1st to 3d round IMO. All with their strengths and weaknesses... so I would guess it would be very much "beauty is in the in the eye of the beholder" situation. 

Pickett, Howell, Ridder, Strong, Corral, Willis. 

The most intriguing one for me is Willis, but he's also probably the most not ready right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like them both. 

I think Coral is a little small for the style of play he has.  Extends the play, but I don't think he has the body type for it in the NFL.  Also, from what I've seen from watching Ole Miss games, he seems like an excitable personality, not unlike Wentz in that way.

I have not seen Strong play live at all.  The lack of mobility does not concern me, since I value the QB getting rid of the ball for a quick incompletion more than I do running around and extending the play.  Throw it away, and call a better play next time.

On 2/23/2022 at 12:11 PM, danlhart87 said:

I would honestly take either of them right now over any veteran 

That includes Rodgers and Wilson who would easily cost multiple 1s plus more 

Respectfully, 

I saw one of the talking heads speak on this class, and he said that the best QB from this class would be 6th best QB in last years draft.

The overall thought is that this QB class is weak

To me, if Wilson is available for 2 1's (and probably a player) you would HAVE to do it - He is still young enough to make it make sense, we could get 5 years of solid play

If we have to draft one ok, but not over at least Wilson 

On the other hand, Rodgers seems like a guy that has a year or two left, 

I would NOT offer multiple 1s for him

• Like 3

On 2/23/2022 at 3:08 PM, DougDew said:

I have not seen Strong play live at all.  The lack of mobility does not concern me, since I value the QB getting rid of the ball for a quick incompletion more than I do running around and extending the play.  Throw it away, and call a better play next time.

Carson Strong is not unlike another Carson that we know: both like to play hero ball rather than listen to coaching. This was evident during the practices for the Senior Bowl, where he wanted to stand out and go for the long ball instead of the check down. He also had extensive surgery done on one of his knees and must be cleared medically in that regard.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

Carson Strong is not unlike another Carson that we know: both like to play hero ball rather than listen to coaching. This was evident during the practices for the Senior Bowl, where he wanted to stand out and go for the long ball instead of the check down. He also had extensive surgery done on one of his knees and must be cleared medically in that regard.

It was reported that an NFL doctor examined him and cleared him of any long term issues with the knee.  The issue was described as one of the knee bones cracking back in high school that finally required many degradable nails placed in it to hold it in place to heel.  He was medically cleared to play ahead of schedule but had constant swelling and treatment all 2021 season because bone on bone heeling takes a long time.   It wasn't an ACL rebuild or degenerative condition as has been speculated.

But the Combine health examinations should confirm any issues.

I also read where he is a long-baller.   Also read that he is very good at reading defenses, throwing with anticipation, and throwing his receivers open.  Sort of the mental field-reading part of the game handled well.

8 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Respectfully, 

I saw one of the talking heads speak on this class, and he said that the best QB from this class would be 6th best QB in last years draft.

The overall thought is that this QB class is weak

To me, if Wilson is available for 2 1's (and probably a player) you would HAVE to do it - He is still young enough to make it make sense, we could get 5 years of solid play

If we have to draft one ok, but not over at least Wilson 

On the other hand, Rodgers seems like a guy that has a year or two left, 

I would NOT offer multiple 1s for him

You’re forgetting the money that also comes with Wilson. You’re spending money and draft picks, which we also spent on Wentz. I’d think it’d be hard for Ballard to go 3 years without a 1st round pick and have to pay Wentz and Wilson.

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

You’re forgetting the money that also comes with Wilson. You’re spending money and draft picks, which we also spent on Wentz. I’d think it’d be hard for Ballard to go 3 years without a 1st round pick and have to pay Wentz and Wilson.

I think it's worth a shot if they think they can work the numbers.  We should have pulled the trigger on Stafford last year.

Wilson is better than Stafford in my opinion.   The QB is key. 

22 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I am not forgetting that.....You are absolutely right it would be HARD......  But not impossible

There are many "games" to move salary into signing bonus and move the hit in future years

MANY other teams do it all the time

If there is a way to get Wilson, and he wants to come here, you make it work

2 firsts and our C seems fair.....  If they want our 2nd this year as well... Id do it

If they wanted a 1 and QN...... I would say YES as well

Fill in the holes at DE in FA and WR/TE in draft 

Wilson is the lone "get" that could move the Colts into the SB picture.......  for the next 6-7 years.... thats why I would want him

What I DONT want to do is to give up multiple 1s for Rodgers.......  He seems like he could retire in the next 2 years...... not worth the effort

Carson would have to be cut/traded to pull this off

I will say again..... I HIGHLY doubt that Wilson is truly in play

I heard that Wilson's wife will be heavily involved in any decision on moving and it is rumored that she prefers big cities on the East and West coast. Indy does not stand a chance. Even if Russell wants to come here, she will veto it. 

On 2/25/2022 at 4:26 PM, Dr. T said:

I heard that Wilson's wife will be heavily involved in any decision on moving and it is rumored that she prefers big cities on the East and West coast. Indy does not stand a chance. Even if Russell wants to come here, she will veto it. 

Maybe

I have heard the same, but what can you trust these days?

Wilson doesn't seem to be getting any closer to SBs in Seattle

Prolly not gonna happen though

7 minutes ago, coltsfan40 said:

Qb go higher than they should why u said this. Once 2nd rd hits teams will move up get the one they would. I like Howell too 

I think this board way overvalues the QB position when it comes to drafting. I remember people saying anthony Gordon would be gone early in the second round and he went undrafted

On 2/27/2022 at 6:26 PM, coltsfan40 said:

Maybe so but it does happen if they really like one over all I think irsay has final say to go get him. Irsay wants Wentz gone and after Jacksonville loss. He called them in and I believe he said that very thing. 

Irsay to Wentz

Kids In The Hall Comedy GIF by CBC

• Haha 1

Just watched some of Corral yesterday. He's interesting.

Good athlete, he'll pull it down and scramble away from defenders, has some nice kick to him when he runs it, he senses pressure and decides quickly whether to throw it or take off. He's a good enough athlete that his ability to move will help him avoid pressure, extend plays, and pick up yards as a runner. You can also scheme him as a runner, and he'll hurt defenses in that capacity.

His size is why you might not want him to run a lot in the NFL -- listed at 6'1", 205 pounds, not great size for the position, kind of wiry. Don't want him taking a lot of hits. And his lack of height might be a problem with interior linemen. When he runs, he'll slide, didn't see him take a lot of hits. 

His arm is interesting. He can make a lot of throws, can deliver from different arm slots, he has some zip on his balls through traffic and to the boundary, can make some big throws, but he's also pretty good at anticipating, so his timing is doing some work there. He doesn't have a very powerful arm, probably doesn't the arm strength to push the ball downfield in the pros, had several underthrown deep passes. Zach Wilson does all the side arm stuff, but with more power and range. 

Technique is inconsistent. HIs footwork from shotgun is more reliable, when dropping from under center he gets a little crossed up, feet get too close to each other. His drops can be wild and a little all over the place at times, but he's usually pretty steady and drops with a plan. His sequencing gets off track, especially when he's anticipating a deeper throw, and he'll get hoppy, which makes him bounce up and down on his toes, rather than anchoring for the deep pass. So he's undermining his power, and doesn't have the raw arm strength to make up for it. His deep balls might perform a little better if he steadies himself, but he's not going to challenge Patrick Mahomes for deep ball performance. (If you watch the QB School video on him vs Florida, you'll see several examples.) 

Processing/reading defenses appears to be a strength. He's not necessarily going through all five progressions, but he's able to read pre and post snap pretty quickly, and make the right call on the front side of the play, which is really important. He could improve his plan vs blitzers, you can't always just drift/run away from the pressure, have to identify your hot route and throw it quickly to excel vs the blitz. But reading safeties and coverages seems like something he's comfortable with, which makes sense with Lane Kiffin running the offense at Ole Miss. 

I think he's a good second round prospect. His size and arm strength are big knocks. HIs athleticism and ability to process quickly are good assets. His technique will require coaching and drilling, and because he has the playmaker gene he'll probably need to consistently be reminded of his fundamentals. I don't see future franchise QB for him.

If you could combine Corral and Strong, you'd have Dak Prescott.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Superman said:

Just watched some of Corral yesterday. He's interesting.

Good athlete, he'll pull it down and scramble away from defenders, has some nice kick to him when he runs it, he senses pressure and decides quickly whether to throw it or take off. He's a good enough athlete that his ability to move will help him avoid pressure, extend plays, and pick up yards as a runner. You can also scheme him as a runner, and he'll hurt defenses in that capacity.

His size is why you might not want him to run a lot in the NFL -- listed at 6'1", 205 pounds, not great size for the position, kind of wiry. Don't want him taking a lot of hits. And his lack of height might be a problem with interior linemen. When he runs, he'll slide, didn't see him take a lot of hits. 

His arm is interesting. He can make a lot of throws, can deliver from different arm slots, he has some zip on his balls through traffic and to the boundary, can make some big throws, but he's also pretty good at anticipating, so his timing is doing some work there. He doesn't have a very powerful arm, probably doesn't the arm strength to push the ball downfield in the pros, had several underthrown deep passes. Zach Wilson does all the side arm stuff, but with more power and range. 

Technique is inconsistent. HIs footwork from shotgun is more reliable, when dropping from under center he gets a little crossed up, feet get too close to each other. His drops can be wild and a little all over the place at times, but he's usually pretty steady and drops with a plan. His sequencing gets off track, especially when he's anticipating a deeper throw, and he'll get hoppy, which makes him bounce up and down on his toes, rather than anchoring for the deep pass. So he's undermining his power, and doesn't have the raw arm strength to make up for it. His deep balls might perform a little better if he steadies himself, but he's not going to challenge Patrick Mahomes for deep ball performance. (If you watch the QB School video on him vs Florida, you'll see several examples.) 

Processing/reading defenses appears to be a strength. He's not necessarily going through all five progressions, but he's able to read pre and post snap pretty quickly, and make the right call on the front side of the play, which is really important. He could improve his plan vs blitzers, you can't always just drift/run away from the pressure, have to identify your hot route and throw it quickly to excel vs the blitz. But reading safeties and coverages seems like something he's comfortable with, which makes sense with Lane Kiffin running the offense at Ole Miss. 

I think he's a good second round prospect. His size and arm strength are big knocks. HIs athleticism and ability to process quickly are good assets. His technique will require coaching and drilling, and because he has the playmaker gene he'll probably need to consistently be reminded of his fundamentals. I don't see future franchise QB for him.

If you could combine Corral and Strong, you'd have Dak Prescott.

We can rebuild him 

We have the technology 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

One way or another I think Strong, Ridder, or Howell will a Colt in April. Corral doesn’t scream Ballard guy to me.

Strong is said to have a very bad knee.   His medicals are said to be hugely important for everyone.   May make the difference in him being a Day 2 guy, or a Day 3 guy.

Personally, I don’t want us to take a QB this year.   Any quarterback.   Whoever we’d take won’t play.   Won’t contribute.   We need our draft picks to contribute as much as possible.   

If we’re in win now mode, then using a Day 2 pick on a QB goes against that plan. 

JMO. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Strong is said to have a very bad knee.   His medicals are said to be hugely important for everyone.   May make the difference in him being a Day 2 guy, or a Day 3 guy.

Personally, I don’t want us to take a QB this year.   Any quarterback.   Whoever we’d take won’t play.   Won’t contribute.   We need our draft picks to contribute as much as possible.   

If we’re in win now mode, then using a Day 2 pick on a QB goes against that plan. 

JMO. 

It’s fine if they don’t play. That would actually be preferred. They can sit and learn the speed of the pro game and the playbook behind either Wentz or a FA quarterback. In my head we’re spending our 2nd round (possibly moving into the back half of the first round) on a QB. We still have picks in rounds 3-7. I expect Ballard might trade up a bit anyways, so there’s plenty of capital available to get contributors. We have to supplement through FA too. 

We’re in win now mode but we need to think about being in “win for an extended period of time” mode. You don’t get a QB, that win now window eventually closes and you’re just stuck in obscurity. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

JMO. 

Did a couple of simulation drafts. I didn't adjust any settings  and Strong was still available for us in the 3rd a lot of the time 

5 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Did a couple of simulation drafts. I didn't adjust any settings  and Strong was still available for us in the 3rd a lot of the time 

Im sure he is.   

But here’s the thing about simulations.   They’re terrible up until about mid-April, two weeks before the draft.   That’s when most everyone has done their final rankings.  

So until then…. They’re fun and addictive, but mostly worthless.  

• Like 1