Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Possible Free Agent fix at LT

Just read a PFF article that suggested Terron Armstead as the most intriguing Free Agent fix for the LT position. The saints will have a hard time resigning him as they are roughly 75 million over the cap. Armstead seems like the best person to take over the LT position as he is a proven player and an immediate upgrade to Fisher who struggled last season. The only problem is it would be a large investment to an Offensive line that is already expensive, but I would prefer to have a proven player at LT and find a cheap option at RG than go cheap at LT.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/pff-colts-are-most-intriguing-landing-spot-for-terron-armstead/ar-AAU2jNx

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

Armstead will cost 18+ 

Yeah, it would be spendy, but having Pinter start at RG saves roughly 5 million when compared to Glowinski's last season, then draft a couple developmental guards and after this season move Pinter to C and trade kelly which would save roughly 8 million and move a draft pick to RG. 

It would still be more than you would like, but after this season I think we have seen that you can't have a bad LT even if you good to great players on the rest of the line.

2 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Just read a PFF article that suggested Terron Armstead as the most intriguing Free Agent fix for the LT position. The saints will have a hard time resigning him as they are roughly 75 million over the cap. Armstead seems like the best person to take over the LT position as he is a proven player and an immediate upgrade to Fisher who struggled last season. The only problem is it would be a large investment to an Offensive line that is already expensive, but I would prefer to have a proven player at LT and find a cheap option at RG than go cheap at LT.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/pff-colts-are-most-intriguing-landing-spot-for-terron-armstead/ar-AAU2jNx

Both PFF and Spotrac view Armstead as one of the top 5 potential free agents.  He’ll be looking for $18+ mill per year.   

I don’t see Ballard paying that for a FA OT.  Even one that good. 

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Both PFF and Spotrac view Armstead as one of the top 5 potential free agents.  He’ll be looking for $18+ mill per year.   

I don’t see Ballard paying that for a FA OT.  Even one that good. 

Maybe Ballard will change his ways this season.  Should be interesting to say the least. 

20 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Yeah, it would be spendy, but having Pinter start at RG saves roughly 5 million when compared to Glowinski's last season, then draft a couple developmental guards and after this season move Pinter to C and trade kelly which would save roughly 8 million and move a draft pick to RG. 

It would still be more than you would like, but after this season I think we have seen that you can't have a bad LT even if you good to great players on the rest of the line.

Kelly is not in the same generational mold as Big Q, so yes he is a chess piece I would be willing to part with to make room for Armstead. I have confidence in Ballard's coaching staff to get another quality center on Day 3. Fisher can go skate somewhere else if that is the case. :) 

It would also be a long term fix, IMO. Tough decisions will have to be made but if Ballard believes in the trenches, this would be putting money where his mouth is, just like with Buckner. I would be all for it.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

It would also be a long term fix, IMO. Tough decisions will have to be made but if Ballard believes in the trenches, this would be putting money where his mouth is, just like with Buckner. I would be all for it.

Putting money where his mouth is to me is the opposite. Not gutting the line. If he spends on Armstead but still keeps Glow/Reed and Pryor then he is putting his money where his mouth is as he believes in the trenches. Just my point of view though. 

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

Putting money where his mouth is to me is the opposite. Not gutting the line. If he spends on Armstead but still keeps Glow/Reed and Pryor then he is putting his money where his mouth is as he believes in the trenches. Just my point of view though. 

No one is recommending gutting the line here. A quantitative body is not the same as a quality body on the O-line, whether you believe in the trenches or not. If he believes Reed can step up for Glow and keeps Reed, and if he believes Pryor can play swing tackle while getting Armstead and letting go of Fisher, those would still be quality moves if they have done the evaluation. 

One can only do so much with the salary cap, especially if the team has to pay Q. Draft replacements will be in order for Center if we trade Kelly and put Pinter in for the long term. If they feel Pryor is that swing tackle, great. They will have 9 quality OL in some form or fashion, IMO. Hopefully we are relatively lucky on the injury front compared to last year. The end result with the OL produced is what will define if the money is well spent.

Spotrac estimates Armstead will get 23.9 million per year.  That kills our cap.

I like Eric Fisher for another year.  He will be one and half years removed from his Achilles injury and I expect much improved next year.  I view him as an asset we don't appreciate until he is gone - ie Anthony Costanzo. He was very good in run game but lacking in pass protection.  With a full off season and second season with Colts coaching staff, we will see jump in pass protection, both with his effectiveness and coaching adapting schemes to his strengths.

16 hours ago, chad72 said:

No one is recommending gutting the line here. A quantitative body is not the same as a quality body on the O-line, whether you believe in the trenches or not. If he believes Reed can step up for Glow and keeps Reed, and if he believes Pryor can play swing tackle while getting Armstead and letting go of Fisher, those would still be quality moves if they have done the evaluation. 

One can only do so much with the salary cap, especially if the team has to pay Q. Draft replacements will be in order for Center if we trade Kelly and put Pinter in for the long term. If they feel Pryor is that swing tackle, great. They will have 9 quality OL in some form or fashion, IMO. Hopefully we are relatively lucky on the injury front compared to last year. The end result with the OL produced is what will define if the money is well spent.

Ok maybe I misunderstood you. My response and your above comment are the same so we are on the same line now lol. Regardless I highly doubt he gets rid of a Pro-Bowl center for Pinter. Reed might get the nod based on cap restraints. No way he gives Armstead a FA contract. Overpayment is common and I doubt he goes after that much. Pryor and probably Fisher are in play IMO. 

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He won’t even get $20m.   If he’s lucky, he might get $15m per.   And that would be generous based on his full career to date. 

Smart, except he already signed his franchise from that last that paid him a lot more than that, and the Jags might just tag him again. He'll sign a 5 year 120 million dollar contract, at least..

20 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

Smart, except he already signed his franchise from that last that paid him a lot more than that, and the Jags might just tag him again. He'll sign a 5 year 120 million dollar contract, at least..

In the NFL, teams will pay above market value on a franchise tag because it’s only one year.   But the player wants multiple years at a high number.   Often, to get the multiple years, the player has to bring his number down.   He can have one or the other, but not both.   Only a great player can have both.  

And Robinson isn’t great.   He’s far from great.   So he can get tagged again for one year, or bring his number down for multiple years.   He’s had exactly one very good year.   That’s it.  He won’t even sniff the number you tossed around.   

23 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I have said this for months. IF we can sign Armstead, trade Nelson for a 1st & 3rd. Resign Reed/Glow or play Pinter there. 

We won’t do it. But, you solve LT, have a solid LG replacement, plus ammo to possibly get your QB

you wont get that for Nelson. He is heading into his last contract year and will most likely ask around 20 million

5 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

you wont get that for Nelson. He is heading into his last contract year and will most likely ask around 20 million

So Orlando Brown got a 1st round, 3rd round, and early 4th round pick and was in his last year. That means they new he would also have to pay him a lot as well. So saying Nelson won’t get that draft capital is wrong. Now the 20 number being thrown around still makes no sense to me. He will get 18 probably. 

2 hours ago, runthepost said:

Won’t matter if Wentz is the QB.

I disagree. We’re likely stuck with him for another year. Fixing the imbalance  in the O line salaries and getting upgrades at WR, TE, LT and DE have to happen regardless of QB. This team’s problems do not begin and end with just Wentz. 

Armstead-Nelson-Pinter-Daniels-Smith would be my ideal line with Reed, Pryor, and Fries as my backups. 

Armstead may be too expensive for CB. I see a two year deal for Duane Brown as a short-term fix and an upgrade to Fisher.  Seattle might not let him walk. If that’s the case then they may be stuck with Fisher. 

On 2/23/2022 at 11:12 AM, Hoose said:

I disagree. We’re likely stuck with him for another year. Fixing the imbalance  in the O line salaries and getting upgrades at WR, TE, LT and DE have to happen regardless of QB. This team’s problems do not begin and end with just Wentz. 

How are the imbalance in o-line salaries going to get balanced when Ballard is about to sign Nelson to his big contract.   As long as Nelson is a Colt, that imbalance will exist. 

It's funny watching you guys argue about the left tackle position because the Jag board is doing the exact same thing! 

First, Robinson is definitely not great. Many of our fans want to let him go, then draft one of the top three tackles or sign a free agent. I am in favor of tagging him again or preferably signing him to a new reasonable contract. While he has not been great, he has also not been terrible. Better yet, last year was by far his best as far as stats go. He only gave up one sack but he did have 20+ pressures. A concern though is that with a different QB many of those pressures could have been sacks. For that reason, he would not be a good fit for the Colts, IMO.

Armstead is going to want ridiculous money (Robinson may want it as well). He also has a significant injury history that would concern me. 

My take for the Colts is you roll again with Fisher. Coming off injury he was not great last year but the guy has been pretty darn good most of his career. My gut tells me he will be better this year meaning closer to his old form than he was last year.

Archived