Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Consolation Prize

Broncos swing and miss with Aaron Rodgers. Our 2 organizations have great history together so let's make a trade.

Wentz and a 4th round pick 

(4th round so they can eat the cap hit)

Logic: Denver has more weapons than the Colts. All in all Wentz stats on the surface looks good maybe with better WRs and TE he can be more successful.

For

Drew Lock 6'4 228lbs

2022 Salary cap hit 1.3 million 

Logic: Salary dump and flexibility. Lock provides young upside and could be QB of the future but most likely just a place holder for 2023 draft prospect.

Keep

Chris Reed, Matt Pryor, Turray, Mo Alie-Cox, Zaire Franklin, Zach Pascal 

Bring in 

Casey Hayward *played with Gus*

Desmond King *played with Gus* made Pro bowl under Gus as CB and as Punt returner that year 2018

Will Fuller cheap 1 year prove it contract. Fuller can alternate with Campbell being a field stretcher for Lock deep ball.

Dante Fowler  *played with Gus* he had a field day playing next to Aaron Donald. Hopefully he can recapture that with DeFo

Mike Gesicki last year the Patriots put out big money for TEs and didn't see the return. Hopefully this causes other teams to be gun shy. This is where the bulk of the money saved from Wentz and not resigning Fisher goes to. 

Draft

2. Nicholas Petit-Frere OT 6'5 315lbs OSU

Keep Matt Pryor and have them split time at LT

3. John Metchie WR 6' 195lbs Alabama

Good routes and hands I think putting him in the slot

5. Kennedy Brooks RB 5'11 215lbs OU 

A more traditional RB to put in mix with JT and Hines

5. Cam Taylor-Britt CB 6' 205lbs Nebraska

Decent size CB who Excell in zone

6. Smoke Monday SAF 6'3 199lbs Auburn

Odom replacement.

7.Tre Williams DE 6'5 250lbs Arkansas

Had a DUI or would go much higher, we took a risk with Bobby O. and it paid off. He would be Tyquan Lewis replacement.

7. Big Kat DE 6'5 250lbs UCF

More of a 3-4 OLB he is a project. Former 4 or 5 star recruit that just need to put it all together but could be our leo.

Overall

We give Lock some weapons to Work with.

RB: JT, Hines, Brooks

WR: MPJ, Fuller, Metchie, Pascal, Campbell

TE: Gesicki, Mo Alie-Cox, Granson

We give Gus Bradley some depth and chess pieces

D-line: DeFo, Grover, Turray, Fowler, Dayo, Paye,Williams, Kat

LB: Leonard, Bobby O., Speed

CB: Hayward, Rock, Kenny Moore, King, Rodgers, TB

SAF: Blackmon, Willis, King, Monday

While maintaining a great special teams

Punt/Kick returner:

Desmond King (pro bowler), Isiah Rodgers, Hines

Overall we will get better while embodying CB motto of its more than one person/position.

14 hours ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

Broncos swing and miss with Aaron Rodgers. Our 2 organizations have great history together so let's make a trade.

Wentz and a 4th round pick 

(4th round so they can eat the cap hit)

Logic: Denver has more weapons than the Colts. All in all Wentz stats on the surface looks good maybe with better WRs and TE he can be more successful.

For

Drew Lock 6'4 228lbs

2022 Salary cap hit 1.3 million 

Logic: Salary dump and flexibility. Lock provides young upside and could be QB of the future but most likely just a place holder for 2023 draft prospect.

Keep

Chris Reed, Matt Pryor, Turray, Mo Alie-Cox, Zaire Franklin, Zach Pascal 

Bring in 

Casey Hayward *played with Gus*

Desmond King *played with Gus* made Pro bowl under Gus as CB and as Punt returner that year 2018

Will Fuller cheap 1 year prove it contract. Fuller can alternate with Campbell being a field stretcher for Lock deep ball.

Dante Fowler  *played with Gus* he had a field day playing next to Aaron Donald. Hopefully he can recapture that with DeFo

Mike Gesicki last year the Patriots put out big money for TEs and didn't see the return. Hopefully this causes other teams to be gun shy. This is where the bulk of the money saved from Wentz and not resigning Fisher goes to. 

Draft

2. Nicholas Petit-Frere OT 6'5 315lbs OSU

Keep Matt Pryor and have them split time at LT

3. John Metchie WR 6' 195lbs Alabama

Good routes and hands I think putting him in the slot

5. Kennedy Brooks RB 5'11 215lbs OU 

A more traditional RB to put in mix with JT and Hines

5. Cam Taylor-Britt CB 6' 205lbs Nebraska

Decent size CB who Excell in zone

6. Smoke Monday SAF 6'3 199lbs Auburn

Odom replacement.

7.Tre Williams DE 6'5 250lbs Arkansas

Had a DUI or would go much higher, we took a risk with Bobby O. and it paid off. He would be Tyquan Lewis replacement.

7. Big Kat DE 6'5 250lbs UCF

More of a 3-4 OLB he is a project. Former 4 or 5 star recruit that just need to put it all together but could be our leo.

Overall

We give Lock some weapons to Work with.

RB: JT, Hines, Brooks

WR: MPJ, Fuller, Metchie, Pascal, Campbell

TE: Gesicki, Mo Alie-Cox, Granson

We give Gus Bradley some depth and chess pieces

D-line: DeFo, Grover, Turray, Fowler, Dayo, Paye,Williams, Kat

LB: Leonard, Bobby O., Speed

CB: Hayward, Rock, Kenny Moore, King, Rodgers, TB

SAF: Blackmon, Willis, King, Monday

While maintaining a great special teams

Punt/Kick returner:

Desmond King (pro bowler), Isiah Rodgers, Hines

Overall we will get better while embodying CB motto of its more than one person/position.

Thanks for posting

The good 

I love Gesicki but believe that he will be resigned by Dolphins (They have a PILE of cap $$$$$)

He is a rising talent 

Love John Metchie.... Just what this offense needs

Love keeping Pryor/ and Reed

Love Cam (CB)  for the Colts we need to get a mid round CB every year

Like Fuller at WR, should be a good pickup between he and Campbell ONE of the two should be able to play

(Maybe we can get them as ONE Player :) )

The bad (IMHO)

I dont get the sense that Lock is an improvement over Wentz... maybe a step back 

Its a one year savings to get Lock which would seem that we are treading water

I watched Petite get owned by Michigan DEs (Im an enormous OSU fan)

He will face better every week in the NFL..... I think he moves to the right side

Donte Fowler has been cut, so could be available.... he only had 4.5 sacks last year. 

That, IMHO is NOT the solution, we need NEED a stud DE (someone to get 10-14 sacks)

THANKS for posting

Howdy, @Mr. Too Proud!  

I suppose you're wanting reactions to your plan.  So here's mine!

I understand your logic behind the QB trade.  On one hand, Wentz can be a pretty good player if he has more weapons around him.  And on the other hand, Lock isn't a terrible player, and would free up a lot of cap space to spend elsewhere.

My question is:  Are either Wentz or Lock a long-term solution?  If the answer is no, then you have to ask the next question:  Which QB gives you a better chance of winning playoff games this year.  Irsay has thrown down the gauntlet, and the seats are getting hot.  "Building a better team" isn't good enough anymore.  It's time to win.  And if both options are meh, then what do you do?  Personally, I'm with @danlhart87 on this one.  You give Wentz better weapons and let him play.

I see you're going with the OT at pick 47 Plan.  Which means if you're not going WR at that spot, then you need to upgrade the position in free agency.  I'm not sure Will Fuller is going to give you the best return on this.  He's fast, but he's never proven he has great hands.  Personally, I would go with either Christian Kirk or JuJu Smith-Schuster.  Although they would definitely cost more than Fuller!

Special note:  Smoke Monday is my favorite player in the draft.  I love the violence with which he tackles.  Of course, he's a box safety, and that's not what we need.  But since we're probably dropping Andrew Sendejo, we're gonna need to fill that "enforcer" position.  If Smoke is available in the 5th or 6th round, I would grab him in a hot second.

Nice post!

17 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Keep Wentz and put weapons around him

Outside of Ertz no one has came out to Wentz defense. No one wants to play with this guy. NFL players talk and I think it's easy to say let's add weapons but realistically who? We are already a small market. We seen Ebron, Johnson and others come to play with Luck. Wentz doesn't have this pull so we are either getting guys trying to cash in for the last time or drafting weapons imo

9 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Thanks for posting

The good 

I love Gesicki but believe that he will be resigned by Dolphins (They have a PILE of cap $$$$$)

He is a rising talent 

Love John Metchie.... Just what this offense needs

Love keeping Pryor/ and Reed

Love Cam (CB)  for the Colts we need to get a mid round CB every year

Like Fuller at WR, should be a good pickup between he and Campbell ONE of the two should be able to play

(Maybe we can get them as ONE Player :) )

The bad (IMHO)

I dont get the sense that Lock is an improvement over Wentz... maybe a step back 

Its a one year savings to get Lock which would seem that we are treading water

I watched Petite get owned by Michigan DEs (Im an enormous OSU fan)

He will face better every week in the NFL..... I think he moves to the right side

Donte Fowler has been cut, so could be available.... he only had 4.5 sacks last year. 

That, IMHO is NOT the solution, we need NEED a stud DE (someone to get 10-14 sacks)

THANKS for posting

Thanks for the feedback, I was debating bringing in Duane Brown for him to learn behind but I just didn't see Petit-Frere getting enough reps.

Gesicki is a sleeper, it's so many TE available. I have no idea what Miami might do but I've seen what Reich did for Ebron so this wouldn't be a bad move for him.

Dante Fowler was a monster next to Donald with the Rams. DeFo might not be Donald but he can hold his weight. Plus I think he (DeFo) was one of the top double team guys in the league. I wanted to use Fowler primarily for the Leo role

7 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Howdy, @Mr. Too Proud!  

I suppose you're wanting reactions to your plan.  So here's mine!

I understand your logic behind the QB trade.  On one hand, Wentz can be a pretty good player if he has more weapons around him.  And on the other hand, Lock isn't a terrible player, and would free up a lot of cap space to spend elsewhere.

My question is:  Are either Wentz or Lock a long-term solution?  If the answer is no, then you have to ask the next question:  Which QB gives you a better chance of winning playoff games this year.  Irsay has thrown down the gauntlet, and the seats are getting hot.  "Building a better team" isn't good enough anymore.  It's time to win.  And if both options are meh, then what do you do?  Personally, I'm with @danlhart87 on this one.  You give Wentz better weapons and let him play.

I see you're going with the OT at pick 47 Plan.  Which means if you're not going WR at that spot, then you need to upgrade the position in free agency.  I'm not sure Will Fuller is going to give you the best return on this.  He's fast, but he's never proven he has great hands.  Personally, I would go with either Christian Kirk or JuJu Smith-Schuster.  Although they would definitely cost more than Fuller!

Special note:  Smoke Monday is my favorite player in the draft.  I love the violence with which he tackles.  Of course, he's a box safety, and that's not what we need.  But since we're probably dropping Andrew Sendejo, we're gonna need to fill that "enforcer" position.  If Smoke is available in the 5th or 6th round, I would grab him in a hot second.

Nice post!

Thanks for replying, I just don't see the weapons everyone is talking about. I hope I am wrong but I don't see anybody other than Ertz willing to play with him again. DeSean Jackson would have been great for us last year but he doesn't want to play with Wentz. So either we are overpaying (play for Wentz and also a small market) or we are drafting these weapons. Oh and we are a little cash strap this year as well.

I agree it's far fetched but I just don't see it with Wentz especially after this smear campaign.....

Archived