Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft Rumors

Would love to see this team be aggressive and move up a little for the player they target. Im just not sure Brockers should be that guy unless we are very confident he can become the next Richard Seymour.

If we got Brockers, we would maybe have to entertain trade offers for Drake Nevis since he wouldnt be needed at 3-4 DE. I believe with his good play when he was healthy, we could try and garner a late 2nd round pick for him. If not, then keep him and use him however we can.

According to BleacherReport we are considering moving back into the first round to select Michael Brockers.

I like Brockers, but not enough to get rid of picks in 2012 and 2013 for him. If he was a game-changing NT, the next Ngota type guy, maybe. But he's not. He's a red shirt sophomore, and still has some rawness to his game. He was not a stud in the middle of that LSU D. I actually think he may go 3-4 DE in the NFL. He's 6'6", and I think won't have the leverage at the NFL level necessary to play NT. And I don't want to give up pick 34, the fourth rounder, and some pick in 2013 for a DE.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664406

I found a seven round mock draft here http://www.draftsite...ock-draft/2012/ that actually is very interesting. It has us taking DT Brandon Thompson out of Clemson in the second round.

Thompson looks like a pretty decent prospect. He has his pros and cons. Here's a decent profile for him http://www.cbssports...randon-thompson

I like this part from the CBS Sports player profile link above:

Thompson was a classroom and weight-room fanatic since high school, which earned him Academic Honor Roll recognition in 2010 and the weight-lifting statistics of a tractor -- 450-pound single bench press, 36 reps with 225 pounds (34 at the Combine), 615-pound squat lift and 370-pound power clean.

On the field that translates to somebody smart enough to know what to do and strong enough to get it done. He explodes off the line with tremendous force and uses his wicked strong hands to gain an advantage. This helps him as a dangerous bull rusher, but he is not really a pass rush threat.

Nicknamed "Yams" in recognition of the huge thighs that help him clog the middle of Clemson's defense, Thompson is an immovable object willing and able to crush anything that tries to get past him. His college statistics may not be relevant because offenses tried to stay out of his way, even if it took two men to do so.

Thompson may be NFL ready right now, but he is already maximizing his physical ability and may have marginal upside.

They are only saying that because the Colts worked out Brockers. Just because they worked him out, it doesn't mean they'll trade up to get him. It's a possibility, but in a mode like we're in, it's best to keep all our picks.

They are only saying that because the Colts worked out Brockers. Just because they worked him out, it doesn't mean they'll trade up to get him. It's a possibility, but in a mode like we're in, it's best to keep all our picks.

It may have been that same Bleacher Report, or maybe CBS, that said something like half the NFL teams asked for a visit from Brockers. The other extreme to me is the Colts haven't had one WR and only one TE in for a visit, and I would be shocked if one or both of those positions aren't drafted at some point. I think a lot of the top picks are pretty set with NFL teams. Look at the Bleacher Report list of players who have scheduled visits - lots of guys at the back end of the draft, later round picks. Those guys may well need a more thorough look, a deeper discussion than could be had at the combine, some of those guys don't get invited to the combine...

could brockers possibly play NT? at 6'6 , 322 pounds, he has the size

yes brockers is big enough to play nt and he's the best run stopping dt in the draft.if he falls to mid 20's i would give up our 2nd 4th,5th and a 4th next year for him.we could still get a starter in round 3 someone like janoris jenkins,brian quick,orson charles.

yes brockers is big enough to play nt and he's the best run stopping dt in the draft.if he falls to mid 20's i would give up our 2nd 4th,5th and a 4th next year for him.we could still get a starter in round 3 someone like janoris jenkins,brian quick,orson charles.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/michael-brockers?id=2533050

The above, and most other assessments of Brockers, have him more suited as a 4-3 DT, and maybe long term a 3-4 DE, although his pass rushing skills don't exist at all right now. He started one year. And moved all over the DL. I would give up what you're suggesting for a ready-to-start 3-4 NT, but that is not at all what Brockers is now, and may never turn into one. His height (leverage issues), lack of experience, lack of upper body strength (19 reps at the combine, 21 at LSU pro day on the bench) tell me he isn't a plug and play NT for a 3-4 D. I hope the Colts aren't consiering giving up three or four picks for a guy who needs lots of work, and is sort of wiithout a defined position/role at this stage of his football life. I think he is a perfect example of a guy who would have benefited greatly going back to school - he had two years of eligibility left. He might turn into a top five pick type guy in two years with reps, with more weight training, with more time at NT or DE or both at LSU. He is a project, and I think the Colts can't afford projects with the 34th pick, let alone giving up multiple picks for one.

I agree with you, but if there is an impact player who wont last to us, Id be fine with trading up a little to get him. Provided its a position more of need than 3-4 DE like Brockers is. A WR, NT, or CB are positions of dire need.

Yeah bad idea we need the draft picks also we can get Hicks later on, stupid idea,

Hicks was the better recruit out of HS. If it wasn't for his eligibility issues at LSU and having to transfer to Regina he might be the DT out of LSU going in the 1st round this year. We should be able to grab this guy with our 5th round pick and not have to break the bank with trading draft picks for Brockers. Trading down the 34 pick is more likely then moving back into 1st round.

I'd say were set with where were at as far as number of picks and positioning

1.Luck

2.J Jenkins

3.AJ Jenkins, Criner, Sanu, the best available at 3

4.Tight End, Charles, Allen, Egnew, or Green best available (preferably Allen or Charles)

5.Hicks

5.wouldnt mind going Guard here but ideally would like to go Wide receiver. any suggestions? (keeping in line with those positions?)

6.Baptiste

7.Linebacker

7.Christ Owusu

7,Tight End

Hicks was the better recruit out of HS. If it wasn't for his eligibility issues at LSU and having to transfer to Regina he might be the DT out of LSU going in the 1st round this year. We should be able to grab this guy with our 5th round pick and not have to break the bank with trading draft picks for Brockers. Trading down the 34 pick is more likely then moving back into 1st round.

Ill go with Hicks for sure

I found a seven round mock draft here http://www.draftsite...ock-draft/2012/ that actually is very interesting. It has us taking DT Brandon Thompson out of Clemson in the second round.

Thompson looks like a pretty decent prospect. He has his pros and cons. Here's a decent profile for him http://www.cbssports...randon-thompson

I like this part from the CBS Sports player profile link above:

Thompson was a classroom and weight-room fanatic since high school, which earned him Academic Honor Roll recognition in 2010 and the weight-lifting statistics of a tractor -- 450-pound single bench press, 36 reps with 225 pounds (34 at the Combine), 615-pound squat lift and 370-pound power clean.

On the field that translates to somebody smart enough to know what to do and strong enough to get it done. He explodes off the line with tremendous force and uses his wicked strong hands to gain an advantage. This helps him as a dangerous bull rusher, but he is not really a pass rush threat.

Nicknamed "Yams" in recognition of the huge thighs that help him clog the middle of Clemson's defense, Thompson is an immovable object willing and able to crush anything that tries to get past him. His college statistics may not be relevant because offenses tried to stay out of his way, even if it took two men to do so.

Thompson may be NFL ready right now, but he is already maximizing his physical ability and may have marginal upside.

That draft is horrible

Criner undrafted and fleener making it to 33

I'd say were set with where were at as far as number of picks and positioning

1.Luck

2.J Jenkins

3.AJ Jenkins, Criner, Sanu, the best available at 3

4.Tight End, Charles, Allen, Egnew, or Green best available (preferably Allen or Charles)

5.Hicks

5.wouldnt mind going Guard here but ideally would like to go Wide receiver. any suggestions? (keeping in line with those positions?)

6.Baptiste

7.Linebacker

7.Christ Owusu

7,Tight End

Suggestions at Guard for second 5th round pick: Lucas Nix/Ryan Miller/Andrew Tiller/Brandon Washington Suggestions at WR: T.y. Hilton/Tommy Streeter/Danny Coale

Suggestions at Guard for second 5th round pick: Lucas Nix/Ryan Miller/Andrew Tiller/Brandon Washington Suggestions at WR: T.y. Hilton/Tommy Streeter/Danny Coale

I like Streeter and Hilton both. I think either could have an impact. There's a lot of depth at guard in the late rounds too.

It's unclear where Brockers will fall in the actual draft order. Some think he's a Top 15 pick. Others suggest he might be there after pick No. 20.

If Brockers falls past pick 20, the Colts would likely have to give up their second and third round picks this year plus some sort of draft compensation next year (fourth round or later, most likely) to move back into the first round. The most logical trading partners are Cincinnati and Detroit. Both are looking for more picks to fill holes in their roster, and both a set at the DT position. If Brockers falls to the Steelers at pick No. 24, they will draft him and laugh all the way back to another Super Bowl. Nose tackle is a position of needs in Pittsburgh, what with Casey Hampton getting old.

For those of you thinking that giving up picks in this years draft to move back into the first is too much, it is important to stress yet again that it is pointless to even field the defense without a legit nose tackle. Brandon McKinney is not a starter, and Antonio Johnson wasn't even all that effective playing NT in a Tampa-2 last year, let alone in a 3-4. The Colts have no one who is capable of holding down that position. Taking Brockers is absolutely worth it. He's talented, and he fits a need.

He only weighs 309 lbs??? A NT? If we give up a 2nd and 3rd round pick reaching for this guy, I think we be burned for it. Hope he is taken early and we don't go that route.

It's unclear where Brockers will fall in the actual draft order. Some think he's a Top 15 pick. Others suggest he might be there after pick No. 20.

If Brockers falls past pick 20, the Colts would likely have to give up their second and third round picks this year plus some sort of draft compensation next year (fourth round or later, most likely) to move back into the first round. The most logical trading partners are Cincinnati and Detroit. Both are looking for more picks to fill holes in their roster, and both a set at the DT position. If Brockers falls to the Steelers at pick No. 24, they will draft him and laugh all the way back to another Super Bowl. Nose tackle is a position of needs in Pittsburgh, what with Casey Hampton getting old.

For those of you thinking that giving up picks in this years draft to move back into the first is too much, it is important to stress yet again that it is pointless to even field the defense without a legit nose tackle. Brandon McKinney is not a starter, and Antonio Johnson wasn't even all that effective playing NT in a Tampa-2 last year, let alone in a 3-4. The Colts have no one who is capable of holding down that position. Taking Brockers is absolutely worth it. He's talented, and he fits a need.

He only weighs 309 lbs??? A NT? If we give up a 2nd and 3rd round pick reaching for this guy, I think we be burned for it. Hope he is taken early and we don't go that route.

I know that is a quote from some article.

We need some weapons for Luck! We only have Wayne, Collie, Avery (an behind him is a big questionmark) and nearly nothing on the TE position. I know that NT is a position of need, but moving back and giving up some quality picks would be a dumb move with so many holes to fill. I think we should draft Nicolas Jean-Baptiste from Baylor or Akiem Nicks in the middle to late rounds, together with veteran McKinney we have some NT to work with with and draft a long term solution for the NT position next year with our 1st or 2nd round pick. There should be some good NT available next year.

We need some weapons for Luck! We only have Wayne, Collie, Avery (an behind him is a big questionmark) and nearly nothing on the TE position. I know that NT is a position of need, but moving back and giving up some quality picks would be a dumb move with so many holes to fill. I think we should draft Nicolas Jean-Baptiste from Baylor or Akiem Nicks in the middle to late rounds, together with veteran McKinney we have some NT to work with with and draft a long term solution for the NT position next year with our 1st or 2nd round pick. There should be some good NT available next year.

Check out my draft above tell me what you think

Brockers main advantage is that he has already gained the strength that others will catch up to once they are on the team. The Colts would not have worked him out if they had not thought it possible to go up and get him. As bad of an idea as it seems, I am scarred we will sell the farm to get him due to such a defense minded/3-4 coaching staff. They may want to grab the best NT due to how long it will take him to become effective enough to make a difference on the offense. We have way too many real needs to be giving up so many picks that can produce starters. Maybe they are just covering the possibility that he drops near us in the draft?

Id like to go Akiem Hicks with one of our 5th round picks and Baptiste in the 6th

I dont think Baptiste will be there in the 6th. Top of the 5th is even questionable. But luckily its not hard to trade up a few spots when your in the 3rd-5th range.

I wouldn't take Brockers and I sure as heck would not take Janoris Jenkins. There is a chance that Brockers would fall to us, but most likely he will go to Denver. I can't imagine trading up that far into the first and giving up players that our depleted roster desperately needs. Brockers is a great run stuffing tackle but does not rush the passer well. He is young and will get better. but I do not see him getting near the Richard Seymour level.

As for Jenkins, he is Pac-Man Jones reincarnate. He will smoke his way out of the league. He is a headache that this young team does not need. He is a talented cover corner that we need but is unreliable off the field.