Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Texans New HC

King Colt

58 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Why do you say that?  Lovie is a very good coach

Because I don’t think he is a very good coach.  He hasn’t had a winning season in a decade.  Been a head coach for 16 seasons and had a winning record for 5 of those. Add the Texans are rebuilding and may or may not have a franchise QB, more losing is probably on their horizon. 

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Because I don’t think he is a very good coach.  He hasn’t had a winning season in a decade.  Been a head coach for 16 seasons and had a winning record for 5 of those. Add the Texans are rebuilding and may or may not have a franchise QB, more losing is probably on their horizon. 

Watson kept that team in most games last season. If he’s back, I’d expect the same or close to it. 

On 2/8/2022 at 5:05 PM, King Colt said:

Lovie Smith will also be defensive coordinator as well as HC. 

Something happened with the Texans on Monday Feb 7, and you didn’t post about it till like 24 hours later on the 8th?  What took you so long to come on here?

1 hour ago, MacDee1975 said:

Something happened with the Texans on Monday Feb 7, and you didn’t post about it till like 24 hours later on the 8th?  What took you so long to come on here?

How is this an issue?

On 2/8/2022 at 7:27 PM, AwesomeAustin said:

Stop playing with numbers. He hasn't been a head coach in the NFL for 16 seasons.

He was with the Bears for 8 years largely with no franchise QB to Cutler who was erratic. And he was with

the Bucaneers for 1 year which isn't even enough time to build a decent team.   Same offensive problems in Tampa. 

Anybody who leads a team to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman as the QB certainly 

can't be considered a bad coach.  Give Frank Reich any of those teams with no QB or a mediocre QB and I bet he wouldnt have done what Lovie did.  He was a very good DC with the Rams and his defenses

along with the staff he selected and put together in Chicago were very good.   

Lovies problem in my opinion was his teams always had bad output on the offensive side of the football.

Regretfully at least in year 1 I think that's going to continue with his selection of Pep Hamilton as the OC

and having to go with Davis Mills as the QB instead of Deshaun Watson.  His selection of Pep Hamilton pretty  much

tells me that Watson isnt going to be there.  The Hamilton hire tells me they want to do a similar thing as what Pagano

and Grigson did when they lined him up with Luck.   Run the ball a whole lot and play action.  That's not the spread style offense that you likely would put in place if Watson is going to stay. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Stop playing with numbers. He hasn't been a head coach in the NFL for 16 seasons.

He was with the Bears for 8 years largely with no franchise QB to Cutler who was erratic. And he was with

the Bucaneers for 1 year which isn't even enough time to build a decent team.   Same offensive problems in Tampa. 

Anybody who leads a team to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman as the QB certainly 

can't be considered a bad coach.  Give Frank Reich any of those teams with no QB or a mediocre QB and I bet he wouldnt have done what Lovie did.  He was a very good DC with the Rams and his defenses

along with the staff he selected and put together in Chicago were very good.   

Lovies problem in my opinion was his teams always had bad output on the offensive side of the football.

Regretfully at least in year 1 I think that's going to continue with his selection of Pep Hamilton as the OC

and having to go with Davis Mills as the QB instead of Deshaun Watson.  His selection of Pep Hamilton pretty  much

tells me that Watson isnt going to be there.  The Hamilton hire tells me they want to do a similar thing as what Pagano

and Grigson did when they lined him up with Luck.   Run the ball a whole lot and play action.  That's not the spread style offense that you likely would put in place if Watson is going to stay. 

I’m not playing with numbers.  He was head coach of the Bears 9yrs, Bucs 2yrs and Illinois for 5yrs. That is 16yrs as a head coach in which he had a winning season for 5 of them.  He hasn’t had any success in over a decade at jobs he chose to work at. 

It’s probably going work out bad for the Texans and it’s already starting to show with the hire of Pep Hamilton. Lovie probably won’t see a second contract. Never said he was a bad coach, I just don’t think he is a good one anymore. Especially if you consider the league is trending towards offense.  He had some success 12-15yrs ago but the league is different now. 

4 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I’m not playing with numbers.  He was head coach of the Bears 9yrs, Bucs 2yrs and Illinois for 5yrs. That is 16yrs as a head coach in which he had a winning season for 5 of them.  He hasn’t had any success in over a decade at jobs he chose to work at. 

It’s probably going work out bad for the Texans and it’s already starting to show with the hire of Pep Hamilton. Lovie probably won’t see a second contract. Never said he was a bad coach, I just don’t think he is a good one anymore. Especially if you consider the league is trending towards offense.  He had some success 12-15yrs ago but the league is different now. 

College and Pro is not the same level. Theres plenty of NFL coaches who have gone to college football and not done well. Your judgement should primarily be on the NFL game. Most of the NFL coaches who go back into the collegiate game its kind of a stop gap for them in most cases.

8 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I dont think hes much different from Dungy. They are almost the same guy. Give the guy an offense and a QB and something different may happen. Id say more likely than not.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

College and Pro is not the same level. Theres plenty of NFL coaches who have gone to college football and not done well. Your judgement should primarily be on the NFL game. Most of the NFL coaches who go back into the collegiate game its kind of a stop gap for them in most cases.

Exactly!   It’s not on the same level and he failed there as well. He chose to work there on his own and he didn’t do well.  

As far as giving him an offense and QB, He hired pep Hamilton.  It doesn’t matter who you give him. This to me just seems like a stop gap hire probably bc no one really wants to work there. They will run the ball and play cover two defense like he did 15yrs ago until he is fired in 2-3yrs. 

40 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

The Bucs were rebuilding. He was fired from there because the team wanted to maintain continuity with Lovie's OC Dirk Koetter and Jameis Winston. So the Bucs replaced Lovie with the Koetter.

Who cares about his record at Illinois? College is irrelevant as to whether a coach can succeed in the NFL. I believe John Mackovic was the last coach there who had a winning record at the school and that was in the 80s. College win/loss rate is not an indicator of NFL success. Besides Lovie has already proven to be an NFL HC prior to Illinois. He didn't just lose that ability. The fact that he last coached the Bears in 2012 doesn't make his success there less relevant. 

Houston has been a mess and I am not sure how committed they are to him. So I don't disagree that this probably isn't going to work out long term but that isn't because Lovie can't coach the game today.

Like all other coaches he needs the talent to succeed and offensive coaches are no exception to that. Look at how Taylor did when Burrow got hurt last year and how Shanahan how done when Jimmy G has been hurt.  

It's ridiculous to zero in only his time as a college coach and completely ignore his success with the Bears simply because that was 10 years ago. 

5 minutes ago, ar7 said:

The Bucs were rebuilding. He was fired from there because the team wanted to maintain continuity with Lovie's OC Dirk Koetter and Jameis Winston. So the Bucs replaced Lovie with the Koetter.

Who cares about his record at Illinois? College is irrelevant as to whether a coach can succeed in the NFL. I believe John Mackovic was the last coach there who had a winning record at the school and that was in the 80s. College win/loss rate is not an indicator of NFL success. Besides Lovie has already proven to be an NFL HC prior to Illinois. He didn't just lose that ability. The fact that he last coached the Bears in 2012 doesn't make his success there less relevant. 

Houston has been a mess and I am not sure how committed they are to him. So I don't disagree that this probably isn't going to work out long term but that isn't because Lovie can't coach the game today.

Like all other coaches he needs the talent to succeed and offensive coaches are no exception to that. Look at how Taylor did when Burrow got hurt last year and how Shanahan how done when has been hurt.  

It's ridiculous to zero in only his time as a college coach and completely ignore his success with the Bears simply because that was 10 years ago. 

At what time did I ever zero in on only his college coaching? At what time did I ever completely ignore his success bc it was 12-15yrs ago?  Im including it all while forming my opinion that he is an outdated head coach in this league. I recognize he did well at one time but hasn’t since and don’t think anything will change.  I’m glad some of you think otherwise bc it’s good to have a difference in opinion. 

4 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

At what time did I ever zero in on only his college coaching? At what time did I ever completely ignore his success bc it was 12-15yrs ago?  Im including it all while forming my opinion that he is an outdated head coach in this league. I recognize he did well at one time but hasn’t since and don’t think anything will change.  I’m glad some of you think otherwise bc it’s good to have a difference in opinion. 

When you say things like "outdated" and "He hasn’t had any success in over a decade at jobs he chose to work at" it came across to me as zeroing in on his time in college and 2 years with the Bucs in a rebuilding situation and being overly dismissive of his time with the Bears. 

If recent college success is so important as to whether or not someone succeeds as an NFL HC then why didn't Urban last a whole year in Jacksonville? Perhaps college record, even recent, isn't all that relevant? 

I tend to agree with you that it's unlikely to work out long term for Lovie in Houston but it's not due to his ability or a perceived lost ability to coach. It's because the organization is a complete cluster with a bad roster. Even the best coaches can't overcome bad ownership, management, and poor talent. 

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Exactly!   It’s not on the same level and he failed there as well. He chose to work there on his own and he didn’t do well.  

As far as giving him an offense and QB, He hired pep Hamilton.  It doesn’t matter who you give him. This to me just seems like a stop gap hire probably bc no one really wants to work there. They will run the ball and play cover two defense like he did 15yrs ago until he is fired in 2-3yrs. 

Offensively it matters who you give him. I can sort of see why they went with Pep outside of the obvious. Davis Mills is more like what Lovie had in Grossman. I dont think hes anything but average or worse. So with that kind of QB youre pretty much forced to install a run based scheme. The personnel is an issue. Plus their WR core is so so. I do not think hes a 1 year stop gap bc their personnel is weak and its going to take Caserio time to build. Their hope is with Lovies experience he can stem the tide and keep them competitive during the rebuild. Once the personnel is better then you look to change the coach. If i was them id be looking at trying to get Mariota or something similar so they pass the ball with some decency.

On 2/8/2022 at 8:27 PM, AwesomeAustin said:

texans have watson for trading capital or an elite qb if he is cleared

2 hours ago, ar7 said:

When you say things like "outdated" and "He hasn’t had any success in over a decade at jobs he chose to work at" it came across to me as zeroing in on his time in college and 2 years with the Bucs in a rebuilding situation and being overly dismissive of his time with the Bears. 

If recent college success is so important as to whether or not someone succeeds as an NFL HC then why didn't Urban last a whole year in Jacksonville? Perhaps college record, even recent, isn't all that relevant? 

I tend to agree with you that it's unlikely to work out long term for Lovie in Houston but it's not due to his ability or a perceived lost ability to coach. It's because the organization is a complete cluster with a bad roster. Even the best coaches can't overcome bad ownership, management, and poor talent. 

I don’t know what we are even talking about anymore so I’m going to circle back to my original comment of at least we don’t have to worry about the Texans for awhile.  You can take your pick form bad ownership, poor management and meh coaching hires....probably all of the above.  I’m glad it’s all over there in Houston.