Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WFT is now Washington Commanders

Mel Kiper's Hair

I live in DC area and this team is once again getting hammered here. Terrible name after 18 months to get it right. Botched the grand reveal by hanging banners in the pro-shop at FedEx field in plain view of aerial view. Giving pictures of execs to local news affiliates that clearly had the sensitive name info IN THE PICTURES....:lol: I'm sure most of you have seen this all over twitter

I mean this team is a flat-out joke in every facet. The poster child of what not to do.

The name clearly should have been Warhogs. Commanders is a terrible name and basically has no relevance rolling off the tongue when it is spoken. It's like way too long muckily muck... The uni's are god-awful too

And to cap it off, a few prominent local broadcasters were even suggesting that the skins pony up whatever and come get Wentz after news broke that the Colts might not be happy with him. The basis was that the broadcasters would take Carson's numbers and season over what they had. My answer to this is.....

We are just a phone call away :thmup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

The simple name of Football Team after the geographic area name was an eye opener for me.  It made me realize just how stupid these trailing nicknames are.

Get rid of them all, IMO.

How about the New York teams.    How about the LA teams?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

If it wasn't for the southern connotations, the Washington Confederates would have checked the indigenous box. They had the Iroquois and Powhatan Confederacies as past historical entities.  

With all respect here, this response is the issue. You are over thinking it and so has this team, meaning Washington. Just because the past name has what some would call racial overtones, i.e. deeper meaning, now we have the same team with another deeper meaning, i.e. commanders of military dc heritage, blah, blah, blah... Sports is about fun and fun only and this is why the NFL is in major trouble regarding the Flores lawsuit. Instead of being fun and uniting, the league has become hyper-focused on all the wrong stuff and basically has welcomed all this non-sense with open arms. This team name should have been fun like the Fire Hydrants, even though I guess that could have a deeper meaning as well because lately all this team seems to get is everybody peeing all over them...:lol:. But I'm sure you get my point. -Peace

20 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Please guys, let's keep it to football and the new Washington name or this thread will be shut down.

*Side note.. I'm running for moderator in this years "pick someone least likely to be given a Colts Forum moderator position" contest. Votes are FOR MEEEEE are much appreciated...:highfive2::funny:...See above

Sorry.  My bad.

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

With all respect here, this response is the issue. You are over thinking it and so has this team, meaning Washington. Just because the past name has what some would call racial overtones, i.e. deeper meaning, now we have the same team with another deeper meaning, i.e. commanders of military dc heritage, blah, blah, blah... Sports is about fun and fun only and this is why the NFL is in major trouble regarding the Flores lawsuit. Instead of being fun and uniting, the league has become hyper-focused on all the wrong stuff and basically has welcomed all this non-sense with open arms. This team name should have been fun like the Fire Hydrants, even though I guess that could have a deeper meaning as well because lately all this team seems to get is everybody peeing all over them...:lol:. But I'm sure you get my point. -Peace

I mean, that's why I said it the way I did. I think The Washington Confederates would be an interesting name personally, but I know there would be some who would vehemently shut that down. 

6 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

How about the New York teams.    How about the LA teams?

Good point.  Los Angeles Football Team A.  Los Angeles Football Team N.

LAC becomes LAA, LAR becomes LAN.  Same with NYJ to NYA and NYG to NYN

I guess that when they play each other, the fans cheering "Go LA" will sound kind of agnostic, but who cares about that.  Most fans just yell illiterate stuff when the opponent has the ball.