Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Official 2022 Reese’s Senior Bowl Thread

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

No idea? Is he at the Senior bowl? Doesn't seem like he is. Also not at the Shrine bowl... maybe he's not an NFL level prospect... no idea... 

I am thinking he is a Day 3 prospect because of the competition he has faced but I would be curious about his combine and Pro Day performances. 

Bailey Zappe did have a field day vs Appalachian State Mountaineers, so maybe that is why his stock is not as high?? I don't know.

Bailey Zappe on the other hand, you have to take a step back and look at that guy who throws with such good anticipation:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=401331166

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Practice for National team at the Senior Bowl is live on ESPN U. Will be sharing my impressions here and in following posts... 

I hate how those commentators are trying to sell a narrative about those QBs. They just tried to sell a Pickett throw that was 3 yards too high and 5 yards behind as a good throw. wth? 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

That's Malik WIllis :) 

Thats what I thought.   Saw a story late yesterday that said after the first Senior Bowl practice Willis was no longer an option for the Colts.   

That he was clearly the best QB on the field and moved comfortably into the first round.  Too far up for the Colts.    Don’t know if it’s true yet, but just wanted to share.  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thats what I thought.   Saw a story late yesterday that said after the first Senior Bowl practice Willis was no longer an option for the Colts.   

That he was clearly the best QB on the field and moved comfortably into the first round.  Too far up for the Colts.    Don’t know if it’s true yet, but just wanted to share.  

I thought he looked best of all QBs in yesterday's practice. Still not sure where he would go in the draft. IMO if Ballard falls in love with him(or any QB in this draft), he won't be out of reach.... as long as he wants him bad enough. It might be costly though, since we don't have a pick in the 1st. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Trevor Penning is nasty. I like him. 

The QBs were OK... all had some nice moments... but just... nothing to write home about. 

WR Khalil Shakir looked good... might be a good slot prospect. 

Yeah none of the QBs in the first team look like anything special. Willis or bust IMO. 

I feel like Penning is getting over hyped alot right now. I get why though, he's massive and is very similar to Nelson as he's nasty and loves to crush guys. But man, his pass sets scare me alot, his feet are slow, on tape struggles with speed. Which he has at the senior bowl too. He'll go before our pick anyway,

Really liked Shakir before the senior bowl, now he's just confirming it. Strikes me as that guy whos test numbers won't wow anyone, but the guy can just flat out play.

1 hour ago, NorthernColt said:

Yeah none of the QBs in the first team look like anything special. Willis or bust IMO. 

I feel like Penning is getting over hyped alot right now. I get why though, he's massive and is very similar to Nelson as he's nasty and loves to crush guys. But man, his pass sets scare me alot, his feet are slow, on tape struggles with speed. Which he has at the senior bowl too. He'll go before our pick anyway,

Really liked Shakir before the senior bowl, now he's just confirming it. Strikes me as that guy whos test numbers won't wow anyone, but the guy can just flat out play.

Shakir is very much on my radar.   I like everything I’ve read about him.  To the best of my knowledge, he was not a team captain, but I don’t know why?   He’s got a great Chris Ballard story that I love.   

Late in the season, Boise was winning their game easily.   Shaker was closing in on a team record, I think.   The HC caught wind of that and started calling plays to get Shakir the ball and the record.   Shakir figured it out and went to his coaches and told them that the team was doing great when it was running the ball.  He said to forget the record and go back to running to finish the game with a win.  

THAT’S a Chris Ballard guy.   His on the field game is good too.   He’s on my wish list.   

It's weird how accurately that post-practice competition panned out - Willis' accuracy was erratic on the short/intermediate down the middle throws, but he was the best on the long outside the number throws - exactly what his tape and heat chart are showing. 

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Matt Waletzko, OT from North Dakota. He’s had a nice week so far. Knock on him is power because his lower half is kind of underwhelming. But his length is absurd and he’s super athletic 

Really like him and Abe Lucas for us. More under the radar, fit the mold and might actually be there when we pick lol.

4 hours ago, stitches said:

Zappe just had a few real nice throws... 

Zappe is a great fit for Reich's system, he attacks the short and intermediate range so well and throws WRs open. His anticipation makes up for less than elite arm strength. He crosses off the hand size checklist too. :) 

7 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

Really like him and Abe Lucas for us. More under the radar, fit the mold and might actually be there when we pick lol.

Matt Waletzko reminds me of Brady Christensen from last year, will take a few years to develop. Abe Lucas on the other hand should be able to start within the first year, IMO. I like Abe Lucas more for the Colts at No.47. I do believe you can get a good left tackle in Round 2 that can be a starter by the end of Year 1 in this draft.

9 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

If I’m not mistaken, Abe Lucas went to Washington State and they run that weird air raid offense, where the OTs aren’t really taught basic pass protection sets, and thus they’re always severely lacking in technique. He will need some time.

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

If I’m not mistaken, Abe Lucas went to Washington State and they run that weird air raid offense, where the OTs aren’t really taught basic pass protection sets, and thus they’re always severely lacking in technique. He will need some time.

From what I've seen on tape and through practice his pass sets look like they need less work than Penning at the moment. Plus he'll go much later.

On 2/2/2022 at 6:31 PM, stitches said:

On 2/2/2022 at 6:31 PM, stitches said:

CB Tariq Woolen, UTSA

Height: 6’3″
Weight: 205
Arm Length: 33 1/2″
Wingspan: 79″
Hand: 8 5/8″

According to PFF Chris Ballard was watching intently Tariq Woolen at Senior Bowl practices. Look at that arm length...

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Looks like Ridder had a nice game today.

Most of the time the game is pointless but it’s always a good opportunity for the QBs to show what they can do in a live game situation. Glad to see he finished out strong after a rough week overall.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Most of the time the game is pointless but it’s always a good opportunity for the QBs to show what they can do in a live game situation. Glad to see he finished out strong after a rough week overall.

For what it’s worth….   Albert Breer was on the Rich Eisen show yesterday (on YouTube) and said the word from NFL scouts was this QB class (minus Corral, who wasn’t there, not a senior) is basically a bunch of career backups.   Worst class since 2013 when EJ Manuel was the only first round QB, and Geno Smith went in the second.   I think Smith backed up Wilson in Seattle this year.  

So maybe one of these guys turns into something?   Maybe?   Right now, it looks like Willis.   But tomorrow, who knows?  

This was the East vs West Shrine Bowl but I'm already liking Samori Toure as a mid to late round WR pick. Did great at FCS with Montana than did one year at Nebraska (who didn't have a good QB situation) and was there leading WR. He's a smooth route runner who I think could be a great fit in the Slot.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth….   Albert Breer was on the Rich Eisen show yesterday (on YouTube) and said the word from NFL scouts was this QB class (minus Corral, who wasn’t there, not a senior) is basically a bunch of career backups.   Worst class since 2013 when EJ Manuel was the only first round QB, and Geno Smith went in the second.   I think Smith backed up Wilson in Seattle this year.  

So maybe one of these guys turns into something?   Maybe?   Right now, it looks like Willis.   But tomorrow, who knows?  

That’s pretty much how I see it. In A normal draft these are all guys you take in the 3rd or 4th round to develop. None of the guys have high ceilings besides Willis.

Based on what the Colts need in the off-season, here are my standout players.

Offense:

Khalil Shakir, WR Boise State

Isaiah Likely, TE Coastal Carolina

Jeremy Ruckert, TE Ohio State

Matt Welentzko, OT North Dakota

Abe Lucas, OT Washington State

Defense

Akayleb Evans, CB Missouri 

Tariq Woolen, CB UTSA

Travis Jones, DT UConn

Jalen Pitre, SAF Baylor

Darrian Beavers, LB Cincinnati

Takeaways:

-I still stand by this being the best TE class I’ve ever seen. It’s really a toss up as to who is TE1. There weren’t any that really disappointed. Every analyst basically had a different favorite.

-With the Gus Bradley hiring, there are some players who can fit the mold that a Cover-3 calls for. Woolen and Evans are both tall and long corners who will flourish in Zone. Evans has more man and zone versatility though. Beavers might be the best coverage LB in the draft. His tape showed his strengths in Zone, but at the Senior Bowl he showed he can play in man vs TEs.

-There isn’t a QB who can replace Wentz week 1. Willis has the best ceiling but he needs work too.

-I still don’t love the WR group. At least not for the type (speedy Z receiver) the Colts need. I like Shakir because he’s just flat out good, but he’s a slot.

22 minutes ago, stitches said:

He had a play here or there... but he's more physically impressive than he is impressive playing IMO> 

I attribute a lot of that to Ohio States scheme that severely underutilized their TEs. I thought he was the most complete TE at the Senior Bowl. His hands were just as good as McBrides and he’s probably a better blocker. He had contested catches in his one-on-ones as well. 

22 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I attribute a lot of that to Ohio States scheme that severely underutilized their TEs. I thought he was the most complete TE at the Senior Bowl. His hands were just as good as McBrides and he’s probably a better blocker. He had contested catches in his one-on-ones as well. 

Yeah, I don't know how to feel about his underutilization in Ohio State. I usually feel like there is a reason for that(example - MAC), but for TEs in a lot of cases the reason might be QB/offense related(look at Kittle for example). In those cases if I feel like the tape is not the best representation of their skills, I like to look at two stats - yards per reception and YAC(if I have it), meaning - even if they don't get a ton of opportunities, I want to see high production on per opportunity basis - meaning even if they are not used a ton, they actually do a lot when given the ball. Kittle was such an example. He had a couple of years of over 20 yards per reception, which is insane, and then 2 years of around 14.5. 

Ruckert has been at about 11-12 every year. Which is OK, but nothing of note. From this draft class, TEs with pretty high yards per reception are Isaiah Likely - 13.5, 20, 14.9 last 3 years.  Greg Dulcich - 13.1, 19.9, 17.3 last 3 years. Cameron Latu(Alabama) - 15.7 and 8 TDs this season on small sample... This is of course when talking about their abilities as pass-catchers and weapons. You have to separately judge their blocking ability ... and how much to weigh it. 

3 hours ago, stitches said:

I personally was disappointed with the TEs at the Senior Bowl. McBride was the only standout for me. All the others looked like day 3 type of prospects to me and I expected a lot more from them. 

I think that its deep in Doyle/MAC replacements, and probably higher ceilings given time.  Not necessarily deep in Tier 1 guys.  I think we could get Ertz for a couple of years until either Granson or a drafted rookie emerges.

20 hours ago, DougDew said:

I think that its deep in Doyle/MAC replacements, and probably higher ceilings given time.  Not necessarily deep in Tier 1 guys.  I think we could get Ertz for a couple of years until either Granson or a drafted rookie emerges.

I’ve always thought that Doyle and MAC production was replaceable. I know the fans love MAC but a guy like Likely could easily replicate and probably surpass that production. Ferguson actually reminds me of Doyle in his tape. Jack of all trades, master of none. Ertz isn’t worth the money just for a Wentz reclamation project. Get a young guy in the draft with size because Granson is undersized (6’1”) to be anything more than a move TE. 

21 hours ago, stitches said:

Ruckert has been at about 11-12 every year. Which is OK, but nothing of note. From this draft class, TEs with pretty high yards per reception are Isaiah Likely - 13.5, 20, 14.9 last 3 years.  Greg Dulcich - 13.1, 19.9, 17.3 last 3 years. 

All the more reason to be on the Likely train. He’s got some similarities to Darren Waller. Just in terms of receiving ability, he’s probably the best. If you want the guy who is the most well rounded and looks the part, it’s Ruckert. If you want the guy with the Kittle/Kelce type ceiling with the best floor, it’s McBride since he’s got great production. 

Again though if you want the numbers, Likely is the guy because if I’m not mistaken he had more receiving yards this past season than any other TE in FBS. His QB might be a 1st round pick next year, but he still did that playing at a small school.

And here are observations about the Senior Bowl.

The first from the NFL Networks, Chase Goodbread.   Yes,  his real name.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-draft-six-takeaways-on-senior-bowl-standouts

And the second is from the Networks Senior Draft Analyst,  Daniel Jeremiah.  He's got the

10 big winners from the week of practice which the scouts value more than the actual game itself.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-senior-bowl-daniel-jeremiah-s-top-10-nfl-draft-winners-from-week-of-practic

35 minutes ago, stitches said:

A ton of new mock drafts after the Senior Bowl are having Malik Willis jumping in the top 10, and most of them to the Panthers at 6. He's probably going to be out of our range :( 

I hope he is. None of these QB’s are worth a draft pick before the 3rd round and even then I’m fine with what we have over yet another project. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And here are observations about the Senior Bowl.

The first from the NFL Networks, Chase Goodbread.   Yes,  his real name.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-draft-six-takeaways-on-senior-bowl-standouts

And the second is from the Networks Senior Draft Analyst,  Daniel Jeremiah.  He's got the

10 big winners from the week of practice which the scouts value more than the actual game itself.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-senior-bowl-daniel-jeremiah-s-top-10-nfl-draft-winners-from-week-of-practic

Thank you for the post. Based on Jeremiah’s list I can see a name or two that I would not only love but are Ballard fits for sure. With Bradley as the DC a guy like Wyatt or Travis Jones would be perfect. IMO if we could get Wyatt in the 3rd or 4th he would be a far better impact than Grover. Plus they add some solid beef to the DT spot to fill gaps. Shakir seems like a good pick as a WR as we need depth and speed. Not sure we spend a high pick here though as FA might be a little better. Penning might be a guy to for sure keep an eye on. All-in-all this draft will be a fun one. 

Archived