Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Draft

I’ve said this before but Ballard simply cannot swing and miss on this draft. He truly had to hit on at least at least 2 home runs. This is where the scouting  department really makes it money. I personally get a feeling that left tackle will not be dealt with in the draft. I think with that second nondraft pick we have to go with the best dynamic receiver or cornerback. We need both of those desperately in Ballard work some magic and getting those players in here. I think we’re stuck with Wentz for one more year so the QB search will be next year. I thinkBallard is completely out of excuses and I think he knows that his job could be on the line if he doesn’t straighten his team out very soon. We are wasting the valuable years of so many great players that we have. What are your thoughts on who they should go after to get this team back on track not considering free agency

2 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I’ve said this before but Ballard simply cannot swing and miss on this draft. He truly had to hit on at least at least 2 home runs. This is where the scouting  department really makes it money. I personally get a feeling that left tackle will not be dealt with in the draft. I think with that second nondraft pick we have to go with the best dynamic receiver or cornerback. We need both of those desperately in Ballard work some magic and getting those players in here. I think we’re stuck with Wentz for one more year so the QB search will be next year. I thinkBallard is completely out of excuses and I think he knows that his job could be on the line if he doesn’t straighten his team out very soon. We are wasting the valuable years of so many great players that we have. What are your thoughts on who they should go after to get this team back on track not considering free agency

I would say that Ballard has never swung and missed in any draft year. Sure, not everyone has turned into starters, or pro bowlers but if I am not mistaken 44 of his 45 picks are on an NFL roster, the only one who is not is Javon Patterson.....that is not swinging and missing! 

Finding a franchise quarterback is like finding a needle in a haystack. We were lucky to transition from Manning to Luck and Lucks sudden retirement in the 4th quarter of the last preseason game set this franchise back 10 steps.

Ballard is not screwing up or wasting anything - Luck did this to this franchise with his sudden retirement. Like it or not that is just how it went down. How long in between Jim Kelly/Drew Bledsoe did it take for the Bills to get Allen? How long since Boomer have the Bengals waited to score Burrow? The Broncos have struggled for years in between Elway and Manning and since Manning retired. The Chargers got lucky with Herbert by sucking at the right time after Rivers was cut.....this ain't madden where you can just magically make trades or change the QB ratings.....in real life it is difficult to find that unicorn of a franchise QB. 

17 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I would say that Ballard has never swung and missed in any draft year. Sure, not everyone has turned into starters, or pro bowlers but if I am not mistaken 44 of his 45 picks are on an NFL roster, the only one who is not is Javon Patterson.....that is not swinging and missing! 

Finding a franchise quarterback is like finding a needle in a haystack. We were lucky to transition from Manning to Luck and Lucks sudden retirement in the 4th quarter of the last preseason game set this franchise back 10 steps.

Ballard is not screwing up or wasting anything - Luck did this to this franchise with his sudden retirement. Like it or not that is just how it went down. How long in between Jim Kelly/Drew Bledsoe did it take for the Bills to get Allen? How long since Boomer have the Bengals waited to score Burrow? The Broncos have struggled for years in between Elway and Manning and since Manning retired. The Chargers got lucky with Herbert by sucking at the right time after Rivers was cut.....this ain't madden where you can just magically make trades or change the QB ratings.....in real life it is difficult to find that unicorn of a franchise QB. 

So true.  Finding a franchise QB is the hardest thing to find in all of sports.  It doesn’t help that the draft is such a crapshoot.  Remember the year Allen came out?  That was supposed to be the richest QB draft class in years.  Fast forward to 2021 here is how that has shaken out

Mayfield:  real questions if he’s the guy in Cleveland

Darnald:  already been replaced with another QB and about to be replaced on his second team

Allen:  has been really good

Rosen:  replaced the next year and bouncing around the league as a third string QB

Jackson:  the one who slipped and was almost a second round pick and might be the best of the class.  

More proof the Bears traded a fortune to move up one spot and get Mitch Trubisky because that was supposed to be a very weak QB class and yet produced MaHomes and Watson.  

So even if you get a pick it’s far from a sure thing.  Sure they could be the next Manning or Luck but odds say they are more likely to be the next Leaf or RG3.  

44 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Best way to not swing and miss?  Not drafting totally for need and taking BPA within reason

We need a Free Safety before a Corner IMO as Blackmon and Willis are both Strong Safetys, Sendejo did an admirable job but is not the answer. At Corner if we play more 4-3 with new DC we have Moore and Rock as starters and Rodgers and Tell as depth.  I want both both FS is priority.

We need a WR either via free agency or rd 2 or 3.

5 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Best way to not swing and miss?  Not drafting totally for need and taking BPA within reason

That’s how Ballard drafts and that’s how the Colts got Paye and Dayo last year that has so many people upset. Not saying I agree with them, frankly I agree with Ballard and you.

I've heard it said that the quickest way to judge a GM's drafting ability is to judge their picks in the top 50.  Beyond 50, they can sometimes hit gold, but if they don't, it's not the end of the world.  Top 50 -- that's the name of the game.

Here are Chris Ballard's picks from the top 50

2017 pick 15 - Malik Hooker - Started great, then got injured.  Was never the same after that.  We eventually released him after his rookie contract, and he's currently a non-starting rotational player with the Cowboys.  I don't rate him a true "bust", but just a notch above that.

2017 pick 46 - Quincy Wilson - Did not start, and couldn't ever seem to start.  He had the length and size measurables that CB likes, but he never jived with the system.  In fact, he hated the system.  He hated playing zone.  And said so.  Thing is, he didn't play well for the Jets either.  Bust.

2018 pick 6 - Quenton Nelson - What can we say?  Multi pro bowls.  Multi all pros.  Transformational player.  Destined for the HoF.

2018 pick 36 - Darius Leonard - Multiple pro bowls.  Record-setting LB in many ways.  The emotional leader of the team.

2018 pick 37 - Braden Smith - Has not been to a pro bowl, but from the moment they started him at RT, he's been a fixture.  And sometimes performed better than other teammates on the OL more lauded.

2019 pick 34 - Rock Ya-Sin - Struggled when he started.  Ended 2020 as The Guy Most Picked On.  But greatly improved his play in 2021.  He's not a pro bowler.  And may never be.  But he's not terrible either.

2019 pick 49 - Ben Banogu - Has never been able to crack the starting lineup, even when the entire starting lineup was injured.  Has spent the bulk of the last two years as a healthy scratch.  Bust.

2020 pick 34 - Michael Pittman - Gained starting role quickly, and improved steadily this year.  Got his first 1,000 yard season.  No pro bowl -- yet.  But it's still a possibility in his future.

2020 pick 41 - Jonathan Taylor - Wow.  Pro bowl, all pro, record setter.  It's only been 2 years, but his trajectory says HoF.

2021 pick 21 - Kwity Paye - Instant starter.  More effective than amazing.  Still learning the finer points of pass rush.  Made all rookie team.  But has a lot of football ahead of him.

Overall, six of Ballard's ten picks were either pro bowlers or top rate starters.  That's 60%.  Which is not the vaunted 70% that Bill Polian preached.  Although if Ya-Sin continues to improve, he could reach that.

In the 2022 draft, we have only one Top 50 pick.  Let's make it a good one.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

So true.  Finding a franchise QB is the hardest thing to find in all of sports.  It doesn’t help that the draft is such a crapshoot.  Remember the year Allen came out?  That was supposed to be the richest QB draft class in years.  Fast forward to 2021 here is how that has shaken out

Mayfield:  real questions if he’s the guy in Cleveland

Darnald:  already been replaced with another QB and about to be replaced on his second team

Allen:  has been really good

Rosen:  replaced the next year and bouncing around the league as a third string QB

Jackson:  the one who slipped and was almost a second round pick and might be the best of the class.  

More proof the Bears traded a fortune to move up one spot and get Mitch Trubisky because that was supposed to be a very weak QB class and yet produced MaHomes and Watson.  

So even if you get a pick it’s far from a sure thing.  Sure they could be the next Manning or Luck but odds say they are more likely to be the next Leaf or RG3.  

Thank you.   Appreciate these facts and common sense.    I hope other posters take thus to heart.   I hope they read your post again.   And then read it again.   

It’s been a long off-season already, and February starts….   Tomorrow.   Goodness. 

10 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

We need a Free Safety before a Corner IMO as Blackmon and Willis are both Strong Safetys, Sendejo did an admirable job but is not the answer. At Corner if we play more 4-3 with new DC we have Moore and Rock as starters and Rodgers and Tell as depth.  I want both both FS is priority.

For FS I would sign Jessie abates in FA should the Bengals not bring him back. There aren’t great safeties in this draft outside of Kyle Hamilton.

14 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I've heard it said that the quickest way to judge a GM's drafting ability is to judge their picks in the top 50.  Beyond 50, they can sometimes hit gold, but if they don't, it's not the end of the world.  Top 50 -- that's the name of the game.

Here are Chris Ballard's picks from the top 50

2017 pick 15 - Malik Hooker - Started great, then got injured.  Was never the same after that.  We eventually released him after his rookie contract, and he's currently a non-starting rotational player with the Cowboys.  I don't rate him a true "bust", but just a notch above that.

2017 pick 46 - Quincy Wilson - Did not start, and couldn't ever seem to start.  He had the length and size measurables that CB likes, but he never jived with the system.  In fact, he hated the system.  He hated playing zone.  And said so.  Thing is, he didn't play well for the Jets either.  Bust.

2018 pick 6 - Quenton Nelson - What can we say?  Multi pro bowls.  Multi all pros.  Transformational player.  Destined for the HoF.

2018 pick 36 - Darius Leonard - Multiple pro bowls.  Record-setting LB in many ways.  The emotional leader of the team.

2018 pick 37 - Braden Smith - Has not been to a pro bowl, but from the moment they started him at RT, he's been a fixture.  And sometimes performed better than other teammates on the OL more lauded.

2019 pick 34 - Rock Ya-Sin - Struggled when he started.  Ended 2020 as The Guy Most Picked On.  But greatly improved his play in 2021.  He's not a pro bowler.  And may never be.  But he's not terrible either.

2019 pick 49 - Ben Banogu - Has never been able to crack the starting lineup, even when the entire starting lineup was injured.  Has spent the bulk of the last two years as a healthy scratch.  Bust.

2020 pick 34 - Michael Pittman - Gained starting role quickly, and improved steadily this year.  Got his first 1,000 yard season.  No pro bowl -- yet.  But it's still a possibility in his future.

2020 pick 41 - Jonathan Taylor - Wow.  Pro bowl, all pro, record setter.  It's only been 2 years, but his trajectory says HoF.

2021 pick 21 - Kwity Paye - Instant starter.  More effective than amazing.  Still learning the finer points of pass rush.  Made all rookie team.  But has a lot of football ahead of him.

Overall, six of Ballard's ten picks were either pro bowlers or top rate starters.  That's 60%.  Which is not the vaunted 70% that Bill Polian preached.  Although if Ya-Sin continues to improve, he could reach that.

In the 2022 draft, we have only one Top 50 pick.  Let's make it a good one.

Why Top 50?  Why not Top 60, or the entire second round?

8 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

It's something that I had read somewhere, and have continued to measure by it.

Who ever thought of it, seems arbitrary.  It shuts out the GMs of winning records that draft later in round 2.  If its about how many players are in the NFL and not  just the team, I'd think that every GM should be evaluated by the same number of opportunities.

I think the media simply likes a round number, like 50.

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

For FS I would sign Jessie abates in FA should the Bengals not bring him back. There aren’t great safeties in this draft outside of Kyle Hamilton.

Daxton Hill,Jaquan Brisker,Lewis Cine...its a pretty solid class for both Free and Strong Safeties but I wouldnt be against signing a vet like Jesse Bates for the right price.

17 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Sure. But most people couldn't even name a single BUF GM between Polian and Beane. And many Bengals fans have been critical of Mike Brown for decades.

So is that the standard now? CIN and the 2000s BUF?

Ballard is held in very high regard (especially within this fanbase), which means he should be held to a higher standard than that.

Finding a QB is part of that. Building a multi-year SB contender is part of that. So while he might be wasting anything, he's not maximizing it either.

The Colts need to stay the course and continue to build the team at need positions and let the QB dilemma lie.

Add WR, TE, CB, LT, ER

Unless something major happens roll with Wentz one more year and add everything else needed. If Wentz does not work out in 2022, focus on QB in 2023. At that point most all other position needs should be filled.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Who ever thought of it, seems arbitrary.  It shuts out the GMs of winning records that draft later in round 2.  If its about how many players are in the NFL and not  just the team, I'd think that every GM should be evaluated by the same number of opportunities.

I think the media simply likes a round number, like 50.

It also "conveniently" leaves out Parris Campbell, Kemoko Turay and Tyquan Lewis...all 2nd round picks. As well as Dayo (which remains to be seen). So basically it just amounts to unintentional cherry-picking.

My take on Ballard is that he hit on the first 3 picks in the 2018 draft and has been very much dining off of that since then. Q and Leonard will accumulate enough AV and accolades that Ballard's draft record will always have shine to it.

But since the Q, Leonard and Smith picks, the drafting has not been very good and is a big reason why this team hasn't really improved or taken the next step since the 2018 season. You could even argue that the 2018 team would beat the 2021 team (even if you put Luck on both sides).

But what's especially frustrating is that, even once Luck retired, they have poured their draft resources into non-QB positions to build up the rest of the team...and ended up in the same spot anyways (albeit with a more expensive version).

And to compound it, when they finally did use draft resources on QB, they used them on Carson Wentz.

I think Ballard is a good GM. But if you look at the big picture, the shine should be coming off for some people. 

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

It also "conveniently" leaves out Parris Campbell, Kemoko Turay and Tyquan Lewis...all 2nd round picks. As well as Dayo (which remains to be seen). So basically it just amounts to unintentional cherry-picking.

My take on Ballard is that he hit on the first 3 picks in the 2018 draft and has been very much dining off of that since then. Q and Leonard will accumulate enough AV and accolades that Ballard's draft record will always have shine to it.

But since the Q, Leonard and Smith picks, the drafting has not been very good and is a big reason why this team hasn't really improved or taken the next step since the 2018 season. You could even argue that the 2018 team would beat the 2021 team (even if you put Luck on both sides).

But what's especially frustrating is that, even once Luck retired, they have poured their draft resources into non-QB positions to build up the rest of the team...and ended up in the same spot anyways (albeit with a more expensive version).

And to compound it, when they finally did use draft resources on QB, they used them on Carson Wentz.

I think Ballard is a good GM. But if you look at the big picture, the shine should be coming off for some people. 

I didn't mean to call out John Hammond for stopping short.  I've seen the Top 50 elsewhere. 

Its a nice box that the media likes to present.  

Kind of like Kiper's Top 100...which stops in the middle of a round.

28 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I didn't mean to call out John Hammond for stopping short.  I've seen the Top 50 elsewhere. 

I wasn't calling him out either...just pointing out Colts-specific holes in using that arbitrary sample size.

I understand it for pre-draft rankings. But the difference between a guy like Jessie Bates, AJ Brown or Trevon Diggs being a top 50 pick and not being a top 50 pick is a few spots. 

44 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I always look at the Top 100 as their expectation of who'll likely go in the first 2 - 3 rounds.

Top 50 = 1st round.

Since we don't have a 1st, and our first pick is at the cusp of Top 50, we're logically hoping to see more than the Top 50.

3 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Sure. But most people couldn't even name a single BUF GM between Polian and Beane. And many Bengals fans have been critical of Mike Brown for decades.

So is that the standard now? CIN and the 2000s BUF?

Ballard is held in very high regard (especially within this fanbase), which means he should be held to a higher standard than that.

Finding a QB is part of that. Building a multi-year SB contender is part of that. So while he might be wasting anything, he's not maximizing it either.

Are you serious? I could cite many examples of GM's and their band aid QB's after/since/in-between "Franchise" QB's......don't cherry pick info to validate your argument.

The fact still remains true......Andrew Lucks retirement placed this team, its owner and staff in that no mans land of not bad enough to draft a top of the first round QB and no Franchise QB's have been available in free agency so that only leaves the trade market.

Many wanted Stafford but the Lions wanted picks AND a starting caliber QB so they took Goff + picks and that essentially left Wentz as the only truly available and viable option.

Name one free agent qb since luck retired or one late first round (or later) qb drafted that fits your criteria for maximizing the rest of the roster. I'll even help you with a couple names........Tom Brady as a FA in 2020 - don't kid yourself in thinking he would ever sign here. Jalen Hurts in the 2nd Round of the 2020 draft......remains to be seen at this point.

So your argument is essentially unwarranted based on the circumstances.

We all know it takes a while to judge an NFL draft, but the Colts aren’t rebuilding—the team could have used immediate help and the most-recent draft produced very little. The first five players selected by Chris (Smartest Guy In The Room) Ballard produced a total of 4.5 sacks, 37 tackles, 13 receptions for 32 yards, and nine rushing yards. That’s not much production, especially when the GM refuses to supplement with free-agent talent. 

10 hours ago, DougDew said:

Point of clarification….  Kiper doesn’t do a Top-100….   He does a top-25.   Which obviously is short of a 32 pick first round.   For the life of me, I’ll never understand why Kiper does this?  I see no upside and complete downside to doing it.  

On 1/31/2022 at 7:05 PM, John Hammonds said:

Looked him up because I wondered if he was out of the league.  He’s only 25 which seems crazy.  He’s with Miami.  Still a chance to turn it around being so young but I wouldn’t bet on it. 

On 1/31/2022 at 6:09 PM, holeymoley99 said:

I don't think this is as much an issue as people think. Its why our staff didn't play Hooker like one, even though he was one. They've said multiple times that they want their safeties to be interchangeable. We rarely ever play cover 1 anyways so the point is moot. They value strong tackling safeties more than anything with the system we want to play.

On 2/1/2022 at 10:51 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Point of clarification….  Kiper doesn’t do a Top-100….   He does a top-25.   Which obviously is short of a 32 pick first round.   For the life of me, I’ll never understand why Kiper does this?  I see no upside and complete downside to doing it.  

If one were to believe that old theorem that there are typically 15-20 Clear 1st rd talents in the average draft, then Mel is perhaps shooting for the most likely of those players. 
 The one that says players 21-40 are relatively equal puts our pick 47 in a decent place. 

I feel we could double dip at WR this year possibly 2nd and a 4th/5th rounder. I'm thinking we draft a Z in the second round depending on who is available as it is to early to see where people may go and then later drafting Samori Toure in the mid-rounds if he is available, I could see him being great as a big slot WR.

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

5’7” is really small for a receiver. I can’t really think of anyone who’s been that short and successful at that position. Even guys like Hilton and Steve Smith were at least around 5’10”.

And only 165 pounds. Doesn’t sound like a durable option to me 

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

5’7” is really small for a receiver. I can’t really think of anyone who’s been that short and successful at that position. Even guys like Hilton and Steve Smith were at least around 5’10”.

Clyde Edwards-Helaire     5'7"       205#      Successful? Hmm.

On 1/31/2022 at 4:39 PM, Scott Pennock said:

Luck retiring happened awhile ago and it is getting very old. He has had 3+ years to find a long term starter and he relies on other teams cast offs

One could say the Rams are loaded with other teams "castoffs" including the qb position. A twelve year veteran who had never won a playoff game. I guess sometimes rolling the dice works and sometimes it doesn't! We were never going to get Stafford, he was going to be a Ram. And the Lions were very overly compensated, but so what, the lions are still the Lions and will be in last place again next year as with so many years in the past. Just my opinion.

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I agree. I would skip him. We have Hines and it seems like they could be same type of player.

Archived