Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Raiders hiring McDaniels as HC and NE Exec as GM

NewColtsFan

On 1/30/2022 at 9:07 PM, RollerColt said:

Hope he loses every game, honestly. At the time our situation was better. Luck > Carr. Surprised he committed to Las Vegas of all places. 

Care’s not injured and loves to play football

Hope he loses every game, honestly. At the time our situation was better. Luck > Carr. Surprised he committed to Las Vegas of all places. 

It could be about brady leaving, they were a yearly super bowl team a few years ago

its easier for him to walk away from NE now

43 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

It could be about brady leaving, they were a yearly super bowl team a few years ago

its easier for him to walk away from NE now

He claims he's changed his ways and is more willing to listen to players. We'll see. 

You know I always kind of wondered... I know the two events were separated by 18 months (February 2018 to August 2019), but is there any chance McDaniels had some sort of inkling that Luck was not in it for the long haul at that point? He'd had several injuries already, and ultimately would have only played one season under McDaniels if he the later hadn't backed out of the job. Might be a stretch, and I'm not implying Luck told him outright what he wanted to do, but maybe he got a sense from the guy that he was starting to get a little tired of football. 

We'll see what he's learned in the 11 years since his last HC gig. 

45 minutes ago, GoPats said:

You know I always kind of wondered... I know the two events were separated by 18 months (February 2018 to August 2019), but is there any chance McDaniels had some sort of inkling that Luck was not in it for the long haul at that point? He'd had several injuries already, and ultimately would have only played one season under McDaniels if he the later hadn't backed out of the job. Might be a stretch, and I'm not implying Luck told him outright what he wanted to do, but maybe he got a sense from the guy that he was starting to get a little tired of football. 

Am I being ridiculous in not liking him? Yes, yes I am. 

Maybe he had a feeling about Luck. I'm guessing he also just didn't like the fit and potentially the type of team that Ballard wanted to build. In the end it worked out great for him and not so much for us. 

On 2/7/2022 at 7:57 AM, GoPats said:

At the time he accepted the job, there were actual questions about Luck. He hadn't played in a year, his rehab from the shoulder was very dramatic, he didn't look or sound good, he disappeared for a couple months, etc. People openly wondered if the uncertainty surrounding his recovery might make it difficult to attract good HC candidates.

I don't think anyone needed to have an inkling that maybe Luck would leave the next year. If the main attraction was Luck, that stretch was an all time low for him anyway. I also think that uncertainty would have been a factor during the first interview, second interview, and weeks of discussions with McDaniels and the team. Probably didn't pop up at the 11th hour.

On 2/7/2022 at 11:44 AM, RollerColt said:

Am I being ridiculous in not liking him? Yes, yes I am. 

Maybe he had a feeling about Luck. I'm guessing he also just didn't like the fit and potentially the type of team that Ballard wanted to build. In the end it worked out great for him and not so much for us. 

Oh I don't think it's ridiculous for Indy fans to dislike the guy. If I were in your (horse)shoes I'd probably feel the same way. 

I revisited the story yesterday when this came up. Sounds like McDaniels wanted more control over personnel than he was going to get with Ballard. But that doesn't seem like a "last minute" thing, so if he had doubts, he shouldn't have verbally accepted the job in the first place. 

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

At the time he accepted the job, there were actual questions about Luck. He hadn't played in a year, his rehab from the shoulder was very dramatic, he didn't look or sound good, he disappeared for a couple months, etc. People openly wondered if the uncertainty surrounding his recovery might make it difficult to attract good HC candidates.

I don't think anyone needed to have an inkling that maybe Luck would leave the next year. If the main attraction was Luck, that stretch was an all time low for him anyway. I also think that uncertainty would have been a factor during the first interview, second interview, and weeks of discussions with McDaniels and the team. Probably didn't pop up at the 11th hour.

Good point. Same as above. At the 11th hour it's not like anything would have changed drastically.