Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Colts Coaching Changes

sb41champs

34 minutes ago, sb41champs said:

In TOTAL - how many changes to the Colts 2022 coaching staff will be made - regardless of position or reason the change was made?

So far - we have 2 - Eberflus to the Bears as their new head coach - AND - the release of DL coach Brian Baker.

Unless we promote an assistant to D coordinator, my guess is some will follow Flus and we'll have an entirely new D coaching staff. 

Otherwise, I think ST and O stay the same. I feel like if we were gonna fire anyone on O we already would have done so.

41 minutes ago, MTC said:

Ouch. That might be the biggest loss of the three departures. 

That's ok.  I don't mind.  Teams lose and gain coaches all the time.

And I was expecting that, once they hired their new DC, he was gonna say, "This is the kind of defense I wanna run, and I want a say on who is gonna help me run it."  I was expecting us to have to replace pretty much the entire defensive coaching staff.

It'll be ok.  At least we won't be stagnant.  And at least we won't appear to do nothing, when after this year's collapse, we really needed to do something anyway.

58 minutes ago, MTC said:

Ouch. That might be the biggest loss of the three departures. 

Oh yes that one will hurt. I knew we were losing the LB coach but I wanted to keep Rowe.  He has done a good job developing Kenny Moore, RYS and Isiah Rodgers.  Rhodes and Carrie rejuvenated their careers a bit as well.  He is a very good coach

16 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Interesting. Sideways move or perhaps promoted to DC?

If not DC it could be a raise and more responsibility.  Add an already good defense and if Rodgers leaves, the NFC North is wide open. Rumors are we liked Fields and Eberflus taking that job means he probably does as well.  Chicago is a good job to take and prove yourself. 

It doesn't matter on what or how many changes there's. Colts need to step up and make the best choices available. Frank could give up play calling and we could get a good OC but that isn't going to happen.

Frank isn't bad at OC but he is a Head Coach now and needs to focus on the whole team. 

Defense isn't bad either. Need a dang pass rush game to help DBs out. Need to stop 3rd downs and redzone. Not that hard to figure out. Can Colts figure out what DC and other assistants it takes to do that??

Inquiring minds want to know.. Haha 

On 1/28/2022 at 5:58 PM, AwesomeAustin said:

If not DC it could be a raise and more responsibility.  Add an already good defense and if Rodgers leaves, the NFC North is wide open. Rumors are we liked Fields and Eberflus taking that job means he probably does as well.  Chicago is a good job to take and prove yourself. 

Flus can take all the coaches with him. They run that stupid scheme. We need coaches who run a more aggressive scheme

46 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Flus can take all the coaches with him. They run that stupid scheme. We need coaches who run a more aggressive scheme

What scheme exactly would you like them to run?  I actually agree they need to be less obvious in there scheme,  especially on third down

25 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So rather than getting personal which u always do please explain how this defensive  philosophy is aggressive? 

Of course, that’s NOT what I said.   I strongly object to your idea that position coaches need to go because their boss, the DC,  doesn’t run a system you like.   

It’s not the fault of the position coaches, it’s the fault of the DC.   This is Football 101,  which you should know, but don’t.   You don’t fire good position coaches because you don’t like the coordinator.   Goodness gracious, that’s absurd!!   

And I get personal because you have no idea  of how you RUIN my favorite website with your nonsense, and have since the day you arrived.   And you do that by making the same bogus arguments over and over for years and act as if it’s the first time you’ve made the post.    Not days, weeks or months, but years!  

And if you think I’m alone in this view, you’re kidding yourself. 

5 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Ballard went and got Flus to run this scheme, it is what Ballard said he believes in. And Ballard provides the players, and the DC and His position coaches do the best they can with what they are given.

We lacked Experience and talent on D last season. Well, a few young guys got there feet wet, but they must get better at their jobs for our Colts D to show significant improvement. And it starts with the D-Line!!!

And Ballard needs to acquire/draft some better talent.

23 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Is it the Scheme or the players? If you know the answer let Ballard know. We could've been missing on the pass rush cause no Veterans. If the pass rush gets better, it relieves the DB's. I know I seen several times the pass rushers just wasn't able to get there.

1 hour ago, Maniac53 said:

Is it the Scheme or the players? If you know the answer let Ballard know. We could've been missing on the pass rush cause no Veterans. If the pass rush gets better, it relieves the DB's. I know I seen several times the pass rushers just wasn't able to get there.

Never been a fan of this scheme. I am hoping for a coach that will go with something different. I really believe that the Colts were ready to move on from Flus, but he got head coach job so it made the decision easy.

14 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Never been a fan of this scheme. I am hoping for a coach that will go with something different. I really believe that the Colts were ready to move on from Flus, but he got head coach job so it made the decision easy.

Understand. But what if we get a blitz happy coach that blitz almost every play, but we still can't get to the QB? Say we get that DC you wanted and still can't stop 3rd downs or redzone? Is it the DC or scheme or players? Not saying you are wrong just asking what you are thinking. I'm asking cause nobody knows for sure if it was Flus or not. I guess we might find out next season or may not. I say may not know, cause could be different pass rushers and players. If so how do you blame Flus? Haha

4 minutes ago, Maniac53 said:

Understand. But what if we get a blitz happy coach that blitz almost every play, but we still can't get to the QB? Say we get that DC you wanted and still can't stop 3rd downs or redzone? Is it the DC or scheme or players? Not saying you are wrong just asking what you are thinking. I'm asking cause nobody knows for sure if it was Flus or not. I guess we might find out next season or may not. I say may not know, cause could be different pass rushers and players. If so how do you blame Flus? Haha

I have always tought it was more lack of talent. However maybe a new  D coordinator like Schwartz will tell us truly what the problem is. 

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I have always tought it was more lack of talent. However maybe a new  D coordinator like Schwartz will tell us truly what the problem is. 

Thank you, respect your response and opinion. Just think you may have been putting to much on Flus. JMO But you may be right also, thank again

12 hours ago, Maniac53 said:

Thank you, respect your response and opinion. Just think you may have been putting to much on Flus. JMO But you may be right also, thank again

I think the defense's lack of production is shared between  Ballard and Flus. This defense relies a lot on a 4 man rush. This D line has not been able to sustain any pressure for over 4 years. Is that coaching or  talent? We will find out soon as a new D coordinator will be taking over. If he fails to develop a pass rush, then that speaks of talent more than coaching. I was really disappointed in Flus in the final game. He did not attack  Lawrence in the last game. Unacceptable. I just like this D scheme

Archived