Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Byron Leftwich

sb41champs

Absolutely, yes.  Where's the Juice?

I don't like the look when a player makes demands about who his HC or GM is....when somebody demands not to have a certain boss.  Huh?

Leftwich is the OC of a team who has a career-long offensive minded HC and the GOAT at QB, so its hard to say how much Byron actually is responsible for the success of the TB offense.....not that it didn't fail at critical times too.

Not seeing the contribution, combined with the demand for a different boss before he's even hired, seems a little "off" to me.  A little high on himself and who he thinks he is, apparently.

Having said that, I think Baalke was supposed to be relieved of his duties after the draft anyway, so I'm not sure why the demand is even necessary.   Again, a little "off" from my perspective. 

On 1/28/2022 at 4:27 PM, sb41champs said:

It's been reported on FS1 that Byron Leftwich will take the Jaguars HC position if GM Trent Baalke is relieved of his duties.

Surprised that Leftwich has enough "juice" as a HC candidate to expect this sort of change to the front office staff?

My thought exactly. On the Vikings site, fans said Trent Baalke is disliked by coaching candidates. They also said he had issues with Jim Harbaugh when they were together with the 49ers (which I was aware of). Still, as a candidate with no head coaching experience, it is not a good sign that he is dictating that a GM needs to be fired.

28 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

My thought exactly. On the Vikings site, fans said Trent Baalke is disliked by coaching candidates. They also said he had issues with Jim Harbaugh when they were together with the 49ers (which I was aware of). Still, as a candidate with no head coaching experience, it is not a good sign that he is dictating that a GM needs to be fired.

Considering that when you take on a coaching job it may be your only chance and the jags have been so bad I don’t blame him for wanting someone he can connect with.

It is my understanding that Baalke is difficult to get along with.  I understand Byron Leftwich NOT wanting to take a HC job with someone in the front office that isn't willing to share the same "vision" for the team.  

If it were me - I also wouldn't want a GM who "might" be replaced after the draft - running the teams draft.  Too much potential of NOT drafting players who would succeed in Leftwich's offense.  What's Baalke got to lose if he knows he's gonna be fired.  Maybe a little "payback"?

Who knows.

On 1/29/2022 at 11:23 AM, DougDew said:

Absolutely, yes.  Where's the Juice?

I don't like the look when a player makes demands about who his HC or GM is....when somebody demands not to have a certain boss.  Huh?

Leftwich is the OC of a team who has a career-long offensive minded HC and the GOAT at QB, so its hard to say how much Byron actually is responsible for the success of the TB offense.....not that it didn't fail at critical times too.

Not seeing the contribution, combined with the demand for a different boss before he's even hired, seems a little "off" to me.  A little high on himself and who he thinks he is, apparently.

Having said that, I think Baalke was supposed to be relieved of his duties after the draft anyway, so I'm not sure why the demand is even necessary.   Again, a little "off" from my perspective. 

Anyone is allowed to ask for things before accepting a job.    If the Jags really want him,  they will fire Baalke.  If  they don't,  he doesn't take the job.   Pretty simple

37 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Anyone is allowed to ask for things before accepting a job.    If the Jags really want him,  they will fire Baalke.  If  they don't,  he doesn't take the job.   Pretty simple

Asking?  I thought that it was reported he was demanding, sort of a condition of employment.  I think its revealing.

I'm still not sold on OCs who have an offensive minded coach and a great QB being in a position to say that their contribution was really significant.

Who is the OC for the LAR?  For Cincy?

I guess the OC from GB just got hired, but Rodgers gave him glowing public remarks so that is a bit different.  

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Asking?  I thought that it was reported he was demanding, sort of a condition of employment.  I think its revealing.

I'm still not sold on OCs who have an offensive minded coach and a great QB being in a position to say that their contribution was really significant.

Who is the OC for the LAR?  For Cincy?

I guess the OC from GB just got hired, but Rodgers gave him glowing public remarks so that is a bit different.  

Kevin O'Connell in LA, who will be interviewing for HC jobs .

Brian Callahan in Cincy.   I haven't heard his name in the HC rumors.

On 2/1/2022 at 7:35 AM, DougDew said:

Even if he was "demanding" or requiring as a condition of him accepting the job it's fine.  If he doesn't think he can work with the GM why would he take the job?  I would say if you are one of the candidates to fill one of 32 jobs in the world (NFL Head Coach) you can demand a lot.  There are a bunch more CEOs out there and they demand all sorts of things as conditions of employment.

2 hours ago, gspdx said:

Even if he was "demanding" or requiring as a condition of him accepting the job it's fine.  If he doesn't think he can work with the GM why would he take the job?  I would say if you are one of the candidates to fill one of 32 jobs in the world (NFL Head Coach) you can demand a lot.  There are a bunch more CEOs out there and they demand all sorts of things as conditions of employment.

Yeah, I was only commenting on the reports presented at the time.  Leftwich is in an okay spot taking over for Arians in TB.  I don't know if he got interviews elsewhere or not besides Jax.  

On 2/1/2022 at 10:46 AM, jvan1973 said:

Kevin O'Connell in LA, who will be interviewing for HC jobs .

And the Vikings hired O'Connell. He does not call plays. If Leftwich did not call plays, you can be sure Doug would have mentioned that. 

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

And the Vikings hired O'Connell. He does not call plays. If Leftwich did not call plays, you can be sure Doug would have mentioned that. 

LOL.  I also don't constantly scan the goings on in the entire NFL to find spotty evidence that validates the bad take I have about how the world works.

I'll restate my main point. 

Its hard for a fan to understand the contributions that OCs make when they are bracketed by a (successful) minded OC and an Elite QB,

If one of the HCs needs to not have a certain GM as a boss, that stands out from the others. 

I don't know if Sirianni had an issue with Rosman in Philly, and Rosman isn't universally thought of either.

I have no idea of what O'Connell did, nor if he has a problem with his boss.  A normal person would probably not have accept an interview if he already knew that he didn't wan to work with the guy.  Maybe Lefty thought he had some sort of leverage going in to his interview.  Or maybe he didn't like Baalke after it.

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

I also don't constantly scan the goings on in the entire NFL to find spotty evidence that validates the bad take I have about how the world works.

haha You could have fooled us. 

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

Its hard for a fan to understand the contributions that OCs make when they are bracketed by a (successful) minded OC and an Elite QB

That is why fans are not the ones hiring head coaches. Denver had no problem hiring Nathaniel Hackett. 

14 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

haha You could have fooled us. 

That is why fans are not the ones hiring head coaches. Denver had no problem hiring Nathaniel Hackett. 

But a lot of fans judge who a team hires or should hire.   And a lot of those fans have bad takes. 

Archived