Who do you want as DC?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as DC?

2. 2. What do you prefer as base D?

• 4-3
    • 3-4
    • Doesn't matter if we're playing Nickel/Dime most of the time

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/28/2022 at 07:41 AM

22 minutes ago, J@son said:

It's hard to say for sure but I always felt that Chicago defense was more a product of rod marinelli than lovie Smith. They both came up under dungy and in sure they both were heavily involved in the implementation and gameplanning, but marinelli was the one calling the plays which, to me, is extremely important. 

Agreed.

The only problem is that Rod Marinelli is something like 75 years old.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Voted Schwartz because I think he will fit what we already have best. 

Voted 34. I remember seeing an interview years back now with a Pats olineman (forgot his name). He said they practiced harder and had a lot more film study when facing 34 teams because they had more options. 
Now I don’t know enough about it to really say one way or the other but this interview has really stuck with me. Creating uncertainty and forcing your opponent to guess is what it’s all about on defense in my opinion. 

If u look at the talent of this  D I  think   Zimmer and Schwartz are the  best fit. Anyone else and  I think u would need  big changes to the personnel

41 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I sit corrected - BUT - look what he did in Miami with what he was dealt.....5-11 (finishing 5-4), 10-6 and 9-8.........so 24-18 after starting 0-7 as a first time head coach. 3-4 or 4-3 doesn't matter, Belichick taught all his coaches multiple fronts and they played both 4-3, 4-2-5 and 3-4 at different points of the games.

He has literally started from the bottom as a scouting assistant, then pro scout then into the coaching ranks and did win 4 rings as a coach with the Pats. 

The dude has fire, he is a hard worker and he is a winner! Alas, tis not our decision though and he'll likely end up with the Saints or Giants as their next head coach and all this discussion will be for naught!

I understand.  Its hard to tell what causes a positive response from players.  Seems like a good coach, but the lack of experience as DC is a setback with me.  And with the BB tree, you never know how much the defense was a product of BB and what the assistants contributed.  I think Matt Patricia is an example. 

A lot of the MIA fans are wanting, and saying the GM wants an offensive minded guy as HC, and that was part of the reason for Flores firing. 

34 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If u look at the talent of this  D I  think   Zimmer and Schwartz are the  best fit. Anyone else and  I think u would need  big changes to the personnel

I agree. Mentioned Schwarz myself for that specific reason. I just prefer 34 base over 43. 

I think that maybe the ones on the list that don't run a soft cover 2 won't even be considered? 

I think that if Ballard wants a soft cover 2 type of defense then who is hired to run it probably won't matter much anyway... it will be more of what Eberflus ran. 

....so then the problem on D won't be Eberflus anymore or the new DC but will be more with Ballard because that's the type of D he wants. 

I personally like aggressive man defenses that make you earn everything you get, but that requires more talented players.

23 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I think that maybe the ones on the list that don't run a soft cover 2 won't even be considered? 

I think that if Ballard wants a soft cover 2 type of defense then who is hired to run it probably won't matter much anyway... it will be more of what Eberflus ran. 

....so then the problem on D won't be Eberflus anymore or the new DC but will be more with Ballard because that's the type of D he wants. 

I personally like aggressive man defenses that make you earn everything you get, but that requires more talented players.

The idea that the Colts run a soft cover two defense is so based

I voted 4-3. I don’t think the Colts have the personnel for a 3-4.  With the needs on offense and the front office in win now mode I don’t see the need for a switch. I prefer a 4-3.  I know some could interpret his word differently but to me it seemed like Ballard threw shade on the 3-4 idea. 

I’m passing on Flores since he would have one foot out the door before he even gets here. I voted for Richard with Kocurek 2nd.  Richard runs a defense that would work with our personnel, Ballard likes, and brings more aggressive play.  Kocurek’s 49ers have got after the QB without a lot of blitzing and he has a track record with Defo.  Both young upcoming coaches.  

Next tier to me is Schwartz and then Zimmer. Pulling Schwartz from the Titans is appealing.  His system could work with this personnel too. I know Frank and he worked together in Phily but it’s not like Frank made that decision so that could go either way. Schwartz’s players have been accused of playing on the edge of dirty.  He doesn’t strike me as an angel. That’s okay with me. I always enjoyed that he thought Harbaugh was a tool. Not sure how that fits with our pastor HC though.  Zimmer’s track record as a D-Coordinator speaks for itself but I’m not sure he fits the culture. 

If there’s an in-house candidate Im rooting for Rowe. 

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Agreed.

The only problem is that Rod Marinelli is something like 75 years old.

Oh for sure. I'd take Rod if he had an understudy in mind that he'd be training to take his spot when he retires. Otherwise though id rather have zimmer, Schwartz or Richard over Lovie

7 hours ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Just throwing out there, Leslie Frazier..

If definitely prefer Frazier over Lovie Smith but I think the thread is about realistic options. Why would he take a lateral move to come here from Buffalo?  Only way he leaves Buffalo is to take a head coaching gig. 

5 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

I definitely don’t want Lovie. If people thought Flus played too much soft zone, Lovie would be even worse in that regards. Seems to me Marinelli was better as a D-Line coach than he was a D-Coordinator 

Bringing in a guy who is so set in his ways would be a huge mistake. We need young and someone who is thinks differently and will maximize what we have. Lovie is so set in his ways he would not put players in position to maximize their strengths.

16 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

I definitely don’t want Lovie. If people thought Flus played too much soft zone, Lovie would be even worse in that regards. Seems to me Marinelli was better as a D-Line coach than he was a D-Coordinator 

Don't think I would agree with that 

37 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Bringing in a guy who is so set in his ways would be a huge mistake. We need young and someone who is thinks differently and will maximize what we have. Lovie is so set in his ways he would not put players in position to maximize their strengths.

So you think a guy that has been a coach for 30 years doesn't know how to get players in the right position.   Yet think a young guy that thinks "outside the box" is going to be able to get them 

Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

19 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

How exactly is the league changing?     Define open minded?

When you have a older coach set in his way the chances of him trying to force players into doing things that aren’t their strengths is much more likely. Guys like Smith are just to set in their ways to bring someone knew. I know it’s hard to explain but it’s just how I feel.

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

Wow. It’s going to be a complete revamp of the defensive coaching staff. 

It’s exciting and scary at the same time. This is what everyone wanted but change is scary. I like they are looking at candidates who come from places with a good pass rush. That’s where we need the most improvement.

Here are a couple articles about Joe Cullen for those interested. These were written just last year once he was hired as the Jaguars defensive coordinator. Prior to Jacksonville he was in Baltimore for several years as their defensive line coach. 

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/13/jags-dc-joe-cullen-discusses-new-defensive-scheme/

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/5-observations-on-the-jaguars-official-hiring-of-dc-joe-cullen

https://www.jaguars.com/news/cullen-speaks-no-1-is-relentless-effort

Here is an article from earlier this month about a couple of the players saying they hope he stays as DC.

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/sports/nfl/2022/01/06/myles-jack-said-jaguars-defense-united-wanting-coordinator-joe-cullen-return-2022-season/9065649002/

After looking at it some more, Cullen has experience prior to Baltimore in the scheme Eberflus ran here.

2006-2008, Lions (Rod Marinelli)

2010-2012, Jaguars (Jack Del Rio / Mike Mularkey)

2013, Browns (HC Rob Chudzinski, DC Ray Horton)

2014-2015 Bucs (Lovie Smith)

2016-2020, Ravens (HC John Harbaugh, DC Dean Pees and Don Martindale)

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I could be wrong but I think Richard interviewed for our HC opening before Ballard gave the job to that Patriots guy.  Anyone else recall that.

...and Fangio was fired by the Colts too.

So I guess we cross off Richards and Fangio then. 

13 minutes ago, ar7 said:

After looking at it some more, Cullen has experience prior to Baltimore in the scheme Eberflus ran here.

2006-2008, Lions (Rod Marinelli)

2010-2012, Jaguars (Jack Del Rio / Mike Mularkey)

2013, Browns (HC Rob Chudzinski, DC Ray Horton)

2014-2015 Bucs (Lovie Smith)

2016-2020, Ravens (HC John Harbaugh, DC Dean Pees and Don Martindale)

That might be enough for me to scratch him off the list. Lol. I do like he has dline experience.

Archived