Who do you want as DC?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as DC?

2. 2. What do you prefer as base D?

• 4-3
    • 3-4
    • Doesn't matter if we're playing Nickel/Dime most of the time

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/28/2022 at 07:41 AM

A ton of names being tossed around, so wanted to do a little digging.

So I'll share my digging......

Anyone not on the list that you like?

No order

1. Kris Richard (4-2-5 when Seattle DC)
    • History: Saints DB, Dallas DB, Seahawks DC, Seahawks DB
  2. Jim Schwartz (4-3, but really 4-2-5 base Nickel)
    • History: Titans DA, Eagles DC, Bills DC, Lions HC, Titans DC
    • Has history with FR (2 years in Phil)
    • Has interviewed with Indy before. Always seems to be in demand to an extent.
  3. Brian Flores (3-4 in Miami)
    • History: Dolphins HC, Pats LB-S-ST-Scout
    • BB student, but never a DC before getting the HC gig
    • Relationship with Miami's GM (Greir) and Tua were speculated to have eroded. 
  4. Matt Patricia (4-3 in Detroit)
    • History: Pats SFA, Lions HC, Pats DC, Pats S-LB
    • Chilled as an advisor/consultant last season for the Evil Genius
  5. Don "Wink" Matindale (3-4)
    • History: Ravens DC-LB, Broncos DC-LB
  6. Mike Zimmer (4-3)
    • History: Viking HC, Bengals DC, Falcons DC, Dallas DC-DB
  7. Teryl Austin (3-4 at Pitt, 4-3 as Bengals DC)
    • History: Pitt DBs, Bengals DC, Lions DC
  8. Sean Desai (3-4)
    • History: Bears DC-S
    • Replaced Pagano
  9. Lovie Smith (4-3 with Texans)
    • History: Texans HC, IL (CFB) HC, Bucs HC, Bears HC
  10. Vic Fangio (3-4)
    • History: Broncos HC, Bears DC, 49ers DC, ++++
  • Other names I've seen, but IMO are very very long shots....
    • Alan Williams - Colts current Ss coach. short tenure of MN DC. IMO, will leave with Flus
    • Rob Ryan - has vast DC experience, currently Ravens LB coach. I like him, but not sure he'd fit Reich's culture.
    • Rod Marinelli - 75ish years old. Not a long term hire/fix at that age.. 

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

James Rowe- He was the D.C at Valdosta State when Kenny Moore was a senior. Joined our staff last off season as DB coach, his aspiration was to become a D.C.

Base D prefer a 4-3, we have enough LB talent with Speed and Franklin that not having 5 DB's where we have some depth issues on the field so often would be a boom IMO.

2 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

James Rowe- He was the D.C at Valdosta State when Kenny Moore was a senior. Joined our staff last off season as DB coach, his aspiration was to become a D.C.

Base D prefer a 4-3, we have enough LB talent with Speed and Franklin that not having 5 DB's where we have some depth issues on the field so often would be a boom IMO.

I really like Rowe, and hope he stays.

But I also think he needs more experience. 

I know he had some low level gigs at WFT bookended by two FBS gigs, but he's only got one year as a full position coach at the NFL level. 

I wouldn't hate it, just think he'd be much more prepared after a few more years. 

13 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

I don’t think I’m ready for him to be our DC but I definitely do not want him to leave and follow Flus to Chicago. I think Rowe would be a great fit for our DC next time it becomes available, whenever that is and he has some more experience.

I voted other and it's Marvin lewis. 

I like marinelli too but his age is a negative. If he had an understudy in mind that would take over when he retires then OK. I'd definitely be open to Richard, Schwartz or zimmer also. Martindale sounds interesting but I also have a hunch he'd be the least likely. 

15 minutes ago, J@son said:

I voted other and it's Marvin lewis. 

I like marinelli too but his age is a negative. If he had an understudy in mind that would take over when he retires then OK. I'd definitely be open to Richard, Schwartz or zimmer also. Martindale sounds interesting but I also have a hunch he'd be the least likely. 

I think Marv is ready to hang it up, or getting really close. He's chilling with his buddy Herm out in AZ. I think he asked to be demoted back down to advisor/consultant after taking on a bigger role in 2020 to mentor Antonio Pierce. 

I voted Zimmer. He’s a heck of a coach. Watched lots of Cincy when he was DC. He might not be a culture fit per se but I think he could work the players we have into a better unit. That said, I’m pretty okay with everyone on the list of 10. Austin gives me pause because his D was so bad in 2018. 

Voted Schwartz because I think he will fit what we already have best. 

Voted 34. I remember seeing an interview years back now with a Pats olineman (forgot his name). He said they practiced harder and had a lot more film study when facing 34 teams because they had more options. 
Now I don’t know enough about it to really say one way or the other but this interview has really stuck with me. Creating uncertainty and forcing your opponent to guess is what it’s all about on defense in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I think Marv is ready to hang it up, or getting really close. He's chilling with his buddy Herm out in AZ. I think he asked to be demoted back down to advisor/consultant after taking on a bigger role in 2020 to mentor Antonio Pierce. 

Oh really? I hadn't followed him all that closely since Cincy. Just saw his position at ASU and thought it looked a lot like the type of position a former hc would take after being fired and before trying to get another nfl gig. 

1 minute ago, J@son said:

Oh really? I hadn't followed him all that closely since Cincy. Just saw his position at ASU and thought it looked a lot like the type of position a former hc would take after being fired and before trying to get another nfl gig. 

I'm not sure, but I follow ASU loosely (friends/fam in AZ, and had a work center out there for years).... I was a fan of Herm going there, and got the feeling Marv was pulled out there to help with the rebuild. ASU I guess is my fav from the PAC. Great place if you want to ready yourself for retirement lol... Could be totally wrong. My gut just says he'll help his buddy out as long as Herm is in charge, and he'll hang it up when Herm does if not before. 

Lesson Learned

Didn't we try to use a 3-4 base a few years ago and determined that our home field plays faster than what our production we got from our bigger/heavier DL?  I think a 3-4 base is out of the question and it has to be a 4-3 base with faster DEs like the old days of Freeney and Mathis.

3 hours ago, Larry Horseman said:

I voted Zimmer. He’s a heck of a coach. Watched lots of Cincy when he was DC. He might not be a culture fit per se but I think he could work the players we have into a better unit. That said, I’m pretty okay with everyone on the list of 10. Austin gives me pause because his D was so bad in 2018. 

I voted for Zimmer too. But if part of why Rev Frank bounced the old OL coach was his

abundant use of profanity, he'd never hire Zimmer.

Zimmer's tirades would make the most abrasive, Marine DI blush. 

I’m not understanding why people would want Flores over his DC coordinator Josh Boyer.  Flores was a position and special teams coach and never has been a DC. Am I missing something?  

For the Colts job...I really don’t know.  I didn’t know who Eberflus was when he was hired.  Going to trust the teams judgement and hope they get someone a little more aggressive upfront.  Would be nice to see a couple players brought in that can stunt so we can be creative on the line.  

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

A ton of names being tossed around, so wanted to do a little digging.

So I'll share my digging......

Anyone not on the list that you like?

No order

1. Kris Richard (4-2-5 when Seattle DC)
    • History: Saints DB, Dallas DB, Seahawks DC, Seahawks DB
  2. Jim Schwartz (4-3, but really 4-2-5 base Nickel)
    • History: Titans DA, Eagles DC, Bills DC, Lions HC, Titans DC
    • Has history with FR (2 years in Phil)
    • Has interviewed with Indy before. Always seems to be in demand to an extent.
  3. Brian Flores (3-4 in Miami)
    • History: Dolphins HC, Pats LB-S-ST-Scout
    • BB student, but never a DC before getting the HC gig
    • Relationship with Miami's GM (Greir) and Tua were speculated to have eroded. 
  4. Matt Patricia (4-3 in Detroit)
    • History: Pats SFA, Lions HC, Pats DC, Pats S-LB
    • Chilled as an advisor/consultant last season for the Evil Genius
  5. Don "Wink" Matindale (3-4)
    • History: Ravens DC-LB, Broncos DC-LB
  6. Mike Zimmer (4-3)
    • History: Viking HC, Bengals DC, Falcons DC, Dallas DC-DB
  7. Teryl Austin (3-4 at Pitt, 4-3 as Bengals DC)
    • History: Pitt DBs, Bengals DC, Lions DC
  8. Sean Desai (3-4)
    • History: Bears DC-S
    • Replaced Pagano
  9. Lovie Smith (4-3 with Texans)
    • History: Texans HC, IL (CFB) HC, Bucs HC, Bears HC
  10. Vic Fangio (3-4)
    • History: Broncos HC, Bears DC, 49ers DC, ++++
  • Other names I've seen, but IMO are very very long shots....
    • Alan Williams - Colts current Ss coach. short tenure of MN DC. IMO, will leave with Flus
    • Rob Ryan - has vast DC experience, currently Ravens LB coach. I like him, but not sure he'd fit Reich's culture.
    • Rod Marinelli - 75ish years old. Not a long term hire/fix at that 

The DL guy from 49ers that was previous with miami, Kocurek.

Look at his stats, top 10 DL all places he coached..

Owen came up with his name and he's has a resume of making great DLs.

I voted Schwartz and 4-3.  He has the best resume IMO and a personality suited to be a DC.

I don't get the love for Flores.  Seemed unqualified before he got the HC job and an eroding relationship with your boss and your field captain is a sign of a personality that is too small for the job.   Seems like a risky pick.

Matt Patricia is interesting.  But I somehow think that because he was part of the Colts Patriots rivalry that he still is a Patriot at heart and would come here for the purpose of subverting the Colts and destroying us from within.  A BB Trojan Horse....LOL.  

I think the time to make the switch back to a 34 would be when Ballard and Reich's contracts expire.

For those who want a 3-4 coach, I need answers to these questions:

How does our $60M 218 pound LB fit in?

Can Grover play 0 tech?

Who plays 5 tech?

Do Paye, Lewis, or Dayo drop back into coverage, or does Dayo add weight to play 5t and Lewis goes unsigned?

Can we convert Turay to a 34 OLB?

Will we play zone in the secondary or expose RYS to man coverage?

Realizing that we'd play nickel a lot, but that's a different question.

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I’m not understanding why people would want Flores over his DC coordinator Josh Boyer.  Flores was a position and special teams coach and never has been a DC. Am I missing something?  

For the Colts job...I really don’t know.  I didn’t know who Eberflus was when he was hired.  Going to trust the teams judgement and hope they get someone a little more aggressive upfront.  Would be nice to see a couple players brought in that can stunt so we can be creative on the line.  

Yep.  The new DC is bound to be playing with different players.  And that washes away any attempt to have a reliable constant to compare against.

2 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Voted Flores but Schwartz or Zimmer are solid choices. 

Keep it 4-3!!!! 

No disrespect to Flus, but I'm more excited than I anticipated that we are getting a new DC!  

Yes.  I was agnostic to the analysis that some folks used to show Flus the door, but I'm simply looking forward to changes after 4 years.

As of this writing, I'm the only person that voted Lovie Smith.

However, he has a long history of success with this scheme.  He was Dungy's LB coach in Tampa, he became HC in Chicago, and used this defense successfully there.  He knows how to coach it, and coach it well.

No, I don't want to change scheme.  I don't want to change it drastically (like switching to a 3-4) because it requires a change in personnel.  (No matter what CB says about running nickel all the time)  Not sure I want to change it that much at all, because it requires current personnel to learn new roles, new reactions, new applications.  I want them to react quickly.  I don't want them going through the new decision tree, trying to figure out what they're supposed to do next.

Lovie Smith knows how to run this defense successfully, and our players don't have to learn something new.  I'm good with that.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Yep.  The new DC is bound to be playing with different players.  And that washes away any attempt to have a reliable constant to compare against.

There is no denying Flus did a good job here.  Top 10 in scoring defense 3 of 4 years is outstanding.  However, I still think it needed more to be elite. A lot of that may be talent across the DL and possibly the position coach they just let go. Hopefully this defense makes the next step and rocks our world.  Doesn’t take much to go the other way and we become average. I’m like a lot of other people that was annoyed by the soft zone we saw so much but the more I break down film it was partly due to players abilities and lack of pass rush. Who is to blame?  I have no clue but pieces are there for a dominant D and just a couple more playmakers can take us to the promise land. 

1 minute ago, AwesomeAustin said:

There is no denying Flus did a good job here.  Top 10 in scoring defense 3 of 4 years is outstanding.  However, I still think it needed more to be elite. A lot of that may be talent across the DL and possibly the position coach they just let go. Hopefully this defense makes the next step and rocks our world.  Doesn’t take much to go the other way and we become average. I’m like a lot of other people that was annoyed by the soft zone we saw so much but the more I break down film it was partly due to players abilities and lack of pass rush. Who is to blame?  I have no clue but pieces are there for a dominant D and just a couple more playmakers can take us to the promise land. 

Well, old arguments have just been rendered moot since he's not here now.

The new guy will have a wave of new variables;, talented rookies with a full year under their belts, probably two new rookies, maybe a new vet, and hopefully more stability in the secondary.

But some will still choose to ignore the variables, worse yet will choose to analyze them, and continue to pound that their takes about Flus were right.

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

However, he has a long history of success with this scheme.  He was Dungy's LB coach in Tampa, he became HC in Chicago, and used this defense successfully there.  He knows how to coach it, and coach it well.

No, I don't want to change scheme.  I don't want to change it drastically (like switching to a 3-4) because it requires a change in personnel.  (No matter what CB says about running nickel all the time)  Not sure I want to change it that much at all, because it requires current personnel to learn new roles, new reactions, new applications.  I want them to react quickly.  I don't want them going through the new decision tree, trying to figure out what they're supposed to do next.

Lovie Smith knows how to run this defense successfully, and our players don't have to learn something new.  I'm good with that.

I like Lovie too and I would be ok with the hire, although if you want to see some blitz it aint going to happen much with Lovie. 

I'd be good with Schwartz.  Seems like a good relationship fit since he and frank worked together in Philly.

I'd be good with Lovie Smith mainly because he's proven with the type of scheme that Ballard wants to run.  You just won't see much blitzing with him. 

To a lesser degree I'wouldn't mind Steve Wilks because his 4-3 is agressive and he loves to blitz.  Doesn't look like they had a good year on D at Missouri but they sort of tightened up towards the end of the year.   I don't know what their personnel was like and other factors that could have contributed to that. 

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

It's hard to say for sure but I always felt that Chicago defense was more a product of rod marinelli than lovie Smith. They both came up under dungy and in sure they both were heavily involved in the implementation and gameplanning, but marinelli was the one calling the plays which, to me, is extremely important. 

I voted other for the DC and doesn't matter for the base D. I like primarily 1 gap schemes so could be 4-3 or 3-4.

My first choice would be Wade Phillips. I know he is 74 but I think he is still interested in coaching. He is an excellent teacher, puts guys in position to succeed, and instantly becomes one of the best DCs in the league if he returns. He can absolutely work with the current personnel too.

Another guy i'd like as DC is Gus Bradley.

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

I'd love Flores and the fire in his belly.......from the Dark One's coaching tree so he has experience with winning and playing multiple fronts and makes adjustments to the scheme as the game dictates......

But never as DC.   And his experience is with a 3-4, requiring some personnel changes from what we have.

Brian Flores (3-4 in Miami)

History: Dolphins HC, Pats LB-S-ST-Scout

BB student, but never a DC before getting the HC gig

Just now, DougDew said:

But never as DC.   And his experience is with a 3-4, requiring some personnel changes from what we have.

Brian Flores (3-4 in Miami)

History: Dolphins HC, Pats LB-S-ST-Scout

BB student, but never a DC before getting the HC gig

I sit corrected - BUT - look what he did in Miami with what he was dealt.....5-11 (finishing 5-4), 10-6 and 9-8.........so 24-18 after starting 0-7 as a first time head coach. 3-4 or 4-3 doesn't matter, Belichick taught all his coaches multiple fronts and they played both 4-3, 4-2-5 and 3-4 at different points of the games.

He has literally started from the bottom as a scouting assistant, then pro scout then into the coaching ranks and did win 4 rings as a coach with the Pats. 

The dude has fire, he is a hard worker and he is a winner! Alas, tis not our decision though and he'll likely end up with the Saints or Giants as their next head coach and all this discussion will be for naught!

Archived