Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brian Baker out as dline coach


Recommended Posts

If we get a new DC and dline coach I can’t wait to see what improvements are made. Rumor is they want Turay back on a cheap one year deal.  I bet he tests FA but I would really like to see him with a nee Dline coach and DC. He is one of those I have a feeling if he goes somewhere else will light it up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I kind of expected this. The development of our DL talent has been very questionable. Ballard has put in very large number of good quality picks in the position and we still can't create consistent pass-rush. 

 

I wouldn't be shocked if we get a change at OL-coaching too... 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, stitches said:

I kind of expected this. The development of our DL talent has been very questionable. Ballard has put in very large number of good quality picks in the position and we still can't create consistent pass-rush. 

 

I wouldn't be shocked if we get a change at OL-coaching too... 

 

True. Not surprised he was let go. Still, Baker was only here for two years. Seems to be more of a (lack of) talent issue rather than a coaching issue. Tends to happen when you over-draft DE projects. The only common denominator with the DL since 2018 is the people scouting and turning in the card. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, stitches said:

I kind of expected this. The development of our DL talent has been very questionable. Ballard has put in very large number of good quality picks in the position and we still can't create consistent pass-rush. 

 

I wouldn't be shocked if we get a change at OL-coaching too... 

 

I would. The OL struggled due to injury. They got decent play out of replacement level guys late in the season. Usually well disciplined. Play calling and QBing influenced a lot of the protection issues. I would think Strausser is on pretty solid footing.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

 

True. Not surprised he was let go. Still, Baker was only here for two years. Seems to be more of a (lack of) talent issue rather than a coaching issue. Tends to happen when you over-draft DE projects. The only common denominator with the DL since 2018 is the people scouting and turning in the card. 

yes our d-line picks were reaches

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I assume the DC whether it be Flus or someone new will have a very big say on who it is correct?    

 

If So  Wink is out there. so if Flus leaves and they go after Wink  Weaver could be a good option  Or possibly Weaver as DC.  

 

Just thinking out loud. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

yes our d-line picks were reaches

 

See, that's where I'm not sure.  Was our scouting group and Ballard that far off?  Was the development of those high picks (or lack of) due to coaching?  And finally - Did the scheme contribute to their lack of success?

 

I don't have the All-22, but I've seen too many plays where the QB has time to sit in the pocket and scan the field on 3rd and long.

 

Kwity shows promise, Lewis was getting better, but the rest...mediocrity defined.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

I would. The OL struggled due to injury. They got decent play out of replacement level guys late in the season. Usually well disciplined. Play calling and QBing influenced a lot of the protection issues. I would think Strausser is on pretty solid footing.

I see your point but I still feel like this line is underachieving. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

yes our d-line picks were reaches

 

I don't know where other teams had those players, so hard to say how much of a reach they were. Outside of Paye, pre-draft reports did speculate they were later picks though (Day 3 even).

 

But I think they were just much higher up on the Colts board than they should have been, based on how they value and scout the position. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

Obviously, it depends on whether Flus is still here. Marinelli seems like a likely candidate.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Something weird that happened this season was colts did well with scrambling QB keeping them in the well and getting pressure on them. Jackson killed us with pocket passing. We really struggle with pocket passers who just get the ball out quick.

 

That is typically most teams that struggle with the good pocket passers that read Ds well. Beating pocket passers that read Ds well requires an ability to rush at a HIGH level with just 4 AND play sticky coverage mostly at a HIGH level. We don't do both consistently well enough with teams that have 3 or more good receiving options, and don't compensate with blitzing either. Mobile QBs that use their legs typically don't pass from the pocket as well and when they do, we have issues because we have to devote an extra guy to spy on the QB. Plus, it is not who you play, it is when you play them. If we played the Bills in the playoffs, we might have suffered a different fate.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

That is typically most teams that struggle with the good pocket passers that read Ds well. Beating pocket passers that read Ds well requires an ability to rush at a HIGH level with just 4 AND play sticky coverage mostly at a HIGH level. We don't do both consistently well enough with teams that have 3 or more good receiving options, and don't compensate with blitzing either. Mobile QBs that use their legs typically don't pass from the pocket as well and when they do, we have issues because we have to devote an extra guy to spy on the QB. Plus, it is not who you play, it is when you play them. If we played the Bills in the playoffs, we might have suffered a different fate.

Yeah I think your right. That’s why it’s hard to get pressure on a lot of QB. Especially the ones like Carr who just get it out so quick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Good. Get him out of here. Hopefully Eberflus goes as well in the next few days. Tired of the conservative garbage on defense every game. Beat the bad teams, lose to the good teams. That doesn't make you a contending team.

We should know here very soon on Eberflus. Looks like jags and bears are wrapping things up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Good. Get him out of here. Hopefully Eberflus goes as well in the next few days. Tired of the conservative garbage on defense every game. Beat the bad teams, lose to the good teams. That doesn't make you a contending team.

Actually this year the Colts beat some good teams, Bills, Cards, Pats, and 49ers.  It was the loss to the bad team, the Jags, that cost them the playoffs.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

We should know here very soon on Eberflus. Looks like jags and bears are wrapping things up.

Don’t you get the feeling he might get left at the alter again  for two straight years?   He’s been a finalist a number of times now.  We should find out soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Don’t you get the feeling he might get left at the alter again  for two straight years?   He’s been a finalist a number of times now.  We should find out soon.

Seems like it. I mean if your chicago Caldwell would be great for Fields. Caldwells age might keep him from job though.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Actually this year the Colts beat some good teams, Bills, Cards, Pats, and 49ers.  It was the loss to the bad team, the Jags, that cost them the playoffs.

Yeah, that was a good stretch with the Bills, Cards, and Pats. The 49ers were due to bad weather though. Not really giving the defense credit there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Between Eberflus and Baker our pass rush schemes were just so bad. I understand not blitzing Leonard as much with his bad ankle this year. But Moore is really good. Should of used him more.  Then they were dropping our dline into coverage at weird times.

Moore definitely couldn’t cover so blitz would have been better lol 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Good. Get him out of here. Hopefully Eberflus goes as well in the next few days. Tired of the conservative garbage on defense every game. Beat the bad teams, lose to the good teams. That doesn't make you a contending team.


Your shoot first, aim second approach is not helpful.   See the response from @GoColts8818

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

If we get a new DC and dline coach I can’t wait to see what improvements are made. Rumor is they want Turay back on a cheap one year deal.  I bet he tests FA but I would really like to see him with a nee Dline coach and DC. He is one of those I have a feeling if he goes somewhere else will light it up.

Talent is not his problem, he has a hard time staying healthy. He needs a MASH unit so I am not sure a new Dline coach is going ot help him lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

 

In Ballard's presser, he answered one of the questions kind of strangely.  I think it was about some sort of previous connection with Fisher as to possibly why he was signed.

 

Ballard immediately said that "There is no nepotism here".   Wonder if he's taking a second look about that everywhere.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Talent is not his problem, he has a hard time staying healthy. He needs a MASH unit so I am not sure a new Dline coach is going ot help him lol

Surprisingly he actually stayed pretty healthy this year. Missed the start of the season with the groin and one with covid. Other then that he stayed healthy. I just hate giving up on him because he now had a full season after that awful injury. He has a lot of speed where I would like to see him with a new new DC and DL coach.  If he tests FA just a guess but we won’t be able to keep him. We need to get him signed before then. I think he could get more then a cheap prove it deal though so maybe he will test FA. He is one of those if he went somewhere with another good rusher he will probably explode. He needs more snaps. Just 22% and had 5.5 sacks. This is where bakers rotation with ends was just bad. It should be up closer to around 40 or 45 percent. He could of had double digit sack numbers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

 

Obviously, it depends on whether Flus is still here. Marinelli seems like a likely candidate.

Good lord I hope not. Need some new blood, not a soon to be 73 year old has been when camp starts. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...