Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you want Eberflus gone?

ChuggaBeer

Do you want Eberflus to take a HCing job?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Eberflus to take a HCing job?

24 minutes ago, csmopar said:

He’s had the talent. He’s just not utilized it well

Which is why he's getting second interviews around the NFL, obviously.

He's utilized AQM, Stallworth, Paye, Oke, Willis, and a gimpy Rhodes this year as well as any DC would have.  I'd bet that each one of those players were in for over 60% of the snaps ....Stallworth maybe not....as long as injury didn't force their even less talented backups into the lineup.   

6 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Truth is we need a player on every level across the board. We need secondary help, we need DL help, and we need a real Mike. Oke ain't built for it... coaching is part of it. We are vanilla on both sides of the ball too often... he'll we ne OL and Rec help on offense... the Wentz signing was a two year set back...it hurts...

I don't think we need to make any changes to our backers.  I think Oke is growing into his role and I like the athleticism he brings with the position.  Anthony Walker would have never made that pick that Oke made in the Pats game for example.  I haven't checked the numbers but although I'm pretty sure we werent as good defending the run this year as we were last year I don't think we were all that terrible at it.  Sure there's some stuff to clean up but I don't think it's reason to totally replace Oke.  Again I think our problems are in two areas.  Along the defensive line primarily and almost exclusively on the edges, and we need some improved personnel in the secondary.  Some of that may include switching a guy like Blackmon over to SS and bringing in a more cerebral heady rangy Malik Hooker type guy(without all the darn injuries).  I think Rock is fine as the #2 corner and I like the progress Rogers is making. We need a #1 corner to replace Xavier Rhodes.   Getting back to the D line I'm sure increasing the blitz percentage would help, but overall I just think we need to add another game wrecker to the mix.  Ballard took some of the bite out of the defense when he got rid of Autry and Houston.  I like where Paye is headed, I'm not quite sure on Dayo but as of right now I still say he's better on the interior.  I do think it's possible he could grow into an Autry type player after being refined and working on his rush moves.  But as of right now I think we need to add one more veteran player who can bring the type of production Autry brought or better.  Rochell wasn't it and I'm sure he won't be back unless there is something contract wise I'm missing.  I'm cool with bringing Lewis back but I still see him as more of a rotational player.  We need one one more impact player to be added to the mix. 

I voted yes. I think Eberflus is a good coach. But it's obvious that his scheme doesn't hold up against sharp QBing. I want someone who will play more man coverage on crucial downs, and who will be less conservative with blitzing. I don't believe Eberflus is willing to make those adjustments.

Doesn't mean I dislike him or his general scheme, and it doesn't mean I don't think he can be a good coach. His demeanor, the way he holds players accountable (like loafs), his goal setting (turnovers, sacks), are all good traits even for a head coach. We could also do a lot worse than him.

But I'm ready to see a fresh approach to the defensive side of the ball. I found it somewhat encouraging that Ballard mentioned playing more man and match coverage in his presser, and said that's something he and Eberflus have discussed and will continue to consider. So if he does come back (and it looks like he will; Jags are hiring Leftwich, and the Bears just hired a GM who will likely reset their HC search), I'm hopeful that some adjustments will be made. But I'll believe it when I see it, not just for a possession here or there, but for the entire season.

All I know is our pass defense was often poor.  Is it coaching, personnel, or a combination?  IDK because I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what the proportions of "blame" are.  This feels like it could be one of those "Be cafeful what you wish for..." situations.

16 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

This is how I feel.  If he's back great, if not I think the D will still be similar honestly.  Unless they change the entire system, even in that case who knows if it would be better or worse.    

That's not true. Game planning and situational playcalling are huge. A different DC could run the same scheme but do a better job of those 2 areas and make a huge improvement in the defense. 

Case in point, Ron Meeks, Larry Coyer, Lovie Smith, lezlie Frazier, Monte kiffin and rod marinelli all ran a version of the Tampa 2/cover 2 but kiffin, marinelli and I believe also Frazier are far more aggressive in terms of situational playcalling than the others. 

I personally am undecided. I don't think he's been given the talent to execute the defense Ballard and Eberflus want us to play. I don't love the scheme either... but again - I am not sure anything changes with Eberflus losing his job, in case Ballard goes and hires another coach to coach the same system. 

We can probably do better than Eberflus with so many good defensive coaches on the market right now, but again I don't know if we would even pursue the best of them if their philosophy is not similar to Ballard's. 

9 hours ago, DougDew said:

Which is why he's getting second interviews around the NFL, obviously.

He's utilized AQM, Stallworth, Paye, Oke, Willis, and a gimpy Rhodes this year as well as any DC would have.  I'd bet that each one of those players were in for over 60% of the snaps ....Stallworth maybe not....as long as injury didn't force their even less talented backups into the lineup.   

I’m not saying he was bad at using it. I’m just saying that given the history of DL leaving Indy and OUTPERFORMING with their new team vs when they were a Colt tells me that they were getting maximized here. 

6 hours ago, J@son said:

That's not true. Game planning and situational playcalling are huge. A different DC could run the same scheme but do a better job of those 2 areas and make a huge improvement in the defense. 

Case in point, Ron Meeks, Larry Coyer, Lovie Smith, lezlie Frazier, Monte kiffin and rod marinelli all ran a version of the Tampa 2/cover 2 but kiffin, marinelli and I believe also Frazier are far more aggressive in terms of situational playcalling than the others. 

That would be great if they could change DC's and magically start dominating but I'm not overly optimistic with the current state of the Colts in general. 

On the who Flus topic, beginning to feel like Quinn is going to get the job in Chicago, and Leftwich is going to get the Jags job.

I think the Jags need to go with an offensive HC that will put some focus on Lawrence. And Quinn's resume is simply better than Flus's. Polian might be the difference though for Flus.

This is definitely a "careful what you wish for" situation. The Colts D was terrible for so many years, its finally been respectable with Flus and it seems fo many its not good enough. I read some of the comments about how we can improve and be better, well it could go the other way with someone new as well, we could be trash again.

This reeks of the Lions with Jim Caldwell. Brought him in, Got them to 8 or 9 wins whatever it was, Wasn't really great, but it was better than they were in a long time. Wasn't good enough though, canned him and they have been bottom feeders again ever since.

7 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

This is definitely a "careful what you wish for" situation. The Colts D was terrible for so many years, its finally been respectable with Flus and it seems fo many its not good enough. I read some of the comments about how we can improve and be better, well it could go the other way with someone new as well, we could be trash again.

This reeks of the Lions with Jim Caldwell. Brought him in, Got them to 8 or 9 wins whatever it was, Wasn't really great, but it was better than they were in a long time. Wasn't good enough though, canned him and they have been bottom feeders again ever since.

The defense is NOT good enough. The question is whether Eberflus is part of the problem, or part of the potential solution. 

It bugs me to see average/above average QBs completing 70% of their passes against us with little resistance for entire games, time and again. I think that's a situation that calls for variations in coverage and pressure packages, but we're very conservative with those variations. It seems like a decision by the defensive play caller, especially since our HC is offensive minded. 

You're right, it could easily be worse. I don't think that's a good reason not to consider ways to make it better.

• Shive locked this topic

Archived