Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you want Eberflus gone?

ChuggaBeer

Do you want Eberflus to take a HCing job?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Eberflus to take a HCing job?

We have had a top 15 defense and have been one of the best teams at forcing turnovers since he has been the coordinator. I dont understand why he gets so much hate. If he was so bad he wouldn't be getting head coaching interviews lol. We have however had a tremendously bad 4th quarter defense.

Not sure if thats scheme, him not adjusting, players not finishing, or if it an all around culture thing with Reich. I tend to lean on it being a culture thing and the team not being able to finish. Seems to be a theme under Franks tenure. Slow starts, slow finishes. blown leads. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm not sure how much of our conservative play (on the DL and secondary) is Flus, and how much if Frank.

So I'd like to see how we do with a different DC. If we stay the same, that means leadership (Reich) is likely pushing conservative scheme.... 

All I know, is we blitz and stunt at a low rate.... And we give up a ton of cushion. And we had 3 FAs leave last year that went on to have great years somewhere else in other schemes..... 

Aside from turnovers, our D was just not great.

Don't forget to cast your vote 

Just now, ChuggaBeer said:

Don't forget to cast your vote 

I'm pretty indifferent. 

I wouldn't say I want him gone (I'm not sure he's to blame), but I won't shed a tear if he leaves.

So there's really no "indifferent" or "not sure" option. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, EastStreet said:

I'm pretty indifferent. 

I wouldn't say I want him gone (I'm not sure he's to blame), but I won't shed a tear if he leaves.

Crap.  I cant edit either.    

• Like 1

Key passing defense metrics in a passing league is what has held back our success against good QBs. The game against Trevor Lawrence was the lower end of the roller coaster with Flus for me.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm pretty indifferent. 

This is how I feel.  If he's back great, if not I think the D will still be similar honestly.  Unless they change the entire system, even in that case who knows if it would be better or worse.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two things annoy me with Eberflus that make me want to get rid of him.

1.) He allows high completion % Vs average QBs or better. Gardner Minshew dominated us in 2020, and Trevor Lawrence was struggling all year and had his best game Vs us when we were playing to make the playoffs and they were a two-win team with the worst record in the league.

2.) He is WAY too conservative with the pass-rush. We get no pressure on the QB, which is a big reason we get burned in the pass game. There is no reason to not blitz more, as we get decent pressure without being aggressive, and we just drafted Paye and Dayo. The lack of aggressiveness has cost us a few games. The CBs can't defend forever.

So yes, I hope Eberflus gets a HC job elsewhere, preferrably Jacksonville.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

This is how I feel.  If he's back great, if not I think the D will still be similar honestly.  Unless they change the entire system, even in that case who knows if it would be better or worse.    

My gut says that Reich influences the conservative nature of our defense.

Won't ever know for sure, unless Flus goes somewhere else as HC and does the same or different. 

So my curiosity prefers he leave I guess lol... 

• Thanks 1

He may very well be a good head coach. But as a DC I haven't been a fan of the situational and conservative playcalling. This defense was bailed out a lot by the turnovers generated. Otherwise there were a lot of large missteps that both costed us games and nearly costed us games. The massive leads given up in games such as the Ravens, Titans, the absolute demolishing of the defense that nearly let the Jets back in the game (to their 3rd string quarterback? really?) are pretty unacceptable. I had 0 confidence that any lead built would be maintained due to the consistent late game collapses. So I'd be interested to see what a different DC would do with this defense - I don't want to see any more defensive playcalling reminiscent of the Bills with 13s left on the clock.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

His scheme gives up too many yards, teams drive down the field at will and we have to hope and pray for turnovers ( We lead the league in turnovers produced and still missed playoffs). Time for a change.....

The  Jags  game sealed   it for me. He sat back and let a struggling rookie carve him up. Enuff said.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No i dont want him gone.  I want a much improved pass rush and better personnel in the secondary so we can play more of that sticky man to man and other coverages we talk about. Ballard cant leave this offseason and draft without making sure we are much improved in both areas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Damn Flus is getting killed LOL 

People here would be happy to go to Flus’s home, help him pack, and drive him to the airport.   The vast majority want him gone.   

True story:   After Pagano’s last year, 2017,  people here not only hated Pagano, they hated his staff as well.   Almost all of them got jobs elsewhere.   Good jobs.   And someone noticed that once the 2018 season fit under way.   People here were stunned.  They were convinced that Pagano sucked and so did his staff.   Once people here start thinking a certain way it’s often very hard to move the needle and change minds.  

• Like 2

Well this is the NFl and players have to play the game. The perfect plays could be called and drawn up but if not executed on the field what does it matter. Either way if hes gone it could get better or could get worse thats the great thing about the NFL you never know until the game is played. 

That being said we all have seen the defense seem to get conservative and the lack of creativity and working to players strengths . We have also seen that we have some good players on d but other then DL, and a couple others its nothing to brag too much about but we do know we have good depth. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

My gut says that Reich influences the conservative nature of our defense.

Won't ever know for sure, unless Flus goes somewhere else as HC and does the same or different. 

So my curiosity prefers he leave I guess lol... 

Damn if thats true we really screw ourselves by keeping wrong guy and not only that we sign up a QB by giving up for 1st because of him and also let go of good OC to be HC for other team that made to playoff. This could really set us back and could put Ballard in hot seat as well 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, coltsfan_canada said:

Damn if thats true we really ourselves by keeping wrong guy and not only that we sign up a QB by giving up for 1st because of him and also let go of good OC to be HC for other team that made to playoff. This could really set us back and could put Ballard in hot seat as well 

You think Ballard is under fire because Sirianni left for a promotion to head coach?   As if we were going to keep him and fire Reich?!?    That’s a spectacularly bizarre argument.  

24 minutes ago, coltsfan_canada said:

Damn if thats true we really screw ourselves by keeping wrong guy and not only that we sign up a QB by giving up for 1st because of him and also let go of good OC to be HC for other team that made to playoff. This could really set us back and could put Ballard in hot seat as well 

It's just a topic that's hard prove or disprove, without seeing the same person in another place, and in more control. 

Dallas (where Flus came from) was not under Flus's control. He was the LB coach. You'd have to go back to 2008 when Flus was the DC at Missouri, to really try and glean scheme.... but that's 14 years ago, so not the best thing to do... Missouri was pretty bad at pass D in Flus's last year though... 

Just comes down to how much the HC or GM, etc., influences scheme. When Flus came, he did some interviews on scheme, which I took as we'd be more aggressive than we've been. But who knows. If he goes to Jax or Chicago, and they blitz at 25% (league median) or higher, instead of the low % we've been blitzing, I think it's fair to assume Flus was influenced. If he's 20% or lower, then we can assume he was probably pushing conservative play. Same with cushion.. 

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It's just a topic that's hard prove or disprove, without seeing the same person in another place, and in more control. 

Dallas (where Flus came from) was not under Flus's control. He was the LB coach. You'd have to go back to 2008 when Flus was the DC at Missouri, to really try and glean scheme.... but that's 14 years ago, so not the best thing to do... Missouri was pretty bad at pass D in Flus's last year though... 

Just comes down to how much the HC or GM, etc., influences scheme. When Flus came, he did some interviews on scheme, which I took as we'd be more aggressive than we've been. But who knows. If he goes to Jax or Chicago, and they blitz at 25% (league median) or higher, instead of the low % we've been blitzing, I think it's fair to assume Flus was influenced. If he's 20% or lower, then we can assume he was probably pushing conservative play. Same with cushion.. 

I know the other poster thinks I meant Ballard is on hot seat because of Nick however I wonder who really push these conservative play HC or DC for defense. 

I remember pagano era we had DC cant recall his name he used to wear glasses on his nose he used to Blitz a lot and I thought last season the game we blitzed more we had good success but I wonder why we did not do more often who decide that? HC or DC and if its HC isn't the root of our problem is HC because not only he is calling conservative play on D but O as well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, coltsfan_canada said:

I know the other poster thinks I meant Ballard is on hot seat because of Nick however I wonder who really push these conservative play HC or DC for defense. 

I remember pagano era we had DC cant recall his name he used to wear glasses on his nose he used to Blitz a lot and I thought last season the game we blitzed more we had good success but I wonder why we did not do more often who decide that? HC or DC and if its HC isn't the root of our problem is HC because not only he is calling conservative play on D but O as well.

Monachino was the DC for Pagano, but Pagano being a D guy, I'm sure had heavy influence. Monachino IIRC, has followed Pagano around and had various titles. 

This year, we blitzed a bit more towards the end of the season. We blitzed a ton one game, I think perhaps Houston, but not sure. Seemed weird we'd blitz so much there, and not against others.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Monachino was the DC for Pagano, but Pagano being a D guy, I'm sure had heavy influence. Monachino IIRC, has followed Pagano around and had various titles. 

This year, we blitzed a bit more towards the end of the season. We blitzed a ton one game, I think perhaps Houston, but not sure. Seemed weird we'd blitz so much there, and not against others.

Thats him

Exactly i thought it was either Hou or Pats did not recall but again it looks so strange these guys are professionals and years of experience and as a fans we are no where close to their level yet we can see the difference and I am surprised why changing in the middle of the game or half is so hard to adjust for coaches. Unless during preparation they assign such plays and game plan and does not matter what flow game goes they probably stick to it. It is just so strange I for sure have no idea how it works? or who makes calls or changes etc or behind curtains what happens for real lol. 

10 minutes ago, coltsfan_canada said:

Thats him

Exactly i thought it was either Hou or Pats did not recall but again it looks so strange these guys are professionals and years of experience and as a fans we are no where close to their level yet we can see the difference and I am surprised why changing in the middle of the game or half is so hard to adjust for coaches. Unless during preparation they assign such plays and game plan and does not matter what flow game goes they probably stick to it. It is just so strange I for sure have no idea how it works? or who makes calls or changes etc or behind curtains what happens for real lol. 

I think overall, some get overly tied to scheme, or overly tied tendencies within scheme. As far as 4-3 or 3-4 is concerned, I don't really care. I just don't like the lack of blitzing and stunting. Feels like we keep doing the same thing, and expecting a different outcome. Just give me more blitzing and stunting, and I'll be happy.... 

As far as coverages go, while we play C3 a decent amount, I think we vary way too much. And I don't like all the quarters (Cover 4, more or less prevent D) on 3rd down. Then add in all the cushion we allow, or the man/zone within the Cs. 

And within all that, seems like we don't augment scheme and play calling, for individual strength and weakness. Too much force fitting of players. And regardless, without pressure, things are compounded. At the same time, giving up a ton of cushion and allowing quick passes, doesn't help the DL get pressures either.. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

We have had a top 15 defense and have been one of the best teams at forcing turnovers since he has been the coordinator. I dont understand why he gets so much hate. If he was so bad he wouldn't be getting head coaching interviews lol. We have however had a tremendously bad 4th quarter defense.

Not sure if thats scheme, him not adjusting, players not finishing, or if it an all around culture thing with Reich. I tend to lean on it being a culture thing and the team not being able to finish. Seems to be a theme under Franks tenure. Slow starts, slow finishes. blown leads. 

Half those turnovers are Leonard's from pure will, has nothing to do with scheme... Eberflus has scheme to limit points not yards... and we don't have a QB to put up points. Time for some adjusents...

6 hours ago, krunk said:

No i dont want him gone.  I want a much improved pass rush and better personnel in the secondary so we can play more of that sticky man to man and other coverages we talk about. Ballard cant leave this offseason and draft without making sure we are much improved in both areas.

Truth is we need a player on every level across the board. We need secondary help, we need DL help, and we need a real Mike. Oke ain't built for it... coaching is part of it. We are vanilla on both sides of the ball too often... he'll we ne OL and Rec help on offense... the Wentz signing was a two year set back...it hurts...

8 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Two things annoy me with Eberflus that make me want to get rid of him.

1.) He allows high completion % Vs average QBs or better. Gardner Minshew dominated us in 2020, and Trevor Lawrence was struggling all year and had his best game Vs us when we were playing to make the playoffs and they were a two-win team with the worst record in the league.

2.) He is WAY too conservative with the pass-rush. We get no pressure on the QB, which is a big reason we get burned in the pass game. There is no reason to not blitz more, as we get decent pressure without being aggressive, and we just drafted Paye and Dayo. The lack of aggressiveness has cost us a few games. The CBs can't defend forever.

So yes, I hope Eberflus gets a HC job elsewhere, preferrably Jacksonville.

I agree but I'm afraid Ballard and Frank are too chickenpoo to make adjustments to tweak our D. They will bring in a cover 3 guy or promote from with in. Ballard will say we brought DeFo in for 3tech and it's going to stay its coarse...honestly if we change D style it will take two season fto build that personnel... we are in a rebuild and keeping everything the same means we could clean house next year if nothing changes. I personally like Ballard and wish we went with all new coaching...We are looking at a 8-9 season coming up. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

He’s not terrible and he’s gonna be tough to upgrade from, but it needs to be done. Too many DL guys have gone on to other teams AND had their STATS and performance increases substantially.

I don’t think he’s a bad coach, I think he’s a good guy. I just have seen enough 4 quarter leads blown, enough making no name QBs have career days, and enough of our DBs giving 10 yards cushions to WRs in a very loose zone. Flus’s zone is looser than a hooker in Las Vegas 

• Thanks 1

The defense is great at getting Turnovers, and that is awesome.

I just feel like the Turnovers are more because of the players, not because of the scheme. 

Just going off memory, Rodgers a spectacular INT, Moore reads the QB's eyes and had some good INTs, and Leonard....well the him punching out the ball is amazing to say the least. 

My problem is the constant prevent defense, and the constant 13 yard cushions on 3rd and 9 that drive me insane. The defense lets mundane QB's look amazing consistently. They'll have a great scheme in the first half, get the lead, and then welp, better let the other team score at will in the 2nd half. It's maddening to watch. 

I do think alot of it is due to lack of pressure. I know you can't blitz all the time, but dang dude, get creative!  They used to send Moore on a corner blitz (dude was amazing at that) or have spy Leonard and send him. The front 4 (outside of Buckner) are simply not getting it done. Even Buckner eating up double teams, the other 3 aren't consistently getting home and that is just sad to say the least. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saw a stat that showed that although the Colts blitz less, the players that blitz have a terrible success rate.  Notably Leonard and Oke.

Flus is fine if he had even average pass rushing talent on defense to work with.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I saw a stat that showed that although the Colts blitz less, the players that blitz have a terrible success rate.  Notably Leonard and Oke.

Flus is fine if he had even average pass rushing talent on defense to work with.

He’s had the talent. He’s just not utilized it well

• Shive locked this topic