Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I do a lot of lists but if Pat Mahomes wins the SB this year does he deserve top 5 of all-time convo?

2006Coltsbestever

I went back and read at all the posts closely, I never once said Mahomes was a top 5 QB of all-time. I just posed the question if he wins the SB would he be in the convo = huge difference.

My Top 5 has been since Tom beat Atlanta in the SB to get #5:

1. Tom Brady

2. Joe Montana

3. Peyton Manning

4. Johnny Unitas

5. John Elway

-that is since 2016. I have posted that at least 10 times on other threads over the last 5 years.

I have never had Aaron Rodgers in my top 5 either but I have posed the same question with him in the past, regarding getting #2.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I went back and read at all the posts closely, I never once said Mahomes was a top 5 QB of all-time. I just posed the question if he wins the SB would he be in the convo = huge difference.

My Top 5 has been since Tom beat Atlanta in the SB to get #5:

1. Tom Brady

2. Joe Montana

3. Peyton Manning

4. Johnny Unitas

5. John Elway

-that is since 2016. I have posted that at least 10 times on other threads over the last 5 years.

I have never had Aaron Rodgers in my top 5 either but I have posed the same question with him in the past, regarding getting #2.

Stephen A Smith like most agrees with my top 3, he just did his list. He did mention John Elway. He had Mahomes 4 and Rodgers 5. Irvin disagreed with 4 and 5 and so do I. Elway was better than both Mahomes and Rodgers + Unitas has to be top 5. He played 50 years ago but still??

On 2/1/2022 at 9:51 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Stephen A Smith like most agrees with my top 3, he just did his list. He did mention John Elway. He had Mahomes 4 and Rodgers 5. Irvin disagreed with 4 and 5 and so do I. Elway was better than both Mahomes and Rodgers + Unitas has to be top 5. He played 50 years ago but still??

But still...Terry Bradshaw was best.

Aaron Rodgers is in the top 2.

20 hours ago, waterdog said:

But still...Terry Bradshaw was best.

Aaron Rodgers is in the top 2.

This why opinions are great but Bradshaw won because of his defense and Swann making 2 of the most unbelievable catches in SB history = 1 in 75, the other in 78. and his stats were average throughout his career. To his credit though he didn't do anything to blow the SB. Like Aikman basically who also had Smith + a great D. Rodgers at #2, nah, talent wise yes but he doesn't have the resume, JMO. 

41 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This why opinions are great but Bradshaw won because of his defense and Swann making 2 of the most unbelievable catches in SB history = 1 in 75, the other in 78. and his stats were average throughout his career. To his credit though he didn't do anything to blow the SB. Like Aikman basically who also had Smith + a great D. Rodgers at #2, nah, talent wise yes but he doesn't have the resume, JMO. 

The trouble with the resume theory is: every QB's resume depends on 44 other players.

For example(s)

1. Brady won last year, but threw 3 'photogenic' INTs in Green Bay, and then made some decent plays, at home, while watching Mahomes run for his life on every attempt.

2.Remove Reggie Bush(there's a forgotten man) and Drew Brees has ZERO SB wins.

3. Rodgers didn't look top 2 two weeks ago, but did you notice the conditions?

Conditions like that lower every player's level down...to way below average.

Check out the Steelers' final drive vs. Cowboys in SB 10. On 3rd and 10 with ~ 3 minutes left, Bradshaw throws a 75 yeard dime, 65 of those yards in the air, to Stalworth.

Maybe Herbert threw a ball as good, or better this year, and I think Rodgers has.

But Bradshaw didn't have 'modern' penalties, protecting his health.

He was carried to the sidelines after that 4th 1/4 pass to Stalworth.

And he took a dead last team, and elevated them all the way to the top.

For me, Bradshaw was easily the 'most memorable'.

6 minutes ago, waterdog said:

The trouble with the resume theory is: every QB's resume depends on 44 other players.

For example(s)

1. Brady won last year, but threw 3 'photogenic' INTs in Green Bay, and then made some decent plays, at home, while watching Mahomes run for his life on every attempt.

2.Remove Reggie Bush(there's a forgotten man) and Drew Brees has ZERO SB wins.

3. Rodgers didn't look top 2 two weeks ago, but did you notice the conditions?

Conditions like that lower every player's level down...to way below average.

Check out the Steelers' final drive vs. Cowboys in SB 10. On 3rd and 10 with ~ 3 minutes left, Bradshaw throws a 75 yeard dime, 65 of those yards in the air, to Stalworth.

Maybe Herbert threw a ball as good, or better this year, and I think Rodgers has.

But Bradshaw didn't have 'modern' penalties, protecting his health.

He was carried to the sidelines after that 4th 1/4 pass to Stalworth.

And he took a dead last team, and elevated them all the way to the top.

For me, Bradshaw was easily the 'most memorable'.

Bradshaw was great, he won when it counted so I can't take that away from him. He made some crucial plays when it counted, something we need here now. Rodgers is in my Top 10 easily, what happened vs the 49ers still shocks me. I thought he would get #2 SB win this year. I picked them to win it all before the season.

37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bradshaw was great, he won when it counted so I can't take that away from him. He made some crucial plays when it counted, something we need here now. Rodgers is in my Top 10 easily, what happened vs the 49ers still shocks me. I thought he would get #2 SB win this year. I picked them to win it all before the season.

Correction: I re-watched...that pass was to Lyn Swan(#88).

It was launched from the 28, under heavy pressure, and Swan grabbed it at the 5, so it looked like 67 yards througn the air...and I don't know the wind direction, nor humidity...that evening in Miami.

Also, remembering Aaron Rodgers' one and only SB win, I've never seen more passes dropped, and viewers in Italy, for example, could have wondered if dropping the ball was the key to winning. Big Ben had 4 down territory to get the win, but was stopped.

If Rodgers had the Colts 2021 receivers that evening he would have thrown at least a dozen TD passes.

I think that was the game that Woodson left at halftime, and Greg Jennings(think he played piano, too) was out, injured...

There are now many new QB threats and, of course I hope they all get paid billions of dollars each.

1 minute ago, waterdog said:

Correction: I re-watched...that pass was to Lyn Swan(#88).

It was launched from the 28, under heavy pressure, and Swan grabbed it at the 5, so it looked like 67 yards througn the air...and I don't know the wind direction, nor humidity...that evening in Miami.

Also, remembering Aaron Rodgers' one and only SB win, I've never seen more passes dropped, and viewers in Italy, for example, could have wondered if dropping the ball was the key to winning. Big Ben had 4 down territory to get the win, but was stopped.

If Rodgers had the Colts 2021 receivers that evening he would have thrown at least a dozen TD passes.

I think that was the game that Woodson left at halftime, and Greg Jennings(think he played piano, too) was out, injured...

There are now many new QB threats and, of course I hope they all get paid billions of dollars each.

The dime Bradshaw through to Stallworth was against the Rams in 1979/80 SB, it was beautiful. The 2 catches Swann made, one in 75 and in 78 were so unreal. Bradshaw is arguably a top 10 QB of all-time. I would have no problem with putting him around there. I just think that Steelers was so loaded that all he needed to do was not screw it up, like Troy in Dallas. QB's that don't mess it up are the best to have sometimes though but you need a great defense to go with it :thmup:. When Peyton won #2, Denver had a great D and Peyton played well enough and didn't screw it up.

On 1/24/2022 at 11:01 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My list is:

1. Tom Brady

2. Joe Montana

3. Peyton Manning

4. Johnny Unitas

5. John Elway

All 5 of those guys have won at least 2 SB's and at least 1 MVP (Unitas won 1 SB but 2 NFL Championships - same difference), Peyton won 5 MVP's for the most. If Mahomes wins the SB this year it will be his 2nd SB win and he still in his prime and he does have an MVP.

I generally agree with your list. Not sure with number 1 and 2 though. I know Brady has won a bajillion Super Bowls, but he has cheated and played in an era where defenses couldn’t touch him. Montana played in the era of the ‘85 Bears…

Food for thought.

I think to be worthy of being mentioned in the top 5 a QB has to have performed at a consistently high level for an entire career, which also means they can’t truly be ranked until they have retired IN MY OPINION. Mahomes isn’t anywhere near the top 5, yet, in my book.

Archived