Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on the epic match between Chiefs and Bills.

Thunderbolt

5 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

That game was insanity at it's finest!

I feel the same as Josh Allen (poor guy) I thought they had that one in the bag.

I really wanted the Bill to win that one. Chefs fans are obnoxious. 

Yeah, Patriots fans got obnoxious once they started winning AFC titles and SBs. If Colts fans won more SBs under Peyton, we’d have been obnoxious too but Peyton underachieved in the playoffs enough times for us not to get too high :) 

Now it’s the Chiefs fans and Mahomes turn. Just the way it goes with fans of winning teams.

7 hours ago, runthepost said:

Big thoughts from the game. 

1. We are not winning with Wentz at QB

2. We need some WRs and a TE

With Russ we could, because we have Taylor and a D that creates Turnovers. The Bills/Chiefs game was one of the best games in a long time. Bills D was a huge let down, I mean the great Patrick Mahomes had 13 seconds and still got it done. 

I have talked to a couple of people and they said they wouldn't do anything differently. I wouldn't of either. Hindsight is easy to say do a squib kick to take off a few more seconds but in reality nobody was thinking that lmao . If your D can't hold a QB for 13 seconds to get into FG range for their own 25 than that is on the D. Josh Allen played perfect and their coaching was great, but Patrick Mahomes is that great, give that guy 1 second and something crazy may happen?? Mahomes is so great, that is why I posted if he wins a 2nd SB should he sniff the top 5 convo of all-time?

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have talked to a couple of people and they said they wouldn't do anything differently. I wouldn't of either. Hindsight is easy to say do a squib kick to take off a few more seconds but in reality nobody was thinking that lmao . If your D can't hold a QB for 13 seconds to get into FG range for their own 25 than that is on the D. Josh Allen played perfect and their coaching was great, but Patrick Mahomes is that great, give that guy 1 second and something crazy may happen?? Mahomes is so great, that is why I posted if he wins a 2nd SB should he sniff the top 5 convo of all-time?

Why can’t you just hold the receiver from a free release. I mean at worst a 5 yard penalty! 

3 hours ago, Hoose said:

I thought Romo was right about the play that set up the game tying FG. Rush two and drop an additional two back to flood the middle of the field. Mahomes’ only chance with that little time was to hit a quick pass over the middle. I would have chucked Kelsey at the line as well. Take him out of the play. After taking a time out to set up the D for what should have been the final play, they ran their standard prevent defense. That was a head scratcher. 

Agree 100%. Whatever they were doing as a coverage shell was more designed to protect against a deep TD, rather than yards to set up a potential game tying FG.

Considering KC had all three timeouts left and therefore had the whole field available, the Bills coaching staff should not have given up the underneath stuff so easily especially when some of these cushions were nearly 15-20 yards off the line of scrimmage at the time of the catch by KC receivers.

That situation should serve as  a teaching point for all DCs on what to do/what not to do going forward.

I also agree with another poster in this thread that some of these end game situation defensive philosophies/schemes are out dated thoughts that do not take into account the abilities of some of the elite QBs, efficiency of some these elite offenses.

2 hours ago, IndySouthsider said:

Why can’t you just hold the receiver from a free release. I mean at worst a 5 yard penalty! 

Chip Kelly, as much as he was not a success in the NFL, he did that at the end of the half vs Brees. 15 seconds to go, 3 holding penalties where his Eagles CBs tackled Brees' receivers. Brees was already in FG range, Chip did not want him scoring a TD, even with his timeouts. Saints settled for a FG before the half.

Someday, someone is going to abuse it and they are going to change defensive holding within the last 30 seconds to a personal foul, it is coming, just have to wait for it to happen. :) 

It was an insane game that topped off a pretty amazing weekend of football to watch. I thought the Bucs-Rams finish would be the highlight of the divisional round until the last few minutes of Chiefs-Bills. 

After a total snoozefest for the WC round, it was great to see some close, exciting games. 

2 hours ago, GoPats said:

It was an insane game that topped off a pretty amazing weekend of football to watch. I thought the Bucs-Rams finish would be the highlight of the divisional round until the last few minutes of Chiefs-Bills. 

After a total snoozefest for the WC round, it was great to see some close, exciting games. 

I agree!   Wildcard round was awful.

This weekend was great, and last night's game was the best!

6 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I congratulated my friend who is a bills fan and he responded that there was still 13 seconds left.   I jinxed it and felt bad for him.

Oh no. I remember when the Pats played the Falcons in the SB a few years ago.  My younger sister, who does not like Brady, wrote on social media that Brady was going to lose and she noted the score. I remember telling her not to jinx the Falcons, as there was so much time left in the game. 

Well, we know how that went. 

I was rooting for the Bills and felt terrible for them last night. They have a young team and they will be a force next year. 

On 1/24/2022 at 9:02 PM, NFLfan said:

This is good stuff from Dan Orlovsky

Actually, Dan Orlovsky is wrong. He says that was not the planned route.

Mahomes occupies Milano for first head fake, Kelce cheats to the outside for second fake, Mahomes pump fakes for third fake to buy Kelce time to go down further the seam and THEN releases it all in 5 seconds from 8 seconds to 3 seconds remaining before timeout was taken. Mahomes and Kelce knew all along they were running that seam route pass.

How do I know it was a planned route? Here, watch this clip from NFL Films, Kelce orchestrated both those 2 last offensive plays like an OC:

It was a epic match But also a defensive meltdown of mass proportions, which is often the case in memorable, instant classics.

But it also reinforces my belief (and others)that there really isn't such a thing as Dominant Defenses in today's game... certainly not on a constant basis like all season or for multiple years. I believe I heard the Bills defense was statistically rated #1, at least in some important categories. Yet the pats beat them throwing like 1 pass and they couldn't stop the run..... and the colts ran it down their throats too. There will always be teams that rank high statistically but that doesn't mean they are a great unit. Both teams D played poorly in the 4th qtr., when it matters most, but the Bills D & coaching played more poorly than the chiefs.... It still of course was a great, entertaining game.

On 1/24/2022 at 1:20 AM, Nesjan3 said:

- I will never fully understand how in 2022 overtime is basically being decided upon a coin toss still. Especially when neither offense can be stopped.

Yeah, in any sport, there will be second-guessing after a loss.  In basketball- "shoulda pounded the ball inside more", in baseball- "shoulda pulled the starting pitcher sooner", but only in the NFL can you say "shoulda called heads."

On 1/24/2022 at 1:02 PM, Fluke_33 said:

I congratulated my friend who is a bills fan and he responded that there was still 13 seconds left.   I jinxed it and felt bad for him.

I can't think of a team that has had such bad luck, here is a short list for in Bills classic failures:

3. What happened last week :banana:

2. Music City Miracle (1999 Divisional Round)

1. Then we have Norwood missing a 47 yard FG to win the SB (1990/91) when they had the better team. I mean this guy is even laughing = Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV

Archived