Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on the epic match between Chiefs and Bills.

Thunderbolt

3 things

- one of the best games ive ever seen

- I will never fully understand how in 2022 overtime is basically being decided upon a coin toss still. Especially when neither offense can be stopped.

- I also will never fully understand why D coordinators decide to completely change what they are doing in the final seconds of the game and just go into super shell to not allow a touchdown but lets just let them complete 10 yard passes all the way down the field uncontested. An archaic philosophy thats been passed down IMO.

52 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

3 things

- I will never fully understand how in 2022 overtime is basically being decided upon a coin toss still. Especially when neither offense can be stopped.

- I also will never fully understand why D coordinators decide to completely change what they are doing in the final seconds of the game and just go into super shell to not allow a touchdown but lets just let them complete 10 yard passes all the way down the field uncontested. An archaic philosophy thats been passed down IMO.

Yea Agree   My wife. who is a BIG FAN also knows football very well.  Mentioned how she hates it which I agree 

But I see the reasoning behind making the game shorter for the players

But man.  Wouldn't that have been great with a CFB overtime rules??????

90-86 HA

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Man I was up all day due to working last night so I fell asleep at halftime haha . I missed the 2nd half. I just seen KC won and how they did it. Bills will be the Bills I guess. Mahomes is like Brady, Peyton, Montana, he doesn't jack around. You give him any kind of chance it is over!

Please dont ask.   Just watch the replay.      OMG.  you need to watch this game 

I just youtube'd the last 5 minutes of the game. I feel so bad for Buffalo fans. What more could Allen do? He only left 13 seconds on the clock for Mahomes. Man what an epic ending, then KC got the coin toss in OT. It was over after that. If I was a Buffalo fan I would just do this Jump Jumping GIF- you give Mahomes any kind of life and he will just kill you. I think eventually he will end up like a Brady, Peyton, and Montana. He could win his 2nd SB this year. GB is out of it, they have to be favored.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just youtube'd the last 5 minutes of the game. I feel so bad for Buffalo fans. What more could Allen do? He only left 13 seconds on the clock for Mahomes. Man what an epic ending, then KC got the coin toss in OT. It was over after that. If I was a Buffalo fan I would just do this Jump Jumping GIF- you give Mahomes any kind of life and he will just kill you. I think eventually he will end up like a Brady, Peyton, and Montana. He could win his 2nd SB this year. GB is out of it, they have to be favored.

Mahomes earned that contract tonight.   

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would love to see Cincy pull the upset off but I don't see anyone beating Mahomes.

Wouldn't it be cool to see a 3 way battle for the top QB in the NFL between Mahomes Allen and Burrow for a while?

I'm a huge Colts fan but man I love to see those battles 

4 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Wouldn't it be cool to see a 3 way battle for the top QB in the NFL between Mahomes Allen and Burrow for a while?

I'm a huge Colts fan but man I love to wee those battles 

Hard to top Brady vs Peyton but Allen vs Mahomes is great. Burrow is the real deal too. I just love football like you. We had our time at least with Peyton (won a SB) and even with Luck, I hope we can get better but I respect other talents. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Hard to top Brady vs Peyton but Allen vs Mahomes is great. Burrow is the real deal too. I just love football like you. We had our time at least with Peyton (won a SB) and even with Luck, I hope we can bet better but I respect other talents. 

Yep I agree. I love football   That three-way battle is going to be fun to watch for yrs to come   Hoping the Colts find a fourth to compete with them.

If I had my pick   Id take Allen.   I love that kid.   

1 minute ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Yep I agree. I love football   That three-way battle is going to be fun to watch for yrs to come   Hoping the Colts find a fourth to compete with them.

If I had my pick   Id take Allen.   I love that kid.   

Man if i was in Allen's shoes I would be so mad, he played a perfect game on the road in a hostile place against arguably a top 10 QB of all-time. I remember when Magic lost to Larry in 1984 (basketball), Magic said he didn't leave the house for a month he was so upset. He got his redemption but losses like this are tough. I was glad Peyton had to go through Brady to get his SB win here, it was fitting and skunked the demons.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Man if i was in Allen's shoes I would be so mad, he played a perfect game on the road in a hostile place against arguably a top 10 QB of all-time. I remember when Magic lost to Larry in 1984 (basketball), Magic said he didn't leave the house for a month he was so upset. He got his redemption but losses like this are tough. I was glad Peyton had to go through Brady to get his SB win here, it was fitting and skunked the demons.

God I hope Wentz gets his head out of his * 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was on the Wentz bandwagon after saying I hated the trade. We were 9-6 right there and red hot. What happened in the last 2 weeks has me going Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I agree buddy.   But I have learned not to write someone off too soon.    aI think/hope the mental dept kicks in in 2022 

IMO he has ALL the talent and just needs the brains.    ( sums up all my remarks about Rivers) If Wentz can figure out the mental.   He is in the top 4 in the AFC 

3 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

3 things

So much this....

The OT rules make no sense, they have never made sense and they will continue to make no sense moving forward if nothing is changed. It leaves such a bad taste in your mouth to watch that absolute back and forth battle, all for it to be essentially decided (or at the very least giving a massive and overwhelming advantage to one team) all based on a freakin' coin flip.

Let them battle it out....

Mahomes, Allen, Burrow and Herbert are the modern day Brady, Manning, Big Ben and Rivers. They talked about the golden age of QBs but it’s looking like these guys are going to be just as good.  There is still Lamar, Wentz, Jones, Lawrence, Tua, Carr and Wilson.  We don’t know what’s going on with Watson yet either. AFC is freaking loaded with talent at QB. 

Last night was so much fun.  Reminded me of the MNF game against TB and we scored 21pts in 4min. The only thing I didn’t like about it was someone had to lose.  Josh Allen is an amazing player but everyone will forget what he did.  Oh well...the games are played to find a winner.  

41 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

And bad defensive strategy, especially not squibing the kickoff after the Bills' final touchdown with 13 seconds left.

It wasnt the perfect game but i doubt McDermott makes that error again, it happens....especially when you're facing a QB who's that good. It can make you lose reason.

2 hours ago, Chucklez said:

So much this....

The OT rules make no sense, they have never made sense and they will continue to make no sense moving forward if nothing is changed. It leaves such a bad taste in your mouth to watch that absolute back and forth battle, all for it to be essentially decided (or at the very least giving a massive and overwhelming advantage to one team) all based on a freakin' coin flip.

Let them battle it out....

Screw that, they had 13 seconds to win the game, so boo hoo. There is no good alternative because the college system is god awful

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Reminded me of the MNF game against TB and we scored 21pts in 4min.

I mentioned that in the game thread twice yesterday. That game was amazing. 

Yesterday's game too was a classic. I feel awful for the Bills players, coaches and city but they played great and should be optimistic going forward.  

I too am puzzled as to why coaches change defensive strategies that have worked all game to allow chunks of yards at a time, leading to eventual touchdowns. It makes no sense. 

Anyway, great game. I'm glad I got to see it. All the games this weekend were fantastic to watch. 

47 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

Screw that, they had 13 seconds to win the game, so boo hoo. There is no good alternative because the college system is god awful

Of course there is, make them play a full extra quarter.... or 10 mins.... or whatever, just like any other games OT system in the world.... 

You cant have the game decided by a coinflip, it's ridiculous. The 4th quarter was a back and forth.... i would bet the farm that if the bills had won the coin flip, they'd be in the AFCCG and not the Chiefs.

I'm not sure what the answer is to overtime rules.

How many times have the rules changed?

It was, however, by far one of the most exciting and competitive games we've watched in a while and I agree with others here  hating the coin toss deciding. 

Had Buffalo Defense done their job in the final 13 seconds of regulation play we wouldn't be having this discussion, so there is that!

Chiefs tried to change these OT rules in 2018 after Brady did the same to them. Brady benefited in Atlanta SB and 2018 season AFCCG. Before that, Brees benefited from sudden death in his SB winning year.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2022/1/24/22898665/chiefs-change-overtime-rules-nfl-playoffs-patriots

The only change I’d do is give both teams a chance even if it’s a TD on one end with same OT duration 

39 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

The Buffalo DC earned getting fired today too.

I thought Romo was right about the play that set up the game tying FG. Rush two and drop an additional two back to flood the middle of the field. Mahomes’ only chance with that little time was to hit a quick pass over the middle. I would have chucked Kelsey at the line as well. Take him out of the play. After taking a time out to set up the D for what should have been the final play, they ran their standard prevent defense. That was a head scratcher. 

Archived