Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If we're gonna do it, let's do it right

John Hammonds

So.....

It looks like the pundits were right, and the only way you can win a superbowl is by getting a top QB with a top-5 pick.

And the only way to get a top-5 pick is to suck.  A lot.

Therefore, I'm announcing we kick off the Suck For Bryce 2024 Campaign!

We trade, cut, or just give away ALL of our best players.  Nelson, Leonard, Taylor, Kelly, Smith, Pittman, Moore, everyone.

We don't just want to to play badly.  We want to finish dead last.

Get that #1 overall pick in 2024, and spend it on Bryce Young, QB, Alabama.

The following year -- Superbowl 2025, baby!

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

I don’t think it would require a top 5 pick. But the QB draft would have to be good enough where there are some studs in that 10-15 range. A guy like Mahomes didn’t go top five which allowed KC to trade up a little bit. I don’t know how far allen would of fell because bills traded up. It takes some luck  to get ones as good as those two in that 7-15 range.

• Like 1

When will Arch Manning come to the NFL. Thats the year we need the #1 pick lol.

There is some truth to it though. When has a team with a mediocre QB won the SB in the last 20 years? Manning had noodle arm in 2015 for the Broncos but he still had every other attribute of an elite QB. 

49ers made it to the SB in 2020, with a ridiculous run game and defense. A rarity in the league for sure.

Those are the closest example I think.

• Like 1

Top 5 pick is not the only way to get a great QB.

In fact - Mahomes, Allen, Watson(if we ignore his off-field stuff) are all QBs that are considered some of the best in todays NFL and all of them were acquired the exact same way - a team identified them and targetted them in the draft by trade ups. None of them were top 5 picks and all of them were traded up for. 

Mahomes - The Chiefs traded up from #27 to #10 using picks(future 1st + 3d)

Allen - The Bills traded up from #23 in two moves - first from 23 to 12 using a their LT  Cordy Glenn and then from 12 to 7 using picks on draft day(2nds). 

Watson - the Texans traded up from #25 to #12 using pick(future 1st)

They all had certain imprefections that needed to be worked on and improved to get there... and that's why you don't target the Trevor Lawrences of the world - you target players with great talent who have the potential to be great but are currently not ready. 

So yeah. This should tell you two things:

1. you don't need to bottom out to get a great QB(even though it helps). You don't need to trade everybody to get there.

2. But also... it tells you noone and no pick should be beyond consideration for a trade (like the Bills traded their solid starting LT in order to get in position to get their QB) for a QB you truly believe in. 

Either way... you are probably not getting Andrew Luck type of prospect. You are getting a prospect with good traits that need to be developed and problems that need to be eliminated, so you need to trust your coaching staff's ability to do that. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Nick Foles

Joe Flacco

Brad Johnson

Trent Dilfer (22 years)

Yes Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer are the most recent examples. 03 and 00. Nick Foles had arguably one the best final 5 game plus playoffs run of any quarterback ever lol. His stats during the playoffs in 2017 were ludicrous. Joe Flacco was playoff Joe, he also had ridiculous stats in the playoffs. 

31 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

When has a team with a mediocre QB won the SB in the last 20 years?

You not only have to look at the name, but also how the QB played.  Brady wasn't great in the playoffs last year and didn't have to do much to win the Super Bowl.  In the Rams Super Bowl, the Pats had, what, 3 points in the 4th quarter?  

The point being, there is more than one way to win a Super Bowl.  You can win with defense, running the ball and good QB play.  Rodgers is the MVP, yet the Niners won yesterday with special teams and some timely clutch throws.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Yes Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer are the most recent examples. 03 and 00. Nick Foles had arguably one the best final 5 game plus playoffs run of any quarterback ever lol. His stats during the playoffs in 2017 were ludicrous. Joe Flacco was playoff Joe, he also had ridiculous stats in the playoffs. 

True, but Flacco and Foles are the definition of mediocre QB’s. Yes, they played great and had a magical run, but it doesn’t change the fact that the Eagles and Ravens won the Super Bowl with mediocre QB’s. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

So.....

It looks like the pundits were right, and the only way you can win a superbowl is by getting a top QB with a top-5 pick.

We trade, cut, or just give away ALL of our best players.  Nelson, Leonard, Taylor, Kelly, Smith, Pittman, Moore, everyone.

Your that High on him?

1 hour ago, coltsva said:

True, but Flacco and Foles are the definition of mediocre QB’s. Yes, they played great and had a magical run, but it doesn’t change the fact that the Eagles and Ravens won the Super Bowl with mediocre QB’s. 

Yea but in order to win the SB they had to have miraculous runs, that doesn't happen very often.

1 hour ago, #12. said:

You not only have to look at the name, but also how the QB played.  Brady wasn't great in the playoffs last year and didn't have to do much to win the Super Bowl.  In the Rams Super Bowl, the Pats had, what, 3 points in the 4th quarter?  

The point being, there is more than one way to win a Super Bowl.  You can win with defense, running the ball and good QB play.  Rodgers is the MVP, yet the Niners won yesterday with special teams and some timely clutch throws.  

Brady's presence can't be discounted, elite quarterbacks have many other traits then putting up gawdy stats

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

So.....

John?

We have people here who will take you seriously!   They don’t know you’re kidding!

You ARE kidding, aren’t you?    Aren’t you?   Well, aren’t you?!?     Uh-oh!    Ahhhhhh!!

:HFire:   :HFire:

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

With no first rounder other teams are going to beat that easily. If Wilson goes anywhere it will be to a major market.

That could very well be, and I know it’s probably not going to happen but I can dream!

Think about it though, Wilson would want to go somewhere that he can win now.   Which team is better set up, that needs a QB, than the Colts?

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

John?

We have people here who will take you seriously!   They don’t know you’re kidding!

You ARE kidding, aren’t you?    Aren’t you?   Well, aren’t you?!?     Uh-oh!    Ahhhhhh!!

:HFire:   :HFire:

Yes, this post was satire.  No, I don't actually believe this is what we should do.

Satire, I tell you!  It was all made up!  All of it!!  Soylent Green is People!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

So.....

Or instead of all that.... we put all of our starters on IR for the season....

the funny thing is, people on here BLASTED me when I said we should have sat Wentz after our 1-3 start, gotten our number 1 back. 

18 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

When will Arch Manning come to the NFL. Thats the year we need the #1 pick lol.

There is some truth to it though. When has a team with a mediocre QB won the SB in the last 20 years? Manning had noodle arm in 2015 for the Broncos but he still had every other attribute of an elite QB. 

49ers made it to the SB in 2020, with a ridiculous run game and defense. A rarity in the league for sure.

Those are the closest example I think.

In about 5 years

20 hours ago, Smonroe said:

A trade for Wilson is doable.  If we really want to put all the chips in.

Do we?  Only Jim can answer that.  

Watson will be traded for by someone.  That someone will have him go into a sex addiction rehab and they will say he apologizes for any wrong doing etc.  He will be forgiven by the public and will dominate the nfl again.

Edit: sorry for some reason i read watson instead of wilson.  I still stand by my watson prediction.  I don't think wilson needs sex addiction rehab.  lol.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Watson will be traded for by someone.  That someone will have him go into a sex addiction rehab and they will say he apologizes for any wrong doing etc.  He will be forgiven by the public and will dominate the nfl again.

Edit: sorry for some reason i read watson instead of wilson.  I still stand by my watson prediction.  I don't think wilson needs sex addiction rehab.  lol.

I'm sure you're right about Watson.  I doubt he'd be on the Colts radar.  Not as long as Ballard is the GM.  I'm good with that.

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I'm sure you're right about Watson.  I doubt he'd be on the Colts radar.  Not as long as Ballard is the GM.  I'm good with that.

I don't think for the colts either.  That's too much baggage for Ballard.  I'm good with that too.  I think someone will do that though.  

2 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I don't think for the colts either.  That's too much baggage for Ballard.  I'm good with that too.  I think someone will do that though.  

If Jones wasn't doing so well in NE, I could see them going for Watson.  He and their owner would have something in common.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

life in pieces massage GIF by CBS

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Yea rams shouldn’t gave up what they did for stafford lol. 

this proves teams can get an elite qb without drafting one, the gm has to make a good decision , ballard made another bad decision

13 hours ago, Smonroe said:

That could very well be, and I know it’s probably not going to happen but I can dream!

Think about it though, Wilson would want to go somewhere that he can win now.   Which team is better set up, that needs a QB, than the Colts?

You mean once you get past the DE, WR, CB, S's, OL, holes?

I  would start with Tenn., Cleveland, Miami, Phil.