Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Until Colts get top tier Qb.

Bert Johns

Looking at the playoffs right now only top tier qbs are left standing except maybe Stafford and Jimmy G.. This is a qb driven league and until the Colts get a top tier qb they will struggle period. Qbs that are left in the  Afc Josh Allen/ Joe Burrow/ Patrick Mahomes. Nfc Aaron Rodgers/ Tom Brady/ Matt Stafford and Jimmy G and look for Jimmy to be sent home tonight and Stafford tomorrow Ok let debate this.

• Like 1

Stafford is in that top tier, but yes agreed the days of defense, run game and special teams carrying a mediocre QB to a SB are ancient history. You could probably peg the Bucs in 03 as the last team to do it.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, #12. said:

Let's just first get a QB who can beat the Jags and go from there.

Who knows what we could have done had we gotten in.  We destroyed Buffalo.

Wentz only lost one game to the Jags.

Reich has lost 4

Ballard has lost 6

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Stafford is in that top tier, but yes agreed the days of defense, run game and special teams carrying a mediocre QB to a SB are ancient history. You could probably peg the Bucs in 03 as the last team to do it.

SF came close a couple years ago. Their coach stopped running with a ten point lead.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, #12. said:

Let's just first get a QB who can beat the Jags and go from there.

Who knows what we could have done had we gotten in.  We destroyed Buffalo.

One and done for the Colts if they got in. They weren’t good enough to beat Raiders and Jags when they needed to. That shows you right there Colts weren’t good enough to make any kind of run this year.  

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

There has been a much more recent example of that...Denver Broncos in 2015.

Also keep in mind, that the pats first 4 SB wins had the 1 or 2 ranked defense for the year.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, TheMiz said:

There has been a much more recent example of that...Denver Broncos in 2015.

Also keep in mind, that the pats first 4 SB wins had the 1 or 2 ranked defense for the year.

Yes of course those teams had #1 defenses, but the key part of my statement was "carry a mediocre QB". Id hardly call Brady or Manning mediocre. Even in 2015 when Manning didn't play great, he is still Peyton Manning, he carried all the attributes of an elite quarterback except the elite arm at that point.

1 hour ago, Nesjan3 said:

2016 Broncos

7 minutes ago, runthepost said:

2016 Broncos

They still had Peyton. Not playing his best but as I posted above its still Peyton fricken Manning. He still had all the traits of an Elite quarterback except the elite arm at that point.

Ok congratulations you guys can point out a handful of times it has happened in the past 20 years of playoffs lol. I think its safe to say the VAST MAJORITY of times you need an elite QB to get the SB rings. 

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

So GB, with a top tier QB, who by the way outplayed the other team's mediocre QB, still lost.

STs and D was the difference tonight, not a top tier QB.

Anomaly…. And our defense is nowhere close to San Fran nor is our skill guys. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Not saying our D is close.

I'm saying only that a top 10 D beat a top 10 O with an top tier QB.

STs was as much or more of an impact than anything on O or D though.

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

One and done for the Colts if they got in. They weren’t good enough to beat Raiders and Jags when they needed to. That shows you right there Colts weren’t good enough to make any kind of run this year.  

Not true. We played Raiders and Jags with key starters fatigued and I’ll from COVID. Playing them at full health almost surely has a different outcome. That’s what’s so frustrating about this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

7 minutes ago, Los1sol said:

Not true. We played Raiders and Jags with key starters fatigued and I’ll from COVID. Playing them at full health almost surely has a different outcome. That’s what’s so frustrating about this year.

Garrapolo is a top 10-12 QB. Shanahan, Samuel, and Kittle were terrific.

3 minutes ago, Coltsbluefan said:

Russell Wilson..wouldn’t mind going after him,just not sure what it would take to get him.

It would cost the kind of price that Ballard does not want to pay.    But even if was willing to pay the price, Wilson does not want to play in Indianapolis.  

Russell Wilson and his singer wife Ciara, want to live in a big sexy media market like LA or NY.   Or in a state with zero income tax like Florida (Miami) or Texas (Houston).    They don’t want to live in the heartland in quiet Indianapolis.    So if we agreed to terms with Seattle, Wilson would simply tell Ballard that he will not re-sign with the Colts when his contract is up.  

And that would kill the deal. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bert Johns said:

I was wrong. Jimmy G survived tonight. The 49ers are Aaron Rogers cryptonite 0-4 against them in the playoffs. Like the Jags are to the Colts. They have their#

Ugh. True but ugh!

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It would cost the kind of price that Ballard does not want to pay.    But even if was willing to pay the price, Wilson does not want to play in Indianapolis.  

Russell Wilson and his singer wife Ciara, want to live in a big sexy media market like LA or NY.   Or in a state with zero income tax like Florida (Miami) or Texas (Houston).    They don’t want to live in the heartland in quiet Indianapolis.    So if we agreed to terms with Seattle, Wilson would simply tell Ballard that he will not re-sign with the Colts when his contract is up.  

And that would kill the deal. 

How do you know all this?

9 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

They still had Peyton. Not playing his best but as I posted above its still Peyton fricken Manning. He still had all the traits of an Elite quarterback except the elite arm at that point.

Peyton had a noodle arm at that point lol , but yea great field general 

SF special teams won that game for them. Blocked FG and blocked punt for their only TD. Plus a game winning FG.

Garopollo was 11-19 for 131yds, an INT and a QB rating of 57.1. Tannehill with 3 INT and a 66QB rating. I'll take Stafford over either. 

13 hours ago, Bert Johns said:

Looking at the playoffs right now only top tier qbs are left standing except maybe Stafford and Jimmy G.. This is a qb driven league and until the Colts get a top tier qb they will struggle period. Qbs that are left in the  Afc Josh Allen/ Joe Burrow/ Patrick Mahomes. Nfc Aaron Rodgers/ Tom Brady/ Matt Stafford and Jimmy G and look for Jimmy to be sent home tonight and Stafford tomorrow Ok let debate this.

Wheres Jimmy at lol...