Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts positive thread

2006Coltsbestever

18 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Spring is here

So glad spring is here, weather around here starts getting good now. To me winter is basically December 1st - April 1st. Once April 1st gets here we are out of the woods regarding any big snows or fluke ice storms or like less than 25 degree weather happening regarding Indianapolis. From April 2nd to November 30th we are good. 

I find it interesting that the Colts positive thread is only 2 pages. That either means the Colts are really bad or fans are by nature, negative in their subjective assessments. I think it’s the latter. 
   While I would agree they could make use of another WR, a TE to replace Doyle, a CB and LT, they are not as bad of a team as some would suggest. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I find it interesting that the Colts positive thread is only 2 pages. That either means the Colts are really bad or fans are by nature, negative in their subjective assessments. I think it’s the latter. 
   While I would agree they could make use of another WR, a TE to replace Doyle, a CB and LT, they are not as bad of a team as some would suggest. 

I'll add to the thread.  IMO, I think we have the best QB in the division, and the best defense.

Yes, still a couple spots that need shorn up.  LT in particular.  Even if Pryor is the answer, there's no depth.

There's more Free Agents out there that could be added, and the draft will help.

I keep going back to how on Christmas Eve last year we were the team that "nobody wants to face in the playoffs".  A team that plays solid defense and could run the ball down their throats.

We still basically have that team, with an improvement at the most important position.

(How's that for being positive?)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

As much as I love this site and I do think many in here are good posters, we flat out have a bunch of negative Nelly's as well. That is why it is only 2 pages long. Some just think we can form an all-star team and win the SB more often than not, doesn't work like that. We just signed Matt Ryan and some are complaining about that lmao . When Matt shuts those folks up by winning the division and making a run in the playoffs, those complainers will hide The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

• Like 1

People like to complain more than stating anything positive.  It someone started a negative thread on the Colts, it would already be 10 pages or more.  Such is the fanbase.

Matt Ryan should do well with Taylor and Pittman. He can throw deep, accurate passes and has been injury free. Also, the Colts O-line is better than the Falcons' was. 

9 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I think it might be only 2 pages also because the conversation is a little limited by nature in a positive-only thread and there's no real debate, which is a key element of message boards. 

If the season were to start right now, this would be our projected lineup (see below). I am usually a pretty positive guy and I know that EVERY team in the league is always missing a piece or two just like we are, so I don't get bent out of shape like most. Can we win with this roster - yeah. I mean Wentz had us in the playoffs until the last two weeks with a pretty similar roster so Matt Ryan can absolutely mask a few weak spots and get us to the playoffs. If we improved in a few of the weak spots between the rest of free agency, the draft, the UDFA process and then free agent signings from cut down day and/or salary cap cuts Ballard and company will most certainly fill most of these weaknesses in! We just have to be patient.

For example, what if he traded from one of the excess Miami Dolphins WR's? DeVante Parker or Preston Williams? More specifically DeVante Parker as our true number 2 opposite Pittman? 

Areas I'm sure we'd all like to see additions/improvement still: 

A true #1A or #2 WR

Another CB or 2

A true CFer type FS - and if one is found, perhaps a switch back to CB is in order for Blackmon?

Another S or 2 for depth

A stretch the field TE to go with Cox (who now becomes the primary in-line blocker) and Granson's slot bully skillset

A true LT (veteran or prime draft pick)

Another interior OLineman or 2 for depth

Another DT/NT/DE or 2 for depth

WR - Parris Campbell, Michael Strachan

LT - Matt Pryor

LG - Quinton Nelson

C - Ryan Kelly

RG - Danny Pinter, Will Fries

RT - Braden Smith

TE - Mo Alie-Cox

TE - Kylen Granson

WR - Keke Coutee, Ashton Dulin

WR - Michael Pittman, Dezmon Patmon

QB - Matt Ryan, Sam Ehlinger

RB - Jonathan Taylor, Nyheim Hines, Deon Jackson

LEO - Yannick Ngakoue, Ben Banogu

DT - DeForest Buckner, R.J. McIntosh

NT - Grover Stewart

DE - Tyquan Lewis, Dayo Odeyingbo

WILL - Darius Leonard, E.J. Speed, Jordan Glasgow

MIKE - Bobby Okereke

SAM - Zaire Franklin

CB - Isaiah Rodgers, Marvell Tell

FS - Julian Blackmon

SS - Khari Willis

NB - Kenny Moore

CB - Brandon Facsyon

P - Rigoberto Sanchez

LS - Luke Rhodes

K - Rodrigo Blankenship

Under the radar people to look out for:

DB Tony Brown - was on the Raiders PS last year with Gus Bradley and was signed roughly a month after Coach Gus was hired. All the scouting reports coming out of college had this guy as a big nickel or pegged as positional change in the NFL to Safety. Supposedly good at blitzing, solid tackler and has blazing speed at 4.35 and a core special teamer - could be why Coach Gus and Ballard let Odum go (and he got PAID)?!!?

OT Jordan Murray - UDFA LT originally with Seattle then played both LT/RT for the 2020 Spring League champs (Generals) and then 2021 with the Hamilton Tigercats who finished runner-up in the Grey Cup. So he's seen live pass rushers and has played LT for two winning teams (regardless of level). He's only 24 now and is HUGE like Matt Pryor at 6'9" and 325 pounds. He could be the swing tackle in addition to whomever they draft this year?

DL Kameron Cline - he was an UDFA that we've had on our PS and a 1 game call-up to the bigs once and had a tackle. He played a "position less" defense in college but seemed to line up at DE and DT the most. His two years of strength training/nutrition, film study and practice against our OLine should have done him well as he was retained when a draft pick of Ballard's was not - Rob Windsor who happens to play the same position. This does not guarantee a spot......but when the new DC chooses to retain you over his GM's draft pick from the same year that means he's shown enough to get to TC.

• Thanks 1

Losing seasons by team since 1999.....

Pats - 2

Steelers - 2

Colts - 4

Packers - 4

Ravens - 5

Eagles - 6

Seahawks - 7

Broncos - 8

Chargers - 8

Chiefs - 8

Cowboys - 8

Saints - 8

Titans - 8

Vikings - 9

Texans - 10

Dolphins - 11

Jets - 11

Bears - 12

Bengals - 12

Bills - 12

Buccaneers - 12

Falcons - 12

Giants - 12

Rams - 12

Cardinals - 13

FortyNiners - 14

Panthers - 14

Raiders - 14

Redskins - 14

Jaguars - 16

Lions - 17

Browns - 20

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

If the season were to start right now, this would be our projected lineup (see below). I am usually a pretty positive guy and I know that EVERY team in the league is always missing a piece or two just like we are, so I don't get bent out of shape like most. Can we win with this roster - yeah. I mean Wentz had us in the playoffs until the last two weeks with a pretty similar roster so Matt Ryan can absolutely mask a few weak spots and get us to the playoffs. If we improved in a few of the weak spots between the rest of free agency, the draft, the UDFA process and then free agent signings from cut down day and/or salary cap cuts Ballard and company will most certainly fill most of these weaknesses in! We just have to be patient.

For example, what if he traded from one of the excess Miami Dolphins WR's? DeVante Parker or Preston Williams? More specifically DeVante Parker as our true number 2 opposite Pittman? 

Areas I'm sure we'd all like to see additions/improvement still: 

A true #1A or #2 WR

Another CB or 2

A true CFer type FS - and if one is found, perhaps a switch back to CB is in order for Blackmon?

Another S or 2 for depth

A stretch the field TE to go with Cox (who now becomes the primary in-line blocker) and Granson's slot bully skillset

A true LT (veteran or prime draft pick)

Another interior OLineman or 2 for depth

Another DT/NT/DE or 2 for depth

WR - Parris Campbell, Michael Strachan

LT - Matt Pryor

LG - Quinton Nelson

C - Ryan Kelly

RG - Danny Pinter, Will Fries

RT - Braden Smith

TE - Mo Alie-Cox

TE - Kylen Granson

WR - Keke Coutee, Ashton Dulin

WR - Michael Pittman, Dezmon Patmon

QB - Matt Ryan, Sam Ehlinger

RB - Jonathan Taylor, Nyheim Hines, Deon Jackson

LEO - Yannick Ngakoue, Ben Banogu

DT - DeForest Buckner, R.J. McIntosh

NT - Grover Stewart

DE - Tyquan Lewis, Dayo Odeyingbo

WILL - Darius Leonard, E.J. Speed, Jordan Glasgow

MIKE - Bobby Okereke

SAM - Zaire Franklin

CB - Isaiah Rodgers, Marvell Tell

FS - Julian Blackmon

SS - Khari Willis

NB - Kenny Moore

CB - Brandon Facsyon

P - Rigoberto Sanchez

LS - Luke Rhodes

K - Rodrigo Blankenship

Under the radar people to look out for:

DB Tony Brown - was on the Raiders PS last year with Gus Bradley and was signed roughly a month after Coach Gus was hired. All the scouting reports coming out of college had this guy as a big nickel or pegged as positional change in the NFL to Safety. Supposedly good at blitzing, solid tackler and has blazing speed at 4.35 and a core special teamer - could be why Coach Gus and Ballard let Odum go (and he got PAID)?!!?

OT Jordan Murray - UDFA LT originally with Seattle then played both LT/RT for the 2020 Spring League champs (Generals) and then 2021 with the Hamilton Tigercats who finished runner-up in the Grey Cup. So he's seen live pass rushers and has played LT for two winning teams (regardless of level). He's only 24 now and is HUGE like Matt Pryor at 6'9" and 325 pounds. He could be the swing tackle in addition to whomever they draft this year?

DL Kameron Cline - he was an UDFA that we've had on our PS and a 1 game call-up to the bigs once and had a tackle. He played a "position less" defense in college but seemed to line up at DE and DT the most. His two years of strength training/nutrition, film study and practice against our OLine should have done him well as he was retained when a draft pick of Ballard's was not - Rob Windsor who happens to play the same position. This does not guarantee a spot......but when the new DC chooses to retain you over his GM's draft pick from the same year that means he's shown enough to get to TC.

Is Kwity Paye not on your team?

• Thanks 1

The Matt Ryan signing is just what we do. We aren't a franchise that accepts losing. Since 1999, we have only had 4 losing seasons as @Four2itusbrought up = 2001, 2011, 2017, and 2019. In 2011 Peyton was out and we had really bad QB play, 2017 Luck was out and JB was basically like a rookie. Technically anytime we have had a good-great QB we have had a winning season. To me Wentz was above average and we still went 9-8. Even in 2019 with JB we could've easily been 9-7 had he not got injured and that was before Taylor was even on the roster.

• Like 1

So I've been posting positive comments in all of these other threads that are filled with doom and gloom fans...I thought to myself damn, I should just start a thread to talk about the positive and what people are excited about for the year. I've noticed this thread several times and my mind just instinctively was reading it as a thread about Colts players who are positive for COVID. I guess I should practice some of that optimism that I'm preaching. LOL

Anyways here are the things I'm most excited for this upcoming season: 

• The re-emergence of Nyheim Hines - get the ball in that man's hands with some space and he can make great things happen. Seeing his usage and role last year really upset me week after week. He can be one of our biggest offensive playmakers IMO. 
  • The growth of the pass rush - new coaching, adding a proven veteran and the growth of some of our rookies has me pumped. Out of all of the positional groups I really think we see the biggest improvement here which is going to bring this defense to an entirely new level. Maybe even top 5 in points against (we were 10 last year I believe). 
  • Matt Ryan - Really excited to see what he gives us. This guy wants to win, he is mature, smart, and consistent. This is literally the closest I've felt to a "Manning led team" since he left. I loved Andrew Luck, it hurt when he left. He was an incredible talent but he was also timid and kind. Ryan is a different kind of leader that I think works a bit better as the franchise guy. 
  • Jonathan Taylor - this one goes without saying right? Can he have another career year? Will be fun to watch. 
  • Development of our WR group under Reggie - I think people are underestimating this hire and what he can do for our young guys. He's a HoF'er, a world champion. He brings that mentality and I hope it rubs off on our guys.
  • Betting on the Colts Futures to make a little money. For those who say we aren't close to winning the division, I say check them odds because Vegas is rarely wrong. :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

To keep the positive thread going, I'll post my Waaaaaay Too Early 2022 game predictions:

DIVISION GAMES 4-2

Houston at home (WIN)

Houston away (WIN)

Jacksonville at home (WIN)

Jacksonville away (Loss - until we can prove otherwise)

Tennessee at home (WIN)

Tennessee away (Loss)

CONFERENCE GAMES 2-4

Kansas City at home (Loss)

LA Chargers at home (Loss)

Denver away (WIN)

Las Vegas away (Loss)

Pittsburgh at home (WIN)

New England away (Loss)

INTERCONFERENCE GAMES 4-1

Philadelphia at home (WIN)

Washington at home (WIN)

Dallas away (Loss)

NY Giants away (WIN)

Minnesota away (WIN)

SEASON RECORD 10-7

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

One was an awesome team leader and impactful against the run. One is a great play maker who is average in pass coverage and playing the run. The other to me maybe the best middle linebacker to play the game. 240 and could run like the wind and was great in run support and pass coverage. U decide who is who!!

The turnovers speak for themselves.   Who has the most?

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

The turnovers speak for themselves.   Who has the most?

Who has the most int'a career wise for corners? Most of the elite corners don't get a lot of picks because qbs don't throw to their side of the field. One could say that Leonard is elite in pass coverage because of the picks. One could say he gets a lot of pics because qbs are constantly throwing in his area.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

To keep the positive thread going, I'll post my Waaaaaay Too Early 2022 game predictions:

DIVISION GAMES 4-2

Houston at home (WIN)

Houston away (WIN)

Jacksonville at home (WIN)

Jacksonville away (Loss - until we can prove otherwise)

Tennessee at home (WIN)

Tennessee away (Loss)

CONFERENCE GAMES 2-4

Kansas City at home (Loss)

LA Chargers at home (Loss)

Denver away (WIN)

Las Vegas away (Loss)

Pittsburgh at home (WIN)

New England away (Loss)

INTERCONFERENCE GAMES 4-1

Philadelphia at home (WIN)

Washington at home (WIN)

Dallas away (Loss)

NY Giants away (WIN)

Minnesota away (WIN)

SEASON RECORD 10-7

That is fair enough, I think we can beat Dallas or Vegas though. You pretty much have the same thing I have as of know for an early prediction but I have us at 11 wins, if we get another good WR it may be at 12 wins. I think it will take 11 wins to win the division as long as we split with the Titans.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Who has the most int'a career wise for corners? Most of the elite corners don't get a lot of picks because qbs don't throw to their side of the field. One could say that Leonard is elite in pass coverage because of the picks. One could say he gets a lot of pics because qbs are constantly throwing in his area.  

So you're going to ignore the forced fumbles and recovered fumbles.  We all know you're nonsense take on DL is bad.   You just can't get off of it.   It's ok.  

@Moosejawcolt This is the Colts Positive Thread. You have not been very positive here. I will have to clean this up.

There are many other threads where you can criticize players, coaches, and front office decisions. Please don't post that here. This is a serious request. Thank you.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Leonard was phenomenal this year in TOs. Gimpy for at least half the year, he himself early forecasted he would focus on turnovers. I agree some of the INTs were right at him, but you simply can't ignore the *.

He was easily our best player on D. Take away his INTs if you want. Happy to debate. Come at me.

34 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

@Moosejawcolt This is the Colts Positive Thread. You have not been very positive here. I will have to clean this up.

There are many other threads where you can criticize players, coaches, and front office decisions. Please don't post that here. This is a serious request. Thank you.

It's a quandary. Does the title of thread create new rules? Do OP creators define their own rules? Interesting mod Qs. At minimum, it should be board defined and consistent. Does a "Colts Negative Thread" prevent posters from disagreeing with negative thoughts in that particular thread?

Just making you (and the other mods) think. :thmup: 

On 1/22/2022 at 9:49 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

All of us Colts fans hated the way the season ended, so to cheer everyone up, here is a look at what our franchise has accomplished since 1984 being in Indy.

SB Championships

AFC Championships

2006, 2009

AFC Title Game Appearances

1995, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2014

Division Championships

1987 (AFC East), 1999 (AFC East), 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014

QB's we have had

Jim Harbaugh (1994-1997)

Peyton Manning (1998-2010) didn't play in 2011

Andrew Luck (2012-2016, 2018) didn't play in 2017

Philip Rivers (2020)

RB's we have had

Eric Dickerson (1987-1991)

Marshall Faulk (1994-1998)

Edge James (1999-2005)

Jonathan Taylor (2020 and 2021) - in his prime now

-Just remember the great times and we will see what happens this offseason. 

Think of how Vikings fans feel, sorry @NFLfan losing in 4 SB's = 1969, 1973, 1974, and 1976 + losing in the 1998 NFC Title Game with a loaded team. Think of how Bills fans feel, losing 4 straight SB's from 1990-1993. Imagine Dolphin fan from 1983-1999 having Dan Marino who is a top 10 QB of all-time and winning 0 SB's. Things could be worse. We will be ok folks. Isray, Ballard, and Frank are on the right the path, we just need a franchise QB.

Have no fear Matt Ryan is here now! Time to add to our banners and great QB's we have had. I knew when I started this thread we would get a good QB, of course it happened. Tennessee is in a world of hurt now, no taking advantage of bad QB play .