Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Crazy but could work...

TimetobringDfence!

1 minute ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Before the last two games I felt comfortable going with Wentz vs anyone. There wasn’t a team we couldn’t beat when we were rolling.  I thought the issues were elsewhere on the roster and coaches. I get those last two games soured a lot of people but I think Covid has a lot to do with it. I finally got it and the biggest thing for me was the fatigue. I was just unbelievably tired and after a hour of doing normal activities I would need to rest. I get these are world class athletes but I still think it slowed them down.  

Maybe Jimmy is the better player but we are so close to being elite I don’t think it’s worth the assets it would cost to make the move. We need a another playmaker on both sides of the ball and continuity more than anything. 

Oh I was defending Wentz bigtime in here and even saying he was better than Tannehill which I still don't think Tannehill will win a SB but he may end up in the final 4. Jimmy G actually got to a SB and had a lead over KC at one time. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Before the last two games I felt comfortable going with Wentz vs anyone. There wasn’t a team we couldn’t beat when we were rolling.  I thought the issues were elsewhere on the roster and coaches. I get those last two games soured a lot of people but I think Covid has a lot to do with it. I finally got it and the biggest thing for me was the fatigue. I was just unbelievably tired and after a hour of doing normal activities I would need to rest. I get these are world class athletes but I still think it slowed them down.  

Maybe Jimmy is the better player but we are so close to being elite I don’t think it’s worth the assets it would cost to make the move. We need a another playmaker on both sides of the ball and continuity more than anything. 

I agree with continuity, we could still let Nelson walk with no trade and go with Pryor, Reed, Kelly, Glow, Smith and have a solid line that's all played together. That money from Q could land us a WR like Godwin and FS like Matthieu doesn't have to be those exact guys but those positions are needs that Trump a G any day. I could argue G is the least valuable position out of OFF and DEF. It's right above kickers punters and STers..oh and FB.

1 minute ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I agree with continuity, we could still let Nelson walk with no trade and go with Pryor, Reed, Kelly, Glow, Smith and have a solid line that's all played together. That money from Q could land us a WR like Godwin and FS like Matthieu doesn't have to be those exact guys but those positions are needs that Trump a G any day. I could agree G is the least valuable position out of OFF and DEF. It's right above kickers punters and STers..

I don't think we trade Nelson, yeah our O.Line wouldn't stink without him but with him we are scary up front. He brings an attitude to that unit.

56 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I really do understand the logic behind what you are saying.  It’s just not going to happen.  We can’t trade Nelson for more than a 2nd or 3rd.  No GM is going to give up premium picks and a huge contract to a guard.  If we let him walk we will probably get a end of 3rd comp pick.  I’m sure Ballard understands the culture of this team and how shipping an all pro out of town over money may hurt it. 

I don’t like the idea of paying a guard 20million a year when we have so many holes at premium positions.  However, we don’t have anyone else to pay instead.  If we had a LT, top WR or DE also due for a contract it would probably make more sense.  You just can’t kick your best employees out bc you don’t want to give them money they earned.  It could be catastrophic on moral but that is for Ballard to decide. Nelson has earned a huge raise bc he is in the running for best guard to ever play the game. So I see the logic behind paying him as well.  It’s a tough decision that sucks but is what it is. You pay your own and find their ways to make up the difference. 

I understand what you are saying, and Nelson is my favorite player, but from a business point of view, it’s hard for me to justify paying him LT money when we have a big hole to fill at LT.  And that’s been a problem for at least 2 years.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think we trade Nelson, yeah our O.Line wouldn't stink without him but with him we are scary up front. He brings an attitude to that unit.

Well that attitude disappeared this season, how our line played against JAX was the worst performance I've seen from the Colts in my life. I wonder if we messed up switching Oline coaches.

1 minute ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Well that attitude disappeared this season, how our line played against JAX was the worst performance I've seen from the Colts in my life. I wonder if we messed up switching Oline coaches.

We have a consistency and pride problem that is a growing ugly stench. No urgency to win or compete...FR is Pagano 2.0 Mr. Golden tongue all talk and no walk...

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Man, someone hit the sauce , yeah let’s trade our all pros for a bunch a guys and a QB who “isn’t much better than Wentz”. That makes a lot of sense... not

Do we have an all pro QB, do we have an all pro LT, an all pro DE. We have an all pro Nickle CB an all pro G, our best players are at non vital positions if we keep paying top dollar where is doesn't matter we will be mediocre for a long time...maybe that trade isn't good. But keeping Reed over Nelson is a smart money move and can fill other needs.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We aren't trading Taylor, Nelson, Leonard, Defo, Paye, Smith, or Pittman. Everyone else's butt would be on alert if I was the GM though. I am pretty sure Ballard would agree with me. Now if we wanted to cut ties with Wentz and maybe trade Hines and Moore along with our #1 2023 pick for an upgrade at QB I can see that. I talked to another friend of mine last night. I asked him who would you rather have Jimmy G or Carson, or even Carr or Carson? He chose Jimmy G over all 3 without hesitation and he is 65 years old. I asked him why, he said because he is smarter than those guys, gets rid of the ball quick, has won big playoff games, and would fit our offense perfectly. He has been watching football since the 60's lmao .

Probably not trading Moore or Hines either

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He plays like garbage when he has COVID and refuses to get vaccinated to help his team win. I’ve seen enough out of him to let him walk. Reed would be a fine replacement as we have all seen.

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I would trade Nelson for the player not the picks. Either you get your QB or LT in the trade or don't do it. If you package Nelson with Hines and Moore your unloading money at positions of less need. We have too much money at G, RB2, Nickel CB. Mack can be number 2 rb Jackson 3 rb. I.Rogers can play Nickel good for sure... And we would get Our future QB and TE or what ever a team will offer with the QB...

I don’t know if anyone will trade their premiere LT or QB for Nelson, Hines and Moore.  That’s why he will be resigned.  There isn’t anyone available worth the price it would take to get them. If we don’t sign him we will just be without an all pro LG and still not have an elite LT or QB. With the circumstances of our team it’s probably best we keep our own and find the best value at LT until we can draft one. 

I would much prefer to have a 20million a year LT and a budget guard but it’s just not possible to get that guy without waaaaaayyyy overpaying to the point it will hurt the team. Same with QB, we can probably go get an upgrade but then we won’t have a LT or a LG and still need a WR, DB and DE with no means to get one bc we are out of cap room and draft picks. 

Best thing for this team is to roll with Wentz bc he is good but not great, try and sign Pryor and/or Fisher to team friendly deals, create some more cap room cutting or restructuring other players to get a WR or DB in FA that will immediately upgrade and then draft well.  

Gonna be a long off-season in this place. Gotta make sure to limit my screen time until after the draft...

Then I can enjoy the 'our draft sucked' debates.

But I will definitely tune in for the free agency threads and how we screwed that up too of course .. Lol

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We aren't trading Taylor, Nelson, Leonard, Defo, Paye, Smith, or Pittman. Everyone else's butt would be on alert if I was the GM though. I am pretty sure Ballard would agree with me. Now if we wanted to cut ties with Wentz and maybe trade Hines and Moore along with our #1 2023 pick for an upgrade at QB I can see that. I talked to another friend of mine last night. I asked him who would you rather have Jimmy G or Carson, or even Carr or Carson? He chose Jimmy G over all 3 without hesitation and he is 65 years old. I asked him why, he said because he is smarter than those guys, gets rid of the ball quick, has won big playoff games, and would fit our offense perfectly. He has been watching football since the 60's lmao .

If this is true about Jimmy then why does he have more int less touchdowns and only 3 less sacks than Carson. Jimmy is not a upgrade. In five playoff games he avgs 119 yards with 2 tds and 4 ints 

4 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I would trade Nelson for the player not the picks. Either you get your QB or LT in the trade or don't do it. If you package Nelson with Hines and Moore your unloading money at positions of less need. We have too much money at G, RB2, Nickel CB. Mack can be number 2 rb Jackson 3 rb. I.Rogers can play Nickel good for sure... And we would get Our future QB and TE or what ever a team will offer with the QB...

It's not Madden bud

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

It's not Madden bud

No it's real football and G is one of the least important positions on the field...

It's right above special teamers Kickers and Punters then FB then G... literally all positions on offense and defense are more important. LT C and RT will always be more important than your gaurds. It's the easiest position to fill...

Paying Nelson $20 million per year is one thing. Paying Nelson and what Kelly is making is another.  I would be preemptive and try to move Kelly now while they can claim the team getting him is receiving a pro bowl center. At least shop him around as see what they can get in a trade. 

24 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

No it's real football and G is one of the least important positions on the field...

It's right above special teamers Kickers and Punters then FB then G... literally all positions on offense and defense are more important. LT C and RT will always be more important than your gaurds. It's the easiest position to fill...

Then you are killing your own argument.   If guard is so under valued,  what top notch player are you going to get by trading him?  Again,   it's not Madden

56 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Then you are killing your own argument.   If guard is so under valued,  what top notch player are you going to get by trading him?  Again,   it's not Madden

I totally agree if guard isn't a valuable position than you will never get a value good enough in a trade to let nelson go

7 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I agree.  Just because the CDC says they can play doesn’t mean they aren’t still suffering from the recovery process of COvid.  It’s not really an excuse…it’s fact that many who recover take days to weeks to feel like they are back to full strength.  But because they are athletes fans expect them to operate like super robots. 

I think the Colts brass at the end of the day will kick the tires on Wilson and Carr but ultimately decide to run it back with Carson for one more year. They don’t want to get rid of the assets and draft picks necessary to land a significant upgrade at the QB position. Ballard will punt this ball to next year and hope he can find a long term solution then in my opinion. The Colts probably won’t be taken as serious contenders and honesty shouldn’t be but if they fail to make the playoffs again next season then they have better draft positioning to try to draft a franchise guy.  However, if they go that route then they are risking the window closing on them waiting on a rookie QB to develop.  This roster is already in win now mode minus QB. 

29 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

He’s making it more difficult by trading away picks to patch the problem. And has also dumped a ton of $$$ on the position and still no fix. 

Wentz wasn't a patch.   He and frank thought he was the long term answer.   Wentz will get a chance to prove then right or wrong next year

11 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I don’t know if anyone will trade their premiere LT or QB for Nelson, Hines and Moore.  That’s why he will be resigned.  There isn’t anyone available worth the price it would take to get them. If we don’t sign him we will just be without an all pro LG and still not have an elite LT or QB. With the circumstances of our team it’s probably best we keep our own and find the best value at LT until we can draft one. 

I would much prefer to have a 20million a year LT and a budget guard but it’s just not possible to get that guy without waaaaaayyyy overpaying to the point it will hurt the team. Same with QB, we can probably go get an upgrade but then we won’t have a LT or a LG and still need a WR, DB and DE with no means to get one bc we are out of cap room and draft picks. 

Best thing for this team is to roll with Wentz bc he is good but not great, try and sign Pryor and/or Fisher to team friendly deals, create some more cap room cutting or restructuring other players to get a WR or DB in FA that will immediately upgrade and then draft well.  

Thanks for giving a realistic opinion instead of negativity. You do have a point. But I still say use the 5th year option and hold out on the contract. We still have vital needs, WR help, FS, possible CB depth, TE. We can still run well with Reed and keep money open for when we do find the vital position guys. If we stick with Wentz at least build the position of needs up. I love Nelson but is it really important to have the best gaurd in football...

36 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Thanks for giving a realistic opinion instead of negativity. You do have a point. But I still say use the 5th year option and hold out on the contract. We still have vital needs, WR help, FS, possible CB depth, TE. We can still run well with Reed and keep money open for when we do find the vital position guys. If we stick with Wentz at least build the position of needs up. I love Nelson but is it really important to have the best gaurd in football...

Here’s why you don’t wait until after the 5th year to re-sign Nelson….

Because we’d be telling Nelson he’s playing this year with only his guaranteed 2022 salary of roughly $14 mill.   That’s it.

Nelsons agent would tell Ballard his client is not risking injury without a new contract.   So, no off-season practice, no off-season weight work.   Can’t risk injury.   We’d be in an open war with the player who Irsay has called the Face of the Franchise since Luck retired.    And Ballard knows all this.   So he won’t let this happen and neither will Irsay.  

Ballard just called Nelson a future Hall of Famer.   Trying to make him play with just year of contract is the last thing anyone wants.   Except some fans.  What you want is simply not happening. 

On 1/21/2022 at 9:55 PM, TimetobringDfence! said:

Cut Wentz... Trade Nelson, Hines, and Moore for Jimmy G, Kittle, and a 3rd/4th rd pick... Resign Pryor, Reed, Rhodes

(if cheaper), MAC get Godwin and Mathieu via FA

OFF

QB Garappolo 

OL Pryor Reed Kelly Glow Smith

TE Kittle, MAC, Granson

WR MPJ, Godwin(FA), Strachan, Pascal, Dulin, Draftees

RB JT, Mack, Jackson

DEF

DL Paye, DeFo, Stewart, Lewis

Muhammed, Dayo, Rochell, Turay

LB Leonard, Okereke, Speed, Franklin, Glasgow 

CB1 RYS 2 Rhodes Nickle Rogers 

CB depth Chachere, FA/Draftee

SS Willis, Blackmon

FS Mathieu(FA), Odum 

Would give us 9 picks with comps...

Dear God…

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Here’s why you don’t wait until after the 5th year to re-sign Nelson….

Because we’d be telling Nelson he’s playing this year with only his guaranteed 2022 salary of roughly $14 mill.   That’s it.

Nelsons agent would tell Ballard his client is not risking injury without a new contract.   So, no off-season practice, no off-season weight work.   Can’t risk injury.   We’d be in an open war with the player who Irsay has called the Face of the Franchise since Luck retired.    And Ballard knows all this.   So he won’t let this happen and neither will Irsay.  

Ballard just called Nelson a future Hall of Famer.   Trying to make him play with just year of contract is the last thing anyone wants.   Except some fans.  What you want is simply not happening. 

I didn't think or it that way...I love Qs intensity and but I don't see why he would nt want to play LT or Ballard would want him. He can make more and help the team at the same time. He is very capable and I would think k he would want the challenge. Who wants to be the best gaurd ever. When they could be the best LT...

Nelson Reed Kelly Glow Smith would dominate...Nelson has played LT for well before...but he rather eat money at gaurd and hinder the team finacially....I think he is skerd...

On 1/21/2022 at 10:06 PM, Knuckles79 said:

I don't get the Jimmy G is better than Carson debate it really is not a improvement!

Screenshot_20220121-220049_Chrome.jpg

Where is Jimmy G at today and where is Wentz...is it better coaching. We have the better run game and even in rec weapons... either Jimmy makes better decisions or our coaching needs an upgrade..numbers do t always tell the truth...CW might have the best numbers a QB ever put up with bad plays and decisions I've ever witnessed...Fools gold...here's a number not on this list, Wentz had more potential INTs dropped than any QB this year...:headspin:

On 1/21/2022 at 9:55 PM, TimetobringDfence! said:

Cut Wentz... Trade Nelson, Hines, and Moore for Jimmy G, Kittle, and a 3rd/4th rd pick... Resign Pryor, Reed, Rhodes

(if cheaper), MAC get Godwin and Mathieu via FA

OFF

QB Garappolo 

OL Pryor Reed Kelly Glow Smith

TE Kittle, MAC, Granson

WR MPJ, Godwin(FA), Strachan, Pascal, Dulin, Draftees

RB JT, Mack, Jackson

DEF

DL Paye, DeFo, Stewart, Lewis

Muhammed, Dayo, Rochell, Turay

LB Leonard, Okereke, Speed, Franklin, Glasgow 

CB1 RYS 2 Rhodes Nickle Rogers 

CB depth Chachere, FA/Draftee

SS Willis, Blackmon

FS Mathieu(FA), Odum 

Would give us 9 picks with comps...

We’re you howling at a full moon when you thought this up?????

On 1/22/2022 at 12:07 AM, boo2202 said:

So tired of this every offseason. It’s time for ballard to make the most important decision of his colts GM tenure. Find us a QB! I don’t care that luck retired and you got dealt a bad hand. It’s time to figure it out. 

Yes & no. This year is probably the worst year to need a QB. 

We aren’t the only “playoff” team struggling to find a QB. Denver, Pittsburg, Cleveland, New Orleans, Philly, Washington, Miami, SF

9 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I didn't think or it that way...I love Qs intensity and but I don't see why he would nt want to play LT or Ballard would want him. He can make more and help the team at the same time. He is very capable and I would think k he would want the challenge. Who wants to be the best gaurd ever. When they could be the best LT...

Nelson Reed Kelly Glow Smith would dominate...Nelson has played LT for well before...but he rather eat money at gaurd and hinder the team finacially....I think he is skerd...

I don’t think Nelson has ever said no.   I don’t think he’s scared or Akers of anything.   But Ballard is dead set against it.   Maybe he knows more about things than what might seem obvious to you and others.  

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think Nelson has ever said no.   I don’t think he’s scared or Akers of anything.   But Ballard is dead set against it.   Maybe he knows more about things than what might seem obvious to you and others.  

uncountable... just know we don't have our QB and I would like to see us build our team the best as possible till we can get him. I'd be okay with cutting Carson and letting Ehlinger running it a year if we don't do great we draft our guy in 23... we got to save money somewhere. I can't believe the money Stewart makes. That is unacceptable...

14 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

uncountable... just know we don't have our QB and I would like to see us build our team the best as possible till we can get him. I'd be okay with cutting Carson and letting Ehlinger running it a year if we don't do great we draft our guy in 23... we got to save money somewhere. I can't believe the money Stewart makes. That is unacceptable...

Your posts make it very evident you will never be making decisions for ANY team ever.  But I would't mind if you threw your name in he  hat in for the Jags job.   In the past they have had the same mindset as you.  So ya never know 

10 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Where is Jimmy G at today and where is Wentz...is it better coaching. We have the better run game and even in rec weapons... either Jimmy makes better decisions or our coaching needs an upgrade..numbers do t always tell the truth...CW might have the best numbers a QB ever put up with bad plays and decisions I've ever witnessed...Fools gold...here's a number not on this list, Wentz had more potential INTs dropped than any QB this year...:headspin:

Lol nice try Jimmy had only 131 yards no touchdowns 1 int and missed several throws. You do realize the 49ers have the second best wr with yards after catch and and the 2nd best  yards after catch tight end. They could've had their kicker playing qb yesterday and would've won but nice try. 2 players in the top 20 leading in yards after catch and colts have 0 dont tell me he is not playing with better talent around him not to mention offensive line is playing better as well

Archived