Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Crazy but could work...

TimetobringDfence!

Cut Wentz... Trade Nelson, Hines, and Moore for Jimmy G, Kittle, and a 3rd/4th rd pick... Resign Pryor, Reed, Rhodes

(if cheaper), MAC get Godwin and Mathieu via FA

OFF

QB Garappolo 

OL Pryor Reed Kelly Glow Smith

TE Kittle, MAC, Granson

WR MPJ, Godwin(FA), Strachan, Pascal, Dulin, Draftees

RB JT, Mack, Jackson

DEF

DL Paye, DeFo, Stewart, Lewis

Muhammed, Dayo, Rochell, Turay

LB Leonard, Okereke, Speed, Franklin, Glasgow 

CB1 RYS 2 Rhodes Nickle Rogers 

CB depth Chachere, FA/Draftee

SS Willis, Blackmon

FS Mathieu(FA), Odum 

Would give us 9 picks with comps...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Cut Wentz... Trade Nelson, Hines, and Moore for Jimmy G, Kittle, and a 3rd/4th rd pick... Resign Pryor, Reed, Rhodes

OFF

QB Garappolo 

TE Kittle, MAC, Granson

RB JT, Mack, Jackson

DEF

SS Willis, Blackmon

FS Mathieu(FA), Odum 

Interesting idea for sure. Just go BPA at positions of need with those 9 picks (which is most positions somewhere) and fill out the roster. I'm just against cutting Wentz and eating the sunken cost honestly. We'll see what happens.

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Interesting idea for sure. Just go BPA at positions of need with those 9 picks (which is most positions somewhere) and fill out the roster. I'm just against cutting Wentz and eating the sunken cost honestly. We'll see what happens.

I just have 0 faith in CW. I read a stat that he had the most dropped INTs of all QBs. He lucked out that a lot of his bad throws dropped by defenders. He refuses to throw a ball away 7 years in, can't fix that at this point... he is tough and has will but lacks brains...

Just now, Knuckles79 said:

I don't get the Jimmy G is better than Carson debate it really its a improvement!

Screenshot_20220121-220049_Chrome.jpg

Jimmy might be a little slower running and have less arm strength...but he releases the ball quicker, has presnap awareness, and will throw a ball away if no one is open. He can use a run game to his advantage and will check down... He is a better game manager than Carson...not a stud but can hold it down till we find our franchise guy...

5 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Jimmy might be a little slower running and have less arm strength...but he releases the ball quicker, has presnap awareness, and will throw a ball away if no one is open. He can use a run game to his advantage and will check down... He is a better game manager than Carson...not a stud but can hold it down till we find our franchise guy...

If this is true then why does he have more int and only 3 less sacks with one less game. Not to mention Carson also had more attempts.

Just now, Knuckles79 said:

If this is true then why does he have more int and only 3 less sacks with one less game

Carson had a lot of throws dropped by defenders, the most of any QB. Not saying Jimmy is Perfect but he will get the ball out quicker and won't throw shovel prayers or left handed ducks...plus Carson has proved to struggle once questioned. We need to sign reassurance, can he handle that... I rather call it a loss than waste another year trying to teach an old dog new tricks...

3 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Carson had a lot of throws dropped by defenders, the most of any QB. Not saying Jimmy is Perfect but he will get the ball out quicker and won't throw shovel prayers or left handed ducks...plus Carson has proved to struggle once questioned. We need to sign reassurance, can he handle that... I rather call it a loss than waste another year trying to teach an old dog new tricks...

I just don't see Jimmy as a upgrade. I think it would be better to go with Carson 1 more year and if he doesn't improve move on

5 minutes ago, Knuckles79 said:

I just don't see Jimmy as a upgrade. I think it would be better to go with Carson 1 more year and if he doesn't improve move on

I understand you on Jimmy not being much better, I just think those little differences with a good squad can make us better... we have a better run game to open things up...

I feel like running Carson again is a set back...Garappolo plays better Ds more often than us...

4 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I understand you on Jimmy not being much better, I just think those little differences with a good squad can make us better... we have a better run game to open things up...

I feel like running Carson again is a set back...Garappolo plays better Ds more often than us...

If Jimmy isn't good enough for the 49ers than why do you think he is good enough for the Colts. To me he is almost the same player we had with Brissett scared to make the tight widow throws. 

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

OFF

QB Garappolo 

TE Kittle, MAC, Granson

RB JT, Mack, Jackson

DEF

SS Willis, Blackmon

FS Mathieu(FA), Odum 

I think you could have just stopped your headline with….      CRAZY!!    

That would’ve worked just fine.    

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I'd rather have Brissett than Wentz, honestly... Wentz is the most overpaid QB in the NFL...

Your hatred towards Wentz is blinding the obvious. Jacoby Started two seasons here and Carson Almost had more touchdowns in 1 season than Jacoby had with two seasons together. 

1 hour ago, JlynRN said:

Why are some people so intent on getting rid of Nelson??  Arguably the best player on the offense.  We do that, and the Colts will be the laughingstock of the entire sports world. 

Taylor is the best player on the offense and it’s not even close. Nelson is great but the drop off from him to Reed was acceptable at a fraction of the cost. Plus, he helped sink us in those last 2 games. * him.

36 minutes ago, Knuckles79 said:

Your hatred towards Wentz is blinding the obvious. Jacoby Started two seasons here and Carson Almost had more touchdowns in 1 season than Jacoby had with two seasons together. 

Agreed. I hate Wentz but he’s still an upgrade over Jacoby (as much as I like him).

5 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

OFF

QB Garappolo 

TE Kittle, MAC, Granson

RB JT, Mack, Jackson

DEF

SS Willis, Blackmon

FS Mathieu(FA), Odum 

No possible way you’re serious 

4 hours ago, IrsaysArmy said:

I think a lot of fans are going to be upset when we don’t make the big changes that people are expecting. I don’t think we even need to make any big changes. Grab an edge and a WR somewhere. Maybe draft a corner and tight end and let’s roll.

Agreed

8 hours ago, JlynRN said:

Why are some people so intent on getting rid of Nelson??  Arguably the best player on the offense.  We do that, and the Colts will be the laughingstock of the entire sports world. 

You really don't think Reed is a solid gaurd. We ran good without Nelson this year. What makes us a laughing stock is replacing our old Oline coach and having no pocket or pass blocking. But LT is no important. Just having a stud gaurd who played at ND. Let Ballard keep sinking money into weak positions and ignore those of need. lmao Nelson is great but it wouldn't hurt us to sign a great LT and let Nelson go...Pryor has potential, but releasing Nelson isn't as bad as a move as people make it sound. Being the best G is like second to being the best Kicker or Punter...G is not a vital Position LT and C and RT Trump it...we can't keep handicapping ourselves with paying nonvital positions..just to have a all pros who can't even get us to the playoffs...our pass pro was atrocious...

We aren't trading Taylor, Nelson, Leonard, Defo, Paye, Smith, or Pittman. Everyone else's butt would be on alert if I was the GM though. I am pretty sure Ballard would agree with me. Now if we wanted to cut ties with Wentz and maybe trade Hines and Moore along with our #1 2023 pick for an upgrade at QB I can see that. I talked to another friend of mine last night. I asked him who would you rather have Jimmy G or Carson, or even Carr or Carson? He chose Jimmy G over all 3 without hesitation and he is 65 years old. I asked him why, he said because he is smarter than those guys, gets rid of the ball quick, has won big playoff games, and would fit our offense perfectly. He has been watching football since the 60's lmao .

51 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

You really don't think Reed is a solid gaurd. We ran good without Nelson this year. What makes us a laughing stock is replacing our old Oline coach and having no pocket or pass blocking. But LT is no important. Just having a stud gaurd who played at ND. Let Ballard keep sinking money into weak positions and ignore those of need. lmao Nelson is great but it wouldn't hurt us to sign a great LT and let Nelson go...Pryor has potential, but releasing Nelson isn't as bad as a move as people make it sound. Being the best G is like second to being the best Kicker or Punter...G is not a vital Position LT and C and RT Trump it...we can't keep handicapping ourselves with paying nonvital positions..just to have a all pros who can't even get us to the playoffs...our pass pro was atrocious...

I really do understand the logic behind what you are saying.  It’s just not going to happen.  We can’t trade Nelson for more than a 2nd or 3rd.  No GM is going to give up premium picks and a huge contract to a guard.  If we let him walk we will probably get a end of 3rd comp pick.  I’m sure Ballard understands the culture of this team and how shipping an all pro out of town over money may hurt it. 

I don’t like the idea of paying a guard 20million a year when we have so many holes at premium positions.  However, we don’t have anyone else to pay instead.  If we had a LT, top WR or DE also due for a contract it would probably make more sense.  You just can’t kick your best employees out bc you don’t want to give them money they earned.  It could be catastrophic on moral but that is for Ballard to decide. Nelson has earned a huge raise bc he is in the running for best guard to ever play the game. So I see the logic behind paying him as well.  It’s a tough decision that sucks but is what it is. You pay your own and find their ways to make up the difference. 

11 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

OFF

QB Garappolo 

TE Kittle, MAC, Granson

RB JT, Mack, Jackson

DEF

SS Willis, Blackmon

FS Mathieu(FA), Odum 

Chicken Cuckoo GIF by happydog

9 hours ago, boo2202 said:

So tired of this every offseason. It’s time for ballard to make the most important decision of his colts GM tenure. Find us a QB! I don’t care that luck retired and you got dealt a bad hand. It’s time to figure it out. 

Because it's such an easy thing to do right?

11 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

OFF

QB Garappolo 

TE Kittle, MAC, Granson

RB JT, Mack, Jackson

DEF

SS Willis, Blackmon

FS Mathieu(FA), Odum 

200.gif

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We aren't trading Taylor, Nelson, Leonard, Defo, Paye, Smith, or Pittman. Everyone else's butt would be on alert if I was the GM though. I am pretty sure Ballard would agree with me. Now if we wanted to cut ties with Wentz and maybe trade Hines and Moore along with our #1 2023 pick for an upgrade at QB I can see that. I talked to another friend of mine last night. I asked him who would you rather have Jimmy G or Carson, or even Carr or Carson? He chose Jimmy G over all 3 without hesitation and he is 65 years old. I asked him why, he said because he is smarter than those guys, gets rid of the ball quick, has won big playoff games, and would fit our offense perfectly. He has been watching football since the 60's lmao .

I agree with your list of guys who are untouchable.  Maybe Jimmy is a better version of Wentz but I’m not over impressed. I think the 49ers won last weekend and against GB in NFC championship despite him.  I don’t see enough gain to warrant eating Wentz salary plus giving up more assets for what I view as maybe marginally better. We have two many holes on this team to move basically sideways and maybe a little ahead. Saying all that Jimmy is still 45-18 as a starter and that’s really hard to argue with.

Did they go get Lance bc they also feel they are winning despite him or did they view Lance as a once in a generation talent?  Are they making a huge mistake like they did with Alex Smith and Kapernick?  Man, I don’t know how to judge all of that and honestly need to watch more film

4 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I agree with your list of guys who are untouchable.  Maybe Jimmy is a better version of Wentz but I’m not over impressed. I think the 49ers won last weekend and against GB in NFC championship despite him.  I don’t see enough gain to warrant eating Wentz salary plus giving up more assets for what I view as maybe marginally better. We have two many holes on this team to move basically sideways and maybe a little ahead. Saying all that Jimmy is still 45-18 as a starter and that’s really hard to argue with.

Did they go get Lance bc they also feel they are winning despite him or did they view Lance as a once in a generation talent?  Are they making a huge mistake like they did with Alex Smith and Kapernick?  Man, I don’t know how to judge all of that and honestly need to watch more film

I guess I don't get paying a G top dollar even if he is the best. It's like paying your kicker and Punter top dollar... G is one of the least important positions out there. I rather slove the LT long term and have Reed be left gaurd. We can sign Q and still have Pass Pro issues...why not try to get a quicker release QB or LT that can pass block. Wentz is 7 years in he isn't gonna improve his release and fix his knack for desperate plays instead of throwing it away...he has a Cannon and wheels outside of that he just lacks playoff potential...

11 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I think they are banking on Lance being the next Lamar possibly and being better than Jimmy. Not really sure but it could back fire on them. Lance has great talent so we will see. If I am SF fan I would feel ok going into tonight's game with Jimmy and that is a tough place to win at. Do I think they will win, no but it wouldn't shock me if SF did win.

The thing I see in Jimmy is, he just finds odd ways to win much like Harbaugh did in 1995 and 1996 here. Alex Smith did the same thing for many years. If we stick with Carson I would be fine with that but those last 2 games soured me and soured many other people I know.

13 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I guess I don't get paying a G top dollar even if he is the best. It's like paying your kicker and Punter top dollar... G is one of the least important positions out there. I rather slove the LT long term and have Reed be left gaurd. We can sign Q and still have Pass Pro issues...why not try to get a quicker release QB or LT that can pass block. Wentz is 7 years in he isn't gonna improve his release and fix his knack for desperate plays instead of throwing it away...he has a Cannon and wheels outside of that he just lacks playoff potential...

I don’t think signing Nelson is what will prevent us from getting a good LT or QB.  We would need to trade for either of those so the question is Nelson, 1-2 first round picks and other mid round picks or starters PLUS a big contract worth it?  Honestly I don’t think anyone that is worth that price is available.  So put that way heck no.  

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think they are banking on Lance being the next Lamar possibly and being better than Jimmy. Not really sure but it could back fire on them. Lance has great talent so we will see. If I am SF fan I would feel ok going into tonight's game with Jimmy and that is a tough place to win at. Do I think they will win, no but it wouldn't shock me if SF did win.

The thing I see in Jimmy is, he just finds odd ways to win much like Harbaugh did in 1995 and 1996 here. Alex Smith did the same thing for many years. If we stick with Carson I would be fine with that but those last 2 games soured me and soured many other people I know.

Before the last two games I felt comfortable going with Wentz vs anyone. There wasn’t a team we couldn’t beat when we were rolling.  I thought the issues were elsewhere on the roster and coaches. I get those last two games soured a lot of people but I think Covid has a lot to do with it. I finally got it and the biggest thing for me was the fatigue. I was just unbelievably tired and after a hour of doing normal activities I would need to rest. I get these are world class athletes but I still think it slowed them down.  

Maybe Jimmy is the better player but we are so close to being elite I don’t think it’s worth the assets it would cost to make the move. We need a another playmaker on both sides of the ball and continuity more than anything. 

8 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I don’t think signing Nelson is what will prevent us from getting a good LT or QB.  We would need to trade for either of those so the question is Nelson, 1-2 first round picks and other mid round picks or starters PLUS a big contract worth it?  Honestly I don’t think anyone that is worth that price is available.  So put that way heck no.  

I would trade Nelson for the player not the picks. Either you get your QB or LT in the trade or don't do it. If you package Nelson with Hines and Moore your unloading money at positions of less need. We have too much money at G, RB2, Nickel CB. Mack can be number 2 rb Jackson 3 rb. I.Rogers can play Nickel good for sure... And we would get Our future QB and TE or what ever a team will offer with the QB...

Archived