Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF: FA rankings (QB, WR, and TE)

EastStreet

PFF is coming out with a lot of their end of year stuff. Unit rankings, FA ranks, etc...

Since a lot of folks are high on signing a WR and TE, included both along with QB.

Mo is loan Colt ranked in either. 

Bad QB group lol.

I''ll post the T ranks when pub'd. 

QB

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-nfl-free-agency-rankings-quarterbacks

WR

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-nfl-free-agency-rankings-wide-receivers

TE

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-nfl-free-agency-rankings-tight-ends

9. MO ALIE-COX

PFF Free Agency Rank: 96
2021 Snaps: 608
2021 PFF grade: 66.3 (29th of 74)

Alie-Cox has put together an extremely impressive first four years of his NFL career considering he was a college basketball player at VCU before converting to tight end and playing organized football for the first time since his freshman year of high school. He’s still learning the nuances of the game but hasn’t let that slow him down, with four straight seasons grading above 65.0. Operating behind Jack Doyle has limited Alie-Cox’s receiving production, but perhaps he could become more of a focal point going forward.

Projected contract: 3 yrs — $7m avg/yr

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

PFF is coming out with a lot of their end of year stuff. Unit rankings, FA ranks, etc...

Since a lot of folks are high on signing a WR and TE, included both along with QB.

Mo is loan Colt ranked in either. 

Bad QB group lol.

I''ll post the T ranks when pub'd. 

QB

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-nfl-free-agency-rankings-quarterbacks

WR

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-nfl-free-agency-rankings-wide-receivers

TE

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-nfl-free-agency-rankings-tight-ends

9. MO ALIE-COX

PFF Free Agency Rank: 96
2021 Snaps: 608
2021 PFF grade: 66.3 (29th of 74)

Alie-Cox has put together an extremely impressive first four years of his NFL career considering he was a college basketball player at VCU before converting to tight end and playing organized football for the first time since his freshman year of high school. He’s still learning the nuances of the game but hasn’t let that slow him down, with four straight seasons grading above 65.0. Operating behind Jack Doyle has limited Alie-Cox’s receiving production, but perhaps he could become more of a focal point going forward.

Projected contract: 3 yrs — $7m avg/yr

Wow... That honestly might be the worst QB free agent group I've ever seen. I mean, Winston is okay, but if he's the #1 choice? Sheesh...

15 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Wow... That honestly might be the worst QB free agent group I've ever seen. I mean, Winston is okay, but if he's the #1 choice? Sheesh...

Like I've said in various Wentz hater threads..... It's a bad year to go QB shopping.

The bad FA and super bad draft class... just means the price goes up even for the bad/mediocre.... 

Just now, EastStreet said:

Like I've said in various Wentz hater threads..... It's a bad year to go QB shopping.

The bad FA and super bad draft class... just means the price goes up even for the bad/mediocre.... 

Agreed. I think sticking with Wentz is about the only realistic option for next year. I would not consider any of those QBs an upgrade. 

PFF pub'd an article on one FA for every single team....

For the Colts, they picked..... I don't like it, but can't say I'd hate it either... 

And just FYI.... They are predicting 1year/8M.... Which I could live with. 

He'd be a massive upgrade over Pascal in the slot.

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: WR JUJU SMITH-SCHUSTER

2021 Player Grade/Rank: 59.2 (N/A)
2021 Team Position Grade/Rank: 68.2 (23rd)

Colts quarterback Carson Wentz might be the most scrutinized player in the NFL, and perhaps rightfully so, but his lack of receiving options this season flew very under the radar. Second-year wideout Michael Pittman Jr. cemented his status as a clear No. 1 this season, going over 1,000 yards receiving and earning a 79.9 receiving grade that ranked 18th. 

Outside of Pittman Jr., legendary Colts wideout T.Y. Hilton once again struggled to stay healthy, as did 2019 second-round receiver Parris Campbell. The Colts' top two tight ends are also set to be free agents, leaving a huge void on an offense already looking for more.

Smith-Schuster is a sure-handed slot receiver who can feast underneath while Pittman Jr. works the outside, and Wentz could certainly stand to benefit from a consistent check-down option. Smith-Schuster has dropped just 4.8% of targets in his NFL regular-season career (ranking above the 75th percentile among qualifying wide receivers), and he was able to return several months early from what was expected to be season-ending shoulder surgery, so he should be 100% come Week 1, 2022.

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Agreed. I think sticking with Wentz is about the only realistic option for next year. I would not consider any of those QBs an upgrade. 

Yup. It's the smart thing to do IMO.

The only realistic option is a trade, but even that would likely be impacted by the overly inflated value of QBs this year.

8 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

With  Irsay saying  everyone needs to be all in JuJu does not fit that bill. He cares more about being a tik tok star and stomping on logos. Plus he has injury concerns.

meh...

I'll take a tik tok star that can separate and catch in the slot, over an all-pro blocker.... lol...

His injury this year was a shoulder issue. No big deal. And Big Ben was just a bad QB too this year, so not a big deal. 

Like I said, not a JuJu lover, but he'd be an obvious upgrade, and likely not break the bank. He's a quality slot. 

47 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

PFF pub'd an article on one FA for every single team....

For the Colts, they picked..... I don't like it, but can't say I'd hate it either... 

And just FYI.... They are predicting 1year/8M.... Which I could live with. 

He'd be a massive upgrade over Pascal in the slot.

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: WR JUJU SMITH-SCHUSTER

2021 Player Grade/Rank: 59.2 (N/A)
2021 Team Position Grade/Rank: 68.2 (23rd)

Colts quarterback Carson Wentz might be the most scrutinized player in the NFL, and perhaps rightfully so, but his lack of receiving options this season flew very under the radar. Second-year wideout Michael Pittman Jr. cemented his status as a clear No. 1 this season, going over 1,000 yards receiving and earning a 79.9 receiving grade that ranked 18th. 

Outside of Pittman Jr., legendary Colts wideout T.Y. Hilton once again struggled to stay healthy, as did 2019 second-round receiver Parris Campbell. The Colts' top two tight ends are also set to be free agents, leaving a huge void on an offense already looking for more.

Smith-Schuster is a sure-handed slot receiver who can feast underneath while Pittman Jr. works the outside, and Smith-Schuster has dropped just 4.8% of targets in his NFL regular-season career (ranking above the 75th percentile among qualifying wide receivers), and he was able to return several months early from what was expected to be season-ending shoulder surgery, so he should be 100% come Week 1, 2022.

First.  Always, thank you for including PFF information.

I think this write up is spot on about many different things.  One thing that stands out to me is 

Wentz could certainly stand to benefit from a consistent check-down option.

A QB needs a consistent option.  CONSISTENT.  Not just any receiver that's open on All 22 on a given play.  Too much emphasis is being placed on pure scheme, and not on the player relationships, IMO.   Can't have Hines open on the check down, then Pascal, then JT.  Can't have Pascal in the slot, then TY, then PIttman.  A QB under pressure needs more consistency than that.

Manning always had Marvin on the right. and Reggie on the left.  Not just for a season, but basically their entire careers together.  Imagine PMs comfort under stress knowing what was over there on the right, and what was on the left, and Dallas was somewhere in the middle.  I don't think that enough is said about QBs not having that level of consistency in options.

Compare that to Wentz having receivers, TEs (either MO or Doyle or Granson on any given play) different RBs on any given play, running different patterns based upon what the SCHEME called for on any given down.

How the heck is any QB going to know who the * is where and when, especially when he's running for his life?  Is he really expected to keep it all straight?  Manning never had that level of complexity thrown at him, and he's supposed to be the smartest brained QB ever.

Too much scheme.  Too much trying too play chess from the sidelines.  JMO.  

34 minutes ago, DougDew said:

First.  Always, thank you for including PFF information.

I think this write up is spot on about many different things.  One thing that stands out to me is 

Wentz could certainly stand to benefit from a consistent check-down option.

A QB needs a consistent option.  CONSISTENT.  Not just any receiver that's open on All 22 on a given play.  Too much emphasis is being placed on pure scheme, and not on the player relationships, IMO.   Can't have Hines open on the check down, then Pascal, then JT.  Can't have Pascal in the slot, then TY, then PIttman.  A QB under pressure needs more consistency than that.

Manning always had Marvin on the right. and Reggie on the left.  Not just for a season, but basically their entire careers together.  Imagine PMs comfort under stress knowing what was over there on the right, and what was on the left, and Dallas was somewhere in the middle.  I don't think that enough is said about QBs not having that level of consistency in options.

Compare that to Wentz having receivers, TEs (either MO or Doyle or Granson on any given play) different RBs on any given play, running different patterns based upon what the SCHEME called for on any given down.

How the heck is any QB going to know who the * is where and when, especially when he's running for his life?  Is he really expected to keep it all straight?  Manning never had that level of complexity thrown at him, and he's supposed to be the smartest brained QB ever.

Too much scheme.  Too much trying too play chess from the sidelines.  JMO.  

When you have an elite short throw dealer like Rivers, it's fine to have sub optimal talent. 

For most QBs, they need chemistry with a pair of guys that consistently get open. If you've looked at a lot of all22 data, in almost every play for every team, there is a moment when one guy is open. What's important though is that one of the first two reads is open consistently. And the check down, or hot read, is harder than most folks think when the OL sucks, and especially when the LT sucks. 

I've posted the 20 vs 21 WR and TE comps for the top 5 guys. Some did better with Wentz, some better with Rivers. Both are very different QBs, and need very different things. And one thing for sure, Rivers with a bad OL (we have plenty of historical data to draw from), is just not good with a bad OL... So comparing them is not even really intellectually honest. 

Not saying Wentz will ever be elite, but he will be better with a better LT, and he will be better with a legit #2. 

4 hours ago, tvturner said:

Probably because QBs are paid $100m+ to learn that

Manning had the same receivers for 7 years.  Not only the same receivers, but always had Marvin's skills from the right, and Reggie's skills coming from the left, and Dallas somewhere in the middle, or Stokely there too.  The same receivers in the same spots in the field...game after game...down after down.

He didn't have to look for TY over there one play, then way over there on the next.  Or TYs skills replaced with Parris for a few plays, then back to TY for the next 4.

Or Mo one play, Dole for 3, then an entirely different skill set in Granson for 2 plays.

It works if your $100m QB is ADHD I guess, LOL.

Too much scheming.

Is it Frank's fault for over scheming?  Yes.  Is it Ballard's fault for not getting consistent receiving talent to reduce the need to over-scheme?  Yes.

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

When you have an elite short throw dealer like Rivers, it's fine to have sub optimal talent. 

For most QBs, they need chemistry with a pair of guys that consistently get open. If you've looked at a lot of all22 data, in almost every play for every team, there is a moment when one guy is open. What's important though is that one of the first two reads is open consistently. And the check down, or hot read, is harder than most folks think when the OL sucks, and especially when the LT sucks. 

I've posted the 20 vs 21 WR and TE comps for the top 5 guys. Some did better with Wentz, some better with Rivers. Both are very different QBs, and need very different things. And one thing for sure, Rivers with a bad OL (we have plenty of historical data to draw from), is just not good with a bad OL... So comparing them is not even really intellectually honest. 

Not saying Wentz will ever be elite, but he will be better with a better LT, and he will be better with a legit #2. 

Are there stats on something like this:  How often was Wentz playing with the same receivers on the field from the previous down or series?  Compared to the highly rated QBs?

Just thinking out loud, I'll bet Mahomes never had to play with Kelce or Hill off the field very much.  With his play extensions, he always figured that he could find one of the two.  That is a level of comfort that Wentz could not enjoy.  No wonder he would looked rushed or panicked, or even seemingly not knowing who to throw the ball to.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Manning had the same receivers for 7 years.  Not only the same receivers, but always had Marvin's skills from the right, and Reggie's skills coming from the left, and Dallas somewhere in the middle, or Stokely there too.  The same receivers in the same spots in the field...game after game...down after down.

He didn't have to look for TY over there one play, then way over there on the next.  Or TYs skills replaced with Parris for a few plays, then back to TY for the next 4.

Or Mo one play, Dole for 3, then an entirely different skill set in Granson for 2 plays.

It works if your $100m QB is ADHD I guess, LOL.

Too much scheming.

Is it Frank's fault for over scheming?  Yes.  Is it Ballard's fault for not getting consistent receiving talent to reduce the need to over-scheme?  Yes.

Frank is forced to scheme because of the lack of talent. We need guys that just are dogs and get open on their own.

10 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Frank is forced to scheme because of the lack of talent. We need guys that just are dogs and get open on their own.

A receiver getting open isn't enough.  I think QBs trust certain players.  Know what certain players will do.  I just think a QB seeing different jersey numbers in different spots all of the time adds to the rushed and panicked play.

In the Cards game, Wentz and Patmon worked on that TD play in practice.  Wentz told Frank to run Patmon on that play.  He looked for him, and threw a great pass.

Stuff like that hasn't been happening enough between QBs and receivers.  Frank has had to do too much from the sidelines and shouldn't have to.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

A receiver getting open isn't enough.  I think QBs trust certain players.  Know what certain players will do.  I just think a QB seeing different jersey numbers in different spots all of the time adds to the rushed and panicked play.

In the Cards game, Wentz and Patmon worked on that TD play in practice.  Wentz told Frank to run Patmon on that play.  He looked for him, and threw a great pass.

Stuff like that hasn't been happening enough between QBs and receivers.

Let’s be real here too. Having 4 different QB in 4 years doesn’t help the situation  either. Players have to play with each to develop that chemistry.  This is one reason Carson needs a second year. He also was learning a new system. It’s got to be extremely difficult on the HC to be dealing with different one every year too. Starting over every TC. I get your point though about needing players in the same spots all the time. 

6 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

I'd like to see us target C.Kirk, played a ton of slot last season and produced. He wouldnt be expensive by most estimates either.

Kirk would be a nice fit but according to this analysis he would cost over 3.5m more than Schuster.  Schuster seems more like a Ballard signing cost wise.  Schuster turned down the Ravens and Chiefs last year to stay with the Steelers.  Al outdoor teams.  Maybe he’s ready for a dome team now.  If Wentz is our guy He and Ertz would be nice additions for him.  And they would be affordable.

21 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I do like Wiston over Wentz, we are looking at pff grades and they ranked him higher too

Doesnt seem like we will go after him though.  Mariota vs CW might make an interesting competition but not a clear upgrade

Mr guess is unless Wilson becomes available Saints will bring him back. He was playing well before he injured his knee.

I'm interested if club sees Michel Jacobson as a MAC clone and uses him as our 3rd TE, he just switched back over to football last summer (He last played in h.s), was a star at Iowa State and Nebraska in hoops. Has the size at 6'7, doesnt have MAC thick build so blocking may not be at that level.  If that is the case and we use Granson as our Burton and Jacobson as our MAC we need that stud TE.....

https://www.seahawks.com/news/seahawks-sign-former-iowa-state-basketball-player-michael-jacobson

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Wonder what kind of draft pick it would take to get him.

This is another report that is suggesting he could be moved this off season.  He could be cut as well if he doesn’t agree to a pay cut.   He wouldn’t demand a high draft pick under those circumstances.  

22 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I think I kinda disagree on the Bolded...kinda.

I think the first three on list are,   plus Fitzmagic.

Like others said list is far from impressive but so was Wentz. 

I seriously doubt colts move on from Wentz though, and strong reason for that is financial reasons.

Just read another report concerning the potential trade of Calvin Ridley of the Falcons.  The article mentioned the Falcons are cash strapped and in need of OL help.  The consensus price among analysts to acquire Ridley would be a conditional 2nd rd pick due to his playing status last year.  I wonder if offering Kelly and a 3rd would do it.

On 1/21/2022 at 7:52 AM, DougDew said:

Are there stats on something like this:  How often was Wentz playing with the same receivers on the field from the previous down or series?  Compared to the highly rated QBs?

Just thinking out loud, I'll bet Mahomes never had to play with Kelce or Hill off the field very much.  With his play extensions, he always figured that he could find one of the two.  That is a level of comfort that Wentz could not enjoy.  No wonder he would looked rushed or panicked, or even seemingly not knowing who to throw the ball to.

Nope, not aware of who might have something like that. 

I think calling way too many Pascal targets hurt, but I also felt like we had very little route diversity. 

It's like we became even more allergic to slant, said, and 9s at times this year. 

Just now, EastStreet said:

PFF just released the OT FA stack...

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-nfl-free-agency-rankings-offensive-tackles

Fisher projection.. 3years, 16M/year.... 

Nah, I'll pass dawg... 

I don’t see that market for Fish…. I don’t see who pays that coming off the season he just had.  

Im thinking $10-12m per year will get some interest.   

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Nope, not aware of who might have something like that. 

I think calling way too many Pascal targets hurt, but I also felt like we had very little route diversity. 

It's like we became even more allergic to slant, said, and 9s at times this year. 

That's too bad.  With all of the talk in the media world about needing good QBs and good receivers, from a talent measurement perspective, it would be helpful to know how many snaps a QB played with the same receivers on the field.  A chemistry measurement perspective.  I bet the Colts would rank pretty low in the NFL from a QB/receiver playing-time-together measurement

The route running limitations sounds a bit like a chess player play-caller not having enough confidence in the specific matchups based upon pregame analysis.  A matchup has a less than average chance at succeeding, so he's not going to call it very much.  I doubt its because he forgot about the play. LOL.   Some of that also has to be on the QB though, not even looking in a certain direction quick enough since he feels there is a low likelihood of success. 

I know a lot of people have been critical of PFF in the past but not much else to compare to. My question here is how can MAC be rated as high as he is with less than a catch and a half per game this season? Don't get me wrong, I like the kid and feel he is way underutilized but PFFs rating I don't get.

58 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I know a lot of people have been critical of PFF in the past but not much else to compare to. My question here is how can MAC be rated as high as he is with less than a catch and a half per game this season? Don't get me wrong, I like the kid and feel he is way underutilized but PFFs rating I don't get.

I assume that it means he's available for targeting if the QB looks his way...Mo did his job correctly, but the lack of catches is on others.

I don't get why Frank would be criticized and not Wentz for that.  Unless Frank is supposed to design plays for Mo being the first read.  But to whom the ball is thrown to first comes down to knowing defensive alignments and defensive play calls, and nobody knows that until 15 seconds are left on the play clock.

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

That's too bad.  With all of the talk in the media world about needing good QBs and good receivers, from a talent measurement perspective, it would be helpful to know how many snaps a QB played with the same receivers on the field.  A chemistry measurement perspective.  I bet the Colts would rank pretty low in the NFL from a QB/receiver playing-time-together measurement

The route running limitations sounds a bit like a chess player play-caller not having enough confidence in the specific matchups based upon pregame analysis.  A matchup has a less than average chance at succeeding, so he's not going to call it very much.  I doubt its because he forgot about the play. LOL.   Some of that also has to be on the QB though, not even looking in a certain direction quick enough since he feels there is a low likelihood of success. 

I'd say that Pittman and Pascal where on the field plenty with Wentz, but the 3rd most snaps varied a lot over the year. The starting OL varied a lot more. But the OL performance, and the fact Pascal was getting near #1 snaps, is just not good for any passing game.

The route limitations are all on Reich. Sorry, it just is. Pitt is capable of running every route. We saw him be very successful on slants and 50/50s, yet he was over saturated with possession stuff. TY is very very capable of slants and 9s, and other space routes, but he was over saturated with possession stuff. Why you would do that to a guy who's probably not even 5-10, is beyond me. And that's what Reich has done for 3 years now. It's not just this year. He's just conservative... And not buying the limited QB thing either. Wentz is not a quick trigger L1 guys. He's never been that guy. He's a play extending L2/3 guy. But Reich pounded the round L2/3 peg into a L1 hole. 

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I'd say that Pittman and Pascal where on the field plenty with Wentz, but the 3rd most snaps varied a lot over the year. The starting OL varied a lot more. But the OL performance, and the fact Pascal was getting near #1 snaps, is just not good for any passing game.

The route limitations are all on Reich. Sorry, it just is. Pitt is capable of running every route. We saw him be very successful on slants and 50/50s, yet he was over saturated with possession stuff. TY is very very capable of slants and 9s, and other space routes, but he was over saturated with possession stuff. Why you would do that to a guy who's probably not even 5-10, is beyond me. And that's what Reich has done for 3 years now. It's not just this year. He's just conservative... And not buying the limited QB thing either. Wentz is not a quick trigger L1 guys. He's never been that guy. He's a play extending L2/3 guy. But Reich pounded the round L2/3 peg into a L1 hole. 

Wasn't Pascal the 2nd best receiver on the team for most of the season?  That's why his total snaps are high.  And that's the problem with the O.....Pascal is 2nd best receiver.

And, snaps are kind of a misleading stat.  He's also on the field because of his "run blocking" when JT was supposed to be the focus.  When he's on the field for run blocking, it doesn't really build towards the chemistry with the QB.

Need better L2/3 guys to be available for more L2/L3 plays, IMO.  An ongoing problem since Ebron shut himself down.  

What is your assessment for the dropoff in Hines effectiveness from last year?  Change in play calling from the sidelines, or change in QB?

52 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Wasn't Pascal the 2nd best receiver on the team for most of the season?  That's why his total snaps are high.  And that's the problem with the O.....Pascal is 2nd best receiver.

And, snaps are kind of a misleading stat.  He's also on the field because of his "run blocking" when JT was supposed to be the focus.  When he's on the field for run blocking, it doesn't really build towards the chemistry with the QB.

Need better L2/3 guys to be available for more L2/L3 plays, IMO.  An ongoing problem since Ebron shut himself down.  

What is your assessment for the dropoff in Hines effectiveness from last year?  Change in play calling from the sidelines, or change in QB?

I don't think Pascal is the 2nd best. Just 2nd most snaps. Even when TY was back and healthy, his snaps were very low in some games. When he was a part of the O, TY had some very good games. That's just game plan and personnel usage.

Hines' drop off IMO was just fewer snaps, less run touches, and less targets. I think he went into Reich's doghouse a bit after he missed the easy one on the sideline. I hated that we didn't use him more in the seam, and on slants out of the backfield. Pretty much wasted after giving him a top 10 RB contract. 

Archived