Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Accountability

CR91

Kind of a strange word because it's thrown around a lot, however holds a strong value when it comes to expectations. For years, I listened to Jim Irsay and Colin hype up the colts about how it's built and a potential dynasty, however when you pull back the sheets you have a football team that not only can't win it's own division, but can't even make the playoffs when it's now 7 teams and an additional game. Now you can go several different directions on who you think should be held accountable and obviously the popular answer is Wentz who I will get to in a minute, but I honestly think the Colts are victims of their own principles. They want to believe they can win with their own guys and refuse to acknowledge that what their doing is not enough. Don't get me wrong Ballard has built a very talented team, however I feel like some of his stances is holding the team back. One example is refusing to acknowledge there's a problem when there is obviously a problem. You go back in the draft and all you heard was we didn't wanna pigeon hole ourselves with getting a LT which is fine, but what you do instead is sign several very bad Ts and then put all your chips in on a guy coming back from an Achilles injury 5 months removed from surgery. Now perhaps Ballard thought AC wouldn't retire after signing a two year contract which I can understand, but everyone knew it was a possibility especially with all the injuries he was dealing with. That to me just comes off as unprepared in filling a very important part of your team. Another example is the pass rush. Now I get it obviously Ballard wanted to see growth in his young pass rushers which is fine, however that doesn't mean you get rid of all your veteran pass rushers. The pass rush at times looked very good, but then you get a pass rush that was non-existent especially when your best pass rusher is constantly getting double teamed with almost no one winning their one on ones. 

Now when it comes to the Wentz conversation, I honestly don't think the colts did enough in terms of weapons to help him. Yes you have Taylor and Pittman who are incredible talents, but after that you have young inconsistent talent or aging past their prime talent. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Wentz should not be blamed. What happened in Jacksonville and vs the Raiders was largely on him, but I'm not going to act like Wentz was terrible this year because he wasn't. I'm also going to look at the play calling as well. How many times did we see especially in the second half of the season teams were only run blitzing to stop our run and we never took advantage of it? Instead all we did was 5 to 7 step dropbacks right into a sack or Wentz getting out of danger and forced to make a bad throw. That's on Frank and is refusal to help Fisher when he obviously couldn't win one on one by himself without help.

At the end of the day, the colts problems remain the same as last year;

LT

Lack of Weapons and Pass rush

Inconsistency at QB in terms of long-term being answered.

Accountability needs to be taken. 

In a more serious response, the players need to hold themselves accountable. This doesn’t mean they pull themselves out of a game ala Antonio Brown, but better players are never satisfied and hold themselves to high standards. If they make a mistake, the only person who can honestly fix that mistake is their self. They need to put in the extra time and work on improving. These are grown adult men. They should already know this, but it’s not as easy as it seems. If it was every player in the NFL would be a success story. 

Good post. I've been thinking about that word "accountability" that both Irsay and Ballard used in their recent interviews/pressconferences... 

I wonder what accountability looks like. It's easy to say "that's on me" like all of Irsay, Ballard and Reich said... But what does it mean? What are the consequences for that thing that you did(or didn't do) that's on you? Should there be consequences of some sort? I'm not saying in all cases there should be significant consequences(like someone losing his job), but what does accountability look like in the case of the 2021 Colts abject disaster?

Has anyone actually learned anything from this? Because from what I heard from Ballard for example I didn't hear anything to suggest that a lesson has been learned... at least not in the grand scheme of things. For example, the biggest things philosophically Ballard talked about - he actually doubled down on those mistakes - he still thinks his team should be built from the inside ... like we are in 1980 or something... he still undersells the importance of WRs and thinks we have plenty of talent there, etc. So what was the lesson learned? That Wentz has to take the layups? Was that it? If anyone heard any deeper self-reflection from the people on top than Wentz needs to take the layups and everyone needs to be all in, please share it... because if those are the "lessons" we learned, nothing significant is going to change.

Or maybe people don't think anything significant needs to change and that the philosophy in talent acquisition, roster construction and the philosophy of playcalling and the use of the players are actually good. I can understand that too, but then don't expect major changes of any sort. Maybe you can hope we get more lucky with the draft or the moves we make, but that's about it, if we have no problems with the big picture of how this team is structured and operated. 

Having a OK-good team is not the end of the world. Some franchises have been dreaming about achieving that as a consistent level for decades. But at least lets be honest that we are OK with that if we don't want any major changes. 

52 minutes ago, stitches said:

Good post. I've been thinking about that word "accountability" that both Irsay and Ballard used in their recent interviews/pressconferences... 

I wonder what accountability looks like. It's easy to say "that's on me" like all of Irsay, Ballard and Reich said... But what does it mean? What are the consequences for that thing that you did(or didn't do) that's on you? Should there be consequences of some sort? I'm not saying in all cases there should be significant consequences(like someone losing his job), but what does accountability look like in the case of the 2021 Colts abject disaster?

Has anyone actually learned anything from this? Because from what I heard from Ballard for example I didn't hear anything to suggest that a lesson has been learned... at least not in the grand scheme of things. For example, the biggest things philosophically Ballard talked about - he actually doubled down on those mistakes - he still thinks his team should be built from the inside ... like we are in 1980 or something... he still undersells the importance of WRs and thinks we have plenty of talent there, etc. So what was the lesson learned? That Wentz has to take the layups? Was that it? If anyone heard any deeper self-reflection from the people on top than Wentz needs to take the layups and everyone needs to be all in, please share it... because if those are the "lessons" we learned, nothing significant is going to change.

Or maybe people don't think anything significant needs to change and that the philosophy in talent acquisition, roster construction and the philosophy of playcalling and the use of the players are actually good. I can understand that too, but then don't expect major changes of any sort. Maybe you can hope we get more lucky with the draft or the moves we make, but that's about it, if we have no problems with the big picture of how this team is structured and operated. 

Having a OK-good team is not the end of the world. Some franchises have been dreaming about achieving that as a consistent level for decades. But at least lets be honest that we are OK with that if we don't want any major changes. 

I think Ballard has mentioned in both of his media things he has done is the evaluation takes 4-6 weeks and he has mentioned they don’t have answers yet. He and Irsay are right  it’s not smart to go fire everyone the day after. That is just a knee jerk reaction and doesn’t solve anything. We really won’t see what accountability looks like until the FA period happens. Also he mentioned a lot of moving parts with coaches is going on around the NFL so things still have to settle down. What we will never know is if Eberflus was going to be let go. They can’t let him go with him being a HC candidate  because they don’t want to hurt his chances. But will they do it if he doesn’t get any of the jobs. I get what you are saying because if assistants and coordinators aren’t being held accountable then who is. I guess we won’t find out what it really means until March. Maybe it’s ad simple as holding themselves accountable and they do a better job at getting some better players in here. There are a lot of FA on this team so there will be a lot of players not brought back and you can call that accountability too.

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

Kind of a strange word because it's thrown around a lot, however holds a strong value when it comes to expectations. For years, I listened to Jim Irsay and Colin hype up the colts about how it's built and a potential dynasty, however when you pull back the sheets you have a football team that not only can't win it's own division, but can't even make the playoffs when it's now 7 teams and an additional game. Now you can go several different directions on who you think should be held accountable and obviously the popular answer is Wentz who I will get to in a minute, but I honestly think the Colts are victims of their own principles. They want to believe they can win with their own guys and refuse to acknowledge that what their doing is not enough. Don't get me wrong Ballard has built a very talented team, however I feel like some of his stances is holding the team back. One example is refusing to acknowledge there's a problem when there is obviously a problem. You go back in the draft and all you heard was we didn't wanna pigeon hole ourselves with getting a LT which is fine, but what you do instead is sign several very bad Ts and then put all your chips in on a guy coming back from an Achilles injury 5 months removed from surgery. Now perhaps Ballard thought AC wouldn't retire after signing a two year contract which I can understand, but everyone knew it was a possibility especially with all the injuries he was dealing with. That to me just comes off as unprepared in filling a very important part of your team. Another example is the pass rush. Now I get it obviously Ballard wanted to see growth in his young pass rushers which is fine, however that doesn't mean you get rid of all your veteran pass rushers. The pass rush at times looked very good, but then you get a pass rush that was non-existent especially when your best pass rusher is constantly getting double teamed with almost no one winning their one on ones. 

Now when it comes to the Wentz conversation, I honestly don't think the colts did enough in terms of weapons to help him. Yes you have Taylor and Pittman who are incredible talents, but after that you have young inconsistent talent or aging past their prime talent. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Wentz should not be blamed. What happened in Jacksonville and vs the Raiders was largely on him, but I'm not going to act like Wentz was terrible this year because he wasn't. I'm also going to look at the play calling as well. How many times did we see especially in the second half of the season teams were only run blitzing to stop our run and we never took advantage of it? Instead all we did was 5 to 7 step dropbacks right into a sack or Wentz getting out of danger and forced to make a bad throw. That's on Frank and is refusal to help Fisher when he obviously couldn't win one on one by himself without help.

At the end of the day, the colts problems remain the same as last year;

LT

Lack of Weapons and Pass rush

Inconsistency at QB in terms of long-term being answered.

Accountability needs to be taken. 

I think one solid DL vet would help Paye and DeFo to get freed up. Hopefully Lewis is healthy and ready, he was shining before he went down. I catch heat for saying this but we can save a lot of cash if our line was this.. 

Pryor Reed Kelly Glow Smith

Q at LG is a want more than a need at this point. That cash could land us a true FS, DL depth, and some new recieving toys. I'm afraid we are stuck with Wentz one more year. We may get two comp picks in the draft... If Frank is the guru and play creator he gets such praise for he can surely scheme up some quicker release routes and get the most out of Wentz. He has got to get rid of the ball quicker and learn to throw it away or his career is over and Frank should be on the hotseat...

6 hours ago, CR91 said:

I'm still hurt honestly, but I also needed to get that off my chest.

I’m with you on that.  But you (and a lot of others) are preaching ‘accountability’.

What do you actually want to happen?   Coaches fired?  Players cut?  What exactly do you mean?

(No disrespect, you’re a great poster.  Just want clarity)

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I’m with you on that.  But you (and a lot of others) are preaching ‘accountability’.

What do you actually want to happen?   Coaches fired?  Players cut?  What exactly do you mean?

(No disrespect, you’re a great poster.  Just want clarity)

Coaching change isn't needed. Honestly, I think team building and philosophy are our biggest issue. Drafting our own guys and waiting for them to develop is causing us to lose at critical positions. Stubbornness and refusing to adapt especially when something is not working. These things need to change.

On 1/20/2022 at 9:45 PM, TimetobringDfence! said:

I think one solid DL vet would help Paye and DeFo to get freed up. Hopefully Lewis is healthy and ready, he was shining before he went down. I catch heat for saying this but we can save a lot of cash if our line was this.. 

Pryor Reed Kelly Glow Smith

Q at LG is a want more than a need at this point. That cash could land us a true FS, DL depth, and some new recieving toys. I'm afraid we are stuck with Wentz one more year. We may get two comp picks in the draft... If Frank is the guru and play creator he gets such praise for he can surely scheme up some quicker release routes and get the most out of Wentz. He has got to get rid of the ball quicker and learn to throw it away or his career is over and Frank should be on the hotseat...

That guy was Autry.  Ballard made a huge error there.  

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Coaching change isn't needed. Honestly, I think team building and philosophy are our biggest issue. Drafting our own guys and waiting for them to develop is causing us to lose at critical positions. Stubbornness and refusing to adapt especially when something is not working. These things need to change.

So you're basically pointing at Ballard.  I'm with you on the stubbornness part if you mean he won't bring in a big name free agent to help the team.

But I can also see it from Ballards POV, he doesn't want to sacrifice the future for band aid fixes.  There has to be a middle ground.

I've been saying this for a while when it comes to accountability - Ballard has drafted several pass rushers in the last few years.  Here's where I think someone has to be accountable:  Kwity shows promise, as does Lewis, but no one is lighting it up.

So, who should be accountable - the scouts who gave those guys high grades (ultimately Ballard for using that info to pick them) or the coaches for not developing them?  I'm leaning to the coaching.  Just MHO.

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

So you're basically pointing at Ballard.  I'm with you on the stubbornness part if you mean he won't bring in a big name free agent to help the team.

But I can also see it from Ballards POV, he doesn't want to sacrifice the future for band aid fixes.  There has to be a middle ground.

I've been saying this for a while when it comes to accountability - Ballard has drafted several pass rushers in the last few years.  Here's where I think someone has to be accountable:  Kwity shows promise, as does Lewis, but no one is lighting it up.

So, who should be accountable - the scouts who gave those guys high grades (ultimately Ballard for using that info to pick them) or the coaches for not developing them?  I'm leaning to the coaching.  Just MHO.

I think it falls on both Reich and Ballard. Reich for refusing to adjust his game plan and get other players involved like Hines and Ballard for insisting on only winning with his guys and acting like Free agency doesn't help. If I had to really be mad at someone it's Reich for not helping Fisher with Josh Allen or changing the offensive approach when all the jags were doing was run blitzing. 

So what was the point again?  I find the premise puzzling. Sometimes, I wish it was the old days when fans either rooted for or gave up rooting for their team. Now everyone with a cell phone thinks have have come up with this brilliant idea that somehow the guys at the complex overlooks. If you don't think there is accountability, you are off base headed than I thought possible. Every.....single.....person.....player.....and coach is accountable.

As a fan, you have one true power....to support, or to quit supporting. Stating that there is no accountability, is a path to venting, not a path to actual change. 

All good. Just trying to add some perspective. 

On 1/21/2022 at 12:20 AM, stitches said:

Great post!

I think anyone who thinks we're going to see big changes this offseason are kidding themselves. Wentz won't be shipped anywhere or cut. We won't see any big name free agent additions. We won't see coaching changes (unless Eberflus gets a HC job :goodluck:) or playcalling changes.

To me it looks like Ballard is betting on this being a down year for our Oline and it'll be better next year. Wentz will magically change his playstyle and improve because Ballard himself pointed out he needs to take the layups. Our rookie DEs will take off and become 12+ sack-monsters. Our defense will magically fix itself and stop letting the worst offenses in the league walk all over them.

5 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

If Titans win and Autry has a huge game it’s going to make the decision even worse.

Whose to say it was Ballard's choice and not Autrys? I haven't seen (although I haven't looked) as to where Autry said he wanted to be a Colt and would have took x amount of dollars to be a Colt and Ballard say I didn't want him at that price. 

Just because something don't happen don't always mean it wasn't tried.  Kinda like being mad you didn't win the lottery but never bought a ticket. 

1 minute ago, strt182 said:

Whose to say it was Ballard's choice and not Autrys? I haven't seen (although I haven't looked) as to where Autry said he wanted to be a Colt and would have took x amount of dollars to be a Colt and Ballard say I didn't want him at that price. 

Just because something don't happen don't always mean it wasn't tried.  Kinda like being mad you didn't win the lottery but never bought a ticket. 

Autry is in record as wanting to come back. It came down to a few more guaranteed dollars I think in the 3rd year. He let him go for peanuts. This was on Ballard.

We have all been able to see this play out for a few years now. Ballard has said he will pay good home grown players regardless of position. The downside is that some positions are more more critical than others; Over time creating CAP restraints for the big 3 positions ( QB, Pass Rush, LT ). These restraints are most noticeable in Free Agency where overpayment is standard practice for impact players.  Our Center for example is making close to LT money. The team also pays a running back 6.2 mil.and is under used.
Ballard is also on record as wanting to build this team almost exclusively through the draft. For the scouting department this leaves a razor thin margin for error in order to complete the roster in the current window of it’s core players —- before you are forced into another rebuild. A true Franchise quarterback hides a lot of warts and buys more time while staying competitive.

Time will tell if Ballard can get it done with this philosophy or he adjusts his approach. He is no longer a new GM and the clock is ticking.

Archived