Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB Class of 2022 NFL Draft

1 hour ago, stitches said:

The draft network comment on their impressions of the QBs in the aftermath of the Senior Bowl. They think if there was a winner, it's definitely Willis and he's not going to last until the teens of the draft. 

They get overdrafted every year. This year will not be any different. 

24 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Ballard has repeatedly talked about the cost of trading up in the draft.    And the few times he has done it, he’s given up a 5.   For Lewis and Taylor.    

Any idea how costly it would be to move up from pick 47 into the first round?   Way more expensive for what Ballard likes.   I don’t see this at all.   I think CB might draft someone like Howell or Ridder if they fall to him, but doubt some big dramatic move up. 

PFF does a nice job in many things,  but typically not on mock drafts.  

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ballard has repeatedly talked about the cost of trading up in the draft.    And the few times he has done it, he’s given up a 5.   For Lewis and Taylor.    

He gave up a 4th for Willis if I'm not mistaken. He gave up 1st and 3d for Wentz. If he is sold on a QB I don't think trading up will be a problem for him. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Any idea how costly it would be to move up from pick 47 into the first round?   Way more expensive for what Ballard likes.   I don’t see this at all.   I think CB might draft someone like Howell or Ridder if they fall to him, but doubt some big dramatic move up. 

PFF does a nice job in many things,  but typically not on mock drafts.  

Probably a 1st rounder + something else(depending on how far into the 1st) ...  Just an example, we traded out of #26 for a mid-second(about where we are now) + future second... So it's possible it's not even a 1st... 

2 minutes ago, LiveAndLetAddai said:

"Better traits" would mean "better"?

Not necessarily. It’s the same reason Willis is getting too 10 hype now. They have the more flashy traits that look great on highlight reels, but they’re probably just as raw. Both of the top two guys play in QB friendly systems with NFL level talent at WR. 

They have more athletic ability and solid arms that make you love the ceiling, but idk if I would say they’re “better” as prospects.

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Not necessarily. It’s the same reason Willis is getting too 10 hype now. They have the more flashy traits that look great on highlight reels, but they’re probably just as raw. Both of the top two guys play in QB friendly systems with NFL level talent at WR. 

They have more athletic ability and solid arms that make you love the ceiling, but idk if I would say they’re “better” as prospects.

Okay?

@stitches Using your format, on Carson Strong, since I just watched some of his games.

Carson Strong

- First look - Size looks good, 6'3" 3/4, 226 pounds, 9 1/4" hands, good frame, solid throughout

- Athleticism and playmaking ability - Not his greatest attribute, not a dynamic runner or a talented escape artist, he's not quite a statue in the pocket but he's not going to outrun any rushers.  He could run a read option, but won't stretch the play out if he has to beat someone in open space. (Think Baker Mayfield, not Phillip Rivers.) Good feet to get on the move, but he's deliberate and intentional in his movements, and not great improvising. I haven't seen much of him throwing on the run, the few times he did he drifted backward to buy more time, so again not a strong element of his game. He's been compromised by a bad knee for a while, especially in 2021. 4/10

- Offense - spread, Air Raid, entirely shotgun, struggled with some under center snaps in the Senior Bowl; he has good command of the offense and clicks through his progressions so he's making the most of the system he's in (no grade)

- Pocket presence - Senses pressure well, anticipates free rushers and adjusts his base, sometimes drifting away prematurely, but typically has a plan to avoid pressure in the pocket, and protects the ball while he does so; it's when he tries to escape that he'll pick the wrong hole, or take a hand off the ball; needs pro coaching to adjust his tendency to drift off his spot when pressure is coming. 6/10

- Mechanics - Footwork, arm, balance, hitch, eye/feet connection, arm slot, secondary arm slot, dropback (limited due to shotgun, but even those drops are important), everything checks out for me. He looks like a natural throwing the ball to all areas/levels of the field, his weight transfer is seamless, he flips his hips, anchors well, shoulders come through front to back, finishes intentionally, can throw with touch regardless of foot position; he's worked a lot on mechanics and it shows, but will have to put in a lot of work to include 3/5/7 step drops into his repertoire. Biggest red flag is the tendency to drift away in the pocket, usually when sensing pressure. This is a hard habit to break. 7/10

- Arm talent - Nice, strong, accurate arm, can push the ball downfield, throws a rope on deep outside throws, great ball placement on contested throws, fits the ball in tight windows with anticipation and appropriate zip, impressive accuracy at times, also has some misses with placement here and there; also knows how to pull off of a throw and apply touch, whether on a crossing route, up the seam, corner, fade, outside fade, timing routes; his arm is plenty capable; don't know what his upper range looks like, but he has the ability to throw the ball 50 yards down field off his back foot, with a defender in his face, so I'm assuming a normal 60 yard bomb is something he can handle; there was a bad INT in the Senior Bowl on an underthrow down the sideline, most likely just a force on his part where he didn't time it correctly; he made that same throw multiple times on his Nevada tapes 7/10

- Processing - I don't know the reads and play book, and his hard to get a great feel when watching cut up videos, but he made plenty of checks and protection calls presnap, he read safeties, saw coverages that flipped from 2 high to 1 high and vice versa, and still followed progressions quickly and correctly; doesn't get stuck on his first read; went from one side of the field to the other quickly, evidenced by his feet and head being in sync, and made correct throws; knows when to look off a safety vs when to play off the outside coverage; several busted coverages that he quickly exploited for big gains; appears to have a good grasp of his offense and knows what to watch for pre and post snap and quickly get to his guy; gets in trouble when protection breaks down and he has to improvise; I think he has a high floor and ceiling for commanding a pro offense from a mental standpoint 8/10

- Question marks - Can his bad habits be corrected with coaching? Does he have enough athleticism to thrive in the NFL? (I'm not too worried about his athleticism; he's not a scrambling style QB, he moves well in the pocket; but highly rated QB prospects tend to have a more electric element these days.) Can he compete against better talent, or did he thrive against MWC defensive talent?

Summary - Carson Palmer comes to mind, with less polish and less proven ability against top level talent. Maybe not the guy you'd build for today's NFL, but has the mental element, accuracy, arm strength to make all the throws. Needs good OL play in front of him. I find him impressive, but there's a big leap from MWC playing against New Mexico State and Hawaii, etc. I think he'll settle in as a top 50 guy, and because he's a QB he could potentially go in the first round, especially if his medicals come back good. He has a better arm than Mac Jones, for sure, but probably a touch less athletic on the ground.

11 hours ago, Superman said:

@stitches Using your format, on Carson Strong, since I just watched some of his games.

Carson Strong

- First look - Size looks good, 6'3" 3/4, 226 pounds, 9 1/4" hands, good frame, solid throughout

- Athleticism and playmaking ability - Not his greatest attribute, not a dynamic runner or a talented escape artist, he's not quite a statue in the pocket but he's not going to outrun any rushers.  He could run a read option, but won't stretch the play out if he has to beat someone in open space. (Think Baker Mayfield, not Phillip Rivers.) Good feet to get on the move, but he's deliberate and intentional in his movements, and not great improvising. I haven't seen much of him throwing on the run, the few times he did he drifted backward to buy more time, so again not a strong element of his game. He's been compromised by a bad knee for a while, especially in 2021. 4/10

- Offense - spread, Air Raid, entirely shotgun, struggled with some under center snaps in the Senior Bowl; he has good command of the offense and clicks through his progressions so he's making the most of the system he's in (no grade)

- Pocket presence - Senses pressure well, anticipates free rushers and adjusts his base, sometimes drifting away prematurely, but typically has a plan to avoid pressure in the pocket, and protects the ball while he does so; it's when he tries to escape that he'll pick the wrong hole, or take a hand off the ball; needs pro coaching to adjust his tendency to drift off his spot when pressure is coming. 6/10

- Mechanics - Footwork, arm, balance, hitch, eye/feet connection, arm slot, secondary arm slot, dropback (limited due to shotgun, but even those drops are important), everything checks out for me. He looks like a natural throwing the ball to all areas/levels of the field, his weight transfer is seamless, he flips his hips, anchors well, shoulders come through front to back, finishes intentionally, can throw with touch regardless of foot position; he's worked a lot on mechanics and it shows, but will have to put in a lot of work to include 3/5/7 step drops into his repertoire. Biggest red flag is the tendency to drift away in the pocket, usually when sensing pressure. This is a hard habit to break. 7/10

- Arm talent - Nice, strong, accurate arm, can push the ball downfield, throws a rope on deep outside throws, great ball placement on contested throws, fits the ball in tight windows with anticipation and appropriate zip, impressive accuracy at times, also has some misses with placement here and there; also knows how to pull off of a throw and apply touch, whether on a crossing route, up the seam, corner, fade, outside fade, timing routes; his arm is plenty capable; don't know what his upper range looks like, but he has the ability to throw the ball 50 yards down field off his back foot, with a defender in his face, so I'm assuming a normal 60 yard bomb is something he can handle; there was a bad INT in the Senior Bowl on an underthrow down the sideline, most likely just a force on his part where he didn't time it correctly; he made that same throw multiple times on his Nevada tapes 7/10

- Processing - I don't know the reads and play book, and his hard to get a great feel when watching cut up videos, but he made plenty of checks and protection calls presnap, he read safeties, saw coverages that flipped from 2 high to 1 high and vice versa, and still followed progressions quickly and correctly; doesn't get stuck on his first read; went from one side of the field to the other quickly, evidenced by his feet and head being in sync, and made correct throws; knows when to look off a safety vs when to play off the outside coverage; several busted coverages that he quickly exploited for big gains; appears to have a good grasp of his offense and knows what to watch for pre and post snap and quickly get to his guy; gets in trouble when protection breaks down and he has to improvise; I think he has a high floor and ceiling for commanding a pro offense from a mental standpoint 8/10

- Question marks - Can his bad habits be corrected with coaching? Does he have enough athleticism to thrive in the NFL? (I'm not too worried about his athleticism; he's not a scrambling style QB, he moves well in the pocket; but highly rated QB prospects tend to have a more electric element these days.) Can he compete against better talent, or did he thrive against MWC defensive talent?

Summary - Carson Palmer comes to mind, with less polish and less proven ability against top level talent. Maybe not the guy you'd build for today's NFL, but has the mental element, accuracy, arm strength to make all the throws. Needs good OL play in front of him. I find him impressive, but there's a big leap from MWC playing against New Mexico State and Hawaii, etc. I think he'll settle in as a top 50 guy, and because he's a QB he could potentially go in the first round, especially if his medicals come back good. He has a better arm than Mac Jones, for sure, but probably a touch less athletic on the ground.

Absolutely love your scouting reports. I learn both about the players and about what to watch for myself when looking at film. 

Strong to me seems like another in the Pickett mold(but with a lot less mobility). Probably the QB with most prototypical size and frame in this draft. He does a lot of things well, but I don't feel like he does anything at an exceptional level. Hell, even his arm strength which is supposed to be his strength, will not rank among the top 7-8 in the league. You mentioned the underthrow in the Senior Bowl. He had a couple of those in the California game too. He usually seems to have good base and good mechanics but when he's interrupted in the pocket and has to take avoiding actions to me it seems to affect both his arm strength and accuracy. 

But yeah... love your report and waiting for another 2 or 3 of them :) 

Archived