Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB Class of 2022 NFL Draft

So after the Ballard and Reich press-conferences, I think this thread becomes necessary. I never thought two weeks ago that I will be looking at QB draft film but here we are. 

So here we go. I am starting with Kenny Pickett, QB, Pittsburgh...  Watched 3 games(Clemson, Virginia, Tennessee)... will be adding more of my impressions in the future when I watch more games of him. Quick points:

Kenny Pickett

- First look - looks to have good size. Listed at 6'3" 220lbs... If I had to guess he will measure around 6'2" at the combine. 

- Athleticism and playmaking ability - He's a good athlete, but I wouldn't call him explosive or dynamic. He's more in the Luck/Mahomes mold than in the Allen/Hurts/Lamar Jackson mold. He would make throws on the move. Flees the pocket predominantly to the right, keeps eyes downfield for the most part. Mixed success on his off-script throws, but he definitely flashes some off-script talent(not to the level of Mahomes, Wilson, etc.). Puts his body on the line for 1st downs... sometimes recklessly I might say. 

- Offense - plays in a spread college offense, overwhelmingly in shotgun... I think I saw him take only 2 or 3 snaps under center in the 3 games I watched. Not a ton of pre-snap movement  but successful with it when it happens. Seems to be processing the game well. 

- Pocket presence - good pocket presence, seems comfortable in the pocket, makes slight adjustments in the face of pressure. Sometimes too calm under pressure... has instances when he spins left into pressure(kind of similar to Eason in college, BUT NOWHERE CLOSE to as frequently). Sometimes I wish he would step into his throws a bit more. 

- Mechanics - I'm no mechanics expert, but I cannot find glaring problems with his mechanics... again, sometimes throws off his back foot, but this seems minor. 

- Arm talent - doesn't have a cannon. If I had to describe it, I'd say he has average to slightly above average arm. But he does have good accuracy in most areas of the field. From what I saw he was tremendous throwing downfield and especially between the numbers. I'm not sure he's as comfortable throwing outside the numbers, but it's not like he's bad there. Has touch throws... good on drag routes(*cough*cough*), good on throws to the flat, good on inbreaking routes, very good targeting his outlet/safety valve options, has enough arm to complete some pretty deep balls when he's kept clean. 

- Processing - even though he's a very capable mover and athlete, he is predominantly a pocket passer and he does most of his damage from the pocket. Seems to be going well through progressions. Consistently seems to be getting to his 2nd or 3d option on a given play.  Good timing on most of his throws. 

- Question marks - Kind of old prospect, will be 24 in his rookie season. This was his first great year, before that it was mostly OK not great. Is he flash in the pan? 

Summary - there is a lot to like about him, but for some reason I am not completely sold just yet. I need to see more games. If you read that description you would think he's a very good prospect without any major flaws and would wonder "why is he not a lock top 5 pick?"... and I won't be able to answer that... but there's just something about him that doesn't scream NFL-star to me. In a way he seems to be OK-to-good in a lot of things but doesn't have the elite of elite traits. If I had to give a comparison - poor mans Joe Burrow. And I love Burrow... I am just not sure a poor man's Joe Burrow will be good enough in the league. Everything Pickett is good at, Burrow was elite at in college. If we go get him, I would absolutely understand why, though... 

Anyways... that's it from me for now. You are very welcome to post all your impressions of all other QB prospects here. I'd love for this thread to turn into the hub of our discussions on all the QBs of the draft. I will be watching the rest of the top QB prospects too and I will be adding more of my own impressions too .

Cheers. :cheers:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I took a lot away from Ballard’s press conference. I think he’s realizing that he’s done everything at QB except draft one in the first 2 rounds and I think that’s where he’s at. You won’t find anyone who thinks Wentz is the future. Rodgers and Wilson are pipe dreams and getting a Jimmy G or Derek Carr aren’t long term solutions. 

I like Desmond Ridder. He’s got a great floor and his ceiling is great too. However he’s got a lot of work to do when it comes to ball placement. He throws a lot of balls behind his receivers which causes them to have  to turn around for the ball and break stride. A lot of 20 yard catches that could have gone for longer if he hit his guys in stride. Doesn’t look like he can throw back shoulder throws yet either. Footwork is sloppy when he has to move laterally. Also is a one read guy as well.

In terms of what the Colts need and look for though, he’s it. He can hit the “layups” that Ballard was talking about in his presser. Also the running ability is great. I’d take him with the 2nd round pick and let him sit until Wentz has a collapse. I love his intangibles too. He won a lot of games and you can see he’s the real leader of that football team.

• Like 1

I can see the attraction to Ridder. Raw, but high potential. Boom or bust. IMO I'd lean more towards bust with him in my viewings. He gives me Deshone Kizer vibes.

Only Qb's I'd like to draft this year would be Pickett, Corral or Willis. Zappe is another potential later round guy, have to see how he fairs in the senior bowl.

7 minutes ago, buccolts said:

This thread seems to be as good as any to ask.... What would trading a 2023 #1 get us in 2022, and what would trading our 2022 #2 get us in 2023?

Depends, but I would guess a pick in the 15-25 range is doable if we find a team willing to trade out of the 1st round. 48 + future 1st for 15-25. 

Since our own pick in 2022 is kind of mid second round, I would guess we can get a 2nd in 2023 + 3d or 4th in 2022. 

But those are just my speculations. In reality it really depends on what the market is like and what others are offering at the time. 

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

Depends, but I would guess a pick in the 15-25 range is doable if we find a team willing to trade out of the 1st round. 48 + future 1st for 15-25. 

Since our own pick in 2022 is kind of mid second round, I would guess we can get a 2nd in 2023 + 3d or 4th in 2022. 

But those are just my speculations. In reality it really depends on what the market is like and what others are offering at the time. 

Thanks.

It sounds like you're saying (I know there are variables, but) our 2023 #1 without other picks thrown in, may get us an early #2, maybe a late #1 in 2023(?).

9 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Thanks.

It sounds like you're saying (I know there are variables, but) our 2023 #1 without other picks thrown in, may get us an early #2, maybe a late #1 in 2023(?).

I think you mean late 1st or early 2nd in 2022, not 2023. But yeah... usually that's how teams discount it future picks.  I personally would never do such a trade unless we are moving for QB. I'd be much more willing to do the reverse trade. Trade this year's pick for similar or better pick in the future+other incentives(3d,4th) 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think you mean late 1st or early 2nd in 2022, not 2023. But yeah... usually that's how teams discount it future picks.  I personally would never do such a trade unless we are moving for QB. I'd be much more willing to do the reverse trade. Trade this year's pick for similar or better pick in the future+other incentives(3d,4th) 

Thanks, and I agree. I just wanted to know both sides, since everyone's grasping for QB options.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthernColt said:

I can see the attraction to Ridder. Raw, but high potential. Boom or bust. IMO I'd lean more towards bust with him in my viewings. He gives me Deshone Kizer vibes.

Only Qb's I'd like to draft this year would be Pickett, Corral or Willis. Zappe is another potential later round guy, have to see how he fairs in the senior bowl.

Kizer was overvalued from the start. Not sure why he ever got the hype he did. But Ridder isn’t getting overhyped. He’s also got a way better college resume than Kizer had.

• Like 1

Trading up to get a QB in this years draft would seem like a tremendous waste

There are 3-4 decent QBs that are coming out next year that are seemingly way ahead of what we have in this years draft

My hope is that we improve the team at Carson shows up 100% and plays well

If not (Crap happens)We go after one of the studs QB coming out next year........ 

• Like 3

In this draft, at our draft spot.......I would look at Desmond Ridder (SP?) from the Bearcats as others have suggested. 6'4", strong army, strong runner - or a similar player in the Liberty QB (Malik Willis)....

Keep Wentz, groom one of them perhaps?

• Like 1

Need a guy that can read defenses with 12 seconds left on the play clock, then make the correct decision with where to throw the ball after the snap in less than 3 seconds, and deliver the ball with accuracy.....and a basic level of velocity to play in the NFL.

If no QB can do that better than Sam Ehlinger, I think SE is our best option.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

I wouldn't hate Ridder, I'd trust Ballards opinion on him. But I don't get a good feeling from him. Willis on the other hand, I do. I think he just has that IT factor.

I was just getting ready to ask how everyone feels about Willis. Very different from every QB the Colts have had, but has the wow factor. I heard McShay say that everyone raves about his character and work ethic too. He has very high upside.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I was just getting ready to ask how everyone feels about Willis. Very different from every QB the Colts have had, but has the wow factor. I heard McShay say that everyone raves about his character and work ethic too. He has very high upside.

I'm holding off on watching him, because I fear what conclusion I will come to(saw one game of him early in the season and liked what I saw) :D 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I like Willis a lot. He was on my watch list early on but once it became clear the Colts weren't going to have a 1st round pick I let off. People are going to point to games against better competition but Liberty literally has no draft worthy prospects on offense around him. He made 23 starts (8 more than Trey Lance did coming into the 2021 draft). 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ColtV said:

I like Willis a lot. He was on my watch list early on but once it became clear the Colts weren't going to have a 1st round pick I let off. People are going to point to games against better competition but Liberty literally has no draft worthy prospects on offense around him. He made 23 starts (8 more than Trey Lance did coming into the 2021 draft). 

The thing is that he may have played at a small school but people forget that he was an Auburn transfer. He’s not just some small school wonder.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 6:14 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Breakdown of Ridder from last years Peach Bowl against Georgia that he almost won

No doubt would be the QB for us to target imo. What do you think the chances are hes available with our 2nd rd pick  I think hes there due to how deep class is on OT, CB, and DL.

Kaleb Eleby from Western Michigan is a guy worth watching. Good processor, good arm strength, toughness (mentally and physically), and can throw quite a few routes with proficiency.

I want to see more of his work in unclean pockets, and what he does when defenses try to make the game extremely cloudy but from what i've watched so far.....the tools are there.

Of course, he's not spoken of that highly because there're some issues that still need to be taught to him. There's growth that needs to happen but in this class, considering how many teams need QBs, and what kind of draft ammo the Colts have, i think we're not getting Pickett or any of the top 2 or maybe 3 guys in the weak class so who else could come in and sit behind Wentz or start even in week 8 when Wentz has COVID or is hurt.

3 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

No doubt would be the QB for us to target imo. What do you think the chances are hes available with our 2nd rd pick  I think hes there due to how deep class is on OT, CB, and DL.

It’s really too early to say. This isn’t a great QB class, and in a normal year all of the top 6 guys are guys you get in rounds 2-4 to develop. However you have teams like Denver, New Orleans, Minnesota, and Pittsburgh that have big question marks at QB. While not many of these guys should go in the 1st, we’ll have to see if these teams reach for need or not. As it stands, Desmond Ridder should be available to us in the 2nd round.

We also need to see how these guys test, perform, and interview in the pre-draft process. Someone’s stock might rise or we may find out that NFL steams are higher/lower on them than media consensus. We probably won’t really have an accurate picture until Mid-April.

Ridder specifically because he has the running ability and the basic QB skills has a chance to be the biggest riser during this whole process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I read the analysis of  lot of the college QBs, Willis as an example, I hear the favorables as escapability and arm zip to fit the ball into tight windows.  Its the same emphasis on physicality that just doesn't matter that much in the NFL.  Those things are definitely better to have than to not have, but they still do not touch on the most important things of mental processing and ball-placement accuracy.  Also, many of the QBs are short.  As well as the Heisman Trophy winner that will be in the 2023 draft.  No taller than Ehlinger.

Ridder at 6'4" just seem like a better prospect just because of height, knowing nothing else at this point.

Carson Strong is 6'4" also.

• Like 1

I didn't love Ridder when I watched him last year, but he supposedly took a step forward this year. I still haven't watched his tape from this year. 

Carson Strong reportedly has a degenerative knee condition... I've heard Todd Gurley type of condition.. He doesn't run much so no idea if that should stop you from drafting him... but yah... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stitches said:

I didn't love Ridder when I watched him last year, but he supposedly took a step forward this year. I still haven't watched his tape from this year. 

Carson Strong reportedly has a degenerative knee condition... I've heard Todd Gurley type of condition.. He doesn't run much so no idea if that should stop you from drafting him... but yah... 

there’s so much back and forth about Strong’s knee. I’m waiting untill the combine medicals to see what the truth is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stitches said:

I read where he had the blood flow issue in high school.  Got the surgery then had degradable nails put into his knee, that resolved the original problem.  But he still doesn't run much.   

But i don't think anybody will know until the combine medicals.  If he passes, he'll probably go in the 1st round anyway.

FWIW, some info on Strong's knee:

From nevadasports.net

Strong underwent right knee surgery in February and had the same knee scoped in August. The knee injury dates to his high school career after he felt discomfort and clicking in that knee while playing in an AAU basketball tournament in Reno. The Vacaville, Calif., native had eight biodegradable nails inserted into his knee, which caused him to miss his senior season. He felt discomfort during the 2020 season, which led to the second surgery last winter that included a piece of his hip bone being inserted into his knee. That came with a 6- to 12-month recovery window, and Strong was cleared by his doctor at the 6-month mark after it was deemed his knee was structurally fit, although he dealt with inflammation in the knee throughout the season.

"My surgery was in February, and it's supposed to be a year-long recovery," Strong said. "The thing with my surgery that I had, it has to do with some bone and bone just takes kind of a long time to heal. And so just coming back soon, I was dealing with some inflammation problems. After games, I'd get swollen and sore, and so I was just dealing with that.

Later, from the draftnetwork:

Strong told The Draft Network earlier this year that there was no cause for concern for his long-term future, that he was going to see a Los Angeles Rams doctor, and that all would be clear.

Based on Nagy’s report, that is exactly what happened.

“Plenty speculation on here about status of Nevada QB Carson Strong’s knee,” Nagy tweeted. “He had surgery Feb. 21 and rushed back to play this fall despite normal 10-month recovery time. Recently saw an NFL team doc who told him there was zero cause for long-term concern after clean MRI.”  

Injury was the primary concern for Strong being moved down in the draft boards. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Colt Overseas said:

I didn’t think Howell was just 6’0” from watching him.

Apparently Pickett has 8 1/4” hands so maybe that’s why he didn’t get them measured lol.

Ridder is actually pretty big. Thought he might be 6’1”. He’s got some weight on that frame too. 

15 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

I didn’t think Howell was just 6’0” from watching him.

Apparently Pickett has 8 1/4” hands so maybe that’s why he didn’t get them measured lol.

Yeah, the Pickett's hands have been a public secret for a while. They are small... no idea how much weight we should put on it, but evaluators seem to at least take it into consideration. 

Good measurements for Strong and Ridder. I wish Willis was bigger/taller... 

7 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Pickett is older like burrow. Will be 24 this summer. That to me says a lot maybe about maturity ect. I heard he might be on Steelers radar.

Burrow  had small hands too. 

Burrow covered the 9" hands threshold ... 

My comparison for Pickett is poor-mans Burrow too... I'm just not sure how good poor-mans Burrow is in the league. Plus Burrow has that 'je ne sais quoi'... that something special about the way he carries himself and his attitude that I don't think Pickett has. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

Burrow covered the 9" hands threshold ... 

My comparison for Pickett is poor-mans Burrow too... I'm just not sure how good poor-mans Burrow is in the league. Plus Burrow has that 'je ne sais quoi'... that something special about the way he carries himself and his attitude that I don't think Pickett has. 

Burrow has ice in his veins. Confident that borders on cocky. Burrow tweeted a tweet making fun of his hand size before he was drafted.  

1 hour ago, Matabix said:

Again I don't watch college ball that much. 

The Stanford QB he seems to measure good. Any likes or dislikes? Any info would help. Seems like a 4th rounder or later pick.

What Stanford QB are you referring to?

On 2/1/2022 at 9:50 AM, stitches said:

Yeah, the Pickett's hands have been a public secret for a while. They are small... no idea how much weight we should put on it, but evaluators seem to at least take it into consideration. 

Good measurements for Strong and Ridder. I wish Willis was bigger/taller... 

It supposedly affects the ability to rotate the ball, weather related, and also affects zip.  By how much who knows.  And the strip sack.

Most of the QBs are short.  I don't think that the top of next year's class has much height either.  A lot of mobility and not much staying in the pocket. 

• Like 1

The draft network comment on their impressions of the QBs in the aftermath of the Senior Bowl. They think if there was a winner, it's definitely Willis and he's not going to last until the teens of the draft. 

• Like 1