Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[PFF] The Colts would be crazy not to have their eye on potential QB contingency plans in the draft

stitches

PFF made a ranking of the 32 NFL teams by need at the QB position. They put the Colts at no.10 and here's what they said about our QB situation:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-quarterback-need-all-32-nfl-teams-2022-offseason-free-agency-nfl-draft?

10. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

The season could not have ended in a more disastrous fashion for the Colts. Carson Wentz played in all 17 games, ensuring the conditional draft pick traded to acquire him was a first-rounder, but he collapsed down the stretch and was a quarterback obviously propped up by the system rather than facilitating the play of everybody around him.

Wentz had three games with at least three turnover-worthy plays, each of which earned him a PFF grade of 46.1 or worse. The team likely lacks real confidence in Wentz being the guy going forward, and even though the Colts may not be able to get rid of him anytime soon, they would be crazy not to have their eye on potential contingency plans in the draft.

Yep. If they felt there was someone that had a lot of potential to develop they should go for it. I wouldn’t take a flier on one though. Needs to be one they love. Saw a mock with strong going to colts. But he has a messed up arthritis knee with nails in it. Pff though are wrntz haters. I would tell them to go back and look how many turnover worthy plays all the QB had. Three games doesn’t sound like a lot.

Just now, John Waylon said:

This is not a good QB class. We’ve spent picks on QBs in the last two years, and already sent one of them packing. I’ll pass on using any more picks on a QB this year, especially without a first round pick. 

We drafted QBs pretty late. IMO with QBs you should keep trying until you hit. It's far from ideal, but it's better than the alternative. Now, of course - you draft QBs you like/love and believe have the chance to become your franchise QB, you don't just draft one to draft one, but yeah... 

IMO this QB draft class not being hyped might actually help us... IF Ballard and Reich actually fall in love with one of them, it will probably be relatively cheap(compared to last year) to get in position to draft him. 

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

We drafted QBs pretty late. IMO with QBs you should keep trying until you hit. It's far from ideal, but it's better than the alternative. Now, of course - you draft QBs you like/love and believe have the chance to become your franchise QB, you don't just draft one to draft one, but yeah... 

IMO this QB draft class not being hyped might actually help us... IF Ballard and Reich actually fall in love with one of them, it will probably be relatively cheap(compared to last year) to get in position to draft him. 

Don’t know if they can even hit if they don’t play and aren’t given a chance.  But you are right if they call in love with one.

3 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Ive been saying this too.  Weak class doesnt mean it should be ignored and dismissed

I see a lot of people completely writing this off because of the "weak class".  there could be someone they like that might make it interesting with a good offseason 

Just like Houston  got Mills. Put him on colts and he probably wins games. 

38 minutes ago, stitches said:

One guy that does interest me is Bailey Zappe of Western Kentucky. He is the 4th round pick I would not mind investing in.

Here is his write up here:

Bailey Zappe, Western Kentucky: After putting up 78 touchdown passes in 36 games at Houston Baptist, Zappe followed his offensive coordinator, Zach Kittley, to Western Kentucky. He put together the most prolific single-season passing performance in FBS history, finishing with single-season records in passing yards (5,967) and touchdowns (62). He's a decisive decision-maker who throws with plenty of anticipation. At 6-1, 220 pounds, Zappe has a slightly above-average arm, but scouts want to see him outside of the offense that he has a Ph.D.-level of understanding in so they can gain an idea of his next-level projection. Alongside many of the notable players at the position in this class, Zappe will be competing in the Senior Bowl.

To me, reminds me a bit of Anthony Gordon, with his prolific passing, slighter frame and throwing in anticipation, for a late round QB on Day 3. Trying to find more game film of his to analyze. However, at this rate, we might as well give Sam Ehlinger a shot, right? Or wait till 2023 for that Fresno State QB Jake Haener.

14 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Ive been saying this too.  Weak class doesnt mean it should be ignored and dismissed

I see a lot of people completely writing this off because of the "weak class".  there could be someone they like that might make it interesting with a good offseason 

Yep. Colts don't have a 1st round pick, let alone a top 10 pick, so who cares if a QB isn't "worth" an early 1st round pick. That QB wouldn't be available anyways when they pick. So why would we want a strong QB class in our current situation?

But the perception that there aren't QBs worth is actually a good thing. If a team picking in the top 12 doesn't want to use that precious pick on a certain QB/s, then that's great. Let that QB/s fall past the teams that have QBs to the late 1st/early 2nd round...and the Colts can pounce if they like one.  Or even better, sit pat and let them fall to them.

Let him compete with some vet FA QB and then see where we are after next year, when our draft capital resets. The upside is they might have one for the future...the downside is they are in the same position they will be anyways.  

I really think the majority of this fanbase would rally around a rookie QB next year. But we will see what happens.

18 minutes ago, chad72 said:

One guy that does interest me is Bailey Zappe of Western Kentucky. He is the 4th round pick I would not mind investing in.

Bailey Zappe, Western Kentucky: After putting up 78 touchdown passes in 36 games at Houston Baptist, Zappe followed his offensive coordinator, Zach Kittley, to Western Kentucky. He put together the most prolific single-season passing performance in FBS history, finishing with single-season records in passing yards (5,967) and touchdowns (62). He's a decisive decision-maker who throws with plenty of anticipation. At 6-1, 220 pounds, Zappe has a slightly above-average arm, but scouts want to see him outside of the offense that he has a Ph.D.-level of understanding in so they can gain an idea of his next-level projection. Alongside many of the notable players at the position in this class, Zappe will be competing in the Senior Bowl.

To me, reminds me a bit of Anthony Gordon, with his prolific passing, slighter frame and throwing in anticipation, for a late round QB on Day 3. Trying to find more game film of his to analyze. However, at this rate, we might as well give Sam Ehlinger a shot, right? Or wait till 2023 for that Fresno State QB Jake Haener.

To me Sam could probably give us something similiar to what TUA gives the dolphins. Limited ceiling with quick short passes that can process things quickly. Might be able to win some games with him but ceiling is not that high.

33 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

5 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Yep. Colts don't have a 1st round pick, let alone a top 10 pick, so who cares if a QB isn't "worth" an early 1st round pick. That QB wouldn't be available anyways when they pick. So why would we want a strong QB class in our current situation?

But the perception that there aren't QBs worth is actually a good thing. If a team picking in the top 12 doesn't want to use that precious pick on a certain QB/s, then that's great. Let that QB/s fall past the teams that have QBs to the late 1st/early 2nd round...and the Colts can pounce if they like one.  Or even better, sit pat and let them fall to them.

Let him compete with some vet FA QB and then see where we are after next year, when our draft capital resets. The upside is they might have one for the future...the downside is they are in the same position they will be anyways.  

I really think the majority of this fanbase would rally around a rookie QB next year. But we will see what happens.

Yep, even in weak QB drafts teams hit on QBs. Hell even in the strong ones often the best QBs are not who at the time is considered the best prospect(Mahomes, Allen). The key is for our FO to do their job and figure out the make up of those QBs and who's likely to improve and to what level... and if they fall in love with one of them... just get him. Who cares if he was in a weak class. 

16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think Malik Willis would be really fun to watch play and develop. Just untapped upside. He's a ridiculous athlete. But once he tests, I am not sure how a team doesn't pick him in the 1st round.

But the guy I am really intrigued by is Matt Corral. I think he ends up being a very good QB in the right system. He's tough and can be a threat in the running game. Reportedly, he's a good leader as well. But most importantly, he has a very quick release, with good arm strength and excellent accuracy. I think he could run Reich's offense right away. 

If teams are really going to pass on these guys in the 1st round, the Colts should definitely take advantage.

Your basically looking for a guy with limited mobility, can do quick processing and reads, and very accurate.

Its a short passing offense so you have to be accurate with the ball and hit the WR/RB on the correct shoulder (away from the defender) and hit them in Stride for YAC.  QB will be throwing in alot of traffic with short passes.  WR/RB cannot slow down and wait for the ball.

Then once the defense collapses up to defend the short pass, go deep and hit some long balls (maybe 2-3 per game) to back the defense back up.

The QB has to be a "cerebral" QB to quickly process and get the ball out of his hands.  A big rocket arm is not required.

I mention all this because if we're looking at a guy with a big arm and long windup and not accurate on the short pass, he will not be a good fit for our offense (Eason).

1 minute ago, PRnum1 said:

Your basically looking for a guy with limited mobility, can do quick processing and reads, and very accurate.

Its a short passing offense so you have to be accurate with the ball and hit the WR/RB on the correct shoulder (away from the defender) and hit them in Stride for YAC.  QB will be throwing in alot of traffic with short passes.  WR/RB cannot slow down and wait for the ball.

Then once the defense collapses up to defend the short pass, go deep and hit some long balls (maybe 2-3 per game) to back the defense back up.

The QB has to be a "cerebral" QB to quickly process and get the ball out of his hands.

I mention all this because if we're looking at a guy with a big arm and long windup and not accurate on the short pass, he will not be a good fit for our offense (Eason).

Agree. But I don't think they should sacrifice mobility. You can find a guy who can move a bit that is also able to do those things.

I mentioned Corral up there, but check him out if you get a chance. He seems to fit your description very well, except he's quite mobile. The only catch is that he's undersized. But he has a very quick release, good zip and is able to hit guys in stride in the short and intermediate passing game. And can drop one over the heads of the secondary when called upon. Can also throw on the run and off-platform.

11 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I think Malik Willis would be really fun to watch play and develop. Just untapped upside. He's a ridiculous athlete. But once he tests, I am not sure how a team doesn't pick him in the 1st round.

But the guy I am really intrigued by is Matt Corral. I think he ends up being a very good QB in the right system. He's tough and can be a threat in the running game. Reportedly, he's a good leader as well. But most importantly, he has a very quick release, with good arm strength and excellent accuracy. I think he could run Reich's offense right away. 

If teams are really going to pass on these guys in the 1st round, the Colts should definitely take advantage.

I wonder if some of these guys drop enough in the first round of colts could package something together to move back into the first round. If it’s someone they love you do that everyday and don’t worry about what picks your losing this year because the QB for the long term needs to be found. This should take priority.

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

Agree. But I don't think they should sacrifice mobility. You can find a guy who can move a bit that is also able to do those things.

I mentioned Corral up there, but check him out if you get a chance. He seems to fit your description very well, except he's quite mobile. The only catch is that he's undersized. But he has a very quick release, good zip and is able to hit guys in stride in the short and intermediate passing game. And can drop one over the heads of the secondary when called upon. Can also throw on the run and off-platform.

I didn't phrase that that well.  More mobility is better but its not a running QB offense.  Frank wants the QB to make quick reads/decisions and get rid of the ball.

Will check out Corral.  Thanks for the tip.

2 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I didn't phrase that that well.  More mobility is better but its not a running QB offense.  Frank wants the QB to make quick reads/decisions and get rid of the ball.

Will check out Corral.  Thanks for the tip.

I think if a QB can run bootlegs and just maneuver the pocket well that’s all the mobility we really need.

I agree to a lot of what’s been stated above.

personally I think that mobility is becoming a prerequisite to being a QB in todays NFL. Manning is my favorite QB ever and you can’t argue with Brady’s success but they just process the game on another level so they are outliers nowadays. Defenders are just too dang athletic to provide them a stationary target in my opinion.

also I believe in the college theory on QBs until you have THE FRANCHISE. You take one EVERY cycle until you have one. Period. And we don’t currently have one.

8 hours ago, John Waylon said:

This is not a good QB class. We’ve spent picks on QBs in the last two years, and already sent one of them packing. I’ll pass on using any more picks on a QB this year, especially without a first round pick. 

This....

The following year looks to be a fantastic year for QBs

I HOPE Wentz picks it up....... and we draft LAST!  :)

But if we are mediocre again... NEXT Year , then its time to get get our QB of the future

I think all the fan and media bruhhahah is just that

We SHOULD NOT give up many future draft picks to get a 33 Plus old QB

We SHOULD NOT give up many future draft picks to get a QB in THIS class (It appears to be weak)

We SHOULD NOT give up our star players to get an average QB this year

IMHO

Keep Wentz 

Sign a vet FA like Mariota  or Winston

Fill the blaring holes at LT and DE with FA (And MAYBE FS)

Draft the WR, TE, DBs to develop, OL to develop,  in this draft And MAYBE FS)

Let Glow go, Keep Reed - Save some $$$

Resign Pryor 

Resign MAC

If I were going to take a QB in the 2nd, Strong is not a bad pick in the 2R.

But he's a total project/projection.

And you just don't do that when your best draft pick is a 2Rer. 

Not sure Strong will last till our pick either, and I certainly wouldn't move up for him.

To me, there's no QB in this draft that should get a top 16 grade. 

But there will likely be 3-4 that go early, simply because, well...

Teams make desperate reaches every year for QBs...  

I wouldn't feel good about investing in any QB in the 2nd/3rd round this year at all. 

Unless Rodgers becomes available, itd just be smart to wait until 2023 before a move is made imo. We'd have more draft capital to make a pick then as well to get the QB they believe in.

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

If I were going to take a QB in the 2nd, Strong is not a bad pick in the 2R.

But he's a total project/projection.

And you just don't do that when your best draft pick is a 2Rer. 

Not sure Strong will last till our pick either, and I certainly wouldn't move up for him.

To me, there's no QB in this draft that should get a top 16 grade. 

But there will likely be 3-4 that go early, simply because, well...

Teams make desperate reaches every year for QBs...  

The Colts need a LT in the worst way but 47 may be too late to get that franchise LT.

Corner is also a huge need so maybe go corner at 47

16 hours ago, chad72 said:

Maybe if we hire Kittley as our new OC, then Zappe will just show up without being drafted... Ha!!

15 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

Everyones entitled to their own opinions, but I would hate Carson Strong as our 2nd rounder. If people thought Eason was a statue in the pocket, wait till you see Strong. Not a fan of his at all.

I'm not high on most of these QBs this draft, so I would prefer to either trade for someone like Wilson or Carr, or wait until 2023 to get your QB of the future. 

19 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

The QB has to be a "cerebral" QB to quickly process and get the ball out of his hands.  A big rocket arm is not required.

You mean we need Philip Rivers?

On 1/19/2022 at 2:43 PM, stitches said:

good point but there are a lot of teams needing qbs

On 1/19/2022 at 12:56 PM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I wonder if some of these guys drop enough in the first round of colts could package something together to move back into the first round. If it’s someone they love you do that everyday and don’t worry about what picks your losing this year because the QB for the long term needs to be found. This should take priority.

It would more than likely involve trading next year's one and this year's 2 to get in to the first round.

I don’t get caught up in not having a 1st round pick. Every year there are a bunch of very good players drafted in the middle and late rounds. We just have to find them (which Ballard and co has done a pretty good job at). There is no reason why we can’t fill holes with the picks we have. I also think the value of a 1st round pick is overrated. 

28 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

I don’t get caught up in not having a 1st round pick. Every year there are a bunch of very good players drafted in the middle and late rounds. We just have to find them (which Ballard and co has done a pretty good job at). There is no reason why we can’t fill holes with the picks we have. I also think the value of a 1st round pick is overrated. 

agencylife advertisement GIF by MX Player

1 hour ago, IrsaysArmy said:

If we are picking  in the 20’s or later maybe it’s not a big deal. But what happens if it doesn’t work out and all of a sudden your giving up top ten picks. We would of had the 16th pick this year. We would of gotten a really good player.

10 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

The Colts need a LT in the worst way but 47 may be too late to get that franchise LT.

Corner is also a huge need so maybe go corner at 47

For me, I think I'm going LT, WR, FS, or CB with the first two picks. Out of those 4, whoever is highest on our board when the pick happens. 

Archived