Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dodds Withdrawals Name from CHI

Jackie Daytona

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I saw that as well. Was just going to post it. I think it's a good decision to be honest. Chicago is a wreck at the moment and I don't know how anyone can fix it in just a few years. 

That's been an awfully long moment. 

4 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Maybe he was told he wasn’t in the running. If he was a top 2 or 3 candidate and he pulled out he’s NUTS. Running the Chicago Bears seems like a dream job for a football guy 

That’s exactly the tweet I saw. He pulled out because he knows he isn’t the favorite or is a favorite somewhere else.

Bears is a tough sell. The owners or whoever is running the show seem to not have a clue what they are doing.

Let Pace and Nagy sell the farm for Fields a year before firing them. When everyone and their grandma knew they were getting canned. Why not do it last year. Now you pretty much have to hire a HC and GM that want to work with Fields, just a nightmare.

Its like Mr Mcafee always says on his show. Its quite humbling when you start to learn all these people in high up powerful positions are just as dumb as you and me.

10 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Doffs removing himself all the time will start looking bad and people will stop looking his way. Rumor is he was late to his interview and cussed a lot lol.

seems to be secure in the job he already has

• Shive changed the title to Dodds Withdrawals Name from CHI
13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

2 things.

He didn't turn down the job, he just removed his name from consideration.

He also did the same exact thing last year with the Panthers, and the prior year with the Browns, so not really sure it's a "Bears" thing. 

Yeah, this is nothing new. Football execs do this all the time. Eric DaCosta of the Ravens declined interviews for years as did George Paton who was with the Vikings and accepted the Broncos GM job last year. Dodds does not have to make himself available for any position.

Not everything has to be seen in a negative light. (I am not referring to you.) If the Colts like him, this should be good news, not bad. 

24 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I find myself hoping that Dodds stays with the Colts for another couple of seasons. 

Me too. As a fan, I have no reason to want him to leave just so he can be a GM elsewhere. I know how good he is and I want him here to help us and not hurt us on another team like the Raiders in our conference. To me, it doesn't matter if he gets promoted or makes more money. I'm not his friend or family. I'm just a fan of the team he is the assistant GM for and I hope he continues to help us draft well as long as possible.

On 1/19/2022 at 6:32 PM, IrsaysArmy said:

Maybe he was told he wasn’t in the running. If he was a top 2 or 3 candidate and he pulled out he’s NUTS. Running the Chicago Bears seems like a dream job for a football guy 

It's not very common to get multiple GM jobs. If you go to a place and don't do a great job, you are unlikely to move laterally or up in your next position. Coaching turnover is a little higher and it's more common to see a coach stay as a head coach (eg, Dungy) or go back to a coordinator position for a year or 2 and then back to head coach,  or go to college and get a lucrative Coaching deal.  GMs who fail don't often become GMs again.

Dodds gets paid handsomely in Indy. It's unlikely that he needs a raise.  The Bears seem to have a lot of issues to fix. He withdrew from Detroit and Carolina last year, also dumpster fires.  

Who knows why he withdrew his name, but one guess is he saw it as a situation where he would be set up to fail. 

On 1/21/2022 at 8:55 AM, NFLfan said:

Yeah, this is nothing new. Football execs do this all the time. Eric DaCosta of the Ravens declined interviews for years as did George Paton who was with the Vikings and accepted the Broncos GM job last year. Dodds does not have to make himself available for any position.

Not everything has to be seen in a negative light. (I am not referring to you.) If the Colts like him, this should be good news, not bad. 

By all accounts, Ballard values him.

So I'm happy he's staying.

But yes, guys pull their names all the time. Sometimes they do that when they know they are not a primary target (just an interview stat stuffer lol). Sometimes they just want or don't want a particular franchise. We'll never know.

Archived