Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mock Draft have colts taking Carson Strong

13 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Strong is super immobile though. Not opposed to the idea, but I don’t love the player. Was Desmond Ridder available when he made that pick?

I don't dislike him as a QB prospect, but yea, he's not very mobile and is a pure pocket passer. He also likes to force it to his first read when he's under pressure instead of going through the rest of his progressions, which is not ideal...

10 minutes ago, Shive said:

I don't dislike him as a QB prospect, but yea, he's not very mobile and is a pure pocket passer. He also likes to force it to his first read when he's under pressure instead of going through the rest of his progressions, which is not ideal...

Sounds like a better version of Jacob Eason to me. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Sounds like a better version of Jacob Eason to me. 

I was actually thinking that! lol

He's definitely more accurate, handles pre-snap adjustments, and can read a defense. Probably the same level of mobility though as Eason, struggles at times with throwing with appropriate velocity, and doesn't do well when he's pressured.

30 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Apparently he has a messed up knee from arthritis and has nails in it. That would be a pass from me unless it was like a 4th round pick. A player has to have enough mobility to me to maneuver the pocket and run some bootlegs.

Apparently it's not as big of an issue as it's being made out to be:

Medicals will be huge for him in the pre-draft process.

Having looked at pre-draft analysis for years, its getting pretty obvious that the sports media is promoting the running QB....or at least giving higher draft slotting based upon the ability to run.  Its curious why they do that, but it sort of makes their presentation look like a sermon more than objective analysis.  

Strong is expected to be early second round.  Here is what I read about him in a variety of publications.

70% completion percentage over 2 seasons.

Low interceptions.

Very good deep ball accuracy.

"Quick processor"

"Throws with anticipation"

"Throws his receivers open"

"strong arm"

"slides well in the pocket"

Is 6'4" 215.

"lacks touch on short passes"

"not a strong arm"

"can't extend plays with his legs"

"had knee surgery in high school"

To me, the positives of Strong far out weigh the negatives....because the negatives don't even matter much to NFL QBs.  Extending a play would be great luxury, and lacks touch on short passes could hopefully be coached.   

But quick processor, throws with anticipation, good deep ball accuracy, slides well in the pocket....6'4.   Those sound like the attributes of a top 10 pick to me.

I'm sure there is some reason why he's not projected to be in the first round.  That's fine.  It will probably emerge at some point, but if you simply look at the reasons they have praised QBs like Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Lance, and Love...who is supposed to be the top 10 pick and who would be a  2nd round pick?   I think the sports media has gone off the farm when it comes to evaluating QBs.

Honestly I've watched several games of his throughout this year, and he just doesn't do it for me. At all. No matter how QB thirsty I am at the moment lol.

His numbers themselves aren't all that impressive, as he did play a very weak schedule in a very weak conference. Nothing to him really jumps out at all. Some one said "Mac Jones vibes" which I do not agree with at all. 

The mobility is another level too. Let me put it this way, he looked like big ben in the pocket.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Having looked at pre-draft analysis for years, its getting pretty obvious that the sports media is promoting the running QB....or at least giving higher draft slotting based upon the ability to run.  Its curious why they do that, but it sort of makes their presentation look like a sermon more than objective analysis.  

Strong is expected to be early second round.  Here is what I read about him in a variety of publications.

Low interceptions.

"Quick processor"

"strong arm"

Is 6'4" 215.

"not a strong arm"

To me, the positives of Strong far out weigh the negatives....because the negatives don't even matter much to NFL QBs.  Extending a play would be great luxury, and lacks touch on short passes could hopefully be coached.   

But quick processor, throws with anticipation, good deep ball accuracy, slides well in the pocket....6'4.   Those sound like the attributes of a top 10 pick to me.

I'm sure there is some reason why he's not projected to be in the first round.  That's fine.  It will probably emerge at some point, but if you simply look at the reasons they have praised QBs like Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Lance, and Love...who is supposed to be the top 10 pick and who would be a  2nd round pick?   I think the sports media has gone off the farm when it comes to evaluating QBs.

I have also heard people say he is tough as nails. That profile seems to fit the Colts scheme.

23 hours ago, DougDew said:

Low interceptions.

"Quick processor"

"strong arm"

Is 6'4" 215.

"not a strong arm"

Again... tell me why we would want a QB like this in an offense that is predicated on getting the ball out quick to routes short and intermediate? This is why Eason didn't work amongst other things. Ellingher fits the mold however his arm strength is not good. the days of these statuesque immobile QB's in Indy are over while Frank is here. If the Colts choose a guy like this then I give up as it will clearly tell anyone who is paying attention that the Colts have no idea what they want to be on offense

5 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Again... tell me why we would want a QB like this in an offense that is predicated on getting the ball out quick to routes short and intermediate? This is why Eason didn't work amongst other things. Ellingher fits the mold however his arm strength is not good. the days of these statuesque immobile QB's in Indy are over while Frank is here. If the Colts choose a guy like this then I give up as it will clearly tell anyone who is paying attention that the Colts have no idea what they want to be on offense

They say that he is a quick processor, and is accurate.  70% completion suggests that he knows where to go with the ball and throws it accurately.   I don't think that was ever said about Eason.

Strong sounds to me like a 6'4" Jake Fromm with better arm strength and deep ball accuracy.  Maybe not quite the mental acumen as Fromme, but its way above Eason level, based upon how I read the analysts.

Archived