Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Signing Mike Williams?

25 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

He plays the same position as Pittman so I’d pass.

I'm sure he or Pittman are more than capable of playing and rotating between different positions... all I know is we need upgrades...MJP isn't enough, Strachan has potential. TY would be okay as a cheap slot threat if he can handle going down to half the pay he got last year. He's not worth more than 3.5-4 mil.

50 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I would like to see the Colts get Mike Williams via FA. Let TY walk unless he is open to 3mil with a role reduction. We have to get bigger targets, especially if we run with CW2 again...He tends to miss high.. 

Between Williams' disregard for his body, as well as Wentz's propensity to throw high, I think Williams would be in the hospital by Week 3.

20 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Between Williams' disregard for his body, as well as Wentz's propensity to throw high, I think Williams would be in the hospital by Week 3.

Pittman did take some pounding on 50/50 balls. But he is tough...more reason to try and package Wentz for RW3 or AR12. I'd give up Wentz, Hines, Blackmon, Dayo O,  and a future pick/s to get either QB...

13 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Pittman did take some pounding on 50/50 balls. But he is tough...more reason to try and package Wentz for RW3 or AR12. I'd give up Wentz, Hines, Blackmon, Dayo O,  and a future pick/s to get either QB...

And this is why you are not a GM in the NFL.

19 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

So you’d give up a bunch of low end assets for hall of fame QB play.  If only it was that easy.

I think we are well covered with big WRs

We need a speedy, get-open guy, that has VERY reliable hands.......desperately

Today, other than Dulin, we have no one that the opposing defenses need to worry about getting beat deep with.

Pittman is reliable, but he wont take the top off

Today, opposing defenses, cheat the safeties up, and play the run

We need someone that makes them play a few steps deeper.....

There are actually a few in the draft that would fill that hole, that MIGHT be there when we draft in round 2 (or 3)

WanDale Robinson

Jahan Dotson

John Metchie

Skyy Moore

Jalen Tolbert (A bit taller, but GREAT separation speed)

Romeo Doubs (Same as Jalen Tolbert)

I believe the LTs, and DEs that would would have immediate impact (Start this year) will not be close in

range in the draft. We will need to dip into FA to fill these holes

The problem is we do not have enough $$$ to fill every hole, so we need to fill with the draft.

(WR, TE, CB to develop)

We need to go FA for DE, LT, and FS 

31 minutes ago, Nate! said:

So you’d give up a bunch of low end assets for hall of fame QB play.  If only it was that easy.

Hines is more than low end...it's either try for a trade or stick with Wentz...we may have to let Nelson walk to be a more complete team with all our holes. Reed isn't near as good but is very solid and would be a fraction of Nelson's price...

• Shive changed the title to Signing Mike Williams?
19 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Didn’t know Madden trades were real. 

21 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

He plays the same position as Pittman so I’d pass.

Just curious, but what position is Pascal supposed to be playing?  

I don't disagree with your point, but at this juncture, I'd take any competent receiver at a reasonable price.

38 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Mike Williams gets open, creates separation, and wins 50/50 balls. Who would turn that down lol, due to body type?

Ballard.

44 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Mike Williams gets open, creates separation, and wins 50/50 balls. Who would turn that down lol, due to body type? This place is crazy

Out of these 3 things, only the 50/50 balls is emphatically true. The rest is very hit and miss, not much different than what we have. Keenan Allen in the short passing game gets open consistently and is a great fit for our offense but not Mike Williams whose average depth of routes is much farther and we would be calling routes like the Chud tree for him to succeed.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2021-wide-receiver-rankings

We ain't getting Keenan Allen and Mike Williams is a better fit for Herbert who throws it on a rope in traffic with fewer turnovers than CW, and if Mike Williams is running open like TY did vs Raiders down the sideline, Herbert hits him more often and CW probably does not. Just saying. :dunno:

There was a lot of single coverage on CeeDee Lamb," Aikman explained. "I hate going back to (when I was playing) because nobody cares, but what I see around the league — it's not just Dallas, I've seen it with a lot of teams — a lot of these offenses want to scheme things. The coordinators, it's all about scheme, rather than, 'This corner is playing soft. He's scared to death.' Just run the route tree. Run a comeback. Run a dig route. Run a curl. Run anything."

Aikman went on to say that Michael Irvin would have had 10 catches by halftime if they played him the way Lamb was played. This isn't that hard.

IMO, there is something very wrong regarding the Reich/Wentz combo. 

21 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I'm sure he or Pittman are more than capable of playing and rotating between different positions... all I know is we need upgrades...MJP isn't enough, Strachan has potential. TY would be okay as a cheap slot threat if he can handle going down to half the pay he got last year. He's not worth more than 3.5-4 mil.

Problem isn't that its Reich wanting to have a certain type of player at each WR position which explains the lack of use of Pattmon and why Strachan got very little playing time. Getting Williams for Reich would be Ballard hammering a round peg into a square hole.

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

There was a lot of single coverage on CeeDee Lamb," Aikman explained. "I hate going back to (when I was playing) because nobody cares, but what I see around the league — it's not just Dallas, I've seen it with a lot of teams — a lot of these offenses want to scheme things. The coordinators, it's all about scheme, rather than, 'This corner is playing soft. He's scared to death.' Just run the route tree. Run a comeback. Run a dig route. Run a curl. Run anything."

Aikman went on to say that Michael Irvin would have had 10 catches by halftime if they played him the way Lamb was played. This isn't that hard.

Yep.  Great observation.

The NFL is trending towards having chess players from the bench trying to outperform the players on the field.  Some fans expect that too.

Analytics, traits, situational play calls, scheme, etc. are becoming too much of a factor.

Decisions need to be made on the field, by the captains of the offense in the last 15 seconds of the play clock or after.  

I could go on about the trends that technology bring.  Like employees getting turned into data miners who's role is now to bring data to a few people at the top so they can make all of the decisions.  Some folks see the world being a better place if it was like that, but in football the players on the field have to make a bunch of decisions independent of the coach on the sideline, and that's generally where the game is won and lost.  JMO.

23 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think we are well covered with big WRs

We need a speedy, get-open guy, that has VERY reliable hands.......desperately

Today, other than Dulin, we have no one that the opposing defenses need to worry about getting beat deep with.

Pittman is reliable, but he wont take the top off

Today, opposing defenses, cheat the safeties up, and play the run

We need someone that makes them play a few steps deeper.....

There are actually a few in the draft that would fill that hole, that MIGHT be there when we draft in round 2 (or 3)

WanDale Robinson

Jahan Dotson

John Metchie

Skyy Moore

Jalen Tolbert (A bit taller, but GREAT separation speed)

Romeo Doubs (Same as Jalen Tolbert)

I believe the LTs, and DEs that would would have immediate impact (Start this year) will not be close in

range in the draft. We will need to dip into FA to fill these holes

The problem is we do not have enough $$$ to fill every hole, so we need to fill with the draft.

(WR, TE, CB to develop)

We need to go FA for DE, LT, and FS 

Tolbert is the guy to study and follow at this point, IMO.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4249417/jalen-tolbert

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

Just curious, but what position is Pascal supposed to be playing?  

I don't disagree with your point, but at this juncture, I'd take any competent receiver at a reasonable price.

Pascal should be playing the “Y” or slot receiver position. He actually plays it well, it’s just the QB he had this year wasn’t great. With Jacoby and Phillip he had 600+ yards from the Y position.

I wouldn’t be opposed to upgrading him, but we need a “Z” or flanker receiver.

If you go back to 2017 Carson does really good with bigger WR that have a larger catch radius. Allen Robinson would be another one that would fit in with the Colts really well.  Colts were rumored to be in on him last time he was a FA. Money just got to be too much. I will be watching that one close. I could see that one happening.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

If you go back to 2017 Carson does really good with bigger WR that have a larger catch radius. Allen Robinson would be another one that would fit in with the Colts really well.  Colts were rumored to be in on him last time he was a FA. Money just got to be too much. I will be watching that one close. I could see that one happening.

I could too.  I have seen a few free agent matchup articles seeing him as good fit for the Colts.

On 1/19/2022 at 9:04 AM, TimetobringDfence! said:

Williams is a guy close to $15 mill.    I think there is no chance we’re signing someone that expensive, especially since one year from now, we’re looking at extending Pittman and Taylor.   Plus Williams is highly likely to be responsible-signed by the Chargers. 

Do we need to upgrade WR?    Yes.   But we’re looking for someone who will out-perform their contract.    So, someone who we might sign for roughly $6 mill a year, but who might end up giving us $8-10 mill of value.    

This is also another very good year of WRs to draft.   Look for a probable Day Two pick to take. 

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I could too.  I have seen a few free agent matchup articles seeing him as good fit for the Colts.

Wentz just does better with bigger WR rather then twitchy super fast ones. Everything that I seen was roll outs and one read vertical passing downfield in 2017 I don’t think he was used to doing what we asked of him this season and that is standing in the pocket and surveying the field. I think Reich needs to go back and look at what made him successful in 2017 and try to make some changes to this offense to fit his strengths more. Lawrence Owen said he actually still had a good amount of passes to RB. Just needs to hit them better. Bur get a guy like Robinson with the big catch radius in the middle of the field especially I think Wentz can shine. Question is will Bears franchise him again.  I think they franchised him last season.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Williams is a guy close to $15 mill.    I think there is no chance we’re signing someone that expensive, especially since one year from now, we’re looking at extending Pittman and Taylor.   Plus Williams is highly likely to be responsible-signed by the Chargers. 

Do we need to upgrade WR?    Yes.   But we’re looking for someone who will out-perform their contract.    So, someone who we might sign for roughly $6 mill a year, but who might end up giving us $8-10 mill of value.    

This is also another very good year of WRs to draft.   Look for a probable Day Two pick to take. 

I agree totally. 

The one problem with drafting a WR now is that the stable will be full of really young receivers.  The two old guys, Doyle and TY will be retiring likely.    That's a lot of new young chemistry to mix with a QB who seems to need more chemistry than what he had last year.

While a vet FA would be new, it would at least be a vet.

Maybe Ertz gets added and provides Wentz a comfort zone.

11 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Just a guess but I bet Williams stays with the Chargers. He has a nice situation there with a young QB. We still need to get a a guy that can take the top off a defense. Not sure he does that. We already have Pittman at this WR spot. Both would be good together but a vertical guy still needed.

That might be Williams' preference, but Keenan Allen is only about midway through a 4 year, $80 million extention so I doubt if the Bolts break the bank to keep Mike, who would definitely generate interest in the free agent market.

One of his better games was in 2018 in Kansas City when the Chargers won by a point - Williams personally accounted for 20 of the team's 29 points, scoring 3 touchdowns (1 rushing, 2 receiving) and catching the decisive 2-point conversation with 4 seconds remaining.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=401030874

11 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Allen Robinson is looking at $15 mill+ over 3-5 years.   Does that seem like a Ballard signing. 

Archived