Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If The Colts Had To get a New Head Coach Who Would You Want?

Boss7894

15 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Jimmy G has elite weapons all over the field and still struggles with the accuracy.  Samuel and Kittle are as good as it gets.  Mitchell is s stud, and Aiyuk is better than anyone we have IMO too, AND they have a really good pass catching FB which is always almost impossible to account for defensively.

I am not sure what people think they see in Jimmy G would translate with what we have on the field and our pass pro. 

Plus, he's really good looking and I'd rather my wife continue to compare me to guys like Manning, Luck, and Wentz rather than Jimmy the Dreamboat.

You can replace Deebo with Taylor and Hines with how they use him. Yes A TE would be needed. But it’s clear how they use their WR Jimmy does not have a good arm. He is also dealing with two more injuries for this weekends games. A shoulder and thumb. He really isn’t going to get us where we need to go so giving up picks for him would just not be smart.

5 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

You can replace Deebo with Taylor and Hines with how they use him. Yes A TE would be needed. But it’s clear how they use their WR Jimmy does not have a good arm. He is also dealing with two more injuries for this weekends games. A shoulder and thumb. He really isn’t going to get us where we need to go so giving up picks for him would just not be smart.

Uhh no you could not replace Deebo with Taylor and Hines IMO.  I really don't understand what you are even talking about unless you don't realize that Samuel averages 18.2 ypr on 77 catches.   He is an elite WR (one if the very best) and now he can run too. Kittle is the best TE in football. 

4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Uhh no you could not replace Deebo with Taylor and Hines IMO.  I really don't understand what you are even talking about unless you don't realize that Samuel averages 18.2 ypr on 77 catches.   He is an elite WR (one if the very best) and now he can run too. Kittle is the best TE in football. 

If you don't mind, can we go back to the purpose of the thread. I don't mean to single you out but I have made comments to others and they have been ignored. 

The OP asks who would you like as coach if there was a vacancy. Do you have any favorites? Is there anyone you like?

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

If you don't mind, can we go back to the purpose of the thread. I don't mean to single you out but I have made comments to others and they have been ignored. 

The OP asks who would you like as coach if there was a vacancy. Do you have any favorites? Is there anyone you like?

I get it man. 

I'll take BB.  Any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  Other than that, I haven't a clue.

I'd like a nastier guy if we are going to make a change though.  Tired of the nice guys TBH.  This is football this ain't no garden party.

Not saying nice guys finish last, but I'd like to see a little nasty for a change.  Dungy, Caldwell, Pagano, Frank.  

Just now, NFLfan said:

Thank you for understanding. 

Why not someone on the Colts staff? Who is the Colts OC?

Well it's Brady.  Don't know much about him really.  He doesn't call plays, so it's hard to separate what he is or is not doing.  

I really don't know much about many coaches at all anymore.  Like I know that the kid from GB is having success, but he does have the best player in the game. 

If he's a nasty donkey then why not?  I'd really like to see some harder edges from the HC if we were to make a change though. 

I'd run back into Bruce Arians' arms like a war bride after my husband's 1st tour of duty.  Just to watch his press conferences if nothing else. 

25 minutes ago, Nickster said:

They use Deebo as a RB back mostly. That’s my point. He gets most of his yards on YAC.  Jimmy’s arm isn’t great so  they don’t even use him much as a actual WR.

I will get off this and not comment any more about this unless it’s about Reich.

9 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

They use Deebo as a RB back mostly. That’s my point. He gets most of his yards on YAC.  Jimmy’s arm isn’t great so  they don’t even use him much as a actual WR.

man Deebo had 1400+ yds receiving and averaged over 100 as a WR in the last 3 regular season games.   He is not mostly a RB if you are implying that he's not one of the best WR in the game.  

He's a WR, they are giving a few carries to in loaded offense.  DS puts all kinds of pressure on defenses wherever he lines up.  He averages over 18 ypr man. 

Regardless of what position he plays, we HAVE NO ONE that is a pass catching threat of him or Kittle and or Aiyuk IMO.  Aiyuk is a really really good receiver that is about 4th fiddle with that arsenal of weapons.

I'd say JG underperforms actually man.  They are friggin loaded. 

18 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Well it's Brady.  Don't know much about him really.  He doesn't call plays, so it's hard to separate what he is or is not doing.  

I really don't know much about many coaches at all anymore.  Like I know that the kid from GB is having success, but he does have the best player in the game. 

If he's a nasty donkey then why not?  I'd really like to see some harder edges from the HC if we were to make a change though. 

I'd run back into Bruce Arians' arms like a war bride after my husband's 1st tour of duty.  Just to watch his press conferences if nothing else. 

Its pretty hard to identify up and coming coaches from our fan point of view.  The HC gets so much of the glory and the blame that its really hard to know how much a junior coach contributes.

Not sure that we can judge how good Brady, or Sirianni, or Bienemy would do when the HC takes so much responsibility for the O, and then executed by different QBs.

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

man Deebo had 1400+ yds receiving and averaged over 100 as a WR in the last 3 regular season games.   He is not mostly a RB if you are implying that he's not one of the best WR in the game.  

He's a WR, they are giving a few carries to in loaded offense.  DS puts all kinds of pressure on defenses wherever he lines up.  He averages over 18 ypr man. 

Regardless of what position he plays, we HAVE NO ONE that is a pass catching threat of him or Kittle and or Aiyuk IMO.  Aiyuk is a really really good receiver that is about 4th fiddle with that arsenal of weapons.

I'd say JG underperforms actually man.  They are friggin loaded. 

A receiving yard can be a screen pass. 

No new head coach, but, I'd go with removing the chains binding our current OC Marcus Brady OR hire a new, young, innovative play caller to add some zest to our schemes! Concepts seem to be fine, we just need a bit more dynamic thought involved - like I still to this day do not understand why we don't operate the old Buffalo Bills K-Gun offense that Jim Kelly perfected and Frank Reich probably has burned into his brain from all his years there.....

We have a strong, mobile QB (though we could, or he could improve there)

We have a very talented RB and we have a very talented scat back

We have a big, physical WR

We have a large target at TE and the mobile TE

We only lack the deep threat on the opposite side at WR honestly to mimic that offense.....

Just my $0.02

4 hours ago, Nickster said:

I agree that Deebo is elite.. but settle down with Kittle being the best TE in football. 

Kelce and Waller have surpassed him. 

Just now, TheNextGM said:

I agree that Deebo is elite.. but settle down with Kittle being the best TE in football. 

Kelce and Waller have surpassed him. 

I don't think so.  He is an elite run blocker to go along with being an elite pass catcher.  He was selected All Pro 1st team too.  At any rate he is waaayyyyyyy better than any pass catcher we have. 

If the Colts were in the market for a HC (I know they are not) I would consider these guys in no particular order:

• Mike McDaniel, 49ers OC. 
  • Todd Bowles, Bucs DC. 
  • Raheem Morris, Rams DC.

Of course the ultimate questions about head coaches revolve around management and running a team. While I like the above guys as coordinators that doesn't mean it would work out as HC. 

I'd also consider current S/T coordinators but not sure who specifically. They hardly ever get HC gigs but I think it's a mistake to not at least consider them. It's fine to prefer an offense or defense coach, and I understand the logic behind it, but I think S/T coaches can bring plenty to the table.

23 hours ago, DougDew said:

Doesn't matter.  The teams with the best QBs go to the playoffs.  The teams with the better QBs advance in the playoffs.  The good QBs are good despite coaching changes or team changes.

A pass rusher that makes offenses accountable help teams to get into the playoffs, even with Big Ben as your starting QB, in the case of TJ Watt LOL.

Sam Hubbard.  Bosa, TJ Watt, JJ Watt back in the day. Aaron Donald etc.. 

Passing game talent is needed.  Andrew Luck and Robert Mathis back in the day.

HC and play caller, offensive or defensive, is irrelevant.  I'm surprised there is so much chatter about it.

I know Ballard went on to say it's not about the QB, not about 1 position, but here were are, 4 years later, and I think you are definitely proving him wrong.  It IS about the QB.  Time to fix the one we got or get the one that will win for us.

33 minutes ago, ar7 said:

If the Colts were in the market for a HC (I know they are not) I would consider these guys in no particular order:

• Mike McDaniel, 49ers OC. 
  • Todd Bowles, Bucs DC. 
  • Raheem Morris, Rams DC.

Of course the ultimate questions about head coaches revolve around management and running a team. While I like the above guys as coordinators that doesn't mean it would work out as HC. 

I'd also consider current S/T coordinators but not sure who specifically. They hardly ever get HC gigs but I think it's a mistake to not at least consider them. It's fine to prefer an offense or defense coach, and I understand the logic behind it, but I think S/T coaches can bring plenty to the table.

Thank you for bringing the thread back on topic. 

IF we hired a new coach.... hmmm. I have scratched my head at some of the play calls, I do love the sneaky calls (reverse end around, toss back to the qb). However, in the world of dreams and fantasy: I'd pick Jim Harbaugh. That would end the reign of the meek coaches here in Indy for sure.

On 1/19/2022 at 9:40 AM, Scott Pennock said:

No new head coach, but, I'd go with removing the chains binding our current OC Marcus Brady OR hire a new, young, innovative play caller to add some zest to our schemes! Concepts seem to be fine, we just need a bit more dynamic thought involved - like I still to this day do not understand why we don't operate the old Buffalo Bills K-Gun offense that Jim Kelly perfected and Frank Reich probably has burned into his brain from all his years there.....

We have a strong, mobile QB (though we could, or he could improve there)

We have a very talented RB and we have a very talented scat back

We have a big, physical WR

We have a large target at TE and the mobile TE

We only lack the deep threat on the opposite side at WR honestly to mimic that offense.....

Just my $0.02

“Removing chains binding our OC, Marcus Brady”…???

Huh?!?

Care to elaborate?   What chains?   

26 minutes ago, J@son said:

I'd assume he means let Brady be the playcaller

Yeah, that’s what I thought too.  I just don’t understand that.  Could Brady be better?   Yes, but it’s not likely.   I think the odds would be that he’s not as good as Frank.  Maybe not terrible, but likely not as good.   

I know many want a new play caller, and depending on the moment, I do too.  But on balance I still think Frank is an above average play caller that I hope will get better with better weapons.  

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

“Removing chains binding our OC, Marcus Brady”…???

Huh?!?

Care to elaborate?   What chains?   

AKA he is part of the game planning process but no part of the play calling! He was hired for a reason, and when the head coach is the primary (and only in our case) play caller sometimes the emotions and ego gets rolled up into poor decisions.

If Frank were simply the head coach I would bet some of those baffling 4th down attempts would go away because he is not involved in the play calling.

Chains.....lol......or at least the reason why I wrote it that way!

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah, that’s what I thought too.  I just don’t understand that.  Could Brady be better?   Yes, but it’s not likely.   I think the odds would be that he’s not as good as Frank.  Maybe not terrible, but likely not as good.   

I know many want a new play caller, and depending on the moment, I do too.  But on balance I still think Frank is an above average play caller that I hope will get better with better weapons.  

Sorry, but Franks play calling has cost us multiple wins the last couple of seasons??

On 1/19/2022 at 10:55 AM, Nickster said:

Jimmy G has elite weapons all over the field and still struggles with the accuracy.  Samuel and Kittle are as good as it gets.  Mitchell is s stud, and Aiyuk is better than anyone we have IMO too, AND they have a really good pass catching FB which is always almost impossible to account for defensively.

I am not sure what people think they see in Jimmy G would translate with what we have on the field and our pass pro. 

Plus, he's really good looking and I'd rather my wife continue to compare me to guys like Manning, Luck, and Wentz rather than Jimmy the Dreamboat.

I will say Jimmy G has weapons I would love to see Debo and Kittle on this team. Not happening.. Stop the Madden trades. Haha Debo is better than any receiver we have. Kittle is just a way better TE than we have. Kittle can block and make huge pass plays. Kind of what we had with Dallas Clark. I wouldn't say Mitchell is better than what we have(JT) and I wouldn't say Aiyuk is better than Pittman. It is the play calling that is the difference. Everyone knows 49ners play calling is so much more creative than the Colts. JMO

Archived