Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If The Colts Had To get a New Head Coach Who Would You Want?

Boss7894

Doesn't matter.  The teams with the best QBs go to the playoffs.  The teams with the better QBs advance in the playoffs.  The good QBs are good despite coaching changes or team changes.

A pass rusher that makes offenses accountable help teams to get into the playoffs, even with Big Ben as your starting QB, in the case of TJ Watt LOL.

Sam Hubbard.  Bosa, TJ Watt, JJ Watt back in the day. Aaron Donald etc.. 

Passing game talent is needed.  Andrew Luck and Robert Mathis back in the day.

HC and play caller, offensive or defensive, is irrelevant.  I'm surprised there is so much chatter about it.

Raheem Morris (DC), Kevin O'Connell (OC) and Thomas Brown (RBs coach) from the Rams

Nathaniel Hackett (OC) from the Packers

Matt Campbell (HC) from Iowa State

Lincoln Riley (HC) from USC

Those 6 would be on my wishlist though Reich with a QB who doesn't limit the playbook would probably still be my preference

Same coach I wanted last year in Kellen Moore. I was scared he'd go to the Texans instead of David Culley. Next Sean McVay IMO. I would love Jim Harbaugh if he came back to the NFL from the college ranks. True alpha male that has had NFL success. Last guy I'd take a chance on is Eric Beiniemy. I don't know 100% how much is him or Andy Reid in coaching Mahomes, but I would take him over Frank Reich as Reich can't even do much with QBs he's actually coached before (Rivers and Wentz).

You all have some interesting names there. 

@Jared Cisneros I like Kellen Moore but Vikes fan are jumping off his bandwagon after the last playoff game. He seems calm and professional. I do like him. 

12 hours ago, TheMiz said:

Caldwell never should have been fired from Detroit, and it makes no sense that he hasn't been given another shot.

I agree with that, but there is no way the Colts would re-hire him. I think he would be a great coach for a team with a young QB like the Jags.

13 hours ago, tvturner said:

Kevin O'Connell (OC)

That is who I want for the Vikings but I can't say I know much about him. It seems that coaches from the McVay coaching tree have had some success (not much of a sample size but good enough). 

15 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

You all have some interesting names there. 

@Jared Cisneros I like Kellen Moore but Vikes fan are jumping off his bandwagon after the last playoff game. He seems calm and professional. I do like him. 

I agree with that, but there is no way the Colts would re-hire him. I think he would be a great coach for a team with a young QB like the Jags.

That is who I want for the Vikings but I can't say I know much about him. It seems that coaches from the McVay coaching tree have had some success (not much of a sample size but good enough). 

The last play in the Dallas/SF game was puzzling, but to me, it's not enough to disqualify Kellen Moore as a coaching hire. I still think he's the best young hire in the NFL, and the exact guy I want to take a chance on. He's extremely intelligent, and I believe he would elevate this team and its offense to a level where we can compete in the playoffs. He also uses more than 1 RB. That could be a good or bad thing for Taylor, but it would allow us to use Hines more, and whatever other RB we sign in FA or draft this year to replace Mack. 

I don't think Reich is the worst coach in the NFL and he really hasn't had any consistency with QBs from year to year, but his playcalling is horrible, and I don't like him at all as a coach. No one takes any blame or responsibility for failure on this team, when Reich says it's on him and he needs to change he never does, and although he's not the sole reason for the collapse this season, I feel he is a mediocre coach that makes a lot of poor decisions and can't make the playoffs unless conditions are perfect for him. 

We haven't won the division with Reich as HC, and we always start slow. Part of that is having new QBs every year yes, but he has some familarity with these guys and it's a chore watching him and just praying he doesn't screw up during a game because he'll abandon the run game, or favor carson and pass it. I don't feel the winning streak we had before the last two games had anything to do with Reich, I just feel it is due to Taylor being elite. 

Moore is my dream young coach for over a year now, but I know it won't happen. I believe either Dallas will fire McCarthy and promote Moore to HC before he goes to another team, or he'll get hired relatively quickly by another team. Some fanbase is going to be very lucky. Wish it was us. :( 

58 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I believe either Dallas will fire McCarthy and promote Moore to HC before he goes to another team, or he'll get hired relatively quickly by another team. Some fanbase is going to be very lucky.

That is very likely. However, according to Jerry Jones, McCarthy will be the head coach next year. Who knows. If Moore does not take a job with another team, it is possible he is waiting for the Cowboys head coaching job.

I wonder how many will say that McCarthy is an offensive guru and therefore not much of the Dallas offense can be attributed to Moore. I'm hearing some giving that as a reason not to hire Bienemy (as Andy Reid is an offensive mind).

Why is Daboll not getting more interviews? He is doing a great job with the Bills offense. 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

All jokes aside I would keep Reich.

I mean it’s not Reich’s fault luck retired and they can’t find a QB. It falls more on Ballard then I think it does on Reich. After 2019 there should of been a emphasis on having a young guy in here developing.  I know covid and that dumb JB contract  threw a wrench into that bur no excuses. Davis Mills looks perfectly capable of playing well. A guy like that could come in on this team and probably have a good record.  Gives you time to find the one.

10 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

A new HC doesn’t solve the QB issue.

While that is true, it does not seem like the OP is advocating for that. He seems to want to know which coaches people like. That generates thought and conversation. 

Hopefully more people will comment on that. 

15 hours ago, DougDew said:

Doesn't matter.  The teams with the best QBs go to the playoffs.  The teams with the better QBs advance in the playoffs.  The good QBs are good despite coaching changes or team changes.

A pass rusher that makes offenses accountable help teams to get into the playoffs, even with Big Ben as your starting QB, in the case of TJ Watt LOL.

Sam Hubbard.  Bosa, TJ Watt, JJ Watt back in the day. Aaron Donald etc.. 

Passing game talent is needed.  Andrew Luck and Robert Mathis back in the day.

HC and play caller, offensive or defensive, is irrelevant.  I'm surprised there is so much chatter about it.

Only thing I would add is it's probably rare for 30th ranked pass protecting offenses to make the playoffs even with great QB.

LTs matter. 

7 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I mean it’s not Reich’s fault luck retired and they can’t find a QB. It falls more on Ballard then I think it does on Reich. After 2019 there should of been a emphasis on having a young guy in here developing.  I know covid and that dumb JB co tact threw a wrench into that bur no excuses. Davis Mills looks perfectly capable of playing well. A guy like that could come in on this team and probably have a good record. 

I still like Jimmy G, he is only 30 and  has won some huge playoff games, he has a fast release and would fit our offense perfectly. He damn near won a SB but KC was just too much. I think here he would still healthy as well because of our Line, I bet with him our Line would go from 30th in Pass Protect to at least mid level = 15th or so. Our run game is like the 49ers is as well and has been. He thrives on that. He makes some dumb passes at times but all QB's do. I would get him and pick up a TE Free Agency if we don't stay with Wentz, just my 2 cents.  

Any other thoughts on coaches? 

If you had to hire a new coach, would you want an offensive-minded or a defensive-minded guy. Or maybe someone who focuses on special teams like John Fassel.

My favorite coach in the league, John Harbaugh, was a special teams  coach. @holeymoley99 mentioned Dave Toub. Any others?

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still like Jimmy G, he is only 30 and  has won some huge playoff games, he has a fast release and would fit our offense perfectly. He damn near won a SB but KC was just too much. I think here he would still healthy as well because of our Line, I bet with him our Line would go from 30th in Pass Protect to at least mid level = 15th or so. Our run game is like the 49ers is as well and has been. He thrives on that. He makes some dumb passes at times but all QB's do. I would get him and pick up a TE Free Agency if we don't stay with Wentz, just my 2 cents.  

Garoppolo has trouble hitting passes outside the numbers. Mostly accurate in between the numbers.  He has trouble staying healthy. Colts offensive line not good especially for money being paid. Makes elementary mistake late in game on qb sneak not waiting for line to get set. Mistakes like that just can’t happen. 

30 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Jimmy G has elite weapons all over the field and still struggles with the accuracy.  Samuel and Kittle are as good as it gets.  Mitchell is s stud, and Aiyuk is better than anyone we have IMO too, AND they have a really good pass catching FB which is always almost impossible to account for defensively.

I am not sure what people think they see in Jimmy G would translate with what we have on the field and our pass pro. 

Plus, he's really good looking and I'd rather my wife continue to compare me to guys like Manning, Luck, and Wentz rather than Jimmy the Dreamboat.

Archived