Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eberflus hired as Bears new HC *UPDATED*

dw49

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple of thoughts on this:

First, happy for Flus if he becomes a head coach. He is a Colt, so I'll root for him to get a shot at achieving his dreams.

If he does get hired by the Jaguars, then I hope that we do not simply replace him with someone in-house, (seems contradictory that I would not want to hire a Colt for the job. I'm such a hypocrite! hahaha). The reason is because I am not a fan of the scheme and I would like for a new DC to bring in a new scheme.

9 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

How do we replace him? Without changing schemes who would Frank and Ballard look at? Curious minds!!

I would look at teams dline coaches. Ones that have a good pass rush. Someone that knows what they are doing and how to create pressure.Colts will do their usual thing though and keep things the same and would probably promote from within. Which is not the right decision.

40 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

How do we replace him? Without changing schemes who would Frank and Ballard look at? Curious minds!!

If the Colts keep a similar scheme:

Lovie Smith is possible. He was the Texans DC last year.

Gus Bradley might become available depending on who the Raiders go with as their HC.

I know you said without changing the scheme but there is someone worth mentioning  if the Colts did change up their scheme a bit:

Wade Phillips.

I read his book “Son of a Bum”. In it he mentioned a few different coaches who expressed interest in him as their DC. One of them was Frank Reich. Reich believed he had a shot at the Bills and Jets HC openings. I believe this was 2015 when Wade ended back up in Denver. I doubt Ballard would want to change up things much though.

Just now, csmopar said:

yep, good luck Flus!!! 

that said, anyone with half a brain would avoid Jacksonville like the plague. Especially as a first time HC

Well he has more then the colts have right now at QB and DE. He has a stud pass rusher and will probably get another one in the draft with that first pick from what I understand. Also has a QB. Colts have neither of those.

36 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Lovie Smith was Dungy's LB coach in Tampa.  And he ran this scheme in Chicago when he went to the supebowl.

Mike Zimmer has a long history of making a 4-3 run well, especially with the Cowboys.  I would want to investigate fully the player accusations of him basically being a jerk.  But he's got the goods.

Leslie Frazier has also had DC and HC experience, running this defense.

44 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I don’t want to changed schemes but we need to play a traditional 4-3 man/zone scheme not cover 2 base to be able to get guys off the field in 4th

9 minutes ago, csmopar said:

yep, good luck Flus!!! 

that said, anyone with half a brain would avoid Jacksonville like the plague. Especially as a first time HC

I'd take the Jax job, I'd just make sure the salary is guaranteed, and I'd have several clauses lol... 

They have some good pieces, and have good draft capital. 

I'd like to see Flus in another environment. Part of me would expect his D to look different, and more aggressive, if he were calling 100% of the shots. 

7 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I was just reading Fangio and Reich are friends. Is that true?

IIRC, Vangio prefers a 34.  Switching schemes to get the right players in the right spots would take a couple of drafts.  Some would carry over, but not all.  Or fund the new roster quickly with mid level FAs ala Grigson.

The problems aren’t Flus.  People act like he sits in Cover-2 every play and telegraphs to the offense what the Colts are doing.  There are different zones they play throughout the games. Toward the end of the season he was playing more man coverages.  

First and foremost it doesn’t matter what coverage you play without a pass rush. Why was Kenny Moore getting roasted toward the end of the season?  Good luck covering guys in the slot on an island in man coverage without a pass rush. Also, unlike the Colts QB the good ones can read coverages if there isn’t a lot of pressure and quite frankly most are better than Wentz reading pre-snap so they get the ball out quickly. Easy pickings without pressure. 

Thus, people’s frustrations should be with either personnel or the position coach or both. Flus is highly regarded around the league for a reason. 

5 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

The problems aren’t Flus.  People act like he sits in Cover-2 every play and telegraphs to the offense what the Colts are doing.  There are different zones they play throughout the games. Toward the end of the season he was playing more man coverages.  

First and foremost it doesn’t matter what coverage you play without a pass rush. Why was Kenny Moore getting roasted toward the end of the season?  Good luck covering guys in the slot on an island in man coverage without a pass rush. Also, unlike the Colts QB the good ones can read coverages if there isn’t a lot of pressure and quite frankly most are better than Wentz reading pre-snap so they get the ball out quickly. Easy pickings without pressure. 

Thus, people’s frustrations should be with either personnel or the position coach or both. Flus is highly regarded around the league for a reason. 

Ever stop and think him and Baker don’t know how to create a pass rush scheme and it’s not all the players.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Ever stop and think him and Baker don’t know how to create a pass rush scheme and it’s not all the players.

Players have to beat their opponents.  At least once in a while.

IMO, its wrong to think of a DC as a puppetmaster wizard who wins or loses because of how well he plays chess.

Chess playing is a great evaluation of strategy  skills, when both teams have the same pieces.  The coach that has no queens and bishops but only Rooks and Knights can't be expected to keep up.  

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

IMO, its wrong to think of a DC as a puppetmaster wizard who wins or loses because of how well he plays chess.

Chess playing is a great evaluation of strategy  skills, when both teams have the same pieces.  The coach that has no queens and bishops but only Rooks and Knights can't be expected to keep up.  

Have to have schemes. Ours looks vanilla. Have to do more then just expecting the player to win their battle. What sort of  stunts and stuff are they using. Ours just looks basic.

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Flus may very well be a good HC. Because someone else will be DC.

I’ll never understand this.

Matt Eberflus is not our problem.  For his defense to perform as well as it has with below average pass rushers and some middling DBs is remarkable.  It’s not his fault Ballard hasn’t filled those spots better.

I’m not the least bit surprised he’s held in high esteem around the league.  Mark my words:  we’ll miss him if/when he’s gone.

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well, the jags doing what jags do lol.

Our pass D was ranked 29th in the 4th quarter.

To be fair he will have no excuses because he would have a stud at DE. Will probably get another.

Just now, luv_pony_express said:

I’ll never understand this.

Matt Eberflus is not our problem.  For his defense to perform as well as it has with below average pass rushers and some middling DBs is remarkable.  It’s not his fault Ballard hasn’t filled those spots better.

I’m not the least bit surprised he’s held in high esteem around the league.  Mark my words:  we’ll miss him if/when he’s gone.

Why is everything put on the players. Where are the pass rush schemes. Ours looks basic and doesn’t look like they try anything.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, but you can keep moving your pawns forward until they become Queens. haha

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Have to have schemes. Ours looks vanilla. Have to do more then just expecting the player to win their battle. What sort of  stunts and stuff are they using. Ours just looks basic.

AQM is too slow to stunt, effectively on a frequent basis.   So is Grover.

Colts: Freeney, Mathis, Booger, Bob Sanders.

Tampa: Warren Sapp, Booger, Derrick Brooks, John Lynch.  Later Suh, Lavonte David, and the rookie Winfield at S.

Chicago: Tommie Harris, Alex Brown, Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs.

Vanilla is fine.  A team that relies on having a master chess player on the sidelines is going to fail.

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I would look at teams dline coaches. Ones that have a good pass rush. Someone that knows what they are doing and how to create pressure.Colts will do their usual thing though and keep things the same and would probably promote from within. Which is not the right decision.

I would not go against this thought as you can find someone that allows for better coaching and blitz rates. 

At some point we have to quit blaming Ballard for drafting bad edge players. There is something deeper going on. I will say this as a possibility though. Ballard has relied a lot on drafting edge guys with traits instead of actual college production. Maybe that’s part of the issue. Just start drafting guys that did it in college and stop with oh they got traits. Sometimes a guy is just good and can play football. Maybe he over thinks it.

I urge everyone to go back and watch the aggressiveness of the defense vs. the Patriots. Flus knew that the key to beating a rookie QB was to pressure him and play press man coverage so that the QB didn’t have quick, easy reads. His strategy worked.

Then he forgot all about it against the Jaguars rookie QB and played a soft cover 2 all game. We got torched!

Flus is so conservative and has the most vanilla scheme and game plan. From time to time he’ll break free from his tendencies, but will always retreat back to his old ways, allowing easy completions left and right.

Archived