Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eberflus hired as Bears new HC *UPDATED*

dw49

1 hour ago, ar7 said:

If the Colts keep a similar scheme:

Lovie Smith is possible. He was the Texans DC last year.

Gus Bradley might become available depending on who the Raiders go with as their HC.

I know you said without changing the scheme but there is someone worth mentioning  if the Colts did change up their scheme a bit:

Wade Phillips.

I read his book “Son of a Bum”. In it he mentioned a few different coaches who expressed interest in him as their DC. One of them was Frank Reich. Reich believed he had a shot at the Bills and Jets HC openings. I believe this was 2015 when Wade ended back up in Denver. I doubt Ballard would want to change up things much though.

I do not like Lovie. He is a true Tampa 2 guy which I don’t think works in todays NFL. I am fine with Wade Phillips if he would coach but still he typically coaches a 3-4 correct? This changes a lot of things that Ballard would not be on board with IMO. Gus Bradley would be something that agin might not fit right now because we do not have a FS. He runs a lot of single high coverages either in cover 1 or 3. 

22 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well, the jags doing what jags do lol.

Our pass D was ranked 29th in the 4th quarter.

That's the backhanded way BB described us before we played.  "The Colts are the best 1st quarter team in the NFL", LOL.

Then Fisher happened to throw a great block to spring JT up the gut after struggling most of the game.  NE had the momentum in the 4Q and we were trying to hang on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

AQM is too slow to stunt, effectively on a frequent basis.   So is Grover.

Colts: Freeney, Mathis, Booger, Bob Sanders.

Tampa: Warren Sapp, Booger, Derrick Brooks, John Lynch.  Later Suh, Lavonte David, and the rookie Winfield at S.

Chicago: Tommie Harris, Alex Brown, Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs.

Vanilla is fine.  A team that relies on having a master chess player on the sidelines is going to fail.

Overly vanilla isn't fine. 

We had 3 guys (2 on the DL), that went elsewhere and performed much better in different schemes. 

Autry had a career year lol... An aging Houston graded out 16pts better this year over his 2020 in Indy. 

AQM can stunt. He's not a speed edge, but you don't need a speed edge to stunt.

We have Paye, Dayo, and Defo, all of whom have stunted and lined up all over the place a good amount in previous stops. 

I'd agree somewhat if we were even close to average in blitz % (median is 25%), but we are not. We did try to start blitzing a little more later in the season, but we were really inconsistent in the area overall. Defo's lack of stats in the pressure and sack area are absolutely a product of our soggy conservative scheme. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ar7 said:

If the Colts keep a similar scheme:

Lovie Smith is possible. He was the Texans DC last year.

Gus Bradley might become available depending on who the Raiders go with as their HC.

I know you said without changing the scheme but there is someone worth mentioning  if the Colts did change up their scheme a bit:

Wade Phillips.

I read his book “Son of a Bum”. In it he mentioned a few different coaches who expressed interest in him as their DC. One of them was Frank Reich. Reich believed he had a shot at the Bills and Jets HC openings. I believe this was 2015 when Wade ended back up in Denver. I doubt Ballard would want to change up things much though.

I’d like to see zimmer brought it but of that list I’d be take Wade but honestly it would probably be neither of them.  Remember they hired from within to replace their OC last year.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Lovie Smith was Dungy's LB coach in Tampa.  And he ran this scheme in Chicago when he went to the supebowl.

Mike Zimmer has a long history of making a 4-3 run well, especially with the Cowboys.  I would want to investigate fully the player accusations of him basically being a jerk.  But he's got the goods.

Leslie Frazier has also had DC and HC experience, running this defense.

I am aware of Lovie and do not like him as our DC. Frazier being a Smith disciple would be someone that I might be hesitant on. The only fact I like is he is similar to Flus but would blitz more. He likes cover 2 Nickel which is what we are geared for now.  I am not to familiar with Zimmer as a DC. 

2 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I do not like Lovie. He is a true Tampa 2 guy which I don’t think works in todays NFL. I am fine with Wade Phillips if he would coach but still he typically coaches a 3-4 correct? This changes a lot of things that Ballard would not be on board with IMO. Gus Bradley would be something that agin might not fit right now because we do not have a FS. He runs a lot of single high coverages either in cover 1 or 3. 

Scheme doesn't matter as much as it used to.

As  Ballard said, in the end, everybody is playing nickel D.  But the base D's of a 43 zone and 34 press man require different players.

The 34 players have a variety of talent to scheme with.  Compared to the 34, the 43 has kind of pigeon holed talent that can't do as many variety of things as well as the 34 roster.  The dline has to win their one on ones, plain and simple.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Scheme doesn't matter as much as it used to.

As  Ballard said, in the end, everybody is playing nickel D.  But the base D's of a 43 zone and 34 press man require different players.

The 34 players have a variety of talent to scheme with.  Compared to the 34, the 43 has kind of pigeon holed talent that can't do as many variety of things as well as the 34 roster.  The dline has to win their one on ones, plain and simple.

I agree but not with Lovie. He is tried and true with his “safe” zone coverage. As a DC I see him as being a less effective Flus to be honest. Maybe that’s just me but I want someone who is a little more aggressive. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Yeah Wade does run the 3-4 but his is a different variation as it’s a 1 gap scheme. Certainly different from what the Colts run now but I think he could work with most of the current personnel easily so it wouldn’t be as big of a change as it might seem at first glance. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

To tell you the truth I like a 3-4 better. I think it relies less on one on one matchups. When you use a so called OLB.  I think it gives the pass rushers more room to operate.

OLB that are great with this scheme are not easy to find. Plus our current roster doesn’t fit this. We would have a setback yet again with the roster. I just don’t see Ballard going for this based on his 4 years of roster building. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ar7 said:

Yeah Wade does run the 3-4 but his is a different variation as it’s a 1 gap scheme. Certainly different from what the Colts run now but I think he could work with most of the current personnel easily so it wouldn’t be as big of a change as it might seem at first glance. 

Who would be a key OLB pass rusher? Turay. We would need some good speed and bend. 

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

OLB that are great with this scheme are not easy to find. Plus our current roster doesn’t fit this. We would have a setback yet again with the roster. I just don’t see Ballard going for this based on his 4 years of roster building. 

I know they won’t change. I just like it better.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Overly vanilla isn't fine. 

We had 3 guys (2 on the DL), that went elsewhere and performed much better in different schemes. 

Autry had a career year lol... An aging Houston graded out 16pts better this year over his 2020 in Indy. 

AQM can stunt. He's not a speed edge, but you don't need a speed edge to stunt.

We have Paye, Dayo, and Defo, all of whom have stunted and lined up all over the place a good amount in previous stops. 

I'd agree somewhat if we were even close to average in blitz % (median is 25%), but we are not. We did try to start blitzing a little more later in the season, but we were really inconsistent in the area overall. Defo's lack of stats in the pressure and sack area are absolutely a product of our soggy conservative scheme. 

All pass rushing, no matter what the scheme, requires speed and athleticism to start with, no matter from which gap its coming from.  AQM has effort.

Defo said himself that he has been double teamed the most this year in his career.  That speaks to the lack of Autry and possibly Houston.

The other players went on to have better seasons when playing with better players around them.   Defo had a worse season when they left.

Chicken or the egg debates tend to go nowhere.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

To tell you the truth I like a 3-4 better. I think it relies less on one on one matchups. When you use a so called OLB.  I think it gives the pass rushers more room to operate.

Its common knowledge though that it takes more expensive players to fund.  The corners have to be able to play press man coverage...one on one...and that's generally a first round pick.  The EDGE pass rusher has to be able to drop back in coverage.  That guy who is strong enough to rush the passer but nimble enough to drop backwards requires talent only gotten in the first round.  The NT needs to be able to anchor against double teams consistently and not get pushed around.  The 3T still needs to be a 3T.  The safety needs to be able to cover one on one occasionally but also go sideline to side line.   I'm sure that I'm missing some other things....

If a player is going to be asked to do different things, he needs to be more talented than the player who is asked to cover his zone and keep the play in front of him.

The front 4 need to win their battles, both in the run game and the passing game.  That's the key to the 43.

Its why Dungy preferred his 43.  It was easy to get rookies to play it well on their cheap contracts so money can be spent elsewhere.  Its not a scheme that's really meant to be played with a $60M WILL.  But Dungy always had high talent everywhere on that D in Tampa, and Lovie in CHI (with Brad Johnson and Grossman as QBs, LOL.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Lovie Smith was Dungy's LB coach in Tampa.  And he ran this scheme in Chicago when he went to the supebowl.

Mike Zimmer has a long history of making a 4-3 run well, especially with the Cowboys.  I would want to investigate fully the player accusations of him basically being a jerk.  But he's got the goods.

Leslie Frazier has also had DC and HC experience, running this defense.

Lovie Smith and Brian Flores both seem very plausible as replacements... Now who do we get for Frank lol...

45 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

3-4 requires extremely hard to find players at LB to make it work. We tried it, failed. Miserably. 

a 3-4 is also the most expensive defensive to field mainly due to the above reasons.

no, we have the right players for a 4-3, we just need a better game plan and play calling 

22 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Is Brian Flores a defensive mind? He had 2 winning seasons with an average roster in Miami...

Yes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Ever stop and think him and Baker don’t know how to create a pass rush scheme and it’s not all the players.

Lol yea I’m sure that’s what it is. Ever stop to think those 2 have forgot more about defense then you’ll ever know?

2 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

The problems aren’t Flus.  People act like he sits in Cover-2 every play and telegraphs to the offense what the Colts are doing.  There are different zones they play throughout the games. Toward the end of the season he was playing more man coverages.  

First and foremost it doesn’t matter what coverage you play without a pass rush. Why was Kenny Moore getting roasted toward the end of the season?  Good luck covering guys in the slot on an island in man coverage without a pass rush. Also, unlike the Colts QB the good ones can read coverages if there isn’t a lot of pressure and quite frankly most are better than Wentz reading pre-snap so they get the ball out quickly. Easy pickings without pressure. 

Thus, people’s frustrations should be with either personnel or the position coach or both. Flus is highly regarded around the league for a reason. 

I'd add though a few things.

Flus is responsible for DL scheme too. We blitzed at a very low rate. 2 guys we let go went on to perform much better at other places in different schemes. 

And on Kenny, he did fine in the slot/box. He struggled most when playing outside, and on the inside when playing vertical routes. That's kinda due to scheme, and also injury (forcing him to play outside). When asked to play typical slot and in the box, he did well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

All pass rushing, no matter what the scheme, requires speed and athleticism to start with, no matter from which gap its coming from.  AQM has effort.

Defo said himself that he has been double teamed the most this year in his career.  That speaks to the lack of Autry and possibly Houston.

The other players went on to have better seasons when playing with better players around them.   Defo had a worse season when they left.

Chicken or the egg debates tend to go nowhere.

Autry went to a place that was bad (DL stats) last year. 

Houston went to a place that lost a ton of talent this year.

They both individually achieved. 

A front 4 including Defo, Autry, and Houston, should have been far more potent last year. It wasn't. And that's scheme. 

• Like 3

I personally can't wait to see next years rushers as some forget both the edge rushers this year in Dayo and Paye were ROOKIES, and both coming off injuries. I fully expect them to get better this offseason and theres this exColt quarterback hater that has praise for both.

2 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Is Brian Flores a defensive mind? He had 2 winning seasons with an average roster in Miami...

Yeah he was Linebacker and safety coach along with defensive play caller in the past.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bravo4460 said:

Yeah he was Linebacker and safety coach along with defensive play caller in the past.

I think he probably gets a head gig this year, but man if we got him as our DC, man, I'd be over the moon. I think our defensive guys would love him. Would be a nice compliment to our staff personality wise. We have to many "everythings ok, nice guys" he'd be a perfect fit for us.

• Like 1

very surprised no one else has mentioned this but if the jags do sign flus he would most likely do the same as sirrianni and take more staff people off our current staff just as he did. so once again there be many shoes to fill in those position areas possibly 

• Shive changed the title to Eberflus hired as Bears new HC *UPDATED*