Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Reich can keep his job

twfish

I know many fans are very soured right now and coming off of wanting to clean house, but Reich will be our coach next year. Honestly I really like Reich, players get behind him, he's gutsy, a incredible leader and he is a great game planner for the most part. After this season he has to be feeling some heat underneath his feet especially with such a slow start to the season and then to completely crumble at the end. Hopefully he's feeling enough heat to make a change that otherwise I believe him to be too arrogant for. 

He needs to give up play calling. Stay part of the game planning because most games we came out firing on all cylinders and its why we played with such a lead for so long. Halftime adjustments were kept to a minimal it felt like and we were so freaking predictable. Way too many long developing pass plays when we had a battered o-line. Not nearly enough pitches or counters in the run game and really felt for the most part our play action was under utilized often times with bad route trees imho. I really felt like we underutilized the slot position as well as TE's. I am aware Wentz missed receivers but play calling helped none.

It's like we would go into games with a game plan and just stick to it daring the defense to stop us and when they did we did nothing to adjust. That or we would take a lead and then in the 3rd quarter we would take our foot off the gas and play prevent. I think we have winning pieces and hopefully with additions this offseason we will have team to go the distance because I truly belive we are on the cusps of it.

If you forgive the last two games (especially the last fiasco) Reich has been pretty good.  We scored enough to win just about every game.

I do agree that he needed to dial up quicker passes because the O line was extremely overrated when it came to pass protection.  But some of that may be on Wentz for not seeing and reacting to the safety valve.

Reich is keeping his job, as well as Ballard.  They just got extensions.  

Not too sure about Wentz though.

If I were Frank Reich, I would develop a game plan knowing that I have million dollar players that are professionals at what they do and for the positions they play.  I would plan with the following expectations:

That the left tackle could provide a reasonable level of pass protection.

The Qb sees the open RB in the flat for which the play design called for as an optional target.

That the QB throws a pass the receiver can catch.

That the receiver can catch the ball at an expected rate.

That professional receivers can get open at an expected rate without expecting a wizard on the sideline to scheme them open.

That a pass rusher in a 43 can get sacks without having to have a wizard on the sidelines scheming different dline calls or blitzes.

That a LB can contest a pass in the center of the field once in a while....or even once in a season, LOL.

Not having to have a 34 SS playing deep man coverage.

3 hours ago, twfish said:

I know many fans are very soured right now and coming off of wanting to clean house, but Reich will be our coach next year. Honestly I really like Reich, players get behind him, he's gutsy, a incredible leader and he is a great game planner for the most part. After this season he has to be feeling some heat underneath his feet especially with such a slow start to the season and then to completely crumble at the end. Hopefully he's feeling enough heat to make a change that otherwise I believe him to be too arrogant for. 

He needs to give up play calling. Stay part of the game planning because most games we came out firing on all cylinders and its why we played with such a lead for so long. Halftime adjustments were kept to a minimal it felt like and we were so freaking predictable. Way too many long developing pass plays when we had a battered o-line. Not nearly enough pitches or counters in the run game and really felt for the most part our play action was under utilized often times with bad route trees imho. I really felt like we underutilized the slot position as well as TE's. I am aware Wentz missed receivers but play calling helped none.

It's like we would go into games with a game plan and just stick to it daring the defense to stop us and when they did we did nothing to adjust. That or we would take a lead and then in the 3rd quarter we would take our foot off the gas and play prevent. I think we have winning pieces and hopefully with additions this offseason we will have team to go the distance because I truly belive we are on the cusps of it.

He should definitely give up the play calling.   He cannot do it well.   Most head coaches give the responsibility to their O-Coordinator.  

3 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

He keeps it because Irsay allows it.  

I feel like Ballard has been forced to stick it out with Frank and Wentz. I think Jimmy is stepping on Chris's toes... Frank also made the call to want to switch Oline coaches to have his own guy which caused pass blocking regression. Frank is overrated Rivers and Luck masked his flaws. He is way to vanilla lacks adjustments and misused TEs and the slot in the pass game. With the run blocking and JT Frank and Carson should have had it easy but failed to deliver... I would bring in Brian Flores, that man had two winning seasons with a crap GM and got canned unjustfully. The Colts lack adjustment making in play calling on both sides, and the players have no sense of urgency/consistent execution of Frank's game plans...our run blocking and JT is the only thing that kept us from being a dumpster fire. FR needs to go... If Wentz stays we need Mariota for reassurance...

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

If you forgive the last two games (especially the last fiasco) Reich has been pretty good.  We scored enough to win just about every game.

I do agree that he needed to dial up quicker passes because the O line was extremely overrated when it came to pass protection.  But some of that may be on Wentz for not seeing and reacting to the safety valve.

Reich is keeping his job, as well as Ballard.  They just got extensions.  

Not too sure about Wentz though.

Frank abandoned the run multiple times over the last few seasons and can be blamed for our losses to TEN, BAL, and TB... He also waited to long to bring McLaughin in when Vinny was burnt toast and lost us those games. He has blind faith in guys who can't get it done...

-Definitely needs to give up play calling.

-Get out of the gate fast, avoid 0-3, 04 start.

-Plan early, be prepared for future games. Make adjustments early.

-Run the damn ball.

-I believe preseason will dictate starting QB.

Note: 2023 another chapter in the life of a Colts fan.

-

5 minutes ago, #12. said:

If Wentz returns, Frank is going down with Wentz, I'm afraid.

Ballard will survive it.  Frank won't.

You may be right about that.  Wentz is like the son Frank never had, and he doesn't (or doesn't want to) see his flaws.

I was thinking about it, and I don't know if it's on Wentz but it's ultimately on Frank to run the play in practice until Wentz can do it blindfolded.

When he sees 9 in the box, there should always be two hot read throws.  They need to be quick, no scanning.

Also on obvious pass plays we've seen Wentz sacked multiple times.  Those hot reads need to be there too.

7 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I was thinking about it, and I don't know if it's on Wentz but it's ultimately on Frank to run the play in practice until Wentz can do it blindfolded.

When he sees 9 in the box, there should always be two hot read throws.  They need to be quick, no scanning.

Also on obvious pass plays we've seen Wentz sacked multiple times.  Those hot reads need to be there too.

Frank is supposedly this great QB whisper and I agre he needs to be coaching up the QB and if Wentz is totally to blame for not running the play correctly I would expect Reich to be all over him once he hits the sideline and all the way to the bench but I see none on that. I see no fire from Reich.

I have always wondered where he got the title of the QB whisper but have seen nothing since he was with the Colts. Luck and Rivers were who they were and he did nothing for JB or Wentz that I havee seen.

Archived