Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Russell Wilson and our Secondary...

TimetobringDfence!

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Kenny Moore is WAAAAY to short to be the FS  - IMHO

Blackmon doesn't have the size to be a full time SS. Keep Willis there and Sandejo as his back up. Move Rhodes to FS or sign a vet. Use Blackmon and Hines as trading block pieces to get a QB WR LT CB or other potential needs/holes... resign Mack as Taylor's back up. I believe Campbell is gone and TY is only worth 4mil a year at yhis point or let him walk too. We need WR help. We really need Paye and Dayo to make the leap to vet level play. Hopefully Lewis heals and can help at DE too. We have a lot of holes... smh

3 hours ago, Maniac53 said:

What was Houston price to stay with Colts? Cause his deal with Ravens was pretty cheap(IMO) and we had the cap room for him at what the Ravens gave him. I'm not saying he was the answer and should've kept him. 

I do think Ballard needs to bring in a good veteran pass rusher to be a leader in the locker room and someone these young guys need to compete against to get onto the field. 

I don’t know what Houston was asking from us.   Never read that anywhere.   I think at some point whatever Houston wanted he was forced to accept whatever the best number he could get.  By that time, the ship had sailed about possibly returning to the Colts.  So he went to a very good, very well run organization in Baltimore and took the best deal he could.   I wish I knew more. 

On 1/17/2022 at 1:45 PM, TimetobringDfence! said:

Wentz is not the answer. I question Frank Reich as a head coach as well. Trade what it takes to make Wilson our QB1 or at least land Mariota...and for God's sake we need a true FS for our Tampa 2 zone scheme, you have to have a true ball hawk for it work. We haven't had a good consistent FS since Mike Adams. Our whole secondary plays like SSs, good tacklers weak in coverage. Maybe Rhodes takes a pay cut and makes a transition to FS because he sure the hell can't play CB anymore...

This post is filled with so much nonsense it's actually quite remarkable. The only thing I mostly agree with you on is that Wentz is most likely not the answer.

Trading for Wilson to be our QB1 would be too much, and we are already low on draft pick assets to trade.

Don't get me started on this Mariota is a QB1 nonsense.... Just no.
Rhodes would not transition well as a FS, he doesn't have the speed anymore and you have to be rangy.

We are all still a bit raw in the wake of the loss to the Jags, calm down, the world isnt over. Your life isnt defined by the Colts.... There is always next year and it's only a game.

4 hours ago, Chucklez said:

This post is filled with so much nonsense it's actually quite remarkable. The only thing I mostly agree with you on is that Wentz is most likely not the answer.

Trading for Wilson to be our QB1 would be too much, and we are already low on draft pick assets to trade.

Rhodes would not transition well as a FS, he doesn't have the speed anymore and you have to be rangy.

We are all still a bit raw in the wake of the loss to the Jags, calm down, the world isnt over. Your life isnt defined by the Colts.... There is always next year and it's only a game.

Most cornerbacks that lose a step transition to FS well many players have done the exact same thing to end their careers. FS is more of instinct than speed.

24 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Most cornerbacks that lose a step transition to FS well many players have done the exact same thing to end their careers. FS is more of instinct than speed.

Do you trust Rhodes to be able to close the distance from either end of the field to the middle or vice versa to make the breakup or interception? I don't at this point.

14 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Autry did great for us and in Ten lol. He would have had been nice to have to rotate with Dayo and help take pressure off Paye a Buckner. Maybe not dropping the ball but taking a calculated step back...

I didn't say Autry wasn't good for us and for Ten. All I am saying is I think Ballard knew what he was doing.  He has said on several occasions  edge rushers take time to develop and also talked about delayed gratification.  Whether we agree with his approach or not is another topic.  You might feel Ballard dropped the ball but I think he knew what was going to happen.

I wouldn't have minded if we kept Autry.  But I also don't mind letting the younger guys get more snaps and hopefully - seriously hopefully - become true NFL DEs quicker.

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. But even if they weren't bold enough to make the change, Hooker would have helped tremendously given our injuries this year. He was cheap too. We were blessed to grab Sendejo, who graded out really well vs the pass (passer rating allowed). 

Purely my opinion, but I think we simply over-relied on STs abilities for depth Ss. The like the hard hitting guys on kick coverages, and Hooker isn't the most physical. 

In todays nfl u need safety’s that can cover the pass more than hit 

33 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Do you trust Rhodes to be able to close the distance from either end of the field to the middle or vice versa to make the breakup or interception? I don't at this point.

I would give him a chance there, but I would like another FS for reassurance... You don't need as much speed to play FS as CB its more instinctual and reading a QB and timing open holes and closing them at the right time...I know his CB days are over.

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Kenny's problems weren't really in the slot in general, they were when he was forced to cover vertical speed WRs. And that's kinda on scheme, and was compounded by injury (when we were forced to play him outside). 

Some of the biggest game changing plays I remember was him in slot getting cooked , but it’s alit to pick from after he gave up a nfl high 87 catches 

9 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

In todays nfl u need safety’s that can cover the pass more than hit 

I think that applies for FS, not really SSs. Just depends on scheme. If you play a ton of C1 and C3, you're FS has to be strong in coverage. If you're in C2 most of the time, both Ss need to be able to cover and tackle. If you use your SS in the box mostly, coverage, at least vertically, is not a huge issues. Great example of that is that Willis grades really when he's limited to the box, but gets burnt when he's forced to go vert vs anyone with speed. 

But I think Hooker would have been better at FS, with Blackmon at SS. We'd be more well rounded in all Cs. And bring in Willis for box reps. That would have been a strong 3. 

9 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

Some of the biggest game changing plays I remember was him in slot getting cooked , but it’s alit to pick from after he gave up a nfl high 87 catches 

IMO, him getting cooked (allowing TDs) was more on vert than seam and box. 

Our scheme give up a ton of cushion, so any NB is going to give up a bunch of give-mes. We practically beg QBs to throw short. Oprah "you get a short pass, you get a short pass, you get a short pass....."

On 1/18/2022 at 12:26 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Whether or not Wentz is ever the answer, guys like Wilson and Rodgers are not coming to Indianapolis — ever. 

They hold all the power.   Even if we coukd make an acceptable offer, the QBs would block the deal.  Both would simply tell Indy that when their contract is up in a year, they won’t re-sign with the Colts.  That would end the trade talk right there.   DOA. 

If your dead set against another year of Wentz, then you’d better lower your sights.  Guys like Garappolo, or Darnold or, Bridgewater, or,  if they become available,  guys like Mayfield or Cousins.   Those would be the most likely targets.   

Why wouldn't they? Most football players aren't like NBA players when it comes to team locations. We have an elite O-line, an elite RB, a 6'4 2nd year receiver coming off a 1K season, and we can upgrade our WRs a little more this off-season. Plus a defense that causes turnovers. Oh, and we play in a dome. We basically have a QBs dream.

20 hours ago, Chucklez said:

No need to belittle there at the end. That is so annoying when people try to pull that card. If it matters more to him than it does to you, that's ok.

10 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Why wouldn't they? Most football players aren't like NBA players when it comes to team locations. We have an elite O-line, an elite RB, a 6'4 2nd year receiver coming off a 1K season, and we can upgrade our WRs a little more this off-season. Plus a defense that causes turnovers. Oh, and we play in a dome. We basically have a QBs dream.

For a variety of reasons, both Wilson And Rodgers are in their 30’s, Rodgers in his late 30’s.   They need to win NOW and we are not equipped to win now.   And with the draft picks we’d have to give up,  we’d have less ability to fix our remaining problems.  

Also….  Both have positioned themselves to control their future.   They either want to a big sexy media market, or a market with no state tax, or to a team that gives them the best chance to win ASAP,  and, as good as our roster is,  other rosters are better equipped than we are.    They also have wives/fiancées who don’t want to live in Indiana either. 

We’re just not a good enough fit on any level. I wish it wasn’t so,  but that’s where I believe we are.  We might be considered a good fit on some level, but not a good ENOUGH fit on too many other levels.  

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For a variety of reasons, both Wilson And Rodgers are in their 30’s, Rodgers in his late 30’s.   They need to win NOW and we are not equipped to win now.   And with the draft picks we’d have to give up,  we’d have less ability to fix our remaining problems.  

Also….  Both have positioned themselves to control their future.   They either want to a big sexy media market, or a market with no state tax, or to a team that gives them the best chance to win ASAP,  and, as good as our roster is,  other rosters are better equipped than we are.    They also have wives/fiancées who don’t want to live in Indiana either. 

We’re just not a good enough fit on any level. I wish it wasn’t so,  but that’s where I believe we are. 

The wives would be the only reason to me. We are built to win now, an elite QB makes us serious superbowl contenders overnight. Obviously we have other weaknesses, but what team doesn't?

What big market team is either in the market for a QB right now, or has a roster built to win now? Both LA teams have their QBs. NYG & NYJ are jokes. Miami is horrible. Chicago is horrible. Dallas has their QB. Houston is horrible. NO is pretty similar to us.

14 minutes ago, Stoney said:

The wives would be the only reason to me. We are built to win now, an elite QB makes us serious superbowl contenders overnight. Obviously we have other weaknesses, but what team doesn't?

What big market team is either in the market for a QB right now, or has a roster built to win now? Both LA teams have their QBs. NYG & NYJ are jokes. Miami is horrible. Chicago is horrible. Dallas has their QB. Houston is horrible. NO is pretty similar to us.

Other teams are more equipped to win sooner than we are.  The last two weeks changed perception of the Colts everywhere. 

By the way, and not for nothing, I’m not alone in this thinking.   Look around in various threads.   Plenty of people agree with me.   So I don’t think I’m out on a limb all by myself. 

On 1/17/2022 at 9:51 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Out of the QB's you mentioned in your last paragraph, I would take Jimmy G. He has won big games and gets rid of the ball quick which fits our offense. He is still young too.

Agreed. He is who I would want as an upgrade. Not a huge upgrade but an upgrade nonetheless.

3 hours ago, Stoney said:

No need to belittle there at the end. That is so annoying when people try to pull that card. If it matters more to him than it does to you, that's ok.

It wasn't meant as a belittling, more trying to share perspective that it's not something to get genuinely depressed or anxious about.

People and sports can get really dumb sometimes (not calling the OP dumb here in this instance).... I mean more when people get so ridiculously into it that they are willing to literally fight people simply because the color jersey they are wearing is different than theirs, calm down I say to those people....

Archived