Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What a difference in QB play yesterday.

mirobi48

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/16/2022 at 11:33 AM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Ir made me sad. As much as Carr would be a upgrade he still isn’t Buttow or Allen.  Not even sure Carr would get us where we need to be. We are at a crossroads where we pretty much are going to have to be awful to get a franchise QB.

Maybe all Carr would have to do is not be bad in the same way Wetnz is bad.

6 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

A thought here. It looks like Eberflus and brown might be heading to chicago. Do you think chicago would be in the market for Rodgers or Wilson where they would make Fields available for trade.

Watson is another domino that could fall where fields could be trade bait. Never know if Rodgers, Wilson, watson land there.

41 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m NOT defending him.   I don’t want him.   I’m only interested in getting facts straight.   I was only responding to the comment about rape.   Nothing more.   Hope that clarifies. 

Yea no your good. Your post was accurate. I was just adding to my original post for no real reason lol

Just now, cdgacoltsfan said:

He's as good if not better than Tannyhill and Jimmy G

Jimmy G is better than those 2. He just wins. Tannehill is a clown GIF- I called it back in December that he would choke. People were saying look at his stats blah blah, I said Tennessee one and done, he made me money this weekend. I took Cincy straight up haha 

2 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

He's as good if not better than Tannyhill and Jimmy G

Take your blue colored glasses off, he has been in the league for 6 years, he has had 1 good season. I repeat 1 good season.

Jimmy G and Tannehill have gotten their team to the playoffs multiple times. Jimmy got their team to the SB just a couple years ago. Whether its scheme, great run game, great defense. They do enough at the position to win games. Wentz does not.

Philly was desperate to offload him because they realized what a colossal mistake they made signing him to that contract. They moved on to someone equally mediocre just to be rid of him and the contract. We were the ONLY team interested. We got taken to the cleaners. I know its sucks its hard to accept. 

Just now, Nesjan3 said:

Take your blue colored glasses off, he has been in the league for 6 years, he has had 1 good season. I repeat 1 good season.

Jimmy G and Tannehill have gotten their team to the playoffs multiple times. Jimmy got their team to the SB just a couple years ago. Whether its scheme, great run game, great defense. They do enough at the position to win games. Wentz does not.

Philly was desperate to offload him because they realized what a colossal mistake they made signing him to that contract. They moved on to someone equally mediocre just to be rid of him and the contract. We were the ONLY team interested. We got taken to the cleaners. I know its sucks its hard to accept. 

Jimmy G is the best of the 3. He is cool under pressure haha 

9 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

This sounds a little dramatic and being a cry baby. Not a good team mate.

I don’t know about this….    Something is strange.   Thus tweet is from Saturday night after the bad Packers loss.   How is it that we haven’t seen this as a headline anywhere else?   I haven’t seen this either on ESPN or NFL.com.    

Maybe he’s right,  but you’d think if he is, everyone else would jump on this.   And yet…?

Last thought….   I completely agree that Rodgers is a bad teammate.   He has been one for the last year at least.  In the middle of last week, he gave a nearly 30 minute interview all about him and his views and his future etc.   Right when 100 percent of the focus should’ve been on the TEAM!    He used to be a good guy, but his ego is now out of control….  

You know what I realized watching the games this weekend... we need to stop getting QBs that we hope we will be able to raise the level of to our level. The common thing between almost all of those QBs we watched this weekend is - those teams got those QBs and those QBs raised the level of the team... not the other way around. We need a QB who will be the engine of this operation, not the trailer we are dragging behind. Burrow made the Bengals dangerous and fun team, Stafford made that Rams offense so much more potent and dangerous with the added element of vertical passing. Mahomes made the Chiefs of perennial 1st round exit into a Superbowl machine. Allen elevated that Bills team to the level of one of the most dangerous teams in the NFL... in fact... if they didn't meet Mahomes and have such a bad luck yesterday - they probably would have gone to the SB too. We need a QB to elevate the level of this team. We don't need one who we are trying to elevate to our level... maybe... hopefully... How are we supposed to compete in the next 10-15 years with Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert in the conference unless we have a similar type/quality QB? 

Of course... that is if we want something more than what we are now. If we are good with what we have now, then so be it... just don't expect deep playoff runs when you are meeting teams with similar or better talent on the roster but with much better QB... 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

You know what I realized watching the games this weekend... we need to stop getting QBs that we hope we will be able to raise the level of to our level. The common thing between almost all of those QBs we watched this weekend is - those teams got those QBs and those QBs raised the level of the team... not the other way around. We need a QB who will be the engine of this operation, not the trailer we are dragging behind. Burrow made the Bengals dangerous and fun team, Stafford made that Rams offense so much more potent and dangerous with the added element of vertical passing. Mahomes made the Chiefs of perennial 1st round exit into a Superbowl machine. Allen elevated that Bills team to the level of one of the most dangerous teams in the NFL... in fact... if they didn't meet Mahomes and have such a bad luck yesterday - they probably would have gone to the SB too. We need a QB to elevate the level of this team. We don't need one who we are trying to elevate to our level... maybe... hopefully... How are we supposed to compete in the next 10-15 years with Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert in the conference unless we have a similar type/quality QB? 

This is all true. Question is how do they find it. It’s a rare quality and there aren’t many in the league. They drafted those two and hoped they could do it but until they did it was a question mark.

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

Well, Mahomes walked into Reid, Hill and Kelce. Plus they added veteran OL and pass rush along the DL via free agency, and a few utility speedsters like Pringle, Hardman.

Allen's GM got him Diggs, Sanders, and veteran OL for pass protection plus young talent like Davis, Knox, McKenzie.

Burrow's GM got him Chase on top of Higgins and Boyd, and invested more in DL the last year plus soon will invest more in OL too.

What have we done for Wentz, will be the ultimate question asked? If we do those things and he cannot elevate the level of the team, I can understand the argument. However, you need some level of difference making talent to get your QB from good to very good, or very good to elite, which the above 3 teams are on the path of doing. I don't think we have done enough. If Stafford or Mahomes or Allen or Burrow were throwing to Pittman and company, we may still not have won our division, IMO.

Let us not forget, Bills lost to Jaguars and Bengals lost to Jets too. So clunkers happen but when push comes to shove, you have the ability to take it to another gear when you have the talent around you but not much without.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Well, Mahomes walked into Reid, Hill and Kelce. Plus they added veteran OL and pass rush along the DL, and a few utility speedsters like Pringle, Hardman.

Allen's GM got him Diggs, Sanders, and veteran OL for pass protection plus young talent like Davis, Knox, McKenzie.

Burrow's GM got him Chase on top of Higgins and Boyd, and invested more in DL the last year plus soon will invest more in OL too.

What have we done for Wentz, will be the ultimate question asked? If we do those things and he cannot elevate the level of the team, I can understand the argument. However, you need some level of difference making talent to get your QB from good to very good, or very good to elite, which the above 3 teams are on the path of doing. I don't think we have done enough.

True - getting a great QB does NOT absolve you from the responsibility of putting a good team around him and adding weapons to maximize the talent of the QB. IMO if you put Kelce and Hill on this team this won't change who Wentz is significantly. They may make a few more plays after the catch, but it will be still Wentz too late throwing the ball or throwing it 5 feet over their heads, or not throwing it at all. How many drag routes did Hill catch yesterday? Remember that long one at the end of the game? Remember how many Pittman got last year with Rivers? How many did we have this year with Wentz? Wentz does NOT throw throse. He had 8 total drag routes for the whole year with Philly last year. No idea what the number was this year but it's not high. 

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

Of course... that is if we want something more than what we are now. If we are good with what we have now, then so be it... just don't expect deep playoff runs when you are meeting teams with similar or better talent on the roster but with much better QB... 

Of course we need one of those quarterbacks.   So does every NFL team.  

The problem is there maybe 8-10 of those who walk the face of the earth.   Sometimes less.   That leaves more than 20 other NFL teams all in the same boat looking for the best quarterback they can get.   That’s a pretty big boat of teams searching for a great giant whale.  We’ve got a lot of company.  

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Well, Mahomes walked into Reid, Hill and Kelce. Plus they added veteran OL and pass rush along the DL via free agency, and a few utility speedsters like Pringle, Hardman.

What have we done for Wentz, will be the ultimate question asked? If we do those things and he cannot elevate the level of the team, I can understand the argument. However, you need some level of difference making talent to get your QB from good to very good, or very good to elite, which the above 3 teams are on the path of doing. I don't think we have done enough. If Stafford or Mahomes or Allen or Burrow were throwing to Pittman and company, we may still not have won our division, IMO.

Let us not forget, Bills lost to Jaguars and Bengals lost to Jets too. So clunkers happen but when push comes to shove, you have the ability to take it to another gear when you have the talent around you but not much without.

Take all the playmakers away from Mahomes and Allen and give them Just a bunch of guys  what do you get. Certainly not how they are playing now. Ballard said it wasn’t all about one guy but he has done so little on offense he is making it about one guy.

KC and Bills were patient and waited for the right QB to come along. In the mean time it didn’t stop them from getting other offensive pieces so when that QB came along they weapons.

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

How are we supposed to compete in the next 10-15 years with Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert in the conference unless we have a similar type/quality QB? 

I always enjoy your stuff ..... and I agree we need improvement from the QB.... but

The truth of the matter.... We DID compete with the playoff teams we faced this year........... very well

While

We had no pass rush to speak of

We had no true FS

We had a poor LT performance

We had no dependable deep threat to throw to, and tp stretch the defense 

We had no TE to truly impact the pass game 

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I hear what you're saying, and I've called out the GM for not getting decent pass catchers or pass rushers, which i think all stems from what he prioritized as important to build a championship team. I believe we'll see that philosophy change starting this offseason.

With that said, Wentz blew it. No excusing him at all. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Of course we need one of those quarterbacks.   So does every NFL team.  

The problem is there maybe 8-10 of those who walk the face of the earth.   Sometimes less.   That leaves more than 20 other NFL teams all in the same boat looking for the best quarterback they can get.   That’s a pretty big boat of teams searching for a great giant whale.  We’ve got a lot of company.  

Absolutely. My point is - the answer here is NOT giving up on it and settling for Wentz. It's searching even harder. What if KC kept settling for Alex Smith and didn't draft Mahomes? What if the Bills kept settling for Tyrod Taylor? What if Cinci kept settling for Dalton? 

You will never get one, unless you first TRY to get one. 

11 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I always enjoy your stuff ..... and I agree we need improvement from the QB.... but

The truth of the matter.... We DID compete with the playoff teams we faced this year........... very well

While

We had no pass rush to speak of

We had no true FS

We had a poor LT performance

We had no dependable deep threat to throw to, and tp stretch the defense 

We had no TE to truly impact the pass game 

And!!! Can you imagine what we could have done if we actually had a QB on their level? And again - finding the QB, does not absolve you from the responsibility of putting a good team around him. Finding the QB, won't magically solve your defensive problems. You still need to build the team. But it all starts from the QB. The QB is the most important position in football... BY A HUGE MARGIN. This is incontrovertible. You will not find anyone serious who thinks otherwise. And all those teams still have problems... but their QB covers for a lot of it. They have strengths just like we have strengths... just theirs are at positions that actually matter most for winning games, QB included.... that's why we are home watching and they are on the field playing in those amazing games. 

We competed against some of those contenders because of insane run of form by Taylor and parts of our defense(and IMO partly some luck)... but again... over the long haul we won't be able to compete with a QB playing at the level Wentz played this year. And I was saying this when we were winning, because it was obvious. Wentz didn't suddenly start playing badly. He was having those types of games every 2nd or 3d game all season long... just it happens that he collected 2 of them in the final 2 most important games in the end and we were finished. 

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

Absolutely. My point is - the answer here is NOT giving up on it and settling for Wentz. It's searching even harder. What if KC kept settling for Alex Smith and didn't draft Mahomes? What if the Bills kept settling for Tyrod Taylor? What if Cinci kept settling for Dalton? 

You will never get one, unless you first TRY to get one. 

They would of stuck with Smith until the right QB came along. You have to be lucky to be able to move up and for the right guy to be there. That’s why I say just keep fixing holes until  the right QB comes along and you can get them. Don’t give up more assets for another teams left overs. 

I do believe there is a place and an opportunity for a physical team to come along smack these teams in the mouth like we did Buffalo in 2021 and like we did in KC a few years ago.  They're built to beat one another.  Buffalo is not built to beat us.

That said, you still need a better QB than Wentz to pull it off.  Wentz won't cut it.  If Wentz requires All Pros at every skilled position to beat a 2-14 team, it's much easier to just replace the QB.

2 minutes ago, #12. said:

I do believe there is a place and an opportunity for a physical team to come along smack these teams in the mouth like we did in Buffalo in 2021 and like we did in KC a few years ago.  They're built to beat one another.  Buffalo is not built to beat us.

That said, you still need a better QB than Wentz to pull it off.  Wentz won't cut it.  If Wentz requires All Pros at every skilled position to beat a 2-14 team, it's much easier to just replace the QB.

Something we have to think about is when Ballard started building this team there Wasnt all these great QB. Seeing it now he might have to have a change in philosophy.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Something we have to think about is when Ballard started building this team there Wasnt all these great QB. Seeing it now he might have to have a change in philosophy.

I'll put it like this:  what we were doing in 2021 can work, but it won't work with Wentz.  You still need more.  

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The problem is there maybe 8-10 of those who walk the face of the earth.   Sometimes less.

That always boggles my mind but it is apparently true.  Out of the entire population of the united states even, how can we only find so few elite that can throw a football that well. 

2 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

That always boggles my mind but it is apparently true.  Out of the entire population of the united states even, how can we only find so few elite that can throw a football that well. 

It is strange out of all the college QB so few can come in and be stars.  I am beginning to think we need to look for someone who is just mentally strong where nothing phases them as the first quality. Mahomes and Allen don’t let anything phase them. I would love to see Reich with a young guy who is raw who he can develop.

9 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

That's a cop out. QB and the passing game didn't magically start being important in football in 2020. Sure, there wasn't Herbert or Burrow in our conference, but there were Rivers, Brady, Big Ben... there have always been great QBs in the league and you will always have to compete against great QBs when the field gets narrowed down to the final few in the playoffs. 

4 minutes ago, #12. said:

I'll put it like this:  what we were doing in 2021 can work, but it won't work with Wentz.  You still need more.  

You can’t even believe that after yesterday. Stephen holder said on his podcast today someone in the colts higher up was texting him. They told him if you don’t have a Allen or Mahomes you need a top 5 defense. That’s what you are seeing with SF.

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

That's a cop out. QB and the passing game didn't magically start being important in football in 2020. Sure, there wasn't Herbert or Burrow in our conference, but there were Rivers, Brady, Big Ben... there have always been great QBs in the league and you will always have to compete against great QBs when the field gets narrowed down to the final few in the playoffs. 

No but it wasn’t like it is now. Admit it the NFL has changed a ton in 5 years.  Then add these guys are young too. Teams aren’t building like they used too

It’s easy for all of us to sit here and say we need a Mahomes or Allen. It’s not easy to find. That’s the hard part. That’s why I am a advocate of keeping Wentz until your able to find that guy in the draft. In the mean time get weapons for the offense and get a better pass rush. Then a young QB has a good situation to walk into. I am not a fan of giving up more assets for another teams reject. Let’s keep are assets so we have them when it does come along.

On 1/17/2022 at 10:01 AM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

There will be a lot of teams wanting Wilson if he he leaves Seattle.  I was just looking at their WR depth chart. Outside of Metkalf and Lockett they don’t have too much. If colts could get one or two more WR and a TE maybe they could get him here. I remember him complaining about the oline and not running the ball enough. That wouldn’t be a problem here. Taylor would be a huge incentive for him to come here. Bur giving up first round picks will hurt finding the players we need at certain positions. 

How many more WR do you need than two?

Archived