Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What a difference in QB play yesterday.

mirobi48

25 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I just looked at the 2023 prospects. Way better than this year but it’s Ohio State, Alabama and Oklahoma QBs leading the charge.  All systems that besides Kyler Murray, haven’t produced a good QB yet. Article did say to watch the guys at BYU and Fresno State. 

The OSU, Bama, and Okie QBs are short.  Not any taller than Ehlinger.  I don't think 2023 is really much better for franchise QBs.  And I don't think that the college game is developing NFL QBs like they used to.  All things considered, I'd trust Fresno and BYU to develop an NFL style QB over those other schools.

With all of the hoopla about mobile QBs, Burrow and Herbert are the two of the most traditional QBs to come out of the draft in recent years and are the best too.  We'll see what Mac Jones does in his second year.  Mayfield is short, and is not as good of a QB as Burrow and Hebert, IMO.  The other QBs just aren't as good either, IMO.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The OSU, Bama, and Okie QBs are short.  Not any taller than Ehlinger.  I don't think 2023 is really much better for franchise QBs.  And I don't think that the college game is developing NFL QBs like they used to.  All things considered, I'd trust Fresno and BYU to develop an NFL style QB over those other schools.

With all of the hoopla about mobile QBs, Burrow and Herbert are the two of the most traditional QBs to come out of the draft in recent years and are the best too.  We'll see what Mac Jones does in his second year.  Mayfield is short, and is not as good of a QB as Burrow and Hebert, IMO.  The other QBs just aren't as good either, IMO.

I used to be on the train that we really needed a mobile guy that could extend plays. I am totally changing my mind on this. They just need to be mobile enough to run bootlegs once in awhile. 

What else is crazy is colts kind of did better this year against scrambling quarterbacks. They had most of their issues with pocket passers where we could not get any pass rush. 

I think a decision to go try and get another QB like Wilson probably does come down to draft prospects in the next two drafts and if they like them. Also seems maybe some good pocket QB are being looked over in the draft because of their style. That’s kind of a shame. Houston got a good kid in Mills in the 3rd round. Maybe colts could find a guy like that.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Very true. But, but, but....he is a stellar human being and leader. Sirianni is in a difficult position as a newbie HC. He can't come out and say "look, this guy is very limited as a passer and I can only do so much with him...". So he will let the Eagles self-destruct, keep his job by maximizing what he can out of Hurts until management wants to go away from him and keep him around as a backup at best.

Hurts stunk. A big reason is because his arm isn't strong enough to make up for late reads. Whether he gets faster at reading, who knows. The Mike Edwards INT is a TD if he throws that as soon as Smith beats his man. Some QBs can figure that out...others can't. Good chance he doesn't make, but he's only 23 years old...and he can definitely run the ball.

But Sirianni stunk too. No way he gets a pass. His playcalling was bad for most of the year. Earlier in the season, he refused to use his RBs and it wasn't until they started running all the time, which clearly played to the strength of Hurts, that they won games.

Unfortunately, they aren't a very good team yet and they just ran into a very good team that the one thing you can't do is run the ball on. Terrible matchup. But Sirianni had no idea how to scheme against that and/or the moment was too big for Hurts. Somehow, they weren't even trying to get Smith involved the first half.

I bet though, if he was calling plays in Indy, he would catch more heat than Flus and Reich combined. I think he just lacks imagination for now. And it really showed yesterday.

But this is both of their first full years as QB and HC. I don't think we can close the book on either yet. They will add (3) 1st round picks and other pieces...and have another offseason together. They might go in a different direction at QB, but I doubt it.

22 hours ago, DougDew said:

Jalen Hurts is terrible.  Will probably be out of the NFL within three years.   He's not even that good of a runner.

I get you don't like the guy, but that's nonsense.

Freakin' Jacoby Brissett just finished his 6th season in the NFL at age 29. He offers nothing as a passer and almost nothing as a runner.

Hurts is in his first full season as a starting QB...and he's still younger than JB was as as rookie. And he was more productive than JB has ever been (he is definitely a very good runner).

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Burrow is the truth. I thought he may be a one year wonder but he is one of the best QBs to come out since Luck. So far at least. 

21 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Burrow is the truth. I thought he may be a one year wonder but he is one of the best QBs to come out since Luck. So far at least. 

Anyone that watched him at LSU that year knew he would make a great pro. That offense was run like a NFL offense. It didn’t look like a typical college offense where there are a ton of short passes for YAC. He was making nfl throw after nfl throw.  Then add his maturity. He was a little older then the typical college senior. 

Comparing the Kyler Murray int to the Wentz Int.

Kyler Murray pulled a Carson Wentz. It didn’t end well.

Kyler Murray pulled a Carson Wentz in Arizona’s playoff game against the Rams. In this case, that’s a bad thing.

The Colts quarterback had a tendency to occasionally attempt to avoid a sack by tossing the football away with his left hand. Sometimes, it’d fall into the arms of a defender.

Murray did the same thing in the second quarter on Monday night in the Cardinals’ wild card game against the Rams. It didn’t end well.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kyler-murray-pulled-carson-wentz-030909066.html

On 1/17/2022 at 10:56 AM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

We have no weapons for Wilson. Why would he want to come here with that trash WR group.

Yet Wentz is the problem. Alrighty then 

8 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Kyler Murray pulled a Wentz in the endzone last night ! 

Or pulled a Stafford as he did it this season too. In fact he had 4 pic sixes 

29 minutes ago, NodakColt said:

Or pulled a Stafford as he did it this season too. In fact he had 4 pic sixes 

How many did Wentz have? One?

I find it really baffling sometimes how the public/media talks about Wentz. You would think he is the turnover machine like no other. In reality, with the exception of his rookie season, he only had one season (out of 5) with more than 7 interceptions.

16 hours ago, Art_Vandelay said:

How many did Wentz have? One?

I find it really baffling sometimes how the public/media talks about Wentz. You would think he is the turnover machine like no other. In reality, with the exception of his rookie season, he only had one season (out of 5) with more than 7 interceptions.

It’s a head scratcher for sure 

23 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

Comparing the Kyler Murray int to the Wentz Int.

Kyler Murray pulled a Carson Wentz. It didn’t end well.

Kyler Murray pulled a Carson Wentz in Arizona’s playoff game against the Rams. In this case, that’s a bad thing.

The Colts quarterback had a tendency to occasionally attempt to avoid a sack by tossing the football away with his left hand. Sometimes, it’d fall into the arms of a defender.

Murray did the same thing in the second quarter on Monday night in the Cardinals’ wild card game against the Rams. It didn’t end well.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kyler-murray-pulled-carson-wentz-030909066.html

Wentz literally had to throw the ball to avoid a safety that would end the game. The media bias is unreal.  

I was reading that Wilson's wife wants to move to a big market where she can pursue her acting and singing career.

So she was interested in either LA or NY.  LA is full but NY has an opening with the Giants.

I don't think she'll be interested in Indy.

Sorry.

12 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I was reading that Wilson's wife wants to move to a big market where she can pursue her acting and singing career.

So she was interested in either LA or NY.  LA is full but NY has an opening with the Giants.

I don't think she'll be interested in Indy.

Sorry.

People really need to stop with that being a possibility. They are only going to be letting down themselves when he stays in Seattle or goes somewhere else.

Well a guy a couple of weeks ago we were debating if he was better than Wentz just knocked off maybe the best QB in the NFL and has his team one win away from the Super Bowl and would be his second Super Bowl in three years.  

Ao you don’t have to have one of the top five QBs in the NFL to win.  They have to be better than Wentz was down the stretch but if you have decent QB play with a good team that can be enough.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well a guy a couple of weeks ago we were debating if he was better than Wentz just knocked off maybe the best QB in the NFL and has his team one win away from the Super Bowl and would be his second Super Bowl in three years.  

Ao you don’t have to have one of the top five QBs in the NFL to win.  They have to be better than Wentz was down the stretch but if you have decent QB play with a good team that can be enough.

Let’s be fair. He didn’t do anything this game. Nada nothing.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Let’s be fair. He didn’t do anything this game. Nada nothing.

He made a couple of clutch third down throws but that’s my point.  People are acting like the Colts have no chance unless they can get their hands on an elite QB like Rodgers.  While clearly you would love to have the next Rodgers the Eagles, Rams, and 49ers have all shown in recent history you can get to a Super Bowl (and in the Eagles case win it) without an elite QB.  That’s why the Colts aren’t just going to “see what happens with Wentz next year and blow it up if it doesn’t work”.  They are going to try to find the best QB they can because they feel like they have a roster that can win like those teams.  They may decide that guy is Wentz but my guess is they bring in at least someone to compete with him.

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He made a couple of clutch third down throws but that’s my point.  People are acting like the Colts have no chance unless they can get their hands on an elite QB like Rodgers.  While clearly you would love to have the next Rodgers the Eagles, Rams, and 49ers have all shown in recent history you can get to a Super Bowl (and in the Eagles case win it) without an elite QB.  That’s why the Colts aren’t just going to “see what happens with Wentz next year and blow it up if it doesn’t work”.  They are going to try to find the best QB they can because they feel like they have a roster that can win like those teams.  They may decide that guy is Wentz but my guess is they bring in at least someone to compete with him.

Your not winning a SB with Jimmy g because colts don’t have that defense. I can almost guarantee unless it’s someone in the draft colts are going to thick with Wentz and keep their draft assets in case they are in position to get one in the draft. It doesn’t make sense to give up any more assets for QB unless it’s in the draft. My guess yes they will bring in a backup and insurance. Maybe someone younger like Trubisky who maybe could be the future. Then Wentz gets a second d shot but someone is there in case.

7 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Your not winning a SB with Jimmy g because colts don’t have that defense. I can almost guarantee unless it’s someone in the draft colts are going to thick with Wentz and keep their draft assets in case they are in position to get one in the draft. It doesn’t make sense to give up any more assets for QB unless it’s in the draft. My guess yes they will bring in a backup and insurance. Maybe someone younger like Trubisky who maybe could be the future. Then Wentz gets a second d shot but someone is there in case.

We really could have run the table

8 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

right cant have any bad boys ruining ballards locker room, talent dosent matter only being nice 

Watson's deal isn't about good boys or bad boys, dude is alleged to have assaulted over 20 women, it'd be insane to bring him in until he's cleared of those charges....regardless what you think about the culture talk. And by the way, i'm not sure why that's something brought up now when Ballard already said he thought his locker room was now ready to handle more volatile elements. Said this as far back as a couple seasons back IIRC.

It's a sport, we watch it for entertainment, we love it, and most of the players are young kids who will make mistakes as youth does, but using Watson as an example for any argument against culture...well that's not a good look.

42 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

watson will be a bargain for someone, but ballard only wants nicey nice guys

It largely depends. It’s possibly Watson goes to prison for a few years. It’s also possible he engaged in consensual acts & this is a money scheme. We just don’t know. 

If he gets cleared, i think a team trades 3 1sts & a 2nd for him. The Dolphins, Eagles, & Steelers would be my best bet for his landing spot

4 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

It largely depends. It’s possibly Watson goes to prison for a few years. It’s also possible he engaged in consensual acts & this is a money scheme. We just don’t know. 

If he gets cleared, i think a team trades 3 1sts & a 2nd for him. The Dolphins, Eagles, & Steelers would be my best bet for his landing spot

he could be picked up cheap now, if he is cleared the price will go up or not available at all, worth the gamble to see if he is cleared

10 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

he could be picked up cheap now, if he is cleared the price will go up or not available at all, worth the gamble to see if he is cleared

It's not worth the gamble. It isnt even a conversation worth having. 

The allegations he's facing are Serious with a capital S. They're not trivial, and they go way beyond sport.

Sometimes i think as sports fans we can often forget these guys are real folk and their issues are real issues. For good, and for bad. In this case, if someone at your job was accused of raping/harassing the number of women who this dude has on the roster, you'd at a bare minimum want to see the results of the case before moving on with such an employee, no matter how good he/she is at their job, and these accusations dont just creep out of nowhere, they rarely ever do. If your work productivity i.e. dollars trumps the kind of company you want to run or work at then you probably need to reevaluate your life choices. There's no middle ground there and there shouldn't be. Money is not everything.

And before you say we're judging him before he has been judged, we're not. He's still employed and getting paid, he isnt in jail, he's conducting business to a degree, but actively pretending as if the things he's accused of are trivial, or actively trading for him...now that takes a special level of degenerate IMHO. At some point, there has to be a line you draw, this is real life not Madden. Hopefully his case gets wrapped soon and we can all move on.

40 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

If deshaun Watson didn’t have the clout he has he would already be in prison staring down a LENGTHY sentence. Guy is legitimately a serial rapist. I’m all for bringing in guys who might have some Issues but Not Watson.

I don’t think you’re following the Watson story all that closely.   I don’t believe Watson has  been charged with actual rape by anyone.   Honestly.  

I don’t want to get graphic here….  But it’s some level of sexual misconduct but it falls well short of rape.   No penetration.  

1 hour ago, DEFENSE said:

right cant have any bad boys ruining ballards locker room, talent dosent matter only being nice 

The number of ways you’re wrong on this issue just can’t be counted…..

First and foremost, I seriously doubt Irsay would want Watson either.   You think a man whose daughters help him run this franchise is going to welcome Watson?   Don’t think so. 

Second….  Teams that have to trade a star player, like Houston has to with Watson, typically DON’T want to trade the player within their own division and then have to play them TWICE every season.   So Houston is not trading Watson to a divisional rival like Indy.   Hello!?!   If Houston can help it, they’ll try to trade him out of the entire conference as well.   Like to Carolina, or New Orleans, or to Seattle if they trade Wilson, or to Green Bay if they trade Rodgers. 

Finally….   You are free to hate my guts.   You are free to give me all the negative emojis you like.   I simply do not care.   I’m only saying this publicly because I tried to handle this privately with a message, but I’m blocked.  Your choice.   But now our private business is public.   Carry on!!      :thmup:

On 1/20/2022 at 6:05 AM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Some good stuff here on Wentz from Lawrence. Lawrence thinks the QB coach needs to be let go. In his film analysis he says to many times the deep route was the first read and that should never be the first read.

This is a Wentz problem not a coaching problem. He's been doing this throughout his career. It's not new. The deep route is not the first read usually, it's just what Wentz looks for. And none of our other QBs have had that problem with pretty much the same coaching staff. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think you’re following the Watson story all that closely.   I don’t believe Watson has  been charged with actual rape by anyone.   Honestly.  

I don’t want to get graphic here….  But it’s some level of sexual misconduct but it falls well short of rape.   No penetration.  

He’s a sex offender and a predator. Penetration or not, he’s no good 

25 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

He’s a sex offender and a predator. Penetration or not, he’s no good 

I’m NOT defending him.   I don’t want him.   I’m only interested in getting facts straight.   I was only responding to the comment about rape.   Nothing more.   Hope that clarifies. 

Archived