Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Blessing in Disguise

IrsaysArmy

I’m sure this has been stated in the last week but I believe our collapse will be a blessing. I’d rather be in the playoffs but I’m hoping this causes us to make the changes we need to make in order to get to where we want. Irsay, Ballard, Reich are *. Irsay most importantly. As long as this doesn’t make our front office operate recklessly, this will be beneficial to us. Remember, only 1 team is happy at the end of the year. Any thoughts?

6 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

I’m sure this has been stated in the last week but I believe our collapse will be a blessing. I’d rather be in the playoffs but I’m hoping this causes us to make the changes we need to make in order to get to where we want. Irsay, Ballard, Reich are *. Irsay most importantly. As long as this doesn’t make our front office operate recklessly, this will be beneficial to us. Remember, only 1 team is happy at the end of the year. Any thoughts?

It could be. Just 3-4 weeks ago we were being talked about as the hottest team in the AFC and the team nobody wanted to see in the playoffs. 

The performances we had against LV and Jax showed some obvious holes in this team. I mean, I think we all saw them most of the year anyway. 

Whether we got bounced in the first round of playoffs, AFC Championship game or won a SB, our weaknesses would still be the same.  

Imo, the main difference between the way we went out versus if we made the playoffs is that Ballard and Reich now definitely have a major sense of urgency. I don't know what was said btwn them and irsay but I can guarantee they are not thinking they have a ton of job security should things go wrong again next season.

Ballard hasn't been very aggressive in FA and has mainly stayed to his word about building thru the draft and developing players from there.  My guess is Ballard and Reich are both thinking they need a playoff run next year to keep their jobs.  I'd be shocked if we don't see Ballard a bit more aggressive than normal this off-season. Though he's on the record saying we have a decent sized window to compete with our roster (which he isn't entirely wrong about), I imagine he sees his own personal window starting to close. 

2 hours ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Excluding the Golden era of Peyton & Polian, the Irsay's should be p*~~d since about 1980 except for a season here, a season or two there and the team is usually mediocre or worse and irrelevant. 

Will this seasons failure trigger positive and winning moves?   We hope so but history says don't count on it.

2 hours ago, IrsaysArmy said:

I can see the silver lining.  Now that I’m not sad anymore.  No stone will be un turned.  LT, DE, CB, and QB training will be key.

4 hours ago, IrsaysArmy said:

U learn more from a loss than a win. If they would have gotten into the playoffs and lost , they might have been complacent. Hopefully this makes everyone more accountable . We will truly see the heart of this team next year.  I hope this team plays the Jags in the 1st game of the  season. If they lose, I would fire everyone and  trade every player lol. 

15 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U learn more from a loss than a win. If they would have gotten into the playoffs and lost , they might have been complacent. Hopefully this makes everyone more accountable . We will truly see the heart of this team next year.  I hope this team plays the Jags in the 1st game of the  season. If they lose, I would fire everyone and  trade every player lol. 

If we play the Jags 1st game of the season and lose again… oof. 

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Excluding the Golden era of Peyton & Polian, the Irsay's should be p*~~d since about 1980 except for a season here, a season or two there and the team is usually mediocre or worse and irrelevant. 

Will this seasons failure trigger positive and winning moves?   We hope so but history says don't count on it.

This is false. There have been few losing seasons since Robert Irsay passed away. They started making playoffs even getting to the AFC Championship early in Jims tenure as owner. 

This has probably been main solace over what happened last weekend.

I would much rather have team that makes the postseason with a well balanced team that has a realistic shot of doing damage rather than one that makes it makes it consecutive years only to get bounced and gives the front office a false sense of accomplishment.

Dumb. For two reasons..

1 - It’s the playoffs and anything can happen. Especially with a run game as good as the one the Colts had.

2 - No first round pick. It’s not like the collapse helps move up the draft board.

15 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

With no pass rush Bengals would of destroyed us. So yeah it was a blessing.

Would have played KC. 
Raiders won the head to head.

5 hours ago, SR711 said:

This has probably been main solace over what happened last weekend.

I would much rather have team that makes the postseason with a well balanced team that has a realistic shot of doing damage rather than one that makes it makes it consecutive years only to get bounced and gives the front office a false sense of accomplishment.

Sounds very Pacers like. Now they are 15-28 and can draft the kid from Purdue 

5 hours ago, TheNextGM said:

Dumb. For two reasons..

1 - It’s the playoffs and anything can happen. Especially with a run game as good as the one the Colts had.

2 - No first round pick. It’s not like the collapse helps move up the draft board.

Would have played KC. 

That good ole run game couldn’t do anything to the Raiders or the Jaguars in our 2 must win games. Colts would have been looking like the Patriots trying to protect Wentz from pulling a Wentz like he did the last 2 games

5 hours ago, TheNextGM said:

Dumb. For two reasons..

Would have played KC. 

Actually would've been the Bills and they also would've destroyed us lol.

12 hours ago, IrsaysArmy said:

I agree because if we made the playoffs it would look like we were better than what we are and they wouldn't see the changes that are needed. They'd pretend they weren't there and I mean all of us can see the glaring needs there are obvious at WR, TE, left tackle. pass rush (DE) and corner. But sometimes I think sometimes Ballard and Reich see things through rose colored glasses and that's not reality which showed up at the end of the season. 

9 hours ago, Introspect said:

Watching the dynamic offenses play today (the Bills) and I like the killer instinct they bring. The Colts would have gone conservative and let the Pats back in it.

We need better play calling. DAMN

I agree with up until I saw Kurt Warner's breakdown of Wentz. On every play there is an out. So I think it's more on Wentz than the play calling. 

4 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

I agree because if we made the playoffs it would look like we were better than what we are and they wouldn't see the changes that are needed. They'd pretend they weren't there and I mean all of us can see the glaring needs there are obvious at WR, TE, left tackle. pass rush (DE) and corner. But sometimes I think sometimes Ballard and Reich see things through rose colored glasses and that's not reality which showed up at the end of the season. 

Glaring need by order.

QB

LT

DT TE S LB CB DE WR

To compete in the AFC, we must find a franchise QB. That should be #1 on our list. Your not going to beat Mahoney, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, etc without one. Also look at the weapons these QB’s have. IMO we’re not even close to competing with these teams come playoff time. 

2 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

To compete in the AFC, we must find a franchise QB. That should be #1 on our list. Your not going to beat Mahoney, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, etc without one. Also look at the weapons these QB’s have. IMO we’re not even close to competing with these teams come playoff time. 

I was hoping Wentz would push us to contending status but sadly he didn’t. You are right. We aren’t going anywhere until we get that franchise guy. And that isn’t happening until we have a very bad season and get a high draft pick. 

3 hours ago, boo2202 said:

I think we can beat that Mahoney guy. Not real impressed with him. :D

4 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Our receivers and tight ends are not very good. Hilton -done, Campbell last chance this season, Pascal - no , dulin- ?. Pittman- best we have.   Doyle -done,  Cox - move on.  Granson- keep. That's alot of guys to replace. We need guys who get YAC !

Look at it this way, if Ballard did the right thing our pass rush should be much better next year. He put a lot of stock in Dayo and Paye. However if Ballard misses on both of those and those players become average NFL players then we are set back a couple years and Ballard should be done. Concerning the so-called best offense of line in the NFL I think it’s time to bring in a veteran line coach to get in those players faces and get them to quit underachieving. Ballard has limited time in the draft but he better not mess on rounds 2,3,4 and 5. And once again if Ballard swings and misses it’s time for him to go. It’s been five years and without Andrew luck there would be no playoff win whatsoever. The good news I haven’t seen Jim so ticked off before. Hopefully he put a huge fire underneath our coach and general manager to get things done or else. And as you see all the talk going on about being noncommittal about Carson. Carson has told us he wants to come back next year and he’ll do better. So there’s a bit of a dichotomy here. So summing up if we put all of our trust in Ballard then the defensive line will get better. Assuming he’s right about that I think we should target two wide receivers, a cornerback and linebacker. 

6 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Look at it this way, if Ballard did the right thing our pass rush should be much better next year. He put a lot of stock in Dayo and Paye. However if Ballard misses on both of those and those players become average NFL players then we are set back a couple years and Ballard should be done. Concerning the so-called best offense of line in the NFL I think it’s time to bring in a veteran line coach to get in those players faces and get them to quit underachieving. Ballard has limited time in the draft but he better not mess on rounds 2,3,4 and 5. And once again if Ballard swings and misses it’s time for him to go. It’s been five years and without Andrew luck there would be no playoff win whatsoever. The good news I haven’t seen Jim so ticked off before. Hopefully he put a huge fire underneath our coach and general manager to get things done or else. And as you see all the talk going on about being noncommittal about Carson. Carson has told us he wants to come back next year and he’ll do better. So there’s a bit of a dichotomy here. So summing up if we put all of our trust in Ballard then the defensive line will get better. Assuming he’s right about that I think we should target two wide receivers, a cornerback and linebacker. 

I think it’s more id our pass rush schemes then players. So keeping Baker won’t help.

On 1/15/2022 at 6:19 PM, compuls1v3 said:

I can see the silver lining.  Now that I’m not sad anymore.  No stone will be un turned.  LT, DE, CB, and QB training will be key.

The discouraging thing is that we had these same holes plus WR going into last offseason.  Still the same issues and the same people charged with trying to fix them.  

On 1/15/2022 at 5:19 PM, compuls1v3 said:

Those positions don't grow  on trees and the hardest to find. We don't need one of them, we need 4 and all in one year......good luck with that.

On 1/15/2022 at 2:45 PM, IrsaysArmy said:

Yeah I was able to put new bar end mirrors on my motorbike because I was not watching any Colts game lol

Blessing in disguise one could say haha. 

On 1/15/2022 at 2:45 PM, IrsaysArmy said:

Maybe, but if we had played like we played vs the Patriots we could be sitting with a SB win so I wouldn't have cared about anything else.  I'll always take the win.

13 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Those positions don't grow  on trees and the hardest to find. We don't need one of them, we need 4 and all in one year......good luck with that.

Agreed they aren’t easy to find.  Ballard has his work cut out for him, along with Reich and Wentz.

14 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

The discouraging thing is that we had these same holes plus WR going into last offseason.  Still the same issues and the same people charged with trying to fix them.  

Can’t say it was for a lack of trying.  Tried to fix LT and QB.  Unfortunately, things didn’t pan out the way we hoped for.  I still haven’t given up on Wentz.  There’s potential.  After two years I think we’ll know what we have, if he’s correctable or not.

On 1/15/2022 at 9:12 PM, TheNextGM said:

Dumb. For two reasons..

Would have played KC. 

But it does.....just not in the first round, and not much.

Archived