Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay message to fans

Restinpeacesweetchloe

31 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We’re no even remotely close to those days.  Heck, even I know Manning’s first season was 3-13.    Be serious. 

We're very close if you're talking QB stability, and potentially plain apathy. Musical chairs for years. I agree the franchise is different, but some aspects feel very similar. I've had several friends from Indy say the same thing. 

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We're very close if you're talking QB stability, and potentially plain apathy. Musical chairs for years. I agree the franchise is different, but some aspects feel very similar. I've had several friends from Indy say the same thing. 

Its one thing to be a disappointed fan…. But the comment was about being back to Pre-Manning days.   Back then there wasn’t much history of Colts success in Indy, except a few years with Harbaugh.   Otherwise, not much to speak of.

Since Manning arrived, I believe we’re the second winningest franchise in the NFL over the last 20-something years.   And since  2018, the last four years, so including this year, the Colts have the 11th most wins in the NFL.  (Saw that stat today in the Athletic).  So, I’m not very sympathetic about fans complaining about where the program is.   I get being disappointed and upset, but only up to a reasonable point.   Otherwise, it’s common now….   

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Its one thing to be a disappointed fan…. But the comment was about being back to Pre-Manning days.   Back then there wasn’t much history of Colts success in Indy, except a few years with Harbaugh.   Otherwise, not much to speak of.

Since Manning arrived, I believe we’re the second winningest franchise in the NFL over the last 20-something years.   And since  2018, the last four years, so including this year, the Colts have the 11th most wins in the NFL.  (Saw that stat today in the Athletic).  So, I’m not very sympathetic about fans complaining about where the program is.   I get being disappointed and upset, but only up to a reasonable point.   Otherwise, it’s common now….   

Your weren't a Colts fan pre-Luck, so wouldn't expect you to understand the pre-Manning feeling of apathy while Jim was the GM. 

Some aspects of the team are far better now, but a team with no identity and musical chairs at QB the last 4 years simply gives a lot of fans flashbacks. To be so apathetic for 13ish years, to then have Manning for 13 years, to fast forward to the last 4 years, it's pretty understandable. And sorry, having the 11th most wins over the last 4 years isn't banner material. Better than being the Jags or Jets, but that's not really a comp. 

People don’t need my permission to justify how they feel.  Everyone is entitled to whatever they’re feeling.   But given my public feelings about the fan base and how some here defend them, I’m sorry, I just don’t find these arguments very compelling.   Not that I’d expect anyone to care.  I’m just saying….

Your mileage may vary….    :peek:

Interesting indeed, especially the use of the word “chips.”

A reference to poker. Poker is an activity that some gamblers do and there is a famous song called “The Gambler” by Kenny Rogers (whose last name is very similar to the last name of a certain NFL QB). Also, a theme in that song is knowing when to fold (a reference to a certain other QB perhaps). 

And with “ALL” being emphasized, maybe he is willing to do whatever it takes.

Still can’t figure figure out who that “Whopper” was that Irsay was talking about trading for years ago, though. 

25 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Interesting indeed, especially the use of the word “chips.”

A reference to poker. Poker is an activity that some gamblers do and there is a famous song called “The Gambler” by Kenny Rogers (whose last name is very similar to the last name of a certain NFL QB). Also, a theme in that song is knowing when to fold (a reference to a certain other QB perhaps). 

And with “ALL” being emphasized, maybe he is willing to do whatever it takes.

Still can’t figure figure out who that “Whopper” was that Irsay was talking about trading for years ago, though. 

Give me the lotto numbers man.  I think you’ve ulocked the secret code.

I’d love to see ARodge in blue.  I watch them almost every week  My youngest son is a fan of the PAck (the little turd)and what he’s done this year with that team is astounding.  Baktiari out and smith and Alexander out on D and still the best record in the league.

maybe he and Mac are such bros he wants to be here lol

8 hours ago, chickenMan said:

Probably getting curb stomped by the worst team in the NFL with the playoffs on the line, despite having the best RB in football and a top 3 LB. Probably that.

That was obvious.  I wondered if something happened afterwards involving players and or staff.

18 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

The name itself has a bad rep, Irsay Sr was drunken jerk but most his scrutiny comes from moving the team over night from Baltimore. What a lot of people dont know though is that Maryland legislature had just passed a law that was going to allow the city to sieze the team from him. So it was actually pretty genious,

Yep, Bob was a genius all right. One of the greatest ownership minds I’ve witnessed , along with Peter Angelo’s. 

15 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Pre Manning teams best ever was 9-7. This team is a season removed from 11 wins. People forget how uncompetitive these teams were. I bought season tickets in 92 because you couldn’t watch their home games. They barely got 30k to attend.

17 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

Pre Manning teams best ever was 9-7. This team is a season removed from 11 wins. People forget how uncompetitive these teams were. I bought season tickets in 92 because you couldn’t watch their home games. They barely got 30k to attend.

Here's how it went....

Colts move in 84. Indy is off the charts excited.... 

Apathy sets in

Jimmy give us a spark in 95, fans get excited again... 

Manning gets drafted, and we're back to off the charts and attendance is 100+%

Luck get drafted and fans are torn

Manning wins SB in Denver, part of the fan base goes back to apathy

Luck plays well some years, and fandom rises

Luck gets hurt and misses time, fandom declines

Luck misses more time, and attendance falls from the standard 100+% capacity (don't think it's been back since)

JB gets a big raise/extension and takes over, fans don't know what to think.  

Indy gets near retirement Rivers and folks see stop gap

Indy gets Wentz and fans are divided

Apathy.... 

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Here's how it went....

Colts move in 84. Indy is off the charts excited.... 

Apathy sets in

Jimmy give us a spark in 95, fans get excited again... 

Manning gets drafted, and we're back to off the charts and attendance is 100+%

Luck get drafted and fans are torn

Manning wins SB in Denver, part of the fan base goes back to apathy

Luck plays well some years, and fandom rises

Luck gets hurt and misses time, fandom declines

Luck misses more time, and attendance falls from the standard 100+% capacity (don't think it's been back since)

JB gets a big raise/extension and takes over, fans don't know what to think.  

Indy gets near retirement Rivers and folks see stop gap

Indy gets Wentz and fans are divided

Apathy.... 

Even those 8-8 years after Manning would have been dream seasons before Jim.

22 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

Even those 8-8 years after Manning would have been dream seasons before Jim.

Post Manning was just hard. It's like NE post Brady. 

Spoiled. 

Just hard to get happy over lesser talent. 

It's like putting on a Timex after wearing a Cartier for a decade lol. 

If I'm honest, doubt I'll ever be as excited again over the Colts/NFL as I was with Manning. 

Luck never came close for me.

I'll just try to keep hoping lightening strikes twice somehow. 

Arch 2026 lol!

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Post Manning was just hard. It's like NE post Brady. 

Spoiled. 

Just hard to get happy over lesser talent. 

It's like putting on a Timex after wearing a Cartier for a decade lol. 

If I'm honest, doubt I'll ever be as excited again over the Colts/NFL as I was with Manning. 

Luck never came close for me.

I'll just try to keep hoping lightening strikes twice somehow. 

Arch 2026 lol!

That's pretty high bar you set for them. A generational talent isn't one to expect to come twice. If you think about it Irsays have drafted 3. 

My all time favorite season is still 1995!

16 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

That's pretty high bar you set for them. A generational talent isn't one to expect to come twice. If you think about it Irsays have drafted 3. 

My all time favorite season is still 1995!

1995 was definitely awesome. I was young and worked downtown Indy those days, and the whole office was wearing and decked out with blue. Wasn't my favorite season, but close. It was the first season we really got good traction. And it was roller coaster-ish exciting. 

2 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

Better tell your GM to start spending your money in free agency while getting rid of Carson Wentz.

Getting rid of him actually might not be the best option. The best option might be keeping him and not giving up anymore picks for a bandaid so we can draft a QB in 23. Can Irsay stay that patient and let 22 play out I don’t know.

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Getting rid of him actually might not be the best option. The best option might be keeping him and not giving up anymore picks for a bandaid so we can draft a QB in 23. Can Irsay stay that patient and let 22 play out I don’t know.

Not when you say you are going to win two Super Bowls in eight years. 

16 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

Not when you say you are going to win two Super Bowls in eight years. 

Jim's crystal ball moment aside, it's just a really bad year to go QB shopping.

Weak FA class, and weak draft class. That just drives up the price of good QB even more... 

In years like that, you have the following choices

1. Overpay and mortgage the future, creating long term issues in other areas of the team
  2. Tank a season to secure a great draft spot next year.... 
  3. Get a re-tread mediocre QB and pretend he's easily fixed and the future (like many say we did this year)
  4. Draft a second or third round guy, and sacrifice your first born in exchange for good juju. 
  5. Stay the course one more year hoping for improvement, improve other areas, while you wait for better FA or Draft class next season

I'm betting my $1 on #5

On 1/15/2022 at 4:57 PM, The Old Crow said:

Yep, Bob was a genius all right. One of the greatest ownership minds I’ve witnessed , along with Peter Angelo’s. 

I’d actually like to try to steal your Back Up QB, Tyler Huntley to be our Back Up QB.  That kid impressed the heck out of me….

14 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

I’d actually like to try to steal your Back Up QB, Tyler Huntley to be our Back Up QB.  That kid impressed the heck out of me….

He actually did go a great job . They are definitely going to resign him, but he will be available via free agency shortly. I’m not sure he’s what the Colts are looking for , as he may be in the Tyrod Taylor mold. Still, a pretty good QB. 
My gut tells me Irsay is looking for someone like Rodgers or Wilson. He wants to win right now, and doesn’t seem patient with developmental or underachieving QB’s. 

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Jim's crystal ball moment aside, it's just a really bad year to go QB shopping.

Weak FA class, and weak draft class. That just drives up the price of good QB even more... 

In years like that, you have the following choices

1. Overpay and mortgage the future, creating long term issues in other areas of the team
  2. Tank a season to secure a great draft spot next year.... 
  3. Get a re-tread mediocre QB and pretend he's easily fixed and the future (like many say we did this year)
  4. Draft a second or third round guy, and sacrifice your first born in exchange for good juju. 
  5. Stay the course one more year hoping for improvement, improve other areas, while you wait for better FA or Draft class next season

I'm betting my $1 on #5

I tend to agree. 2 Super Bowls and All chips indicate this course 

Archived