Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay message to fans

He wants to win badly, just like we fans and the coaches. He lets the guys he hired operate without too much interference and has confidence that they will get the job done, until he feels differently about the direction the franchise is heading. Of course, he wants to sell season tickets too. :) 

7 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

I like it. Really curious what he’s gonna make happen. 

Irsay doesn’t seem like the kind of owner to “make” anything happen.   He’s not firing Ballard or Reich.   He’s already said that.  And he lets those guys do their job.

I don’t see Irsay ordering either to fire any assistant, or anyone else in the building.   I think Chris and Frank made it pretty clear they’re not afraid to do what they think has to be done.  And Irsay will let them. 

Irsay does seem a bit more T’d off than us fans have seen from him. I think he’s tired of having so many let downs each year. The fans are too. We all get so committed to this team by following the draft, following all the colts activities, training camps, game days, merch and hype videos and then lose 1st game in the playoffs or not make the playoffs. We have a revolving door at QB every year. Ballard has built a strong team with some strong players and their time is being wasted because we can’t seem to coach the team consistently or the QB position isn’t elite enough to win games when needed. We are just going to be back at square 1 in a few years. Those all pro players are going to be older and past their prime. We need to win now…

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

All chips are in?? Trading the farm for Arod or Russel Wilson? hahaha :peek:

Neither Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson would sign off on a trade to Indy.   They’d simply tell the Colts that they won’t sign a contract extension with the team.   The deal would never happen, even if we were willing to pay the full or ice in both draft picks and contract.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Neither Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson would sign off on a trade to Indy.   They’d simply tell the Colts that they won’t sign a contract extension with the team.   The deal would never happen, even if we were willing to pay the full or ice in both draft picks and contract.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Seattle did trade Wilson he ends up a giant.

I could see Wilson as a Bronco depending on new ownership there... 

I think Rogers will simply play his time out in GB, and then do a Brady, looking for the best situation for him in 2023. Unless the perfect team (from AR's standpoint) come after him hard this year, he's best just hanging for 22. All in all, the best thing for him, is to become a FA, go and get a big pay day, but also not burden the team he's going to less draft picks.... 

1 hour ago, deedub75 said:

Season ticket invoices are out and they were sent out early. 

Now that’s what he’s really talking about. It’s about fannies in the stands. He has to say he’s all in to achieve this. Talk is cheap so we’ll see what really happens. I’ll be surprised if a few major changes happen. I’m a long time fan and former season ticket holder and have heard all this before. Hope I’m wrong this time. Let’s see if Irsay and the organization backs it up.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

haha I know but one can dream, just like that guy who said we should trade Wentz for a 4th

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I could see Wilson as a Bronco depending on new ownership there... 

I think Rogers will simply play his time out in GB, and then do a Brady, looking for the best situation for him in 2023. Unless the perfect team (from AR's standpoint) come after him hard this year, he's best just hanging for 22. All in all, the best thing for him, is to become a FA, go and get a big pay day, but also not burden the team he's going to less draft picks.... 

I do not see RW or Rodgers moving.

This is what I do not want. When Irsay started tweeting "The trade winds are blowing...blah, blah, blah", Grigson gave us Trent Richardson and he also gave us Vontae Davis too. I felt like the pressure came from up above then from Irsay for Grigson to do something. But Grigson was a fledgling, did not want to disappoint the owner. I do not want Ballard's hand to be forced by any means, however I don't think it will happen.

Irsay is in a different and better place right now, personally and with his hands off approach, IMO. He had to justify getting rid of Peyton so bad that it led to more influencing Grigson than we would have liked. So, bottom line, we sit down and have a good talk with Wentz, ask him to work with QB coaches on his mechanics, the short passing game, give him a few more weapons to throw to, and work on chemistry in the off season. 

Once EVERYBODY cools down a bit, giving it another shot with Wentz will end up being a reasonable chance once we see more talent added. That is how I think it will play out. The only thing different would be to bring in a vet like Trubisky or Mariota to challenge him as a Plan B should his QBR tank like 2020 following 2019. The leash will be shorter this time for Wentz going into 2022.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, TaylorStillTruckedYou said:

With a bunch of backlash in his earlier years, Irsay really is the ideal owner and I’m grateful he is ours

An owner who is passionate but also patient, and supportive of his GM and Coaches and keeps them accountable is a good make that I’m sure a lot of fan bases would give for

I think people hear Irsay and think of his dad. Son has been absolutely nothing like his dad when it comes to running his team. His ownership changed the organization into a stable perennial playoff team.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

I think people hear Irsay and think of his dad. Son has been absolutely nothing like his dad when it comes to running his team. His ownership changed the organization into a stable perennial playoff team.

Exactly, it could be so much worse.  It may not be perfect every year but there are also 31 other teams in the league.  It’s not an easy task to consistently be successful

19 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

The name itself has a bad rep, Irsay Sr was drunken jerk but most his scrutiny comes from moving the team over night from Baltimore. What a lot of people dont know though is that Maryland legislature had just passed a law that was going to allow the city to sieze the team from him. So it was actually pretty genious,

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I do not see RW or Rodgers moving.

This is what I do not want. When Irsay started tweeting "The trade winds are blowing...blah, blah, blah", Grigson gave us Trent Richardson and he also gave us Vontae Davis too. I felt like the pressure came from up above then from Irsay for Grigson to do something. But Grigson was a fledgling, did not want to disappoint the owner. I do not want Ballard's hand to be forced by any means, however I don't think it will happen.

Irsay is in a different and better place right now, personally and with his hands off approach, IMO. He had to justify getting rid of Peyton so bad that it led to more influencing Grigson than we would have liked. So, bottom line, we sit down and have a good talk with Wentz, ask him to work with QB coaches on his mechanics, the short passing game, give him a few more weapons to throw to, and work on chemistry in the off season. 

Once EVERYBODY cools down a bit, giving it another shot with Wentz will end up being a reasonable chance once we see more talent added. That is how I think it will play out. The only thing different would be to bring in a vet like Trubisky or Mariota to challenge him as a Plan B should his QBR tank like 2020 following 2019. The leash will be shorter this time for Wentz going into 2022.

I have zero problem with an owner having input or a day to day voice. I don't like it when they get overly meddlesome. There's a fine line. I'm much more supportive of an owner meddling when there are multi-year trends. And I do think there are some trends that need to be managed. Those multi-year trends though IMO have more to do with scheme than players. We've basically swapped players in and out, but what we've seen is pretty similar. 

That said, I don't believe forcing Wentz out is the smart move (right now). I think the QB musical chair thing is one of the trends that needs to stop. And I'm sorry, and I realize most disagree right now, but having a poor pass pro LT (and an OL that was musical chairs most of the year) combined with lackluster pass catchers, is simply an obvious and valid reason to cut Wentz some slack. I really don't think the scheme was overly supportive of his skillset either. Letting Ds constantly play up, yet going overly short in the passing game, is just not a great strategy. For a second year in a row, we had a very good deep ball accuracy average, but very low deep ball attempts. That's simply scheme. 

Anyway, musical chairs at QB for a 5th year is not something I want to see. If there was an obvious upgrade, I wouldn't mind at all. Some of the names thrown around though are hilarious. Especially putting some of those guys into the same situation Wentz was in this year. And for us specifically, it's not a year cap wise, nor is it a good QB FA crop. Nor is it a good QB draft class even if we did have picks. I'd stay the course one more year, fix LT, improve WR, tweak scheme, work on mechanics, etc.. If it doesn't work out, go all in on QB in 23.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Yes….    Wilson will want a team that's ready to win now, that’s only a quarterback away, like Denver,  and/or the chance to be in a big media market like NY, LA or Chicago .  Or a sexy market in a tax free state like Miami.   

Indy doesn’t really qualify on any of them. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes….    Wilson will want a team that's ready to win now, that’s only a quarterback away, like Denver,  and/or the chance to be in a big media market like NY, LA or Chicago .  Or a sexy market in a tax free state like Miami.   

Indy doesn’t really qualify on any of them. 

We went 9-8 with Carson Wentz at QB. And could’ve had a handful more wins. I disagree that this team isn’t a QB away from being a SB contender 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IrsaysArmy said:

We went 9-8 with Carson Wentz at QB. And could’ve had a handful more wins. I disagree that this team isn’t a QB away from being a SB contender 

The problem with that view is this….   The last two games we were exposed.   We’re more than a quarterback away.   Plus, once we pay the draft picks we would have to pay, that would make our ability to fix other problems even more difficult.  

Guys like Rodgers and Wilson can control where they end up.  Neither is going to want to end up in Indy for a variety of reasons. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

In 2018 we were 10-6 and won a playoff game with a top 10 QB. We had a rookie head coach, and according to most people, a roster that was left bare by Grigson that Ballard had just started to rebuild. 

In 2020 we went 11-5 with an aging future HOF QB, who gave us solid play. 

In 2021 we went 9-8, beat some very good teams, and had 3 unthinkable comeback losses vs very good teams, with erratic QB play. 

Top 10 QB play makes this team a SB contender.  Do I see us getting a guy in that category for next year? Unfortunately, I do not. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ClaytonC said:

What happened to ignite this fire?  

Probably getting curb stomped by the worst team in the NFL with the playoffs on the line, despite having the best RB in football and a top 3 LB. Probably that.

3 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Right now being sent to New York (either team) is basically a prison sentence. Those two teams are run by monkeys, they don’t know how to operate a football organization.

I’d like to add this to be clear…. 

I suppose it’s possible Irsay could say to Ballard and Reich that if they can help it, try hard to move on from Wentz.   Try not to bring him back in 22.   I suspect he’d add something like, don’t do it if you think it will make things worse long term.  

In other words, a strong recommendation rather than a 100 percent absolute marching order.  

Just thinking out loud…..

• Like 1

This organization is at a crossroads.  It's starting to feel like we're to a point where we are content just to be scrounging for a wild card every few years.  It hasn't felt like that in 25 years.  

The Jags loss was an embarrassing low.  You need to hit the reset button and turn the page on it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, #12. said:

This organization is at a crossroads.  It's starting to feel like we're to a point where we are content just to be scrounging for a wild card every few years.  It hasn't felt like that in 25 years.  

The Jags loss was an embarrassing low.  You need to hit the reset button and turn the page on it.

That’s what happens when your franchise QB retires. Now we feel like most of the other teams. You are right about it being a crossroads. They need to fix this but will they panic and make the wrong moves. Whatever they do still needs to be smart moves that help  this team. 

48 minutes ago, #12. said:

Yep..... we're in pre Manning days.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, #12. said:

“We are content to be in the Wild Card every few years.” 

WTH?!? 

You've heard Irsay make I think three different statements this week.   Just a few months ago, during the season, he said he thought Ballard and Reich would bring Indy TWO Super Bowl championships. 

You’ve also heard Ballard talk for over an hour.   It’s the angriest he’s ever been.   You’ve heard Frank go on and on how everyone is upset. 

Who sounded “content”?   I thought they all sounded pretty unhappy.   I have no idea where “content” comes from?

• Thanks 1