Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Monday Night Playoff Game?!? Cardinals @ Rams, Jan. 17, 2022

NewColtsFan

So I’m reading a story about Rams quarterback Matthew Stafford’s and it talks about the game is MONDAY NIGHT .

And I thought, WTH?!?  

When did the NFL put playoff games on Monday night?!?    Doesn’t that put the winner at a competitive disadvantage?   Won’t the winner have to face some other team on a short week, while the team they play is on longer rest?

I’m sure the reason is money, but what the heck?!?     Messing with the playoffs like this seems a couple of bridges too far.   What else am I not understanding?   Help me here!  

:giveup:

• Like 2

I read that the reason for a Monday night playoff game is that it's very lucrative. Monday football is a way for those betting to cut losses or make even more money. The NFL has deals with online betting services who pay millions to broadcast Monday games. They want to keep their partners/sponsors happy.  So the money is the driving force. 

The NFL used to discourage gambling, but it's too profitable so they decided to get a piece of the action. 

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So I’m reading a story about Rams quarterback Matthew Stafford’s and it talks about the game is MONDAY NIGHT .

And I thought, WTH?!?  

When did the NFL put playoff games on Monday night?!?    Doesn’t that out the winner at a competitive disadvantage?   Won’t the winner have to face some other team on a short week, while the team they play is on longer rest?

I’m sure the reason is money, but what the heck?!?     Messing with the playoffs like thus seems a couple of bridges too far.   What else am I not understanding?   Help me here!  

I totally agree. Most likely, the MNF winner will get the last divisional round game on Sunday. Even then, it is 1 day less than what playoff teams in the past got. More ways to make money for ESPN/ABC? Typically playoffs are only on NBC, CBS and FOX, correct? Now by putting it on MNF, they get another network involved for the money? I personally do not like it, just like you.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I totally agree. Most likely, the MNF winner will get the last divisional round game on Sunday. Even then, it is 1 day less than what playoff teams in the past got. More ways to make money for ESPN/ABC? Typically playoffs are only on NBC, CBS and FOX, correct? Now by putting it on MNF, they get another network involved for the money? I personally do not like it, just like you.

Well ESPN/ABC had a game normally Saturday early game (us last year)

• Like 1

Just now, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

My bad, I just remember being annoyed with the announcershaha

2018 was ESPN.

But ya, ESPN has broadcast a WC game each year and now are on rotation for Super Bowl

Money talks. But hey, Disney can cut back by not giving families direct rides from the airports to the hotels anymore, despite raising all their prices, right? :) 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And I thought, WTH?!?  

When did the NFL put playoff games on Monday night?!?    Doesn’t that put the winner at a competitive disadvantage?   Won’t the winner have to face some other team on a short week, while the team they play is on longer rest?

I’m sure the reason is money, but what the heck?!?     Messing with the playoffs like this seems a couple of bridges too far.   What else am I not understanding?   Help me here!  

I agree with what you think.

But for my own selfish interests, it works.   It'll be nice to have 3 days of playoff football.   

It is nice to see that no games have been pushed out due to covid.

23 hours ago, teganslaw said:

I read that the reason for a Monday night playoff game is that it's very lucrative. Monday football is a way for those betting to cut losses or make even more money. The NFL has deals with online betting services who pay millions to broadcast Monday games. They want to keep their partners/sponsors happy.  So the money is the driving force. 

The NFL used to discourage gambling, but it's too profitable so they decided to get a piece of the action. 

If it wasn't for Gambling and Fantasy, the NFL wouldn't be nearly as popular and watchable.

3 hours ago, Myles said:

I was very popular before gambling and fantasy.

The game has been deteriorating....a few years ago it was unwatchable to enough where the ratings went down to that they were thinking about doing away with Thursday night football. 

Its product has improved some the last year or two but still long and many stoppages. 

As far as betting/Fantasy, that's a major component of sports these days, especially the NFL.  More and more states are legalizing sports betting to the delight of NFL who I think partnered up with Draft Kings. On ESPN and other networks the betting lines roll by on the crawler.

15 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The game has been deteriorating....a few years ago it was unwatchable to enough where the ratings went down to that they were thinking about doing away with Thursday night football. 

Its product has improved some the last year or two but still long and many stoppages. 

As far as betting/Fantasy, that's a major component of sports these days, especially the NFL.  More and more states are legalizing sports betting to the delight of NFL who I think partnered up with Draft Kings. On ESPN and other networks the betting lines roll by on the crawler.

I was looking and didn't really see the dip in ratings that you mentioned.   I may have missed it.  The NFL has always been strong even having insignificant games besting NBA playoff games in the ratings quite often.   I don't doubt the gambling and fantasy have helped them, but I don't think they were ever in trouble.  

3 hours ago, Myles said:

I was looking and didn't really see the dip in ratings that you mentioned.   I may have missed it.  The NFL has always been strong even having insignificant games besting NBA playoff games in the ratings quite often.   I don't doubt the gambling and fantasy have helped them, but I don't think they were ever in trouble.  

"NFL denies that Thursday Night Football could be limited or eliminated - ProFootballTalk" https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/28/nfl-denies-that-thursday-night-football-could-be-limited-or-eliminated/amp/

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

"NFL denies that Thursday Night Football could be limited or eliminated - ProFootballTalk" https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/28/nfl-denies-that-thursday-night-football-could-be-limited-or-eliminated/amp/

Ir should be eliminated or done in a way where it comes off a bye week. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I don't think the NFL would drop the Thursday night games.   They only care about the ratings.   Thursday Night Football has been getting over 14 million viewers the past few years.  

I agree with  Taylor above that only teams coming off a bye week should play in them.   But I don't expect the NFL to change anything.  

https://www.statista.com/statistics/819113/nfl-thursday-night-football-viewers/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I don't think the NFL would drop the Thursday night games.   They only care about the ratings.   Thursday Night Football has been getting over 14 million viewers the past few years.  

I agree with  Taylor above that only teams coming off a bye week should play in them.   But I don't expect the NFL to change anything.  

https://www.statista.com/statistics/819113/nfl-thursday-night-football-viewers/

I don't expect them to drop Thursday games either, but at the time of that story the ratings were down.

• NFLfan changed the title to Monday Night Playoff Game?!? Cardinals @ Rams, Jan. 17, 2022

I dont mind the Monday Night Playoffs. More days with playoff games for us. Its been apparent that the only thing NFL cares about is money since they introduced Thursday Night Football. They grandstand about player safety but viewers and money is the bottom line. More regular season games...more playoff teams.

I wouldn't be surprised if by 2030 they move to an NHL/NBA style playoffs, 8 teams from each side. Maybe 19 or 20 games, 1 preseason. Saturday Football is probably going to be a regular thing every week soon.

8 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Like someone mentioned our QB play looks so bad compared to what these other teams look like.

In hind sight, we should have traded whatever it took for Stafford. Apparently he was interested in coming here. Bad miss by Ballard IMO

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

We don’t have half the weapons he has. Ballard is the one that didn’t want him. We also didn’t have the QB piece to add to the trade.

Ballard did want him we just got outbid. Ballard wasn't willing to pay the price the Rams were. Ballard didn't want Wentz, let frank talk him into it

I want a pass rush like the Rams.

2 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Ballard did want him we just got outbid. Ballard wasn't willing to pay the price the Rams were. Ballard didn't want Wentz, let frank talk him into it

Levin Bowen stated there was someone in the colts big 3 that would not sign off on it. He has now come out and said it was Ballard.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I want a pass rush like the Rams.

Levin Bowen stated there was someone in the colts big 3 that would not sign off on it. He has now come out and said it was Ballard.

Yah because the price was to high. We were in on him though.