Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard Press Conference

IrsaysArmy

4 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Huh he’s not thrilled with him. I’m annoyed how he can say the WR core is talented though it’s not at all.

I can't fathom he actually believes this.  That would be reason to fire him before he leaves the building. 

It's gotta be GM speak.

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

You waste a 1st and 3rd on a band aide? Asking for a friend.

I did not see the beginning of the presser.  Some are saying that he praised Wentz.  The part I saw indicated that he had to be thinking the shortcomings on O were on the QB, but that's my take.

He also said that this is a spread the ball around offense, and that we did less of that this year than last year.  etc.

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

Irsay: there will be changes!

Ballard: Reich is amazing, Eberflus is amazing, Wentz is amazing(just needs to make the layups), all our coaches are great. Our roster is great, we got 7 pro bowlers, WRs are great group, DEs are young and need time, OL is great, CBs are young and getting better... 

So yeah... this is kind of a slap in the face of every Colts fan that has been angry and distraught with what happened last two weeks. Not that I expected him to publicly roast the roster but yeah... that was kind of tone deaf to say the least. 

I'm gonna have to agree with this assessment, mostly.

Summary of the conference --

Ballard:  This was an embarrassment, and changes must be made.

Press Corp:  What changes will that be?

Ballard:  None.  Carson will be back.  Fisher will be back.  Eberflus will be back...

Yeah, I had to chuckle too.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I did not see the beginning of the presser.  Some are saying that he praised Wentz.  The part I saw indicated that he had to be thinking the shortcomings on O were on the QB, but that's my take.

To me, we all have to end up "reading between the lines" to an extent in these generic pressers.

"Wentz has to play better", "We have to be able to pass in this league...", "Gotta make the layups", "Hines and Pascal had 800 and 600 last year, Pascal had more than 600 yards 2 years in a row..."

were countered with "Wentz also did a few good things" like throwing a bone in the other direction.

So, to me, the overall verdict was, he is not too thrilled with the performance of Wentz.

2 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm gonna have to agree with this assessment, mostly.

Summary of the conference --

Ballard:  This was an embarrassment, and changes must be made.

Press Corp:  What changes will that be?

Ballard:  None.  Carson will be back.  Fisher will be back.  Eberflus will be back...

Yeah, I had to chuckle too.

Fish will be gone trust me but your post is funny, I love it haha 

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Ballard has acknowledged that neither Carson or Fisher are the long term solutions.  He used the term "band aid" when talking about those positions.

He never said that about Wentz. He said he wants Wentz to be the answer or another  guy for ten years. Was asked about QB bandaids and said sometimes you can’t find the long term  right away. Never called Wentz a bandaid.

Can someone tell me what was said about Pittman. I missed that part.

Ego gets in Ballard’s way. He won’t change. Asked about his lack of helping the team through free agency, he cited his acquisition of … Buckner, who wasn’t a free agent. He said he’s not going to sign a FA just because the media is “clamoring” for one. It’s absurd. Ballard thinks you either blow your cap on an overpriced free agent or you don’t sign any — there is middle ground and many successful teams find it. And if actually thinks we have a talented group of WR w great upside then he’s more overrated than I thought. Other than that, a lot of “look, man” and “you know me” and cursing dropped in so the media will call him “honest and transparent. 

30 minutes ago, chad72 said:

"Short passing game" - make the layups. He said it several times. Wentz has to make the layups within the system, doesn't need to play hero.

I refuse to believe Frank hasn’t told him this a million over the season, so why should it all of a sudden stick because the GM said it?

Just now, Wentzszn said:

He never said that about Wentz. He said he wants Wentz to be the answer or another  guy for ten years. Was asked about QB bandaids and said sometimes you can’t find the long term  right away. Never called Wentz a bandaid.

Can someone tell me what was said about Pittman. I missed that part.

Of the good things that happened this season, he said JT emerged as one of the best players in this league and still has room to be better (also said he got lucky with JT's pick), and Pittman really emerged this season.

Just now, Solid84 said:

I refuse to believe Frank hasn’t told him this a million over the season, so why should it all of a sudden stick because the GM said it?

...only because the media wanted to hear it. Frank never told that to the media, right? 

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

To me, we all have to end up "reading between the lines" to an extent in these generic pressers.

"Wentz has to play better", "We have to be able to pass in this league...", "Gotta make the layups"

were countered with "Wentz also did a few good things" like throwing a bone in the other direction.

So, to me, the verdict was, he is not too thrilled with the performance of Wentz.

Who is a long term spread the ball around QB who can hit the easy layups that Ballard says that is a big part of Frank's game?

Eihlinger?

Anybody in the draft or FA?    

3 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Ego gets in Ballard’s way. He won’t change. Asked about his lack of helping the team through free agency, he cited his acquisition of … Buckner, who wasn’t a free agent. He said he’s not going to sign a FA just because the media is “clamoring” for one. It’s absurd. Ballard thinks you either blow your cap on an overpriced free agent or you don’t sign any — there is middle ground and many successful teams find it. And if actually thinks we have a talented group of WR w great upside then he’s more overrated than I thought. Other than that, a lot of “look, man” and “you know me” and blah blah blah. 

Just noticed your screen name.  I'd tell Grigs (I meant Ballard) that he can't hold his mud.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Who is a long term spread the ball around QB who can hit the easy layups that Ballard says that is a big part of Frank's game?

Eihlinger?

Anybody in the draft or FA?    

Jimmy G with a quick release is outstanding at it in the 10-20 yard range. He relies on YAC from Deebo and Kittle all the time along with his running game, much like Rivers except he can use his legs a bit more like Wentz. Problem is he is more fragile than Wentz on the injury front, would need an incentive laden contract.  That is just my opinion.

Pretty much what I expected for the most part. Was more critical of Wentz than I figured, but nothing outlandish. More just interesting that he acknowledged the importance of QB, no matter the talent elsewhere.

Surprised he was bullish on the WR’s. Kind of on the DL too, but acknowledges it wasn’t enough. Seems like he’s talking more about depth there though, which makes sense with the recent workouts.

Think the thing he goes after most is a LT, then just more of the same at other positions. Wouldn’t be surprised if he adds a WR, but definitely not the top tier.

40 minutes ago, Nickster said:

You must have missed the middle of Manning's career and last 2 years then. 

This years OLINE was far from special.  You can simply see that by watching games or look at grades. 

Our Oline was not very good this year.  Lot's of different reasons for this, but I don't believe you think this OLINE was great.

Kelly played hurt

Nelson played hurt

Fisher played hurt

When very good to great players grade out well below their normal performance, they’re hurt.  What part of hurt don’t you understand?

Your attitude is they’re no good, get rid of them.    That’s the view of a frustrated fan.   This line has been great in the past, there’s no reason to think they can’t be great again.

Taylor didn’t run for 1800 yards by himself.    Wentz had the fewest sacks in a number of years.   The O-Line may not have been great, but they weren’t as bad as you try to make them out to be. 

19 minutes ago, stitches said:

Irsay: there will be changes!

Ballard: Reich is amazing, Eberflus is amazing, Wentz is amazing(just needs to make the layups), all our coaches are great. Our roster is great, we got 7 pro bowlers, WRs are great group, DEs are young and need time, OL is great, CBs are young and getting better... 

So yeah... this is kind of a slap in the face of every Colts fan that has been angry and distraught with what happened last two weeks. Not that I expected him to publicly roast the roster but yeah... that was kind of tone deaf to say the least. 

He definitely didn’t say Wentz was amazing. If anything he all but said he was very unhappy with his performance. 

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

"Wentz has to play better", "We have to be able to pass in this league...", "Gotta make the layups", "Hines and Pascal had 800 and 600 last year, Pascal had more than 600 yards 2 years in a row..."

So, to me, the overall verdict was, he is not too thrilled with the performance of Wentz.

spot on

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Right.    When asked about a player directly, a GM is not gong to throw someone under the bus and will tend to support the player. 

But when speaking sincerely about where he thinks things went wrong, you can tell that he must be thinking the QB was responsible for a lot of the issues on offense, just based upon where he says the team needs to be better at.  Direct vs. Nuance 

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Jimmy G with a quick release is outstanding at it in the 10-20 yard range. He relies on YAC from Deebo and Kittle all the time along with his running game, much like Rivers except he can use his legs a bit more like Wentz. Problem is he is more fragile than Wentz on the injury front, would need an incentive laden contract.  That is just my opinion.

Jimmy G has 3 pro bowlers as offensive skill players. 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What is funny is, how does a team like the Rams just get Von Miller and Odell and we can't do nothing? No way they could that if there was a true Salary Cap. I have looked at the numbers, they over the Salary Cap. Do the math.

This is actually true, has anyone looked at those 2 guys contract's. No way that should've been allowed. Math baby!

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Jimmy G has 3 pro bowlers as offensive skill players. 

Yeah, who threw to them to get the production in an accurate manner? Having TY with Luck and JB produced different results, we know that first hand. It takes two to tango. Lance only started 1 or 2 games. Jimmy G is accurate in the short passing game. Look at the fast slants he threw vs some of the best Rams DBs in their first game and some darts he threw in the second game, it showed me all I needed to know about his accuracy which is far better than Wentz in the 10-20 range.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What is funny is, how does a team like the Rams just get Von Miller and Odell and we can't do nothing? No way they could that if there was a true Salary Cap. I have looked at the numbers, they over the Salary Cap. Do the math.

Dear God…   :facepalm:

So what are you saying?   That there’s a conspiracy going on?   That someone is cheating?   That Irsay is cheap?   Make your point clearly.   Say what you mean. 

Im likely going to regret this post if I don’t already…..   

9 minutes ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

"would like Carson Wentz to be the long term answer but sometimes it doesn't work out that way"

“I’d like to quit band-aiding it. I’d like for Carson to be the long-term answer or for somebody to be here for the next 10 years.”

Hmm...he doesn't seem commited to Wentz.

That wasn’t the quote.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Dear God…   :facepalm:

So what are you saying?   That there’s a conspiracy going on?   That someone is cheating?   That Irsay is cheap?   Make your point clearly.   Say what you mean. 

Im likely going to regret this post if I don’t already…..   

No just look at it. How did they get those guys? Just asking. I am looking at it and Salary Cap wise it is impossible.

Archived