Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard Press Conference

IrsaysArmy

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

That is a "spin" to me. My view is that the coaches are unable to make adjustments with the same talent when the opposing team has made the adjustments and goes high octane. 

Constants and variables is all I deal with in my profession. The constants are the talent, the variables are "execution and coaching", with the coaching being a greater factor than talent. On certain fronts, when we have to keep up in a shootout, we are unable to because of the pass catching talent. That is borne out clearly across the season but in game adjustments, it is not about talent and is about coaching mostly. It is making excuses for the coaches. 2-5 in 1 score games is more about coaching than talent.

It's not the X's and the O's, it's the Jimmys and the Joes

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I don't think there is much a coach can do with Willis, Blackmon, and RYS other than to play soft zone.  Try to play Man or aggressive deep cover with that group and they will get burned.  And those are the starters that aren't even playing.

I think Rivers could not convert because he did not have anything close to an Antonio Gates or Keenan Allen last year.  He played like he was doing the best that he could with what he had.

I think Wentz not seeing the field is on Wentz.

JMO.

Bam.  Add to that a terrible pass rushing unit, and it's amazing we don't surrender 40 a game.

19 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I hope somebody asks Ballard about how he has built this roster. If we want to resign Nelson kelly will probably have to be traded.  There are going to have to be players traded that aren’t in skill spots who are making a lot of money. 

Correct that’s why I’ve mentioned Kelly as a trade piece. Think we could get a late 2nd from right team. 

46 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

To make a like for like comparison.....our vaunted Bill Polian....who some may feel was all that, built a team with great talent at the skill positions. It appears they may feel that is superior to the way Ballard is building this team. (Not at you MP, but here comes a mini rant)

Well, that skill position cast won 1 SB over a long span of years.....and the Colts needed an ace defender to return to health in the nick of time just to make it there that season. It also bears note that Dwight, injured late in the season, likely kept us out in another year. Why didn't the skill players get us there anyway? Hmmm?

Fans feel all injured and crap, and just neeeeed to point a finger, assign blame, and feel better about their poor feelings. The reality is just one player going off, or a couple of plays here and there going the other way, and the season looks very different. 

This offensive line is better than any I have seen since Indy brought the Colts to town. They gutted it out big time despite having HUGE injury issues. They simply could not gather the cohesion needed in the last game to combat the kitchen sink that was thrown at them by a pretty formidable Jags D.....that line especially. I can't wait to see the Colts line next season if they can get to week one all intact and healthy. 

Fans act as if there is a cupboard of talent available each season for each position with each teams higher picks. Flash alert....there isn't. Instead of knee jerking and force filling certain positions, Ballard has taken the positions he felt were the best available. Some have not worked out (like all GM's), but many have. He has a plan thank the universe, but it si not designed to keep fans happy each step of the way. 

Heaven forbid we haven't won a * SB yet. Jesus, people. Last time I checked.....there are 32 teams. 32 teams! They are all on scholarship too. Their fans are just as rabid, just as demanding, and just as visionless. A first and a third pick...was not a bad deal for Carson. Try to imagine what 3 firsts would do to the Colts if that pick failed. Think about it! Just imagine the ridiculous carnage that this board would display if we had 3 years of this moaning. 

They are doing the best they can...players included. Here is a novel idea.....support them! Tell you what, if Ballard gets the incredible opportunity to draft a Peyton like QB, and gets as many years as Bill did to get just one SB...would all fans be satisfied?

Ya, we all know the answer to that. 

You must have missed the middle of Manning's career and last 2 years then. 

This years OLINE was far from special.  You can simply see that by watching games or look at grades. 

Our Oline was not very good this year.  Lot's of different reasons for this, but I don't believe you think this OLINE was great.

I never understood the hype and worship Ballard got by the media . The same problems the colts had when he took over still are problems .    

The wrs are still average ,the corners are still average . the defensive ends are still average.    He added two good guys to the offensive line and lost one good guy in ac .  He added Pittman and lost a prime ty so broke even .  He basically upgraded defensive tackle will linebacker and two spots on the offensive line and a running back in 5 years. 

22 minutes ago, Detectacon said:

I don’t disagree with a lot of what he said at the start, but was anyone else put off by his tone? He just seems really indignant toward everyone for the GM of a team that just wet the bed. 

Bluster is often a sign of self doubt.  Not always, but usually.

3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

So they’re doubling down on Wentz, and Ballard says no coaching staff changes are anticipated…

This doesn’t sound like changes at all. 

They have to give it another go with Wentz with a few improvements in pass catching and secondary department. Then, they can put to rest "talent or coaching" discussion, IMO. The coaches' seats will get warmer after 2022. 

Plus, we gave Pagano who showed little player development across years, 6 years. I am sure some position coaches will be changed, but the thorough review has not been done yet.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

They have to give it another go with Wentz with a few improvements in pass catching and secondary department. Then, they can put to rest "talent or coaching" discussion, IMO. The coaches' seats will get warmer after 2022. 

Plus, we gave Pagano who showed little player development across years, 6 years. I am sure some position coaches will be changed, but the thorough review has not been done yet.

Wentz will be back but I don't trust him like I wouldn't trust a Tannehill or a Baker. 

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't do Mocks like many in here but I would take a LT with our 2nd round pick and say goodbye to Fish. Go after a WR in Free Agency if we plan to stick with Wentz. Take a CB in the 4th.

Quality Left tackles don't usually make it to the 2nd.  you have to get lucky with pick #47 or whatever we have.

6 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

wish I could hear the questions better

I was thinking the same thing.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

"Short passing game" - make the layups. He said it several times. Wentz has to make the layups within the system, doesn't need to play hero.

That’s really the only thing he said in his press Conf that was worth a listen. The rest was what I expected: lots of “we have to be better” but in the end, little to no acknowledgement that this means changing much at all. I guess it’s too much to expect genuine candor in this type of media setting, but I wish he’d said the coaches need to be better, because that’s what needs to change. More pass catching and pass rushing talent too, but the play calling on both sides of the ball was pretty bad. At times awful. The Colts won’t get where they hope to go if they don’t address this glaring issue. JMO. 

"The cupboard is not bare", "We finished 9-8, not 5-11", all these statements believe that Ballard feels the talent is there but we are not finishing. Not finishing games, not finishing the season, like we are supposed to, IMO. He did say Hines was underutilized in the passing game, so was Pascal, and we have to be able to pass the ball and rush the passer. So I do think some additions are coming in the passing department, most likely in the pass catching department.

He glowed about Tyquan Lewis, so most likely Lewis and Turay are coming back, but nothing about Banogu who is gone. So he wants to give the young pass rushers (Paye and Dayo mainly) next year to develop and will work on adding depth but not starters, that is my take on it.

One more year with additions and if we don't win the division, coaches' heads will roll, IMO.

6 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Ballard needs to stop worrying about getting buff, and figure out wth is going on with this team lol

Or stop wearing tight shirts a size below his size. :) 

Irsay: there will be changes!

Ballard: Reich is amazing, Eberflus is amazing, Wentz is amazing(just needs to make the layups), all our coaches are great. Our roster is great, we got 7 pro bowlers, WRs are great group, DEs are young and need time, OL is great, CBs are young and getting better... 

So yeah... this is kind of a slap in the face of every Colts fan that has been angry and distraught with what happened last two weeks. Not that I expected him to publicly roast the roster but yeah... that was kind of tone deaf to say the least. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Irsay: there will be changes!

Ballard: Reich is amazing, Eberflus is amazing, Wentz is amazing, all our coaches are great. Our roster is great, we got 7 pro bowlers, etc. 

Huh he’s not thrilled with him. I’m annoyed how he can say the WR core is talented though it’s not at all.

3 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Huh he’s not thrilled with him. I’m annoyed how he can say the WR core is talented though it’s not at all.

By saying Hines and Pascal were underutilized, he did indirectly hint at either QB or OC shortcomings that led to those things happening, IMO though he acknowledged a run focused offense as the year went on led to those declines too, but then turned around and said "we have to be able to pass the ball in this league" and ended up speaking through both sides of his mouth. :) 

I do think we add a pass catcher in the draft for sure, FA if it is the right price and/or fit. But nothing more. To an extent, once we add 1 alpha pass catcher in FA like Allen Robinson, I think we will have plenty of talent if the OL protects Wentz and he hits his "layups".

Yeah, I know he’s not gonna outright say he’s gonna change stuff, but it seems like his philosophy is staying the same.

If I had to be critical, thought his tone about where the team at was a bit too optimistic, but he probably just wants to defend against the backlash.

Definitely going with Wentz, but while he wasn’t super criticizing of him that’s about as meh I think he could sound on him.

Archived