Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard Press Conference

IrsaysArmy

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, MPStack said:

If the Colts fail to make the playoffs next season, Ballard should be on the hot seat. 

I think Wentz gets another shot at 2022 with more talent added, and if we don't make the playoffs, both he and Frank will be gone, IMO. Then Wentz can become an official coach killing QB, and like Van Helsing, his reputation will precede him.

One can only make an argument for Ballard if the team was so lop sided in talent that we were not competitive in games. So far, no one can make that argument because we were in 7 one score games, with a record of 2-5 in those, with a lead in several games. Same talent, don't show up for the last 2 games, it is not the one who purchased the groceries, it is the one that cooks it or oversees the cooking. That is as objective as you can view it.

53 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

The patriots did ok for a decade or so with the guy they relied on in the 6th round.

You know how much better the scouting and technology is today compared to when Brady was drafted.  Light years better.  Look at Brady's picture at the combine.  No athlete would dare show up looking like that.  There is way more effort now in the drafting and scouting area.  You go 6th rd now you your chances of being in the league for a few years is pretty low let alone make the team.

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think Wentz gets another shot at 2022 with more talent added, and if we don't make the playoffs, both he and Frank will be gone, IMO. Then Wentz can become an official coach killing QB, and like Van Helsing, his reputation will precede him.

One can only make an argument for Ballard if the team was so lop sided in talent that we were not competitive in games. So far, no one can make that argument because we were in 7 one score games, with a record of 2-5 in those, with a lead in several games. Same talent, don't show up for the last 2 games, it is not the one who purchased the groceries, it is the one that cooks it or oversees the cooking. That is as objective as you can view it.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/07/longest-tenured-gms-in-the-nfl-2

You take out the de facto GMs, and the average GM last about 5 years, before they are canned. 

26 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

You know how much better the scouting and technology is today compared to when Brady was drafted.  Light years better.  Look at Brady's picture at the combine.  No athlete would dare show up looking like that.  There is way more effort now in the drafting and scouting area.  You go 6th rd now you your chances of being in the league for a few years is pretty low let alone make the team.

I was just teasing Wentzszn,  Chances of even making a team as a 6th rounder has always been low.

6 minutes ago, MPStack said:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/07/longest-tenured-gms-in-the-nfl-2

You take out the de facto GMs, and the average GM last about 5 years, before they are canned. 

I don't know the last time we had guys playing special teams like Dulin and Odum contribute on offense and defense plus getting critical punt blocks and excellent coverage for the most part. Far cry from the Polian and even Grigson days, except for AV.

Rosters were top heavy before, not so now. If only Ballard had a QB worth some consistency, we would be in the playoffs with this talent and almost were. 

2 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I don't think he gets dumped but someone promoted the idea that they would bring in vets to challenge.  I could see that.  Jimmy G, Mariota, others as well.  Like the year we had majikowski, harbs, and someone else i can't remember fighting for the qb1 slot.

That’ll fling him into a full-blown pout attack.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I don't know the last time we had guys playing special teams like Dulin and Odum contribute on offense and defense plus getting critical punt blocks and excellent coverage for the most part. Far cry from the Polian and even Grigson days, except for AV.

Rosters were top heavy before, not so now. If only Ballard had a QB worth some consistency, we would be in the playoffs with this talent and almost were. 

The one thing Ballard has done very well is good depth on this roster. He just hasn’t done well at the skill positions on the top end. Not enough dynamic guys at those spots. WR and TE are lacking so bad.

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

The one thing Ballard has done very well is good depth on this roster. He just hasn’t done well at the skill positions on the top end. Not enough dynamic guys at those spots. WR and TE are lacking so bad.

Yes, that is where Polian was ahead of the curve. Grigson thought he could get by for the No.2 WR once Wayne started diminishing with castoffs like Darrius Heyward Bey, Hakeem Nicks, Andre Johnson etc. to go opposite TY and they did not work. He even drafted Dorsett, did not work. Only Polian got the skill positions right and in combination with a HOF QB in Peyton, lots of blemishes on the roster were covered. 

I think now that Ballard has great depth on the roster, it is time to get some alphas for the roster that can be difference makers on the WR, TE, CB front and once he does that, I think the team record will take off, IMO. With a good scheme, we might even be able to minimize pass rush deficiencies if our offense can sustain and finish more drives. 

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yes, that is where Polian was ahead of the curve. Grigson thought he could get by for the No.2 WR once Wayne started diminishing with castoffs like Darrius Heyward Bey, Hakeem Nicks, Andre Johnson etc. to go opposite TY and they did not work. He even drafted Dorsett, did not work. Only Polian got the skill positions right and in combination with a HOF QB in Peyton, lots of blemishes on the roster were covered. 

I think now that Ballard has great depth on the roster, it is time to get some alphas for the roster that can be difference makers on the WR, TE, CB front and once he does that, I think the team record will take off, IMO. With a good scheme, we might even be able to minimize pass rush deficiencies if our offense can sustain and finish more drives. 

Polian was a master!

Just now, chad72 said:

I like Ballard, and I’m optimistic (I think), that if Wentz gets a reliable TE and legit WR opposite Pittman, he’ll improve next season. 

You have to think, when Ballard made this trade, he thought the Colts were playoff caliber. Ultimately, it’s Ballard’s decision who and who not to trade for. 

Looking at Ballard’s tenure thus far, his roster can be carried to the playoffs, by elite QBs ( Luck, Rivers) and not by Brisket or Wentz.  

What does that say about the Colts roster after 5 years?

:dunno:

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

In a way that’s how KC and Bengals are building too. Hopefully Ballard figures it out.

3 minutes ago, Coltsbluefan said:

Somebody better ask Ballard about our skill position players,they stink and we need major upgrades to compete with the really good teams.He has done a terrible job of acquiring wr’s for this team.

I truly think this is why we are average. It’s a passing league. A offensive league. You need top level skill positions.

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

I like Ballard, and I’m optimistic (I think), that if Wentz gets a reliable TE and legit WR opposite Pittman, he’ll improve next season. 

You have to think, when Ballard made this trade, he thought the Colts were playoff caliber. Ultimately, it’s Ballard’s decision who and who not to trade for. 

Looking at Ballard’s tenure thus far, his roster can be carried to the playoffs, by elite QBs ( Luck, Rivers) and not by Brisket or Wentz.  

Packers, Bucs, Cowboys, Rams, Cardinals, 49ers, Eagles

Titans, Chiefs, Bills, Bengals, Raiders, Patriots, Steelers

Only the Eagles and Patriots have QBs worse than Wentz, IMO. Tannehill, IMO is slightly better but has a definitely more talented roster due to the Titans' FA moves, IMO. However, the Patriots we can agree have superior coaching and defensive talent. Eagles finished with the same record 9-8 but thanks to the NFC East, Falcons, Panthers, Lions etc. on their schedule, and probably Russell Wilson being MIA for several games, made the playoffs.

We win games vs the Raiders and/or Jaguars, then we are talking about us being the #5/6 seed in the playoffs and how we did not need an elite QB to take our team to the playoffs, right? 1 game is all the difference with an above average QB like Wentz who played below average in those last 2 games. Not the same with JB.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Are you only talking about QBs? Austin Ekeler was undrafted and led the league in scoring this year. 

I wonder if Sam was automatically discarded by scouts because of the physical limitations everyone talks about.  After watching Kurt Warner’s video, it seems like a strong mental game and a serviceable arm can take you very far.  Rivers never had a strong arm. Is Sam’s weaker than Rivers’ last year?

19 hours ago, chad72 said:

I view it differently.  That Frank and Flus are such good coaches that they keep us in the game for 3 quarters.  Then when the other team needs to make plays, their superior talent takes over to win the game by making the few important plays that our players never do.

Last year, nothing about BUF driving 94 yards with two minutes left in the first half to score a TD was about coaching.  What happened the first two and a half quarters of that game was akin to two boxers feeling each other out for a few rounds, IMO.

Then Rivers couldn't make the final drive to score.   We fail when it matters.  That's talent deficiency.  Coaching keeps us in the game until that point, IMO.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I view it differently.  That Frank and Flus are such good coaches that they keep us in the game for 3 quarters.  Then when the other team needs to make plays, their superior talent takes over to win the game by making the few important plays that our players never do.

Last year, nothing about BUF driving 94 yards with two minutes left in the first half to score a TD was about coaching.  What happened the first two and a half quarters of that game was akin to two boxers feeling each other out for a few rounds, IMO.

Then Rivers couldn't make the final drive to score.   We fail when it matters.  That's talent deficiency.  Coaching keeps us in the game until that point, IMO.

That is a "spin" to me. My view is that the coaches are unable to make adjustments with the same talent when the opposing team has made the adjustments and goes high octane. 

Constants and variables is all I deal with in my profession. The constants are the talent, the variables are "execution and coaching", with the coaching being a greater factor than talent. On certain fronts, when we have to keep up in a shootout, we are unable to because of the pass catching talent. That is borne out clearly across the season but in game adjustments, it is not about talent and is about coaching mostly. It is making excuses for the coaches. 2-5 in 1 score games is more about coaching than talent.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That is a "spin" to me. My view is that the coaches are unable to make adjustments with the same talent when the opposing team has made the adjustments and goes high octane. 

Constants and variables is all I deal with in my profession. The constants are the talent, the variables are "execution and coaching", a greater factor than talent. On certain fronts, when we have to keep up in a shootout, we are unable to because of the pass catching talent. That is borne out clearly across the season but in game adjustments, it is not about talent and is about coaching mostly. It is making excuses for the coaches. 

I don't think there is much a coach can do with Willis, Blackmon, and RYS other than to play soft zone.  Try to play Man or aggressive deep cover with that group and they will get burned.  And those are the starters that aren't even playing.

I think Rivers could not convert because he did not have anything close to an Antonio Gates or Keenan Allen last year.  He played like he was doing the best that he could with what he had.

I think Wentz not seeing the field is on Wentz.

JMO.

18 hours ago, MPStack said:

To make a like for like comparison.....our vaunted Bill Polian....who some may feel was all that, built a team with great talent at the skill positions. It appears they may feel that is superior to the way Ballard is building this team. (Not at you MP, but here comes a mini rant)

Well, that skill position cast won 1 SB over a long span of years.....and the Colts needed an ace defender to return to health in the nick of time just to make it there that season. It also bears note that Dwight, injured late in the season, likely kept us out in another year. Why didn't the skill players get us there anyway? Hmmm?

Fans feel all injured and crap, and just neeeeed to point a finger, assign blame, and feel better about their poor feelings. The reality is just one player going off, or a couple of plays here and there going the other way, and the season looks very different. 

This offensive line is better than any I have seen since Indy brought the Colts to town. They gutted it out big time despite having HUGE injury issues. They simply could not gather the cohesion needed in the last game to combat the kitchen sink that was thrown at them by a pretty formidable Jags D.....that line especially. I can't wait to see the Colts line next season if they can get to week one all intact and healthy. 

Fans act as if there is a cupboard of talent available each season for each position with each teams higher picks. Flash alert....there isn't. Instead of knee jerking and force filling certain positions, Ballard has taken the positions he felt were the best available. Some have not worked out (like all GM's), but many have. He has a plan thank the universe, but it si not designed to keep fans happy each step of the way. 

Heaven forbid we haven't won a * SB yet. Jesus, people. Last time I checked.....there are 32 teams. 32 teams! They are all on scholarship too. Their fans are just as rabid, just as demanding, and just as visionless. A first and a third pick...was not a bad deal for Carson. Try to imagine what 3 firsts would do to the Colts if that pick failed. Think about it! Just imagine the ridiculous carnage that this board would display if we had 3 years of this moaning. 

They are doing the best they can...players included. Here is a novel idea.....support them! Tell you what, if Ballard gets the incredible opportunity to draft a Peyton like QB, and gets as many years as Bill did to get just one SB...would all fans be satisfied?

Ya, we all know the answer to that. 

3 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

To make a like for like comparison.....our vaunted Bill Polian....who some may feel was all that, built a team with great talent at the skill positions. It appears they may feel that is superior to the way Ballard is building this team. (Not at you MP, but here comes a mini rant)

Well, that skill position cast won 1 SB over a long span of years.....and the Colts needed an ace defender to return to health in the nick of time just to make it there that season. It also bears note that Dwight, injured late in the season, likely kept us out in another year. Why didn't the skill players get us there anyway? Hmmm?

Fans feel all injured and crap, and just neeeeed to point a finger, assign blame, and feel better about their poor feelings. The reality is just one player going off, or a couple of plays here and there going the other way, and the season looks very different. 

This offensive line is better than any I have seen since Indy brought the Colts to town. They gutted it out big time despite having HUGE injury issues. They simply could not gather the cohesion needed in the last game to combat the kitchen sink that was thrown at them by a pretty formidable Jags D.....that line especially. I can't wait to see the Colts line next season if they can get to week one all intact and healthy. 

Fans act as if there is a cupboard of talent available each season for each position with each teams higher picks. Flash alert....there isn't. Instead of knee jerking and force filling certain positions, Ballard has taken the positions he felt were the best available. Some have not worked out (like all GM's), but many have. He has a plan thank the universe, but it si not designed to keep fans happy each step of the way. 

Heaven forbid we haven't won a * SB yet. Jesus, people. Last time I checked.....there are 32 teams. 32 teams! They are all on scholarship too. Their fans are just as rabid, just as demanding, and just as visionless. A first and a third pick...was not a bad deal for Carson. Try to imagine what 3 firsts would do to the Colts if that pick failed. Think about it! Just imagine the ridiculous carnage that this board would display if we had 3 years of this moaning. 

They are doing the best they can...players included. Here is a novel idea.....support them! Tell you what, if Ballard gets the incredible opportunity to draft a Peyton like QB, and gets as many years as Bill did to get just one SB...would all fans be satisfied?

I say this all the time that 31 teams will be disappointed no matter what. Only 1 team can win a SB. I think losing to the Jags is what has everyone pee'd off and myself. If we can't we beat them when the marbles are on the line then we need changes. We will always have 2006 though, better than other great franchises like the Bills, Vikings, Chargers, and Dan Marino. So yeah it could be a lot worse.

12 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Great post!

Let me say this, I have been critical, but supportive of Ballard. CB preaches patience and that he won’t force anything.

I don’t have issues with his philosophy as long as it’s not 1 step forward and 2 back.

That’s what’s happening with the Colts.

Did he force the Brissett and specifically the Wentz trade and signings for example. 

Was the roster or rosters at such a point, that a QB was all that was needed to make the next jump? If, not then you don’t force it and continue to build, until a greater, better, smarter opportunity is there to find that QB.  Not force it!

I don’t know if Wentz is going to be the guy, but if he isn’t, the trade hurt the Colts and that’s only on one person. 

IMO this is Ballard’s most important off-season going into year six. 

Go Colts!

22 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Not to the SB.  But they got us to division titles and playoffs every year, and deep into the playoffs several times. 

Instead of skill positions, maybe a better term is Passing Game Assets.  EDGE, LT, Corner, and WR are PGAs because they are often left on an island to outplay their opposing PGA player.  

All Gs tend to get help with double teams and when doubling teaming.  And 43 LBs primarily spot the ball carrier and tackle him.

The Colts won the SB when Polian finally got the cornerbacks and the 3T.  And a play maker in Sanders in the secondary.  The offense was SB quality for about 8 years.

Archived