Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard Press Conference

IrsaysArmy

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will go out on a limb and predict that Wentz is gone by March 19th.  He is not the answer and can’t even get team to the playoffs.  What do you gain by keeping him, other than a few million in cap space?  Just because you gave up something in the past for him doesn’t mean you continue the mistake. 

That is the sunk cost fallacy. 

Last year regarding Rivers, Ballard said that due to his age, they needed to explore other options but would meet again in a month. Rivers read between the lines and retired. I agree that you can get a lot of info from these video calls. 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Who here thinks Wentz gets dumped?  I think Flus is gone...D and Oline coaches r gone. Frank gives up play calling to focus more on coaching.

I doubt we will see a lot of changes just a lot of talk about self-scouting and improving less optimal areas. Frank seems like the kind of guy who gives his players and coaches 7,000 chances before he fires them and I’m not sure Ballard is any different. 

3 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

It will be on the APP, Facebook, and colts.com live. 

Hopefully I am home in time. I have to go to dentist and get a crown tomorrow. Not looking forward to that but I will be excited to come home and listen to this.

Can't be any worse than watching Sunday's game. 

8 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

I will go out on a limb and predict that Wentz is gone by March 19th.  He is not the answer and can’t even get team to the playoffs.  What do you gain by keeping him, other than a few million in cap space?  Just because you gave up something in the past for him doesn’t mean you continue the mistake. 

That is the sunk cost fallacy. 

Last year regarding Rivers, Ballard said that due to his age, they needed to explore other options but would meet again in a month. Rivers read between the lines and retired. I agree that you can get a lot of info from these video calls. 

That is is easy to say. But if not him then who? 

26 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I'm still waiting g for your predictions all knowing lol.

Keep waiting.   I’ve learned the hard way dealing with you is a complete waste of time. 

There is much I could say here, but the Mods would strongly disapprove. 

As for the team, I expect some changes.   You can’t finish the way we did and not expect changes.  What they will be, I don’t know.  

I’ll have more thoughts after I hear Ballard tomorrow. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Keep waiting.   I’ve learned the hard way dealing with you is a complete waste of time. 

There is much I could say here, but the Mods would strongly disapprove. 

As for the team, I expect some changes.   You can’t finish the way we did and not expect changes.  What they will be, I don’t know.  

I’ll have more thoughts after I hear Ballard tomorrow. 

Trust me u can say what u want to me. I am not a snitch like others in this forum who complain to mods. I have been a child protection worker, so trust me, I have been  called everything lol.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Who here thinks Wentz gets dumped?  I think Flus is gone...D and Oline coaches r gone. Frank gives up play calling to focus more on coaching.

I don't think he gets dumped but someone promoted the idea that they would bring in vets to challenge.  I could see that.  Jimmy G, Mariota, others as well.  Like the year we had majikowski, harbs, and someone else i can't remember fighting for the qb1 slot.

I firmly believe that Ballard will say something like this, "Look.  We didn't play well down the stretch.  We know that and you know that.  Look.  We need to make some changes.  Some of them hard to make but, needed."  I don't think we'll hear tomorrow what those changes will be but, there will be coaching changes as well as players released and others pursued via FA and waivers.  Well see that in short order, I'd expect.  One of the coaches that will not be let go or will only be leaving if he receives a HC job is Eberflus.  Will there be changes made to the D?  Without question.  Schematically as well as personnel wise, you'll see changes.  Same with the offense.  Frank's gotta release the play calling to a legitimate OC, step back and manage the team as the CEO.  Many of our offensive failures are a direct result of Frank's handling. 

I believe Frank deserves another year to prove his worth but, if he falters like he did this year, it's time to move on.  Just my opinion.    

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Trust me u can say what u want to me. I am not a snitch like others in this forum who complain to mods. I have been a child protection worker, so trust me, I have been  called everything lol.

You don’t have to be a snitch.   If I post here what I’d like, the Mods will see it for themselves.   And I’ll get suspended.   I’d like to avoid that.   Respectfully, you’re not worth it. 

33 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I doubt we will see a lot of changes just a lot of talk about self-scouting and improving less optimal areas. Frank seems like the kind of guy who gives his players and coaches 7,000 chances before he fires them and I’m not sure Ballard is any different. 

Well, for a position as crucial as the QB, they have been very willing to make changes quickly. We were all saying "hey, JB got surprised by Luck's retirement without a full TC as starter with starter reps". While that were true, he did have 16 games to show the coaches what he could do even if they scaled it upwards gradually w.r.t his responsibilities. They pulled the trigger quickly once Rivers became available. Same thing with Wentz - when Rivers headed off into the sunset, and the chance came up to bring Wentz in here with an out after 2 years, they did not wait to act.

So, there are certain areas where more rope is given and certain areas where they are quick to make a change. Just goes to show you their moves are measured and not knee jerk. Just my observation. :) 

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I have been a child protection worker, so trust me, I have been  called everything lol.

Kudos.  Tough line of work.  My work involves working with them here and there.  It is much appreciated what you do or have done.

36 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

That is is easy to say. But if not him then who? 

Is it possible that Sam Ehlinger is better than Wentz and consistently improving? 

I think Reich already believes he is. And maybe they can find someone even better, but worst case they have Sam. 

Wentz’s 2021 season was approximately as good as his 2020 season. Unlike Rivers who dealt with same issues, Wentz’s EPA got worse as season wore on, not better. 

I firmly believed Reich could rehabilitate Wentz but the experiment failed. Time to move on. Jeff Saturday agrees. 

14 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Kudos.  Tough line of work.  My work involves working with them here and there.  It is much appreciated what you do or have done.

Yea, I currently work with intellectually challenged adults. Much less stress. Doing protection makes one jaded. Maybe that's why people refer to me as negative on this board lol??

14 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Is it possible that Sam Ehlinger is better than Wentz and consistently improving? 

I think Reich already believes he is. And maybe they can find someone even better, but worst case they have Sam. 

Wentz’s 2021 season was approximately as good as his 2020 season. Unlike Rivers who dealt with same issues, Wentz’s EPA got worse as season wore on, not better. 

I firmly believed Reich could rehabilitate Wentz but the experiment failed. Time to move on. Jeff Saturday agrees. 

Not gonna happen.   Wentz will be the QB next year

33 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

If they are  relying on a sixth round guy this team is in trouble .

16 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

People complain to mods? About what? 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Well, for a position as crucial as the QB, they have been very willing to make changes quickly. We were all saying "hey, JB got surprised by Luck's retirement without a full TC as starter with starter reps". While that were true, he did have 16 games to show the coaches what he could do even if they scaled it upwards gradually w.r.t his responsibilities. They pulled the trigger quickly once Rivers became available. Same thing with Wentz - when Rivers headed off into the sunset, and the chance came up to bring Wentz in here with an out after 2 years, they did not wait to act.

So, there are certain areas where more rope is given and certain areas where they are quick to make a change. Just goes to show you their moves are measured and not knee jerk. Just my observation. :) 

Sure, but I’m betting Frank will vouch for Wentz again. That and Ballard feels we have too much money invested in him to let him go. 

Brissett was a gamble really the only option given Luck’s timing. They felt he could do the job - he couldn’t and thankfully got Rivers instead. Rivers was a proven veteran who if nothing else could provide leadership and experience. On top of that Reich had experience with him.
Wentz is different because while he had his best year with Reich (like Rivers) he had several years of mediocricy and a bad year with total a collapse and a benching afterwards (unlike Rivers). 

It’s more than just players though. 

We’ve stuck with Eberflus for too long. He had his shot at making this defense good but the only thing keeping it afloat this season has been peanut punches and interceptions. 
Brian Baker has had our dline producing zip. 

There’s so many areas that could do with a change but I very much doubt we will see any notable changes this off season. 

Is anyone considering the fact that they have to maybe give Wentz more than one year? I mean we traded a first and a third for the guy. Wouldn't it be a little soon to completely cut ties? With the history of Reich and Frank I think it is fair to say we will always have a "quality" backup QB. Reichs entire life theme seems to center around backup QB play. The question is will they really risk putting the fate of our team in Wentz hands again? I'm getting a little concerned, 53 & 56 are becoming older vets, we might miss our window soon if we can't find some type of consistency at QB

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Is anyone considering the fact that they have to maybe give Wentz more than one year? I mean we traded a first and a third for the guy. Wouldn't it be a little soon to completely cut ties? With the history of Reich and Frank I think it is fair to say we will always have a "quality" backup QB. Reichs entire life theme seems to center around backup QB play. The question is will they really risk putting the fate of our team in Wentz hands again? I'm getting a little concerned, 53 & 56 are becoming older vets, we might miss our window soon if we can't find some type of consistency at QB

Nelson is only 25. He has ten years left.

9 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Look how good Mills is playing in Houston. He was a third round pick. He is playing so well it looks like they may have a future with him. To bad for colts they gave up on their 4th round pick.

Well, Eason had nearly more than a year to show them something in practice, TC and pre-season, and Mills showed his team far more as a rookie. 

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

I’m not saying Ehlinger would be terrible, but I think he’d be easy to scheme against. Teams wouldn’t have to cover deep. Wouldn’t be getting many chunk plays with his arm talent.

I think he’d even struggle to hit short/medium throws to the outside against NFL talent.

While this is true I could see him being a lot like rivers and would probably get our play makers a lot of YAC. He would at least take the  checkdown. If you can get 20 to 25 yard passing plays probably could be ok. He hit some bombs in the preseason. The biggest thing with him is he doesn’t have velocity to hit those boundary plays. 

Archived