Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RG3 will be a bust

66 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about RG3 beging a bust

• Your spot on
    • Your an idot he will be amazing
    • Just wait and see your getting a head of your self

I don't know yet.

Certainly, Griffin has QB talent, and has shown that at the collegiate level.

Certainly, Griffin has athletic ability, and has shown that as well.

Certainly, Griffin has intelligence, and has shown that as well.

What is uncertain are his maturity and his ability to withstand the common pitfalls of being a QB at the professional level.

Can he overcome the temptations of:

1) wealth

2) ego (over-confidence and attitude)

3) laziness

4) substance abuse

which have been the downfall of several professional football players in the past.

Had to vote wait and see, because why i don't think he will be as good as everyones making him out to be. I don't completey agree 100% with what you say. I think he will have moderate sucess and then fizzle out. Kinda like Young.

Thank you Nostradamus. Can you please tell me who will win the NBA finals this year and if so in how many games as well? You're getting ahead of yourself assuming RGIII will be a bust. Griffin hasn't even taken a snap in the NFL yet.

I would have to say the Thunder in 7.

It's the Grizzlies year. hence the name GrizzColt. OKC is afraid, we were minutes away from beating them last year.

1. RG3 talks way too much for a top of the draft QB. Name one great NFL QB who "liked" to talk? Theisman maybe...Redskins?

2. Didn't play the pro offense. How do you know he will be good at skating if he's never skated before?

3. Big arm <> success. If it did, then TAnnehill would be ranked number one according to the experts.

4. One year wonder. Only 1 great year.

5. Pocket passer who surprisingly ran a lot...imagine that.

I really like this guy. But i feel like he will be a BIG bust. You look at him and he dose have talent. But hes a late blumer and he still is bluming but i dont feel the NFL is a place for him. Kinda like Jamarcus Russell. Running QB who can throw, but idt he will be to good.

Not sure which is worse, the grammar in the poll and the explanation or the logic behind the conclusion. Both are lacking.

What is uncertain are his maturity and his ability to withstand the common pitfalls of being a QB at the professional level.

Can he overcome the temptations of:

1) wealth

2) ego (over-confidence and attitude)

3) laziness

4) substance abuse

which have been the downfall of several professional football players in the past.

Couldn't you make that generic argument concerning pretty much any QB (or any other player, for that matter) picked near the top of the draft?

I really like this guy. But i feel like he will be a BIG bust. You look at him and he dose have talent. But hes a late blumer and he still is bluming but i dont feel the NFL is a place for him. Kinda like Jamarcus Russell. Running QB who can throw, but idt he will be to good.

How exactly is RGIII like JaMarcus Russell anyways?!?! If you are insisting Russell was a 'running QB', you obvious do not follow the NFL and just sound like the typical ill-informed 'fan' relying too heavily on bias instead of facts. So please entertain us with your ill-advised comparison, sir. (Taking a sit with my popcorn, awaiting the entertaining response...).

Wait a season or two before you speculate if he is a bust.

A QB is usually given three seasons before one can determine if he's a bust (except for Alex Smith, whose's been given several). But at least you're more realistic than the OP...

Nobody knows how hard these guys will work when they get paid. Even Luck.... But I think AL is going to be fine. He has been working with T Moore, he has worked out for any team wanting him to. Dude called his own plays half the season last year. And he is from a affluent family, he already has money. Luck is as safe a bet at QB IMO since Peyton.

RG3 ???? I bugs me a bit he refused to workout for Indy. And his comments about being "fine" with backing up Manning bother me a bit. And this guy played with some outstanding talent around him. Just glad I don't have to worry about RG3.

Outstanding talent?!?! You mean that juggernaunt known as the Baylor Bears??? lmao!!! Let's compare:

RG3 played with ONE player who is a borderline 1st round pick (but likely early second rounder) at WR.

Luck played with TWO offensive linemen who are sure-fire 1st round picks, and a tightend who is a borderline 1st round pick, not to mention a potent consistent running game that would ALWAYS take pressure off any QB.

Last I checked, 3 > 1... If you do not like a guy, that's fine. But your 'claims' are nutty at best...

Hmmm let's see...

Mike Vick Legs

Jeff George Arm

Steve Young Brain

Going to a Mike Shanahan Coached team

Stable Family Background - from a home with both Parents

By all accounts a practicing and faithful Christian

Yeah, he's got bust written all over him. </sarcasm>

If this were 1998 and it is RGIII vs Peyton Manning at the top of the draft, I select RGIII hands down. That is how confident I am that this guy is the real deal. Unfortunately for him, it is 2012 and he is going up against a bigger, stronger, faster, smarter Peyton Manning in Andrew Luck.

(slams down the microphone)

Or like Cam Newton, Michael Vick, Steve Young, Warren Moon, Aaron Rodgers...

Those are all QB's who can run. RGIII has always been a pass-first guy. If you think otherwise, you simply haven't watched him.

I promise you, he will have a better start to his career than will Andrew Luck. That doesn't mean he will end up more successful, but he will be more ready for the big stage than Luck will be.

By more ready, do you mean him personally or his team? I would say the Redskins are more ready for success now since they have more pieces in place on their roster. But I think Luck is the more pro-ready QB

Hmmm let's see...

Mike Vick Legs

Jeff George Arm

Steve Young Brain

Going to a Mike Shanahan Coached team

Stable Family Background - from a home with both Parents

By all accounts a practicing and faithful Christian

Yeah, he's got bust written all over him. </sarcasm>

If this were 1998 and it is RGIII vs Peyton Manning at the top of the draft, I select RGIII hands down. That is how confident I am that this guy is the real deal. Unfortunately for him, it is 2012 and he is going up against a bigger, stronger, faster, smarter Peyton Manning in Andrew Luck.

(slams down the microphone)

That is as obscene as the guy calling him to be a bust.

Outstanding talent?!?! You mean that juggernaunt known as the Baylor Bears??? lmao!!! Let's compare:

RG3 played with ONE player who is a borderline 1st round pick (but likely early second rounder) at WR.

Luck played with TWO offensive linemen who are sure-fire 1st round picks, and a tightend who is a borderline 1st round pick, not to mention a potent consistent running game that would ALWAYS take pressure off any QB.

Last I checked, 3 > 1... If you do not like a guy, that's fine. But your 'claims' are nutty at best...

Do some homework, I'm done doing it for ill informed folk.

I promise you, he will have a better start to his career than will Andrew Luck. That doesn't mean he will end up more successful, but he will be more ready for the big stage than Luck will be.

What are you basing this prediction off? Maybe the fact Griffin comes from a spread offense while Luck comes from a prostyle perhaps? Or maybe that Luck has been consistently the best looking QB for 2 years and Griffin wasnt even on the 1st round radar until midway into this last season?

I like Griffin but I dont get what your seeing in your crystal ball.

Id say in terms of team talent both the Redskins and Colts are pretty much equally as bad too at this point with the Colts recent signings.

What are you basing this prediction off? Maybe the fact Griffin comes from a spread offense while Luck comes from a prostyle perhaps? Or maybe that Luck has been consistently the best looking QB for 2 years and Griffin wasnt even on the 1st round radar until midway into this last season?

I like Griffin but I dont get what your seeing in your crystal ball.

Id say in terms of team talent both the Redskins and Colts are pretty much equally as bad too at this point with the Colts recent signings.

Colts and Redskins are not close in talent.

You never know. It's difficult to evaluate talent during a complete overhaul. Some teams respond unusually well to that kind of thing, they bring in a bunch of the right pieces to compliment a few existing pieces that play better than expected and it makes for a surprising turnaround. The Broncos defense did that under Mike Nolan during McDaniels' first year as did the Packers under Capers.

If I'm putting money on it, though, the Colts have a lot more to prove and are a season or two behind the Skins defensively (rebuild-wise). Offensively, I honestly think the difference is going to come down to QB play above all else and the draft also stands to make quite the impact. If both QBs were to play equally well and we were to pretend that the draft only consisted of those first two picks, I think the Skins would get more out of their talent at all of the skill positions. That just isn't realistic at all, though, and the Colts acquiring a talented young receiver and TE would dramatically level the playing field.

RG3 ???? I bugs me a bit he refused to workout for Indy. And his comments about being "fine" with backing up Manning bother me a bit. And this guy played with some outstanding talent around him. Just glad I don't have to worry about RG3.

Griffin on backing up Manning:

"Definitely I would come in to compete to be the starter but I wouldn't be upset if Peyton Manning was the starting quarterback of the team that I'm on."

"So it would be an honor to sit behind him and learn. I'd hold that clipboard with pride."

Doesn't sound so bad to me.

I think RG3 will be good, but I see it taking a long time for him and Washington to become a relavent team. With the way Snyder runs that show, he would do best to get out of his own way, get a good GM in there, and let everything fall into place.

I have much more confidence in RG3 than I did in Cam Newton, heck I'm still not sold on Newton.

You're a few years behind on the state of the Redskins. We've have had a bona fide GM (Bruce Allen) since the end of the 2009 season. Snyder has since noticeably relinquished much of the influence he exerted before that point. If anyone in the organization is too powerful, it might be Shanahan... after him would be Allen... then Snyder.

If you really need proof, our draft and free agent strategy has been radically different. We've focused on acquiring more younger talent, guys with leadership qualities, and have emphasized second tier value players more than the big names available. It's not necessarily an obvious difference to those who don't follow the team closely when you still see us giving Garcon $42 mil. However, the old way of doing business would have involved substantially outbidding Tampa for Vincent Jackson (likely driving his price up close to highest paid receiver territory).

What are you basing this off?

The Colts won 2 games with probably the worst starting QB play (much worse than even Rex Grossman) and the worst coaching staff ive seen in a long long time. One could make the case that if the Colts had simply started Orvlosky, even with Caldwell's laughable coaching, they would have won 4-5 games...right on par with the Redskins.

I certainly felt the Colts were lacking the talent to be a real SB contender with Manning back but they arent completely void of it IMO. Alot of the reason the Colts looked so horrific at times to me was more so due to the reasons I listed above. Not having a QB who can throw 5 yards or coaches who know what theyre doing pretty much renders the rest of your team talent completely useless.

The Colts have added some decent FAs, cleaned out the old staff and will upgrade the QB position (even if Luck is a bust he probably wont be Painter bad). That alone makes them much improved.

What are you basing this off?

The Colts won 2 games with probably the worst starting QB play (much worse than even Rex Grossman) and worst coaching staff ive seen in a long long time. One could make the case that if the Colts had simply started Orvlosky, even with Caldwell's laughable coaching, they would have won 4-5 games...right on par with the Redskins.

Both teams are lacking in talent overall. I see the win disparity last season being more so due to horrible QB play and coaching.

The Colts have added some decent FAs, cleaned out the old staff and will upgrade the QB position (even if Luck is a bust he probably wont be Painter bad). That alone makes them much improved.

Basing it on current roster composition. I give Wash an edge.

Couldn't you make that generic argument concerning pretty much any QB (or any other player, for that matter) picked near the top of the draft?

Yes, you could make that generic argument concerning any draft prospect.

But it would not make sense to do so with draft prospects that understand the pitfalls associated with new-found wealth, who have consistently demonstrated a lack of ego, high work ethic; and have not been susceptible to addictions.

IMO, some draft prospects are less likely to fall victim to these potential vices than others, given their past and current behavior and attitudes.

You're a few years behind on the state of the Redskins. We've have had a bona fide GM (Bruce Allen) since the end of the 2009 season. Snyder has since noticeably relinquished much of the influence he exerted before that point. If anyone in the organization is too powerful, it might be Shanahan... after him would be Allen... then Snyder.

If you really need proof, our draft and free agent strategy has been radically different. We've focused on acquiring more younger talent, guys with leadership qualities, and have emphasized second tier value players more than the big names available. It's not necessarily an obvious difference to those who don't follow the team closely when you still see us giving Garcon $42 mil. However, the old way of doing business would have involved substantially outbidding Tampa for Vincent Jackson (likely driving his price up close to highest paid receiver territory).

Well then it seems I stand corrected. Guess it just goes to show my complete lack of care involving anything that goes on in DC....no offense. :)

Basing it on current roster composition. I give Wash an edge.

In all honesty I don't think Indy is as bad roster wise as many. And as far as the Redskins, I am really starting to think Shanny made his reputation early by coaching some LEGENDS of the NFL.

Young, Elway, Sharpe, and a plethora of ALL PRO talent on the early 90 49ers, and the mid to late 90 Broncos.

Since... well... Shanny has had his moments. But one thing comes to the fore front. A "great" QB gets you "great" results.

I just don't know how this will turn out for RG3. He has crazy talent but playing winning football in the NFL is so dependent on so many other factors. You just don't know until you find out.

RG3 had one of the nations "BEST" corp of skill position players in the BCS last season. That means nothing really in the big picture. But when the bullets start flying in the NFL and P Garcon drops the first drive killing catch of his LONG Washington stay........... ?

How happy will RG3 be then? Don't really know. But with Luck you do at least have a 3 year period where he ran the gambit of talent on the team.

Do some homework, I'm done doing it for ill informed folk.

Obviously I HAVE done my 'homework', what did I post that wasn't fact? Bias opinion is hardly homework. Your 'Ill informed' card is a weak cop-out. Especially since It's obvious who hasn't done their homework...

@John Dee...And you could not refute what did I post as non-factual (or just too lazy). Opinion is hardly homework. You stated that RGIII have some of the 'best' skill position among BCS teams, which is laughable at best...lmao!!!. HIs surrounding cast wasn't even the best in his own conference. Oklahoma AND Oklahoma St skill players dwarfs Baylors'. And don't get me started with half the SEC conference teams. So if I'm what you would call 'ill inform' (which is a weak cop-out when one cannot admit their foolish error), from what I've read of your posts on this topic, that would be considered a compliment...

RG3 > Luck

:)

No comment ;)

Well then it seems I stand corrected. Guess it just goes to show my complete lack of care involving anything that goes on in DC....no offense. :)

None taken. I try my hardest not to pay attention to a lot of the stuff that goes on around here myself :P

In all honesty I don't think Indy is as bad roster wise as many. And as far as the Redskins, I am really starting to think Shanny made his reputation early by coaching some LEGENDS of the NFL.

Young, Elway, Sharpe, and a plethora of ALL PRO talent on the early 90 49ers, and the mid to late 90 Broncos.

Since... well... Shanny has had his moments. But one thing comes to the fore front. A "great" QB gets you "great" results.

While I wouldn't discount the notion that the majority of Shanahan's success owes itself to the presence of NFL legends, there's plenty of compelling evidence that he's one of the best offensive minds out there even if he has faults as a head coach. Just look at the relatively improved level of play he's gotten out of virtually every quarterback and running back who has ever played for him (McNabb standing as one of few exceptions - but even he was on pace for a career high or two prior to his benching).

There's also a bit of a chicken or the egg question inherent to practically ALL famous QB-coach combinations. For example, is Bill Walsh regarded as an all-time great without NFL legends at QB or are they NFL legends because of Walsh? It's honestly not much less complicated with Shanahan. The vast majority of Elway's career was spent working with Shanahan (starting long before 1995) and the Broncos only had one playoff win in Elway's entire career where Shanahan was not on staff as a QB coach, OC, or head coach.

At the end of the day, he might not be the best in the league right now or ever but he's still accomplished things that few other coaches have. I'm honestly baffled that you guys were only able to get one ring out of Peyton when Dungy was at the helm. That's a pretty good QB-coach pairing. It's also pretty incredible that Shula didn't get anything from Marino. Goes to show you just how hard winning a Super Bowl really is.